Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Wait, should I stop using the tube of Arctic silver I bought at frys in 2007?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

B-Mac posted:

I buy 8GB tubes of Arctic mx4 because it’s close to other pastes and it’s usually under $12, last quite awhile.

I recommend 16 gigs of thermal paste at this point as a minimum.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I am still using a tube of generic radio shack paste that has to be from like, 2011/2012 when there was still one near my old job. 5600x and Accelero IV both working great.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I actually gave one of those graphite pad deals a shot and have been pleasantly surprised. Good paste might still cool a little better (I never did side-by-side tests to find out), but it works quite well and sure as poo poo is easier to deal with. Obviously a bit more expensive, since you're paying the same price for one pad as a whole tube of paste, though.

Highly recommended for when you're dicking around with a new build and know you may need to install/uninstall the CPU cooler several times.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

ijyt posted:

drat autocorrect gets at every turn.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

That seems like it might be ideal for someone like me who doesn't OC and just wants to put the paste on, get everything assembled, and then forget about it?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

ijyt posted:

Doesn't MSFS need 32GB of paste?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

SourKraut posted:

That seems like it might be ideal for someone like me who doesn't OC and just wants to put the paste on, get everything assembled, and then forget about it?

Ideal for

1) low volume builders who can pay $13 per system and never want to worry about it again
2) people who constantly tinker at home who DO OC and change stuff all the time but dont want to store/apply/clean the goop.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

ijyt posted:

https://i.imgur.com/cERKFnO.mp4

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
weak, watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk

i really wanna know what thermal paste comes in gigantic tubes like that holy moley

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Truga posted:

weak, watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSCVahyh3Dk

i really wanna know what thermal paste comes in gigantic tubes like that holy moley

https://www.amazon.com/Protronix-Thermal-Performance-Heatsink-Compound/dp/B01MU2FLVJ

:q:

(this stuff is great if you are doing a whole bunch of PCs, I'm sure it's not as good as kryonaut or gelid extreme but it's 8 bucks for a 20 gram syringe, and it's fine for an "average" PC that isn't going to be hyper overclocked or whatever.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SwissArmyDruid posted:

On a desktop system, where I can get at the CPU cooler much more easily, I'll use Thermalnaut, because I repaste my desktop components on an annual or biennial basis anyways just out of habit, and can therefore take advantage of the extra one or two degrees in better thermals.

:stare:

That is such an alien notion to me. I've only ever cleaned and re-applied paste after pulling a cooler off. My Haswell system still has the same paste I applied back in 2013.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Then it'll blow your loving mind to know that people crack open and repaste GPUs :ghost:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Wait so me using my 10 year old tube on Arctic Silver that I've moved from a series of refrigerators over many states is not a good thing?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

:stare:

That is such an alien notion to me. I've only ever cleaned and re-applied paste after pulling a cooler off. My Haswell system still has the same paste I applied back in 2013.

Yeah, this paste might be from like 2011 and I'm still idling in the low 30s on my OC'd 2600K.

Though honestly, the biggest benefit of repasting is probably the accompanying dusting / cleaning that goes along with doing it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
opening up your computer and dusting it is good practice even if you don't go whole-hog and do a repaste

the power move is using a new parts upgrade as a justification to do some cleaning

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

the power move is using doing some cleaning new parts upgrade as a justification to do some cleaning for a new parts upgrade

Fixed.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

denereal visease posted:

Then it'll blow your loving mind to know that people crack open and repaste GPUs :ghost:

I repasted my 1070 a few months ago :v:

It was almost four years old and the heatsink needed a thorough cleaning. I also tend to replace the thermal paste on a CPU once it's 4-5 years old.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I cleaned out my dads PC once because the fans were clogged with dust and it crashed from overheating. Sad. Disgusting sad.

Otoh thats the only time ive seen CPU temps suffer from old age... my 2600k went a happy 7 years with the same paste.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Working in computer labs and such in college in the long-long-ago, I saw lots of boxes where the paste turns into cement after 5+ years, which starts spiking the CPU temperature. Getting those off on ZIF sockets is a pain in the rear end. Hope AM5 is LGA just for that reason honestly.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

denereal visease posted:

I mean, I can totally believe people doing that once, because they think they'll do a better job or use better paste than the factory did.

