Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

Andromeda defenders have a very powerful "the prequels are GOOD actually!" aura, and I fear their raw chaotic power that drives them

The children will one day dance on your grave and then do things you disapprove of like liking the wrong game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

The children will one day dance on your grave and then do things you disapprove of like liking the wrong game.

Um are you okay dude?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
It's jokes. Sorry bud.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001
Everything I saw in Andromeda I saw some other game do vastly better. And everything Andromeda did was half assed because of the lack high level direction and trying to do open world and linear levels at the same time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

poisonpill posted:

Inquisition was the first BioWare game I didn’t finish and andromeda was the first I just never played at all. They’re basically done at this point

Inquisition was a good game, not at all comparable to Andromeda. At least the required content of Inquisition was good, it unfortunately had too many optional parts that were often outright bad. Trespasser is still an amazing DLC.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Torrannor posted:

Inquisition was a good game, not at all comparable to Andromeda. At least the required content of Inquisition was good, it unfortunately had too many optional parts that were often outright bad. Trespasser is still an amazing DLC.

Tesspasser saves Inquisition. It's not a complete game or story without it. The base game by itself is pretty disappointing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Eimi posted:

Tesspasser saves Inquisition. It's not a complete game or story without it. The base game by itself is pretty disappointing.

Hey it's worth it to send that smarmy dick Hawke to their demise.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hey it's worth it to send that smarmy dick Hawke to their demise.

:mods:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

hawke never succeeds at anything sure but hawke is, nonetheless, a walking disaster zone that's miraculously unkillable

if you thought setting off the mage-templar war was a ridiculously catastrophic consequence just for making the wrong friends just imagine the trouble hawke will get into when physically lost in the fade

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Eimi posted:

Nah, Inquisition is a good game and the ending was an ending. Sure it had a sequel hook, but so does Trespasser. I prefer the ending of Trespasser, but the point of the game was to plug the sky holes and kill Corypheus, and that’s what happened. I don’t see the issue.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Nah, Inquisition is a good game and the ending was an ending. Sure it had a sequel hook, but so does Trespasser. I prefer the ending of Trespasser, but the point of the game was to plug the sky holes and kill Corypheus, and that’s what happened. I don’t see the issue.

Corypheus in DAI has all the charisma and interest that the Archdemon in DAO did, and there's no Loghain to do the heavy lifting of being an actually interesting villain. The story just didn't hook me, and the gameplay is trash, so anything good and interesting is tied up in the fact that the real villain was in your party the whole time and what the reveal of who he is means for the broader setting.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I can't even play Inquisition because for some reason my card goes nuclear.
I seem to have no problems with most modern games, CP2077 runs pretty drat good.
But for some reason after 10m of DA:I my fan gets so loud that i'm afraid to run it.
After a few searches it seems this was a common problem when it came out with no real answer other than "did you clean the dust out?".
Andromeda, which as far as I can tell is the same engine, runs great.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Inquisition is the first RPG built on the frostbite engine and it shows. Frostbite was never built for that kind of game and Bioware aren't exactly technical wizards when it comes to optimizing their games.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I've never played andromeda. I'm the kind of girl whose like "gameplay and everything can be complete rear end, but if the story is reactive I'll at least try to struggle through it," I dunno, there's just something about seeing a game giving me choices and changing based on my choices that makes me feel really hype and immersed. Does andromeda do that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lol no

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

I've never played andromeda. I'm the kind of girl whose like "gameplay and everything can be complete rear end, but if the story is reactive I'll at least try to struggle through it," I dunno, there's just something about seeing a game giving me choices and changing based on my choices that makes me feel really hype and immersed. Does andromeda do that?

It's the first Mass Effect game where the choices felt like they literally had no impact on the story and I had 0 inclination to replay the game or re-load to see a different outcome if I didn't like what happened because long term it meant nothing to the story.

