Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

NewFatMike posted:

It's fully weird, I'm still sleeping at the apartment one more night until the movers come tomorrow. Odd to be between the two spaces, but I'm glad it's only for today!

Yeah, that's a really weird feeling. I had to do it for three months because we had to jump at a super good deal but breaking our lease wasn't a good use of our money/time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

NewFatMike posted:

I'm a homo ner babyyyyy! :toot:

:homebrew:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
You don't own a house, a house owns you.

But congratulations regardless.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That looks like westside Chicago!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Great guess! I'm the most easily doxxed person on earth, so I'm not all that worried about giving it away

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Great guess! I'm the most easily doxxed person on earth, so I'm not all that worried about giving it away

I'm ignoring the text on that sign and choosing to believe that image is you telling everyone that you're Svengoolie.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I could see him being a goon so I choose to believe that.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Stuff to finally get some ethernet wired up in my house:

Patch panel

Wall plates

Cat6 jacks

Low voltage single-gang boxes

Things I already own/can get from work:
Switch
Plenty of cat6 cable
Punchdown tool
Crimper
Cat6 cable connectors

(Though in theory I shouldn't need the last two unless I can't find short enough cables at work to run from the switch to the patch panel and need to custom make some 6-12" ones)

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

NewFatMike posted:

I'm a homo ner babyyyyy! :toot:

ho meow ner

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

DrBouvenstein posted:

Stuff to finally get some ethernet wired up in my house:

Patch panel

Wall plates

Cat6 jacks

Low voltage single-gang boxes

Things I already own/can get from work:
Switch
Plenty of cat6 cable
Punchdown tool
Crimper
Cat6 cable connectors

(Though in theory I shouldn't need the last two unless I can't find short enough cables at work to run from the switch to the patch panel and need to custom make some 6-12" ones)

I got a bunch of similar stuff! Thankfully it's already wired for cable so we can just pull the wires through.

Warbird posted:

I could see him being a goon so I choose to believe that.

:sweatdrop:

neongrey posted:

ho meow ner

:hmmyes:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Be sure to get rj45 EZ connectors to make life a breeze.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

LingcodKilla posted:

Be sure to get rj45 EZ connectors to make life a breeze.

Is that the same as a pass through connector/crimper? Cause that's what I got (part of the "borrowing from work" set of tools.)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is that the same as a pass through connector/crimper? Cause that's what I got (part of the "borrowing from work" set of tools.)

Yup. The crimper will work on either type of tip but you only get the benefit of pass through with EZ tips. Make sure the crimp down hits the sheath and not just the 8 wires.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR
I regret getting a patch panel without removable jacks. It’s such a pain to wire in new lines vs the patch panels I see with keystone slots for just popping in new rj45 sockets

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Ryzen 3800x, motherboard and 16gb of RAM

because the new ryzens will be unobtanium for quite some time.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Picked up a new monitor, currently on 24" 1080, prices on 27" 1440p equivalents are finally reasonable so I've upgraded. Once the demand has normalized I'll be powering it with a 3090, but for now just a 1080 TI.

Only lovely HDR400 but still better than nothing, but that also gets me 10 bit color so for $300, a hell of a deal.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

big mean giraffe has a new favorite as of 16:52 on Jan 15, 2021

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Whyyyy did I wait so long to buy a space heater for my drafty home office? These are way nicer than the red hot electric grills that passed for space heaters when I was a kid.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

McCracAttack posted:

Whyyyy did I wait so long to buy a space heater for my drafty home office? These are way nicer than the red hot electric grills that passed for space heaters when I was a kid.

Nah, these things own. Especially if they have the water reservoir for humidification, like my parents' one has.

mystes
May 31, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

I think radiant electric heaters are actually more efficient if you're in line of sight of them because you can stay warm without having to heat the whole room as much.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Well I'm in a tiny room on the opposite side of the house from the air handler for my HVAC so I'm loving that I can tell this little fan "keep the room at 72" and it does so.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I just got that same little heater/fan for my bathroom (far far from the wood pellet stove, which is in the unfinished basement for some reason). It has made winter showering much more enjoyable!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Got this one for my pops:

https://www.vornado.com/shop/heaters/vmh600-whole-room-stainless-steel-heater-with-auto-climate

Big quality of life improvement for him as he's become very cold natured as he gets up there in years.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
drat, might get one of those for the 3d printing room. Never thought about it before now but keeping that from getting cold would actually be pretty great.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Part of me loves the kerosene space heaters you see in Japan, and even kinda the way they smell, which can't actually be good to use in an enclosed space except they seem to do so and get along fine. Also for real tho, look at these beautiful things. Are they also a thing here in the states still? Like up in the cold bits where I don't go?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I grew we didn’t have central heat and used those indoors all the time. which was probably a bad thing but that’s why you do when you’re poor and cold.