But on a regular basis? That's bizarre.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

denereal visease posted:

I had to do that on my old MSI GTX 970 awhile back because poo poo was running hot as gently caress after awhile, like 80-90c. Took it out, repasted it, and thing was running cool as balls.. wel li guess balls aren't cool but y'know. but yeah should be something you probably do once somewhere mid-point in the life of something if it's not running cool. and yeah stock GPU pasting can be terrible so it's actually nto a bad idea to do it either right away if temps seem high or some point mid-life.

but yeah doing it once a year seems insane to me. i loving hate re-pasting and always get anxiety putting the cooler on and then it not sitting right and twerking n jerking around slippin n slidin' on paste and im just like oh god get this over with and i hope its fine. basically would only do it if temps seem to be climbing high

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Old paste from 20 years ago definitely turned to a hard crust after 5-7 years, modern paste still does a little bit in my experience, but not near as bad.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
My CPU/GPU temps relative to the coolant temp have remained the same for the entire 3+ years since I installed the coolers on them with thermal grizzly kryonaut. If your temps have not changed it is not necessary to repaste.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

sincx posted:

the secret is to twist the heatsink off, not to pull up directly

true, flick of the wrist method has saved many a CPU bent pin, but sometimes it would be so solid that you couldnt twist without pulling a corner out of the socket

or my favs, the old Dells (i think they were dells?) where the cooler was attached to a fuckin steel beam in the chassis structure on a hinge that only pulled straight out, so you couldnt twist it at all.

good times good times

(a tiny paint brush or coffee straw with some iso in it to dab at the edges of the paste sometimes helped if you couldnt twist and couldnt get around a massive cooler, just a little greybeard tech tip 4 u)

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Supermicro has launched a Threadripper Pro board.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 15, 2021

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cygni posted:

(a tiny paint brush or coffee straw with some iso in it to dab at the edges of the paste sometimes helped if you couldnt twist and couldnt get around a massive cooler, just a little greybeard tech tip 4 u)

You can also sometimes work dental floss in and gently saw through the crusted edges of the paste to help loosen things up.

drat that board is dense.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The paste on my CPU hadn't dried out one iota when I pulled the cooler off last fall, after nearly two years. The rest in the tube was however bone dry. Using Kryonaut here.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

DrDork posted:

Yes, yes it is.

And if I don't misremember completely, Threadripper Pro provides 128 lanes of PCI-Ex goodness with the southbridge included, which means the 6x PCI-Ex x16, 4x M.2 x4, and and 2x U.2, all get enough PCI lanes.
Oh, and it's Zen 2, so you don't get to fight with the performance pessimizing errata.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

sincx posted:

the secret is to twist the heatsink off, not to pull up directly

careful, I once watched someone try this and they twisted all the pins clean off on the socket.

Basically this isn't a license to use full force, heat is the best way to loosen it up. Run it of you can if not hit it with the blow dryer real quick.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DrDork posted:

ThiccTMBoard

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I used to think being picky about paste was overblown, and still am not too choosy about paste, but my thinking has changed somewhat when I pulled the CPU cooler off my current built a couple months ago to upgrade it and found the pre-applied paste on the stock cooler had turned dry and crumbly. This was over the course of like 6 months. Just repasting the stock cooler and putting it back on dropped my temps at least 5 degrees on average.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
There's a difference between arguing over which brand of already-good paste is THE BEST and noting that the included or pre-applied paste is almost always absolute trash.

You're not gonna see huge differences between Grizzly or Artic Silver or whatever, but either of them are considerably better than the toothpaste in a plastic blister that gets packed in with your heatsink.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020
I ordered a Wraith Prism from Amazon to replace the dainty Wraith Stealth cooler that came with my 3600.

I've never seen factory-applied thermal compound applied like this before. Is this a thing now, or should I be suspect of the authenticity of the merchandise?

