Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

So...when do I unlock outfit options. Give me them outfits!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

About when you hit the first town in the game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am curious how much numbers matter after equipping new clothes. It is like there was no change unless Dragaux would have oneshot me.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Day two of Ring Fit and I can already tell that this game has changed my life a lot. Three days ago I was just fretting over which online workout to do procrastinate and I could feel my thighs then too!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Ciaphas posted:

It's usually closer to 30 minutes IRL for me too, I should clarify that I'm going by the ingame timer

Difficulty 15 right now - right in the middle, been there almost a month. Sedentary the vast majority of my life, barring the odd gym stint, until starting Ring Fit almost 4 months ago

Sidenote: Tree Pose is literally loving impossible, I cannot balance on one leg with any reliability, especially my right - let alone get my other foot onto my thigh, let alone hold the ring above my head, let alone bend. But RPG stats means it has to be there for green single target. That feels kinda bad

If you are using a thick exercise mat, try standing on the floor for tree pose as thick mats can mess with your balance.
I still can't tree pose quite right, but standing on the hard floor gives me much better balance.

Of course this also applies to other exercises that requires balance, if you can't keep your balance doing them on a mat, try doing them on the floor. Or a thinner mat.

Speaking of I really need to find a better exercise mat, but right now I got a big thick cheap one and I want just the same one I have but with something to keep it from slipping everywhere. I can find no such thing though /:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

For any balancing exercise, pick a focal point on the wall that’s about eye level and keep your gaze fixated on it the whole time. It helps immensely. Also with tree, don’t lock out the knee of the standing leg. Small movements and swaying are part of the pose. Fighting too hard to stay perfectly still will backfire. You can also put your foot against the other leg’s calf, if you can’t keep it up on the inner thigh.

lol when I did yoga as a teenager I could put my foot all the way up my thigh and balance in tree all day. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

For any balancing exercise, pick a focal point on the wall that’s about eye level and keep your gaze fixated on it the whole time. It helps immensely.

I keep forgetting to do this.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I just unlocked planks. :negative: I may need to invest in a yoga mat or something; getting down on the carpet is going to be a pain.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah mats definitely help. Again, less so with some balance-based yoga moves, but just having a mat at all will help with the majority of what the game will ask you to do.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

On this topic... it's been over a year and I've just realized I've been doing Boat Pose wrong because I finally heard the tip that says not to put your back all the way on the floor :negative:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

You can do that to cheat if it’s too hard, but the idea is to balance on your sitz bones and extend your body all the way without actually lying on the floor.

Would highly recommend a yoga mat for a lot of reasons and planks is definitely one of them.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

having the yoga exercises become easier and easier to do is very satisfying

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can do that to cheat if it’s too hard, but the idea is to balance on your sitz bones and extend your body all the way without actually lying on the floor.

Would highly recommend a yoga mat for a lot of reasons and planks is definitely one of them.

Yeah I had been doing them more like sit-ups, which at the pace of the yoga exercises was whatever... the tension of holding my back off the ground when extending is making them a real workout now lol

Next thing I know the other exercise that seems like easy mode (the overhead arm twist) will have some secret thing I'm not doing either

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On this topic... it's been over a year and I've just realized I've been doing Boat Pose wrong because I finally heard the tip that says not to put your back all the way on the floor :negative:

yeah i can get through like a single rep of that with good form

exercising is freakin' depressing sometimes lol

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Friend Code is SB-7378-2371-4164

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jan 16, 2021

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Is it normal to be extremely over leveled in the story mode?

Will that come back to bite me somehow?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s normal and no. Although the end boss will still be able to hit you hard even when you’re over-leveled.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Is it normal to be extremely over leveled in the story mode?

Will that come back to bite me somehow?
The first set of clothing upgrades give you about 5+ levels in stats and Dragaux still took out more than half my hearts in one hit. You get more out of your stats by sucking down smoothies, which you can stack.

Lester Shy posted:

How many active minutes do you all try to do each day? I'm only into the third world right now and I'm generally just following the game's suggestions on when to stop for the day, which usually comes out to about 12-15 minutes of active time. It would feel more natural to do a whole world at a time, but I don't know if that would be too much.
I decided on when my legs give out. Dashing really is the hardest exercise to do with this big body.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Usually I take the game's suggestion, which is generally about 2 levels and 15-20 minutes depending on levels. It really depends on the exercises you have set though, if it's something easy for you you can go longer if you want.

My skill bar is usually full of relatively difficult (for me) exercises like squats and planks so after maybe like 2-3 sets of those I'm generally ready to call it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It took three days to completely recover from planking. There was what felt like a small ball of lingering pain that would scream if I tried anything to it. It only started hurting after waking up the next day and sliding off the bed.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

It took three days to completely recover from planking. There was what felt like a small ball of lingering pain that would scream if I tried anything to it. It only started hurting after waking up the next day and sliding off the bed.

That means it's working. Or you hosed something up.

Pain is good except when it's bad.

Now do mountain climbers and planks in the same session.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dr. Honked posted:

I just hit day 50 and I'm super impressed by the results. I've been gradually turning up the difficulty, and just exercising until it says "how about we stop there for the day". I do one session 3 or 4 days a week. The results have been fantastic. I've lost weigh and put on muscle, and had fun doing it. Ring Fit is pretty much my only exercise at the moment.

Before I got Ring Fit, I had been playing Wii Fit U for a few months, and it's pretty good, but nowhere near as good as Ring Fit.

