Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm curious about the clue to compare because I remember there being a final years back that wasn't difficult to get (and one contestant even did) but I think they invited them all back or two of them back or something because they said it was poorly worded and I thought it was lame they did so. I want to say it was about the moon landing but I really can't remember it too specifically other than I thought it was a gimme.

It's probably this one:

https://thejeopardyfan.com/statistics/returning-to-the-show posted:

Ashley was in second place on 2015-12-29 and saw the following Final Jeopardy! clue, in FAMOUS LAST NAMES: “The first woman space shuttle pilot shares this surname with a man on the 1st manned lunar landing 26 years earlier” Ashley failed to respond correct, betting all of her money and finishing the episode in third place.

However, at the end of the episode, Alex recorded a statement saying, “Our bad, folks. Today’s Final Jeopardy should have referred to the entire Apollo 11 mission rather than to just the lunar landing part of it. We feel that Ashley might have been disadvantaged and so we have invited her to return to play again later this week.” She returned to win on 2015-12-31.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sounds right - I misremembered the third place contestant playing right by not wagering and not answering.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
yeah there have been some pretty egregious ones over the years, mine wasn't nearly that bad but it did end up being the difference between 2nd and 3rd so theoretically it was worth $1000 real bux

$200 clue in the category THE TECH WORLD

In 1991 "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" became the first work of fiction turned into this format

What is an eBook?

hold on, you say. surely ebooks existed before 1991!

well, they did! novels were shared in electronic form on usenet all through the 80s and even project gutenberg (which they used as their source) converted a lot of shakespeare in the 80s before they officially released the ebook of Alice's Adventures or whatever

I got it wrong because I knew ebooks in some form pre-dated 1991 but when i emailed them they told me (politely) to go eat poo poo and tbh i don't expect them to indulge every whiny contestant who didn't win

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
hm. I hadn't considered that I might be able to go on and lose in an embarrassing fashion again. same canadian boat though.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Well, I’m LA-adjacent so I’ll happily blaze the double loser trail if it’s a possibility

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
The Dr. No bit in the first round made me laugh, particularly Brett’s reaction. Seemed very Alex-like to me.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I'm guessing reading a clue where the right answer is "no" is one of those things that comes with hosting experience.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

HookShot posted:

I'm not going to bother right now since there's no way they're doing auditions in Canada anytime soon anyway, but that's good to know.
They're apparently going to book auditions for Canadians at some point if you're already in the pool. At least that's what they told me in the summer - I don't know if that still applies if the border shutdown stretches all the way to the end of 2021, though.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Albino Squirrel posted:

They're apparently going to book auditions for Canadians at some point if you're already in the pool. At least that's what they told me in the summer - I don't know if that still applies if the border shutdown stretches all the way to the end of 2021, though.

Oh nice. Then yeah, I should get on that test again. By the end of the year I should be vaccinated anyway since we're not entirely loving it up in BC just yet.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Whenever Johnny says "An Attorney" it always sounds like the contestant is named Anna Tourney. Today we have Anna Sociateprofessor.

I'm really enjoying Ken.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Poque posted:

Whenever Johnny says "An Attorney" it always sounds like the contestant is named Anna Tourney. Today we have Anna Sociateprofessor.

I'm really enjoying Ken.

Ken is settling down, and I'm willing to give him time considering today's episode was still part of his very first day of actually taping shows, but he still kind of has the high-pitched, almost-nasal "well actually" timbre of the A/V nerd in high school, and that's something that won't go away. He doesn't have the casual authoritative gravitas that Trebek brought with him. That's not a crime in any way, no one will ever be Trebek, but I just don't feel like Ken is the right choice for a long-term, permanent host.

Edit: If anything, his obsequiousness regarding Alex's legacy is already starting to get a bit grating.

Timby fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jan 16, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Timby posted:

Ken is settling down, and I'm willing to give him time considering today's episode was still part of his very first day of actually taping shows, but he still kind of has the high-pitched, almost-nasal "well actually" timbre of the A/V nerd in high school, and that's something that won't go away. He doesn't have the casual authoritative gravitas that Trebek brought with him. That's not a crime in any way, no one will ever be Trebek, but I just don't feel like Ken is the right choice for a long-term, permanent host.

Edit: If anything, his obsequiousness regarding Alex's legacy is already starting to get a bit grating.

