Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You should go back to where you can walk up to the windmill uh, blades or whatever, and use a torch on it

It won't help you for the boss fight anymore but it'll be a fun surprise, and something to remember for NG+ and on

I had done that but I don’t actually know what it did.

The wide knights and also the glowing red things that randomly pop up can eat my rear end

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

drunken officeparty posted:

I had done that but I don’t actually know what it did.

The wide knights and also the glowing red things that randomly pop up can eat my rear end

It reduces the level of poison in the level, mostly removes the poison from the boss arena except for a small ring, and... I think that's it?

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
It also un-poisons the Pharros contraption by the mimic.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

By glowing red things that pop up randomly you mean the enemy phantoms?

Because yeah, Iron Keep has a lot of NPC phantoms. It's one of those things that's a bit of a meta-joke by the developers when they made Scholar of the First Sin. Iron Keep was the de facto dedicated PvP duel zone, so they gave that area in particular a bunch of phantoms. I enjoyed just popping a Seed of a Tree of Giants, which makes regular enemies aggro against phantoms, and then letting the Allone knights take them out.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Giant tree seed was how I dealt with the rear end in a top hat in Brume Tower who would run down into a tower full of enemies at half-health

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Also it has a 25% chance of respawning every time you get invaded, so you don't have to feel like it's a one-time use thing. (And it's right next to the Soldier's Rest bonfire, so it's easy to pop back and check every so often.) I definitely remember using it on the collector guy who pops up later on in Iron Keep.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don’t understand the covenants at all and I always just join them when I get to one and immediately abandon

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
DS2's covenants are super cool and I wish 3's weren't basically just "what slightly different flavor of PVP do you want?"

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

I don’t understand the covenants at all and I always just join them when I get to one and immediately abandon

The game doesn't really explain any of them, I recommend looking them up in the wiki to decide which one you want to stick with

http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/covenants

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Felt bad being backstabbed by a sunbro in 3.

Does the sun covenant's statue being in the earthen peak mean anything?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

John Murdoch posted:

DS2's covenants are super cool and I wish 3's weren't basically just "what slightly different flavor of PVP do you want?"

Rat pvp is the peak of pvp in the souls series.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Charles Bukowski posted:

Felt bad being backstabbed by a sunbro in 3.

Does the sun covenant's statue being in the earthen peak mean anything?

I think the most it means is probably "this is a thing that the oppressed people here took solace in". Like a lot of things in DS2, it's meant to be a shade of what it once was, but I don't think it's meant to imply any physical connection to the altar from DS1.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

You always just get the sunlight one so you can have a yellow summon sign and do the praise the sun emote when you get summoned.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The statue branches are making me mad now. There’s 1000 statues in this forrest and I apparently chose wrong because I locked myself out of a blacksmith until I get another?? I can look up the locations but how the gently caress am I supposed to remember which ones I’ve already got and which ones I missed

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

The statue branches are making me mad now. There’s 1000 statues in this forrest and I apparently chose wrong because I locked myself out of a blacksmith until I get another?? I can look up the locations but how the gently caress am I supposed to remember which ones I’ve already got and which ones I missed

How do you feel about keys in Zelda dungeons?

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

by going and checking i guess

to be fair, she's the boss weapon blacksmith and you don't actually find her until two zones later ("just down the road" she says...) so you may in fact have time to find another flagrant branch before then

Djeser fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 15, 2021

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
yeah you can't actually make stuff with her until you find her house in a weird unfortunate spot that is really annoying to backtrack to, so it will probably be a while anyways

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
That blacksmith probably has nothing for you at this point anyway. they deal in high end boss souls that the weak and pitiful Straid cannot.

have you bought the Branch from Melentia yet? or Magerold? those are easy ones to get (once you get to Magerold)

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jan 15, 2021

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

If I remember correctly sotfs throws so many branches at you it doesn't really matter what you choose. Also the "blacksmith" is just for boss soul weapons which are so specialized they are only really for repeat playthroughs where you have a specific build in mind from the start.