I intend to remove the stuff and replace with thermalright TF8 that I happen to have a tube of.. product claims heat transfer ability of 13.8 W/m.k.

Any thoughts, comments, or goatse would be greatly appreciated.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

I ordered a Wraith Prism from Amazon to replace the dainty Wraith Stealth cooler that came with my 3600.

I've never seen factory-applied thermal compound applied like this before. Is this a thing now, or should I be suspect of the authenticity of the merchandise?

I intend to remove the stuff and replace with thermalright TF8 that I happen to have a tube of.. product claims heat transfer ability of 13.8 W/m.k.

Any thoughts, comments, or goatse would be greatly appreciated.

That seems too uniformly stamped on to be not-authentic. But I'd question the utility of them even doing that because it seems like it'd get dry or crappy. I've never heard of applying paste to a heatsink directly -- always cpu.

That said why did you go with Wraith Prism and not something like Arctic Freezer 34 for same price? https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-DUO-Configuration/dp/B07MJGNJB3/, or an even better upgrade for about $10 more with the Scythe FUMA2 which owns https://www.amazon.com/Original-Design-Towers-Cooler-SCFM-2000/dp/B07QMK5R45

Also that said, it'll be fine. Just seems like maybe not the best option for the money but if you got it super cheap then that's fine. Paste is also fine, not worth overpaying for

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jan 16, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I went with a Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim after a bad experience with a Cooler Master, and paid a bit of a premium but it also looks great in my case.

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/1659

I used the paste that came with it because I couldn't find the tube of Arctic Silver I thought I had, but was willing to wager Be Quiet! wouldn't include absolute crap paste.

GRECOROMANGRABASS
May 14, 2020

Xaris posted:

That seems too uniformly stamped on to be not-authentic. But I'd question the utility of them even doing that because it seems like it'd get dry or crappy. I've never heard of applying paste to a heatsink directly -- always cpu.

That said why did you go with Wraith Prism and not something like Arctic Freezer 34 for same price? https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-DUO-Configuration/dp/B07MJGNJB3/, or an even better upgrade for about $10 more with the Scythe FUMA2 which owns https://www.amazon.com/Original-Design-Towers-Cooler-SCFM-2000/dp/B07QMK5R45

Also that said, it'll be fine. Just seems like maybe not the best option for the money but if you got it super cheap then that's fine. Paste is also fine, not worth overpaying for

I had the heatsink of an FX 8350 come with a solid square of paste, like .5mm thick before this, but yeah, the whole "thermal paste applied by dot matrix printer" aspect is weird to me.

I appreciate your response, and I'll go ahead and answer your question, despite how vulnerable to being roasted the response will make me.

I really like AMD, and when I look inside the tempered glass side of my case, I want to see two things:

1) An unsettling amount of over the top RGB
2) An AMD logo stamped onto a big rear end Karen of a heatsink looking back at me, approvingly

GRECOROMANGRABASS fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 16, 2021

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Its real https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/fxv6j5/amd_changed_the_thermal_paste_spreadamount_on/

But yeah replace it :)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

I appreciate your response, and I'll go ahead and answer your question, despite how vulnerable to being roasted the response will make me.

I really like AMD, and when I look inside the tempered glass side of my case, I want to see two things:

1) An unsettling amount of over the top RGB
2) An AMD logo stamped onto a big rear end Karen of a heatsink looking back at me, approvingly

hey fair enough no skin off my back. valid reasons. like i said i'm sure it'll do a decent enough job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yes, yes it is.

And if I don't misremember completely, Threadripper Pro provides 128 lanes of PCI-Ex goodness with the southbridge included, which means the 6x PCI-Ex x16, 4x M.2 x4, and and 2x U.2, all get enough PCI lanes.
Oh, and it's Zen 2, so you don't get to fight with the performance pessimizing errata.

Man, like I was posting in the other thread... mATX Threadripper / EPYC platform with all those lanes... perfect super-NAS / ESXi box platform. Come on ASRock, do it you cowards, do another X399 but for Zen3.