Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The mercury one is amusing because almost everyone over a certain age will remember having mercurochrome rubbed into minor wounds, which has an order of magnitude or two* more organomercury than vaccines and isn't widely sold anymore, yet vaccines something something massive recent increase in autism.

Also I bet they eat seafood.

* 100 is 1 x 102

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Endjinneer posted:

One of the strange things about the anti-vaccine movement is that people in different countries have different reasons for opposing vaccination. It's autism in the UK, supposed mercury content in the US... Almost like there's an innate level of fear that need something to coalesce around.

I thought it was the same in the UK and the USA, the idea was the mercury caused the autism?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Isn't the reason for anti-vaxers worldwide just idiocy?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I thought it was because Bill Gates put a microchip in the vaccine that turns you into a Jaffa?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

keep punching joe posted:

I thought it was because Bill Gates put a microchip in the vaccine that turns you into a Jaffa?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oh, I thought you meant the cake.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
kree, jaffa! :catstare:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh, I thought you meant the biscuit.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
So mandatory quarantine when entering the country after just under a year of global pandemic. No poo poo, dickwads

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Dead Goon posted:

For a lot of people it's idiocy, for others it's that desperate pattern-matching thing you do when suffering from grief, and for others it's a different kind of idiocy, a particularly obnoxious and dangerous kayfabe where they don't actually believe, but are prepared to gamble with the health of their and other's kids because it gives them a sense of superiority over the normies

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

marktheando posted:

I thought it was the same in the UK and the USA, the idea was the mercury caused the autism?
I think it's a separate thing.
https://www.msdmanuals.com/en-gb/professional/pediatrics/childhood-vaccination/anti-vaccination-movement

quote:

Wakefield postulated that the measles virus in the MMR vaccine traveled to the intestine where it caused inflammation, enabling proteins from the GI tract to enter the bloodstream, travel to the brain, and cause autism. This study received significant media attention worldwide, and many parents began to doubt the safety of the MMR vaccine. In another study, Wakefield claimed to find the measles virus in intestinal biopsy specimens of 75 of 90 children with autism and in only 5 of 70 control patients, leading to speculation that the live measles virus in the MMR vaccine was somehow implicated in autism.

In parts of the global south the conspiracy theory is that vaccination is a covert sterilisation project and in parts of the global brainbroke vaccination is seen as Bill Gates trying to put microchips in you.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

sassassin posted:

Anyone understand the ICO's data protection payment racket? I think we have to pay them as we do technically keep names, some qualifications of contractors and the occasional contact number on file as part of contract documentation we produce (which is shared with contractors and clients), and I guess that falls outside their broad list of exceptions (staff admin, accounts, own marketing and pr etc.) but I'm not sure if it counts as data or processing or whatever. We don't use any CCTV.

It's only £40/£60 but I'm sick of these schemes banging on the door demanding cash for existing.

I feel your pain. I did the ICO self-assessment quiz thing about 3 years ago and the outcome was I didn't need to register as I did not have any sort of email signups or logins on my website and any such data* I kept was purely to perform the contract and satisfy professional indemnity insurance. No 'processing', no newsletters etc.

Then I read some posts from others in my line of business on facebook on this topic and emailed ICO to confirm.
Many months later they replied saying that as there was a contact email address on my website (for prospective clients to contact me), then I had to register for this! A single, sole, solitary contact email address (I don't put my phone number on there and don't use a contact form.)

Now, whether they didn't read my email properly as I have found many 'first line of response' customer service people seem not to do - as in sending a generic response that has picked up two words in your whole email and bear no relationship to the question you asked, or whether it is correct I do not know.

I haven't done anything yet as I haven't done any work in that business for a year now (covid etc) so it would be yet more money forked out against zero income. I terminated membership of a professional organisation for the same reason - $200 p.a. for registration and repeated demands for more and more credentialing including $300 for recredentialing the exact same credentials they had already approved 5 years earlier.

(*I do know that 'data' includes paper records not just electronic records.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 15, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wachter posted:

for others it's a different kind of idiocy, a particularly obnoxious and dangerous kayfabe where they don't actually believe, but ... because it gives them a sense of superiority over the normies
False witnesses continues to be relevant.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Oh, I thought you meant the cake.