I'm of the same mind - someone like Burton gives more of that authoritativeness he's lacking.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Timby posted:

Yeah, I think that's probably going to be something you'll see from any of the potential hosts for at least the next few months. Trebek did this for 30 years, he might as well have been Jeopardy itself, it's going to be longer than a week before people start to move on from that

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

christmas boots posted:

Yeah, I think that's probably going to be something you'll see from any of the potential hosts for at least the next few months. Trebek did this for 30 years, he might as well have been Jeopardy itself, it's going to be longer than a week before people start to move on from that

I was going to say: in fairness to Ken, Alex is a tough act for anyone to follow. I don't disagree that Ken lacks the 'authoritative voice', though. He comes off as well meaning and sincere but dorky.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Ken, we were all thinking the hair thing, but you’re not supposed to actually say it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

christmas boots posted:

He was Jeopardy! itself. I'm one of the people that won't be doing the online test anymore because for me it's meaningless now.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
How long do you think they're going to keep airing that Trebek obit at the end?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

He was Jeopardy! itself. I'm one of the people that won't be doing the online test anymore because for me it's meaningless now.

Give it time would be my input. I don’t blame anyone for waiting for a permanent host, but like, it would still be a drat blast to be on jeopardy.

Given the turn around time, any auditions now are likely for either end of season or next season anyway. It’s different for everyone, for my wife the span from online test to taping was almost exactly 10 months.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, my audition was in February, got the call in July and taped in August.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Can confirm: auditioned in May, got the call in February, taped in March.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
10 months for me too. 3rd audition.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I actually am kind of settled with Ken and can just ride him out forever.

My only thing is that I miss Alex being a dick during the interviews. I dunno if Ken can ever settle into being able to make fun of people. If I was ever on Jeopardy, my experience wouldn't be complete without Alex basically rolling his eyes at my lovely anecdote.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I think I was at like 8 months when the show stopped taping last year maybe? I have no idea what all of this did to the clock ticking down on retaking the exam so I have no idea when to give up hope and when I'm eligible to try again.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Timeless Appeal posted:

My only thing is that I miss Alex being a dick during the interviews. I dunno if Ken can ever settle into being able to make fun of people. If I was ever on Jeopardy, my experience wouldn't be complete without Alex basically rolling his eyes at my lovely anecdote.

Losers, in other words

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

That's the neat thing about Jeopardy now. Everyone gets to experience being a loser (eventually).

Also, the 8 inches on my honeymoon lady is my favorite interview.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel the same, and I'm definitely missing the "good for you" from Alex

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I think Ken will get there as he gets more used to it.

I'm going to miss Alex trying to do [insert accent here] and it coming out as a Dracula impersonation, though.

"And our next category... EEeeeeeeeeenglish Rrrrrrrrroyalteeeeeeeeeeey"

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Goober Peas posted:

That's the neat thing about Jeopardy now. Everyone gets to experience being a loser (eventually).

Also, the 8 inches on my honeymoon lady is my favorite interview.

she would have been if she hadn't been too nervous and had been able to say it with a straight face!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Laughing my butt off at the winner's FJ response tonight.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahahahaha that was a great troll.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

That was awesome.

Too bad he was a bad contestant who wanted to be James, but was generally clueless on the high-dollar questions.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Betting $10k on an ancient landmarks question when you don't know the seven ancient landmarks basically everybody on Jeopardy should know is also a bold strategy.

Like fair enough if it's not a category that's in your wheelhouse, but don't bet that much if that's the case

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

they forgot the part of Holzhauer's success where he actually knew all the answers

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

HookShot posted:

Betting $10k on an ancient landmarks question when you don't know the seven ancient landmarks basically everybody on Jeopardy should know is also a bold strategy.

Like fair enough if it's not a category that's in your wheelhouse, but don't bet that much if that's the case
My wife worried I was gonna wake up our younger kid because I kept screaming "MAUSOLEUM!"

It helps that it's a crazy OP wonder in Civ 6 :v:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

HookShot posted:

It was an absolutely useless amount of money to choose regardless of the outcome, which was just *chef's kiss*

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

HookShot posted:

It was one of the easier Wonders too. I expect anyone on the show to know them all but even if you didn't you absolutely should know that one.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Vulture Culture posted:

It was an absolutely useless amount of money to choose regardless of the outcome, which was just *chef's kiss*

Him getting it wrong did basically guarantee to make it a runaway for the other guy!

Nothing like a bet that's all downside.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Groovelord Neato posted:

It was one of the easier Wonders too. I expect anyone on the show to know them all but even if you didn't you absolutely should know that one.
I mean, they gave you the other half of the name in the clue! You didn't even have to remember Halicarnassus!

I don't mind the $10K bet, people need to bet more on J! in most cases.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Albino Squirrel posted:

I don't mind the $10K bet, people need to bet more on J! in most cases.

It’s enough to lose but not enough to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Just realized I won't ever hear Alex say "two-day total point affair" again. :smith: