Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm not particularly good at shooting things in VR but I don't think I ever went below 20 pistol rounds in Alyx. Are you all just not looking around for ammo?

There are pretty obvious crates every once in a while that should have a clip or a couple of shotgun shells if you break them open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
iirc the game will also quietly spawn extra ammo when you're out, even in places you already checked.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I still say that Dirt is way more comfortable than doing like stick-based walking locomotion.

Yeah, this is true for me too. Both are motion mismatch problems but it definitely took me longer to get used to buzzing around FPS games in VR than driving a car. I think part of it is playing with a wheel- having a physical controller that replicates the feeling of something you kinda know already forces your brain to put the pieces together slightly differently.
I'm not big into pinball but I'm guessing the pinsim controllers in here are awesome for the same reason.

On a slightly related note- if you have VR/wheel/pedals and you're enjoying Dirt Rally, the #1 upgrade you can get IMO is one of those cheapo USB handbrakes on eBay. Drifting on ice around hairpins in Monte Carlo is :discourse:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Has anyone got Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Classics working? In VR mode you can look around the room and do absolutely nothing else, none of the buttons do anything at all.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 16, 2021

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh my god I’m old. I exercise and lift weights but 45 minutes of robo recall without stretching and now my left shoulder is killing me.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Lockback posted:

Yeah, the lack of melee is glaring. Valve said they had it for a long time during development but didn't feel like it was working for them. I guess it's better not having it than having it ruin the game but it does feel like it's missing.

If it makes you feel better I felt like a little past that in the game ammo becomes a lot less of a concern. It's still a resource you need to manage but it's more forgiving.

If you put a VR Half-Life red crowbar in my hand I am automatically going to swing it like crazy. I'm guessing Valve did not want people smashing their surroundings in that way. It's just too tempting. Thus the gunplay instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

a loathsome bird posted:

Yeah, this is true for me too. Both are motion mismatch problems but it definitely took me longer to get used to buzzing around FPS games in VR than driving a car. I think part of it is playing with a wheel- having a physical controller that replicates the feeling of something you kinda know already forces your brain to put the pieces together slightly differently.
I'm not big into pinball but I'm guessing the pinsim controllers in here are awesome for the same reason.

On a slightly related note- if you have VR/wheel/pedals and you're enjoying Dirt Rally, the #1 upgrade you can get IMO is one of those cheapo USB handbrakes on eBay. Drifting on ice around hairpins in Monte Carlo is :discourse:

The biggest thing lacking in VR right now is physical touch, reaching out and picking something up and having a controller buzz feels pretty convincing, but having a physical wheel that turns and fights you as a wheel would makes everything 1:1 perfect sim.

(Yeah, that and g-forces / Eustachian tubes. That's the hardest thing to fake)

I have the full sim rig, not just wheel and pedals but an e-brake like you say, and also an h-shifter. And it really turns VR into the full holodeck experience. Everything is an actual thing you touch and pull on and it responds physically exactly as the real life thing does.

The e-brake is funny because if you're doing track racing like PCars, you'll never need one. If you really want to, you can map e-brake to a button.

But with Dirt Rally drifting, it REALLY pays off. If your wheel is turned 180 degrees, can you remember which button where on the face of the wheel is the one that does the e-brake? Having a physical brake separate that stays fixed next to you that you can yank whenever is infinitely better for being able to drift those corners.

hannibal posted:

If you put a VR Half-Life red crowbar in my hand I am automatically going to swing it like crazy. I'm guessing Valve did not want people smashing their surroundings in that way. It's just too tempting. Thus the gunplay instead.

Its that plus if you have melee you start wanting melee to be deeper and deeper. For melee to feel really right you need to go full Boneworks or Walking Dead. That's a LOT of mechanics to test and balance and polish.

Shooty guns are just way simpler to get the feedback to feel right every time.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’m a real casual gamer and pretty mic-shy, but Walkabout Minigolf public quick matches have been extremely good.

I think I played at least 5 hours in my lonely hotel room last night and only got one lovely person.

Walking around with strangers comparing trick shot angles and just loving around. Mostly adults, and shorties tend to leave their mics off.

I finally gave in and linked my Oculus account with Facebook, hoping I could find some IRL friends to play with who might’ve bought a Q2 for Christmas, but that’s not a thing I can see?

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 15, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

quote:

Another major reason for leaving Gordon Freeman's signature weapon out of Half-Life: Alyx was that players holding a crowbar simply assumed they were playing as Gordon Freeman, rather than as Alyx Vance. After playtests, Valve would ask players to describe the story and events they'd experienced, and players would think they've been playing the whole time as Freeman. There was little Valve could do to change their minds.

"It didn’t matter how much we told them, like, literally at the start of the game, that they aren’t Gordon," Walker said.

Mind-boggling

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

eddiewalker posted:

I finally gave in and linked my Oculus account with Facebook, hoping I could find some IRL friends to play with who might’ve bought a Q2 for Christmas, but that’s not a thing I can see?

As I recall theres an option somewhere in the settings to allow discovery for friends list via facebook, but your friends would have to have turned that on for you to find any that way.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Rolo posted:

Oh my god I’m old. I exercise and lift weights but 45 minutes of robo recall without stretching and now my left shoulder is killing me.

I feel you there. I did a hour or so zoom call wearing a Quest and my neck/shoulder is all hosed up today.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

eddiewalker posted:

I’m a real casual gamer and pretty mic-shy, but Walkabout Minigolf public quick matches have been extremely good.

Would you recommend this for just 1v1 matches with a friend? I was just talking to a friend about this one last night, we used to play a bunch of Everybody's Golf and this kinda looks like that but in VR and that sounds awesome.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

explosivo posted:

Would you recommend this for just 1v1 matches with a friend? I was just talking to a friend about this one last night, we used to play a bunch of Everybody's Golf and this kinda looks like that but in VR and that sounds awesome.

I’m into it. Physics are pretty good. The courses are well-designed.

I was into Eleven before, but if you’re having an off game in table tennis, your opponent’s experience suffers too. Golf can be as noncompetitive as you want.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Gort posted:

Mind-boggling

I love getting my information in VR games from people telling me stuff, that's probably the only way to do it too bad they didn't have any other options

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I have the full sim rig, not just wheel and pedals but an e-brake like you say, and also an h-shifter. And it really turns VR into the full holodeck experience. Everything is an actual thing you touch and pull on and it responds physically exactly as the real life thing does.

This right here. Although, confusingly, it doesn't seem to break most people's brain too bad when you have a left hand drive sim rig (ie shifter and handbrake on the right) with an in-game right hand drive car. Almost a rubber hand illusion type thing.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone have recommendations for chill games to play on drugs? My usual roster of Pistol Whip et al are a bit too intense for a nice relaxing time. Cool visuals and fun interactions with not a lot of pressure, that sort of thing, but maybe a bit more advanced than those early slew of 2016 era things that feel like tech demos.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
*slams fist on desk* Tetris. Effect.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone have recommendations for chill games to play on drugs? My usual roster of Pistol Whip et al are a bit too intense for a nice relaxing time. Cool visuals and fun interactions with not a lot of pressure, that sort of thing, but maybe a bit more advanced than those early slew of 2016 era things that feel like tech demos.

Rez Infinite or Tetris Effect

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Stan Taylor posted:

walkabout minigolf again. get stoned and putt.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015

drat Dirty Ape posted:

How long did it take you? Ordered mine a couple weeks ago and it is still stuck on 'awaiting lenses'.

Ordered on December 19th, got yesterday. 25 days, give or take.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I didn't think it was allowable to play any video game without at least a mild buzz on.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Leal posted:

*slams fist on desk* Tetris. Effect.

Decided to finally try this after hearing about it a dozen times. I actually started doing bad in the first level because my brain had become so chill.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Tetris Effect is cool, but it very quickly becomes extremely fast and unchill. I'll throw it on tonight on the baby mode, but still looking for some cool new games to dip into.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

How long does it generally take to receive an invite for EmuVR?

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Using my friends first gen rift really makes me appreciate my Q2. Spent an hour trying to get the sensors to be recognized. Cords were too short. Had to reinstall the software. Setup has so many steps. Had tracking issues with walkabout, sensors werent low enough to see my hands putting. Had to face a certain way since the sensor couldnt reach the opposite side of the room. Being tethered to the PC in a crammed bedroom.

The Q2 is wonderfuly simple, and liberating. Turn it on. Draw the boundary, and you’re good to go. Like a gentlemen I had my gf use the q2, while I used the rift, for playing ping pong and mini golf.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

hello internet posted:

How long does it generally take to receive an invite for EmuVR?

Took me around 24 hours to get one asking midweek during the week just gone, so they seem pretty on top of it.

Which is excellent because EmuVR absolutely loving rules

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I got mine a couple hours later

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lemming posted:

I love getting my information in VR games from people telling me stuff, that's probably the only way to do it too bad they didn't have any other options

That's a pretty bad faith argument. From my reading they tried other ways; it didn't work, then as a last resort desperation move they had someone shout "YOU ARE ALYX AND NOT GORDON" and people still didn't get it, to which valve gave up.

I mean seriously of all the developers to accuse of being lazy about communicating gameplay.... valve spends tons of money reworking content over and over for that very purpose. You're being ridiculous.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Stan Taylor posted:

Do some space trucking in Elite Dangerous

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

That's a pretty bad faith argument. From my reading they tried other ways; it didn't work, then as a last resort desperation move they had someone shout "YOU ARE ALYX AND NOT GORDON" and people still didn't get it, to which valve gave up.

Literally this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkaDSiPrFGs

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Narrative issues aside Valve mentioned it was way too common for the crowbar to get stuck on geometry when moving and decided to let Boneworks take the physics crown while they focused on making it as accessible as possible.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
But holding that crowbar at the end of Alyx, then tapping the other side against the palm of your other hand felt soooo right. :sigh:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I mean seriously of all the developers to accuse of being lazy about communicating gameplay.... valve spends tons of money reworking content over and over for that very purpose. You're being ridiculous.

I didn't say they were lazy, they just refused to do the thing that makes it clear who you are, which is to give you a body, which is a cop out decision because other games that came out before Alyx did IK bodies that worked just fine. They're pretty dogmatic about what they consider "good" VR and the only thing they seemed to change their minds about is smooth locomotion late in the development process. I'm accusing them of sabotaging themselves with one decision, and then using that mistake to justify more failures.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Tom Guycot posted:

I wonder if peoples problem with dirt rally has something to do with the fact that for most people all the subtle feelings of a car are ingrained and second nature, and having them completely absent is causing a disconnect stronger than normal, unlike cockpit mech, or space games where no one has real world experience with the sensations.

Yeah, motion sickness from lack of motion is as common as it is from motion. https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/10/181023085654.htm

The best explanation I've heard for the nausea from vestibular mismatch is your brain assumes you ate poison and are hallucinating when what you see no longer matches what you expect to feel. It tries to purge your stomach before the poison spreads further.

I've got pretty sturdy VR legs and have over 700hrs in DR2 and have found a few scenarios that are still mildly unsettling for me... going steeply downhill or backing up the car. It doesn't make me ill but it feels yucky for brief moments. On a tangent a good (accurate acceleration cues with low latency) motion platform can provide the physical cues your brain expects but conversely a lovely one would make it worse.

Two games that can gently caress right off for making me feel like poo poo though are Ripcoil (what was Oculus thinking) and Ground Runner: Trials

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zaphod42 posted:

That seems like a failing of the player rather than the game at that point.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Lemming posted:

I didn't say they were lazy, they just refused to do the thing that makes it clear who you are, which is to give you a body, which is a cop out decision because other games that came out before Alyx did IK bodies that worked just fine. They're pretty dogmatic about what they consider "good" VR and the only thing they seemed to change their minds about is smooth locomotion late in the development process. I'm accusing them of sabotaging themselves with one decision, and then using that mistake to justify more failures.

A body might make it more clear but holy poo poo how do you miss that you have a woman's hands, no hazard suit, and someone calling you Alyx the WHOLE GAME? Who the hell does Valve get to test their games, people with fresh head injuries?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Lemming posted:

Out of curiosity which VR games have done IK bodies "just fine"? My only experience thus far has been Boneworks, and the IK body in that was ridiculous and never matched what my body was actually doing. It always thought I was squatting when I was just leaning over. It made even the simple act of opening drawers a hilarious and nauseating experience (my IK model would try to step towards the drawer, preventing me from opening it fully or sometimes even stepping into the drawer, causing the whole physics system to lose its mind).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brownie posted:

Out of curiosity which VR games have done IK bodies "just fine"? My only experience thus far has been Boneworks, and the IK body in that was ridiculous and never matched what my body was actually doing. It always thought I was squatting when I was just leaning over. It made even the simple act of opening drawers a hilarious and nauseating experience (my IK model would try to step towards the drawer, preventing me from opening it fully or sometimes even stepping into the drawer, causing the whole physics system to lose its mind).

VRChat has IK bodies down perfect across literally any avatar.

That said, you're also just not going to get leaning over stuff working regardless because your points of reference are your head and hands. There's literally no way to tell if you're standing or bending over something because all the game sees is your head and hands moving horizontally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HoboTech posted:

A body might make it more clear but holy poo poo how do you miss that you have a woman's hands, no hazard suit, and someone calling you Alyx the WHOLE GAME? Who the hell does Valve get to test their games, people with fresh head injuries?

Well the IK arms/body would help make it more clear that you aren't wearing a hazard suit, my guess is that they were more talking about individual, smaller sections that they were just testing out as opposed to the whole game (yeah there's no way to assume you're Gordon in the full game, but I'm sure if they just popped you in a headcrab section without much introduction you could get confused easily, ESPECIALLY with no bodily reference points!)

Brownie posted:

The problem with Boneworks isn't the IK body per se, it's how they treat it. Since every part of your body is considered a physics object, the way it interacts with stuff can be confusing and unclear, like how you pointed out when it doesn't exactly match what your body is doing. The thing is that that's not the only way to treat it, and I would totally agree with you they went too hard on that in Boneworks for its own sake at the expense of feel and gameplay. Lone Echo/Echo Arena have full IK bodies, but the way they handle it is your hands and arms go through things unless you try to grab them, and only your head and a little bit down into your chest cannot go through objects and just bounces off. It does a phenomenal job of putting you in the body of that robot. As pointed out, VRChat is pretty much all VR bodies, and I bet you it would be a lot less popular if you couldn't see your own body.