The 5G nanomachines have a diagnostic marker where they cause anyone they have infected to flip their memory of the Jaffa VAT ruling between biscuits and cakes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I feel your pain. I did the ICO self-assessment quiz thing about 3 years ago and the outcome was I didn't need to register as I did not have any sort of email signups or logins on my website and any such data* I kept was purely to perform the contract and satisfy professional indemnity insurance. No 'processing', no newsletters etc.

Then I read some posts from others in my line of business on facebook on this topic and emailed ICO to confirm.
Many months later they replied saying that as there was a contact email address on my website (for prospective clients to contact me), then I had to register for this! A single, sole, solitary contact email address (I don't put my phone number on there and don't use a contact form.)

Now, whether they didn't read my email properly as I have found many 'first line of response' customer service people seem not to do - as in sending a generic response that has picked up two words in your whole email and bear no relationship to the question you asked, or whether it is correct I do not know.

I haven't done anything yet as I haven't done any work in that business for a year now (covid etc) so it would be yet more money forked out against zero income. I terminated membership of a professional organisation for the same reason - $200 p.a. for registration and repeated demands for more and more credentialing including $300 for recredentialing the exact same credentials they had already approved 5 years earlier.

(*I do know that 'data' includes paper records not just electronic records.)

FSC certification is the big timber industry scam. Expensive logo that gets more expensive every year, a lot of extra paperwork to complete to satisfy their audits, and most companies proudly declaring it are only committed to "mixed sources" which tells the customer next to nothing about the provenance and sustainability of the timber they're buying (which is supposedly the whole point of the scheme) as it means only a designated percentage of what they buy will be to the published standards. The rest can be illegal rainforest plunder or whatever, you can't know. The chain of custody requirement meant that once a couple of the big companies took it on everyone had to get on board with it. The auditors are the only people coming out ahead.

Just going to pay these people for their amazing service, whatever it is. Not worth the time or hassle to argue with them (which is what they're counting on, obviously).

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
ISO 9001 compliant quality management is required for a lot of public sector contracts. It's just as noble an idea as your FSC certification, but in practice the auditors are happy to only look at what you want to show them and it's less representative of capability than the scouts' circus skills badge.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
prince2 public sector IT shite makes me want to drive my car into the sea tbh

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Endjinneer posted:

I think it's a separate thing.
https://www.msdmanuals.com/en-gb/professional/pediatrics/childhood-vaccination/anti-vaccination-movement

In parts of the global south the conspiracy theory is that vaccination is a covert sterilisation project and in parts of the global brainbroke vaccination is seen as Bill Gates trying to put microchips in you.

Amusingly* Wakefield is back in action on COVID to reverse over his plausibility in case it wasn't already fully dead.

https://mobile.twitter.com/skepticalraptor/status/1349507545057161216

* not that amusing actually

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
there is no way that isn't david icke with a bad dye job

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The people who are scared about strands of genetic material going inside their cells are going to hate how the virus works.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Guavanaut posted:

The people who are scared about strands of genetic material going inside their cells are going to hate how the virus works.

Yes but it's okay when God does it

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

He looks more like a reconstituted Nick Griffin

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Endjinneer posted:

Given US experimentation on african-americans with syphilis etc, and I'm sure elsewhere eg in Africa but I don't have any specifics without googling, and so on, that doesn't surprise me and is understandable that they should be suspicious.

Tuskegee:

https://www.cdc.gov/tuskegee/timeline.htm

Some experiments in Africa:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_experimentation_in_Africa

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Clare Craig is another covid truther doctor and also absolutely awful.

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrDomPimenta/status/1348708780545089545

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Dead Goon posted:

I think for the most part (leaving aside conmen and charlatans) I think the medical knowledge of most people is pretty poor and this transfers over to how well they trust the medical profession, amplified if theres recent scandals.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I mean even ITT there were people saying they wouldn't trust a vaccine towards the end of last year

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
GUBERMINT WANT TO DUM ME DOWN AND TURN ME INTA A HOMASECSHAL WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP :tinfoil:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Got to admit I was a bit wary when the UK rushed to approve that vaccine, but now that some not-stupid countries have approved it I am reassured.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

crispix posted:

GUBERMINT WANT TO DUM ME DOWN AND TURN ME INTA A HOMASECSHAL WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP :tinfoil:

Homeschooling is advised for children with autism due to the negative effects of large class sizes, especially if the other children also have disorders affecting behavior.

Just children with autism though adults generally learn how to deal with it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Julio Cruz posted:

I mean even ITT there were people saying they wouldn't trust a vaccine towards the end of last year

I think that was probably because the words vaccine were coming out of the mouths of Tories.