Side note about the yoga in Ring Fit - it's way harder than on the Wii U. I feel everyone's pain about the tree pose!
This is where I am, although a lot of the time I don't do a lot of actual hard time. People are surprising me with their endurance here. My longest session was 13 minutes total time, and I was usually getting the warming that you are. To the point where I would actually start adding a custom mode jogging course before doing the adventure itself, just to get more total movement time.

I did strain my arm some doing Warrior pose for the first time, haha.

Is additional endurance something that will come naturally? Since I set it to complete-exercise-set-even-if-you-won I just find I blast through a lot of levels. Maybe I'm just good at running, idk.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

I think the "stop here for today?" warning doesn't take into account actual time spent moving, just how many maps you've run through.
Which honestly kinda sucks because some maps take 2 minutes and some 10. That's why I feel it's better to just go for a time bracket and ignore the "stop here for today" thing once you can go long enough.

And this game has definitely helped me with endurance. Starting out some exercises were very hard to do at starting difficulty but I am almost at the point where I can do all of them without breaks at level 27.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
It asks if you want to stop after every 10 active minutes, once you're back on the map.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

DoubleDonut posted:

It asks if you want to stop after every 10 active minutes, once you're back on the map.

Huh I didn't realize that, always seemed to be after like 2 maps.
I really wish you could change that though because after a while 10 minutes, depending on what you did, feels like nothing.
Then again the other day I did 15 minutes that felt like pure hell.

https://twitter.com/splenktrenmnt/status/1351927886916120579

Usually I get around 10 kcal every minute.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

organburner posted:

That means it's working. Or you hosed something up.

Pain is good except when it's bad.

Now do mountain climbers and planks in the same session.
I did that yesterday. I can get used to planks at some point. Not only did I almost fail that introductory mission in the world with the masters, I also forgot to calibrate and my squats almost caused a redo. I'll remember to calibrate from now on.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I could barely get through one plank without lying face down on the floor afterwards. That was a week ago, and while they're by no means easy now, it's a lot more manageable.

I'm aiming for 25-30 minutes of active time, which is about 45-60 minutes of real world time, but I'm only on difficulty 14. I've definitely over-committed in the past to a lengthy level right when I was ready to quit for the day. I'm gonna try bumping up the difficulty once a week.

Edit: I do wish there was some way to slot a specific exercise as an "ultimate attack" or something. I'm never gonna want to do more than one set of planks per level, so it feels bad to waste a slot on them.

Also, is there any way to tell if a given level is going to contain a boss battle? The healing moves seem pretty worthless outside of boss fights, but I'm still pretty early in the game.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 21, 2021

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The boss fights are always the purple/red/black mishmash tiles.

Personally I never used healing moves and chugged smoothies instead, since you get more than enough ingredients.

That said, there are a few times where you are not allowed to use smoothies and the healing moves might be valuable there.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Mini-boss levels are also always just a door and a short flight of steps up to the boss arena.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

DoubleDonut posted:

Mini-boss levels are also always just a door and a short flight of steps up to the boss arena.

Yeah, if the run distance is like .1 miles but the calorie burn is 50, you got a boss fight

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Man, world 14 had a gauntlet of squats and by the end my legs fell off

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Finished off Armando with two planks. My arms were not good enough for his missions. My levels are turning enemy attacks into fractions of a point and two healing moves that won't be needed for a long time at this rate.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So i'm an out of shape person but i've had a life full of walking. For some reason though, when I run in place for this game, my arches hurt like crazy, more and more the more I play. I play without shoes on a carpeted floor (in a house I live in, alone). , but is it better to wear something instead?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Use a yoga/exercise mat and make sure you strike with the ball of your foot when you run.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Shoes are a hindrance for me. Try out shoes and another pair of socks if you are hurting and/or try the alternate moving method which is like mini squats. Might help to add another day between sessions. Gains, not pains.

I switched to weaker clothes to make up for the reduced challenge and I can't risk dropping my attack now that gold enemies have appeared. Feels good to see enemies are now a threat. I understand what the four exercise marathon stage expects of me. I have to spread my legs to get a deeper squat and mountain climbers need me to stretch out for a better score. World 5 is like the start of getting a real workout and I am next to the difficulty the game started me out on.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 26, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I have unlocked Plank and Mountain Climbers and I have concluded that I am bad at anything in the plank position

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Plank in the game is not really anything like what the actual exercise known as planking is fwiw

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think it was called Dolphin Pose.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s a forearm plank/dolphin flow, to be precise. Kind of a more active plank. By the way, make sure you’re putting most of your weight in your legs when you go up into dolphin pose so you don’t wear out your shoulders!!!

Also for Mountain Climbers, put your hands further forward than you would in a plank pose. You’re welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo there's a thread for this game! I just got it a couple weeks ago and I've only missed a couple days since I started. I gained 30 pounds over the last year working from home and eating like poo poo so now it's time to reverse the damage, especially since I'm getting older.

I'm only on world 5 and I'm having a really good time so far. I'm amazed at how many different exercises you can do with just a ring.

I just have 2 questions for now:

- What does increasing difficulty actually mean in terms of game mechanics? More reps per exercise? Less damage per hit? Enemies do more damage? All the above?

- During the combat music, what the gently caress is the vocalist saying? It sounds like "Ab Shock Incel" but as funny as that is I know it's not right.