As usual for souls games the weapons you find near the beginning are the most useful for new players for the entire game.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don’t actually need to go there. I don’t even really want to. It’s just the audacity to tell me I can’t :colbert:

drunken officeparty fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 15, 2021

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

I don’t actually need to go there. I don’t even really want to. It’s just the audacity to tell me I can’t :colbert:

welcome to dark souls mother fucker

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Sealed by the Great Lord's power

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

IronicDongz posted:

Sealed by the Great Lord's power

This is my second favorite “no dice” message in any of these games

“Alas, nothing happened” has pride of place though

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Reality Protester posted:

Gaping Ring: achieved. Soul Memory, 99251. I'm sure I could do better but Forest of Fallen Giants is still popping up orange so this should be fine.

You can easily get below the 50,000 threshold if you beeline through No Man's Wharf and crutch on Lucatiel and Bradley of the Old Guard to fight off the Flexile Sentry.

Speaking of Bradley, he's still the best NPC summon in all of the games. He's just the best :allears:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Djeser posted:

by going and checking i guess

to be fair, she's the boss weapon blacksmith and you don't actually find her until two zones later ("just down the road" she says...) so you may in fact have time to find another flagrant branch before then

Flagrant branch of whore.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
That's her business and we shouldn't discuss it.

Why is she a bird lady though?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Charles Bukowski posted:

That's her business and we shouldn't discuss it.

Why is she a bird lady though?

Well, see, Dad saw a crow outside one morning,

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
She looks like the weird bird people from the Painted World. Legend has it she crawled out and got an internship with the Giant Smith, had some success, but got really hard into ball-joint dolls so now the only place she can afford to rent is that dive in Spider Town.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Weaponsmith Hornyfucks

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Am I all done just upgrading at the home blacksmith guy until it disappears from him or am I supposed to go to a different one and be able to get +30 or whatever

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
+10 is max. Majula blacksmith is fine for that.

You can infuse weapons with elements at another blacksmith. If you haven't found him: he's in the Bastille.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Simply Simon posted:

+10 is max. Majula blacksmith is fine for that.

You can infuse weapons with elements at another blacksmith. If you haven't found him: he's in the Bastille.

Will doing that remove the stat bonuses like the first game

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

It will alter them like in the first game. If you're only physical, there's no benefit to you in infusing.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

It will shift the scaling towards the specified element, reducing others. Raw infusions will increase the base damage of all elements already present while reducing scaling; for weapons with no scaling to begin with, it's a straight improvement and in general Raw is much better than in DS1. Magic stones add Int scaling but reduce other types. Mundane stones are their own niche thing you don't need to worry about that was nerfed to near uselessness a long time ago.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I've always wondered about raw and mundane. The other infusions I get, but what possible niche build would raw or mundane be useful for? Mundane especially sounds extremely useless

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I don’t understand so I am going to keep my broadsword just normal

The guide I’m using to know what area to go next doesn’t have the dlc parts in it. Last game I finished and it started the game over before I even knew I had the dlc so then it was too late unless I played all over again in ng+. Will that happen to me again

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
luckily no, in DS2 after you beat the final boss you won't start NG+ until you go back to Majula and talk to BearSeekSeekLest and actually choose the option to start over. Or maybe it's the Majula bonfire, I forget which.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

I've always wondered about raw and mundane. The other infusions I get, but what possible niche build would raw or mundane be useful for? Mundane especially sounds extremely useless

They nerfed the poo poo out of Mundane, but it was for weapons with little/no scaling. Like the mundane Santier's Spear was insane, and then there's goofy poo poo like the mundane ladle.

Raw is raw, use it on weapons with no scaling (crossbows, mostly).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mundane was good if you specifically built around it and used weapons with high base damage and little or no scaling. Mundane Santier spear builds with 20(+) in every stat were stupidly strong and became flavor of the month. To my knowledge, in current patch there is no case in which Mundane is significantly better than raw.

Raw is still the best upgrade for non scaling weapons on builds that don’t have magic stats. Saltier spear, black dragon sword, any crossbow, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Raw's nice for early game when you might be investing in defensive stats over offensive stats, or in magic (sorcery/pyro/faith/hex) stats but not yet have enough scaling or materials to make a more suitable infusion. It's also nice as a physical option for magic builds, especially on enemies that are resistant to non-physical damage, like those lion enemies.