Supported by the state of the lunches and PPE debacles, it's not fair to hold it against people thinking that the vaccines were likely just scooped up from the Thames so that some Tory Mate could make a few million quid pocket money.

In short Tories endanger civilisation due to merely existing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Being independently verified by other countries (and not developed in the UK) makes me significantly more inclined to trust them than I would anything the UK led with.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kin posted:

I think that was probably because the words vaccine were coming out of the mouths of Tories.

Supported by the state of the lunches and PPE debacles, it's not fair to hold it against people thinking that the vaccines were likely just scooped up from the Thames so that some Tory Mate could make a few million quid pocket money.

In short Tories endanger civilisation due to merely existing.

that's kind of what I mean though, people were acting as if the vaccine was going to be personally developed by Matt Hancock and Michael Gove, rather than a group of world-class research scientists in somewhere called Oxford

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This weekly food bullshit is literally loving insane. I was sitting just reading what you all posted, like 1 can if beans for a week. It's so infuriating. And yet these fucks will point fingers at China and go "well over there it's worse so stfu and reserve your half tin of beans for Thursday".

Wow.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 15, 2021

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

It's a bloody shambles. It makes as much sense as your posting, op

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

And yet these fucks will point fingers at China and go "well over there it's worse so stfu and reserve your half tin of beans for Thursday".

its purestrain FYGM, I imagine it's the same people who give us stories like 'spike in holiday bookings from older people near the front of the queue for vaccinations'

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Julio Cruz posted:

This was probably me. I was saying I wanted more data before I made a decision as this was before any had been certified and just after the AZ trial looked to have been fudged. Now the data is public and several million people have had them it's looking good and I'm happy to have one in Feb or whenever the group 4s get them.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 15, 2021

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

Guavanaut posted:

The mercury one is amusing because almost everyone over a certain age will remember having mercurochrome rubbed into minor wounds, which has an order of magnitude or two* more organomercury than vaccines and isn't widely sold anymore, yet vaccines something something massive recent increase in autism.

Also I bet they eat seafood.

* 100 is 1 x 102

As a nurse of a certain age, I can remember mercury thermometers. They were fragile and easily broken.

Chasing round liquid mercury with a paper towel and a dustpan and then dumping in a sharps bin happened a lot. A huge amount in all the hospitals up and down the UK until the late 90s.

I'm probably an old reactionary fucker but I miss the mercury thermometer and the mercury sphygnomanometer. The mercury sphyg was a beautiful instrument. If you were good you didn't need a stethoscope, you could do it by the twitch of the mercury, Most health care professionals nowadays don't even know the unit a blood pressure is measured in. I feel the need to talk about central venous pressure and drip stands and cm of H20 and an x.

I will stop and admit I am old and it doesn't matter.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Julio Cruz posted:

that's kind of what I mean though, people were acting as if the vaccine was going to be personally developed by Matt Hancock and Michael Gove, rather than a group of world-class research scientists in somewhere called Oxford

Well it's all about trust and oversight, right? I have no doubt that the underlying research is sound, but the marketing, distribution, and policy implementation isn't conducted by Oxford scientists, it's conducted by politicians - some of whom have no credibility.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Private Speech posted:

I always go by Estonia being non-slav hence closer to Finland
None of those countries are Slav.

Private Speech posted:

e: Also according to the NHS it has some further implications you can't opt out of, namely:

• 11 hours continuous rest in 24 hours
• 24 hours continuous rest in 7 days (or 48 hrs in
14 days)
etc.

farcry posted:

I work for one of the big food retailers on nights. This entire list is broken as standard.

Yeah, this. The hospitality places I'd worked for would lol at that list - it's been a while, but I recall doing a couple 13-day stretches without a day off, some 12+ hour days and multiple closing/opening shifts with <11 hours in-between at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

mr_jolly posted:

What if the 25 year old who works in media communications has underlying health isssues, lives with someone who does or lives with an elderly relative?

Does that still make them a low priority to you?

Edit: in the time it took you to post about being to busy to check your emails, couldn't you have instead checked your emails and got the vaccine in front of those less worthy than yourself?

Yes it does. They do not provide direct patient care and they will not spread the virus around to vulnerable patients. It is not about being worthy it about preventing the spread of the virus and killing people.

It is not about worth, it is about providing safe health care. My personal feeling about your worth have nothing to do with it.