I had fun playing through because it hit all the open world RPG parts of my brain, but it really never felt like anything had impact. There's more then a few moments set up as huge dramatic events that wrap up with a single choice, get a small handful of mentions later, and generally feel like nothing changed.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
There are a handful of big choices that would probably qualify, except they're pretty obviously split in a way the decisions in the first two games were not. One option is the good one that helps you, one is the dumb one you take to be a contrarian even though you're shooting yourself in the foot. And like ME3 it doesn't matter because the effect is minimal/cosmetic.

You're trying to set up the Nu-Citadel and deal with threats to colonists except everything was colonized in the few years between the arks arriving and you getting out of cryo sleep so your efforts are kinda laughable, and you're railroaded to a big final fight with the enemy aliens by utilizing ancient aliens' technology, whether the Krogan colony went independent because you pissed them off or they have a few guys helping out because you supported them by giving up something the Nu-Citadel would have liked, it doesn't matter. It might have mattered in a sequel or two, but :laffo:

E: I still think it's worth playing, but you're probably going to be disappointed in the choice & consequence department and the overall plot is just daft.

orcane fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 14, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Boba Pearl posted:

It’s the complete opposite of that. I liked it but it didn’t feel reactive at all. There’s stuff where it was telegraphing pretty hard that it would matter in a sequel, and, welp.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Boba Pearl posted:

Assassin's Creed Odyssey is more reactive than Andromeda.

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 14, 2021

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

in the first play through you might have an illusion that it does this, but in the second (lol) play through you will realise it's all bullshit non-decisions

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

That's easily the weakest part of the game

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Moola posted:

in the first play through you might have an illusion that it does this, but in the second (lol) play through you will realise it's all bullshit non-decisions

Kinda like the other Mass Effect games, really. There are some memorable moments, but on the whole you're on rails the entire time.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Kinda like the other Mass Effect games, really. There are some memorable moments, but on the whole you're on rails the entire time.

Yeah, it's weird. Like, you can kill off Wrex in ME1, but all that really changes is that you deal with somebody else in ME2. You can kill off Thane in ME2, but all that really changes is who intervenes with the Salarian counsellor in ME3.

You have a lot more reactivity in details of how the beats play out, but the beats are still there. Which makes sense; at the end of the day, the game has a story to tell, and certain elements of the story need to happen.

Still, the original ME trilogy probably gives you as much leeway as a heavily story-driven game really can.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

What is noticeable is they gave you the dialogue wheel waay less often in ME3 and Andromeda than ME1 and 2. It used to feel that Shepard rarely spoke without the wheel, but in Me3 I remember long stretches before I actually got to input any dialogue, made how rushes they were to get the thing out really apparent. Especially when they also almost always just had 2 options. Andromeda gives you the wheel a bit more, but it's mostly just two options instead of the four that they said was going to be the new normal.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

kinda, you're always going to end ME1 by killing sovereign. ME2 always ends with the reaper baby dying etc etc

But the OG ME games have many many moments where you can replay them and something drastically different happens. It might be something small like choosing to punch a reporter in the face or not, or choosing not to shove a surrendered mercenary out of a window to his death or not; but they are still choices that have visible obvious pay offs, even if they are small

MEA has none of this, like you'll have the illusion of angrily disagreeing with someone in a conversation, or just agreeing with them, and both choices lead to the same dialogue. That's it, there's no choice to talk down Conrad Verner from killing himself like an idiot in MEA, it's all "chastise someone" or "don't".

You might be thinking, "well that's because MEA got no DLC or sequel, we never got to see any of the choices payoff or not". But even if we pretend ME1 was a single game with no DLC or sequels, there were choices in that game like talking down Wrex and chosing who gets nuked that have immediate payoffs in the game itself

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Moola posted:

kinda, you're always going to end ME1 by killing sovereign. ME2 always ends with the reaper baby dying etc etc

But the OG ME games have many many moments where you can replay them and something drastically different happens. It might be something small like choosing to punch a reporter in the face or not, or choosing not to shove a surrendered mercenary out of a window to his death or not; but they are still choices that have visible obvious pay offs, even if they are small

MEA has none of this, like you'll have the illusion of angrily disagreeing with someone in a conversation, or just agreeing with them, and both choices lead to the same dialogue. That's it, there's no choice to talk down Conrad Verner from killing himself like an idiot in MEA, it's all "chastise someone" or "don't".