I haven’t smelled kerosene in decades but I bet it would take right back there.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah we grew up with those and unsurprisingly I had a lot of bronchitis and other lung issues.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Part of me loves the kerosene space heaters you see in Japan, and even kinda the way they smell, which can't actually be good to use in an enclosed space except they seem to do so and get along fine. Also for real tho, look at these beautiful things. Are they also a thing here in the states still? Like up in the cold bits where I don't go?

Any time I've seen these in Japanese media they had a kettle steaming on top. Was that to humidify the air or are folks just like "Welp, this thing's hot. Time for tea."

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
humidity

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Not that fancy/snazzy looking, but yeah I remember as a kid we had one of these in the kitchen because it was an old house (circa 1900,) and the kitchen was added on later (maybe 1920's?) and wasn't hooked up to the rest of the house's heating.

Fake edit: These are what American kerosene heaters look like:

They look a little nicer/safer than the one I grew up with, which I don't recall having that safety cage, though TBF my dad might have just removed it cause he felt it was too big with it on, and if we got burnt, it was our own dumb fault.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've got a Japanese Sanyo Kerosene heater from the 80s. Still works great. It's kind of my emergency backup if my electrical goes out and it's also very cold. Which in Texas is basically never.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
A lightweight bamboo quilt and some pima cotton sheets

I've always been a very light sleeper and never really feel properly rested. I'd sleep 4-5 hours and get up at 3am because I just couldn't sleep any more. I was buying some new sheets and on a whim I added a new quilt to my order. I chose lightweight bamboo because it's antimicrobial and moisture-wicking and because I sleep hot. Since getting it I have slept longer and more soundly than I probably ever have. It's light, incredibly soft but very evenly weighted and just feels super comfortable. If I knew the solution to my lifetime of lovely sleep was spending $100 on a new quilt I would have done it a decade ago.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Not that fancy/snazzy looking, but yeah I remember as a kid we had one of these in the kitchen because it was an old house (circa 1900,) and the kitchen was added on later (maybe 1920's?) and wasn't hooked up to the rest of the house's heating.

Fake edit: These are what American kerosene heaters look like:

They look a little nicer/safer than the one I grew up with, which I don't recall having that safety cage, though TBF my dad might have just removed it cause he felt it was too big with it on, and if we got burnt, it was our own dumb fault.

I working inside my garage during winter with a window cracked and one of these running. Wiped my nose at one point and had some black stuff on my hand, blew my nose and immediately realized I had hosed up and inhaled a ton of soot. The first time I used it it didn't produce soot, so I don't know if it was old kerosine or a bad wick causing it but I don't recommend it!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coredump posted:

https://www.vornado.com/shop/heaters/vmh600-whole-room-stainless-steel-heater-with-auto-climate

Big quality of life improvement for him as he's become very cold natured as he gets up there in years.

Before I got to the end of your post I was wondering why plastic dolls need to be heated.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Coredump posted:

I'm sorry to hear that your father has become less loving, but I'm not sure that's something that can be fixed with a space heater.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

LOL to both of you. But yeah the nice thing is the outside of the heater doesn't get hot to the touch, has a remote, and I used a coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond to get a pretty good price.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Added to my diecast collection:

1974 Citroen CX 2000. Because I like goofy 70s Citroens.

Ford GT40 MKI. To compete my Ford GT collection (I also have the GT90 concept, 2002 & 2017 models)

Mindy's 1972 Jeep CJ-5 from Mork and Mindy for my TV/Movie collection

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
document with marshall zhukov's signature

Pick has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Jan 16, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I haven't skated for close to a decade now, but these were a great price and it seems like a good excuse to get out of the house and outside this winter.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Coredump posted:

God, I bought some random heater on Amazon for $60 and the "tip over sensor" is a spring so strong you can't even slightly pick it up without it shutting off. Forget about using any kind of carpet. I should have bought something nice like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Got some mechanix gloves because I’m gonna move soon and my other ones lost a finger on it. It’s in coyote brown, so I guess I’m gonna look like a tryhard lol