You might be thinking, "well that's because MEA got no DLC or sequel, we never got to see any of the choices payoff or not". But even if we pretend ME1 was a single game with no DLC or sequels, there were choices in that game like talking down Wrex and chosing who gets nuked that have immediate payoffs in the game itself

IIRC you need to have enough pathfinder buddy points to save the human leader during the climax of the game but that's it.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I wonder if they’ll fix Conrad’s bugged ME2 flags

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Kurieg posted:

IIRC you need to have enough pathfinder buddy points to save the human leader during the climax of the game but that's it.

You have to have 3 other Pathfinders. You get one in the storyline, another in a loyalty quest and a third in a side quest. In the first two you get a Pathfinder no matter what and in the last you can fail at getting a Pathfinder.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

kilus aof posted:

You have to have 3 other Pathfinders. You get one in the storyline, another in a loyalty quest and a third in a side quest. In the first two you get a Pathfinder no matter what and in the last you can fail at getting a Pathfinder.

You need 3 pathfinders who like you to save the human captain at the end. and the Asari pathfinder can hate your guts if you don't do things the right way.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Kurieg posted:

You need 3 pathfinders who like you to save the human captain at the end. and the Asari pathfinder can hate your guts if you don't do things the right way.

Most of the guides and stuff say you just need four Pathfinders(including Ryder), but you are right if you pick one set of options and don't apologise she doesn't help.

Andromeda just isn't as mechanically explained as the other games.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

kilus aof posted:

Most of the guides and stuff say you just need four Pathfinders(including Ryder), but you are right if you pick one set of options and don't apologise she doesn't help.

Andromeda just isn't as mechanically explained as the other games.

One indictment of its quality is that even the wiki obsessives kinda skimped on Andromeda’s entries

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To be fair the original Mass Effect wiki entries probably weren't as obsessive either, because there was nothing coming after it that warranted meticulously listing what convo option led to which NPC showing up in another scene for 10 war effort points.

The human captain is just not important, by the time something happens to her (or not) the game is over after she spent 90% of the time in Andromeda doing nothing.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I consider myself almost embarrassingly versed in Mass Effect lore and pointless minutiae and I had to look up who this character is.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

orcane posted:

To be fair the original Mass Effect wiki entries probably weren't as obsessive either, because there was nothing coming after it that warranted meticulously listing what convo option led to which NPC showing up in another scene for 10 war effort points.

The human captain is just not important, by the time something happens to her (or not) the game is over after she spent 90% of the time in Andromeda doing nothing.

March 8 2012 two days after release had how to save Conrad in Mass Effect 3 on the wiki.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yes. I meant the first Mass Effect game, where no one cared what happened to character X or Y yet because they weren't dragged through two more games and various EU books/comics as callbacks and references at that point.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I just had a thought that MEA is really loving bad lol

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’m kinda thinking of giving Andromeda another shot

I remember liking a lot of the locations, like that jungle planet with the big chasm running through the map, that was cool

And I never finished the game, from looking at a guide the last things I did were fight the Archon (whoever that was, I can’t remember) then starting some stuff on two new planets (ice world which I thought was cool, and that one planet with the really seedy lawless settlement?)

I also liked most of the squadmates, and now they patched back in the M/M romance with catflaps mcgee I might do that

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I was thinking of trying it again too. It can't be as bad as I remember

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm giving it another run through as well, as I just finished Trespasser this afternoon.

I still can't believe Addison still has her "my face is tired from all the everything" and "damned poetry" lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

The face tired line gets picked on a lot and it’s fine. She’s tired of having to wear a “brace face” for the stranded and soon to be starving folks who, if they knew how bad poo poo really is, they’d riot/mutiny, like they already did.