Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

PMush Perfect posted:

I may or may not already be figuring out if it's feasible to do one team for every round. (Potential spoilers for future team compositions.)
Spoiler: It's not. Unless I really, really wanna spend weeks trying to beat PokeCup round 1 with a team of Golduck, Tangela, Pidgeot, Haunter, Weezing, and Rapidash. And, to put this in perspective, I'm extremely frustrated with that team because it means I don't have Haunter and Rapidash for later rounds.

Sorry to anyone who was hoping to see double-digit Losses per round, but that's just not something I'm capable of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Triple post to say that the poll is closed!

The people have spoken, and I will mostly be listening! You'll get to see what I mean soon enough.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
It's not that I want to see you suffer. It's I want to see every pokemon get their time in the spotlight.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Godna posted:

It's not that I want to see you suffer. It's I want to see every pokemon get their time in the spotlight.
There will be seven teams, total, so that's 42 different Pokemon lines getting some time in the sun. Which is barely half, but it's also a lot less burnout.

I'd like to say that's why this next update is taking so long, but honestly I've been procrastinating on finishing up the planning because I got hooked on Dead by Daylight and Spelunky 2 just dropped.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I forget the cutoff for threads falling into archives so I'm giving this a poke while I get back around to having my brain in a mood to let me create things.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I have a thread last active in December that's still open, so you're probably good.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Look forward to seeing more whenever you feel ready!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It took me months of on-and-off work (including a bout of burnout with trying to sort through all of the information and possibilities), but I've finally made my decisions about which teams will be going through which groups. My decisions were based on showcasing as many popular Pokemon as possible, keeping my strategies fair and at least somewhat entertaining, and making sure I have teams that have at least a solid chance in the later stages of their respective challenges. (Some of the later opponents in Poke Cup and Prime Cup are brutal.)

I'd originally planned to keep this as a surprise, and this isn't a real update, but I'm finally, finally over this loving hurdle, and so I'm just going to announce my choices now. I want to brag, don't judge me. Now, loving finally, I present your champions! (Or at least my plans for them, most of these Pokemon aren't actually ready yet.)

Gym Leader Castle
BRDBRDBRD the Dodrio
BIGGER BEN the Rhydon
RAVESTAR the Starmie
TONIC the Jolteon
THE BOY the Snorlax
MUDPANTS the Hypno

Poke Cup
BORT the Venusaur
SARSAPARIL the Lapras
RUM the Ninetales
A KNIFE the Kabutops
TWITCHY the Venomoth
MR PIBB the Hitmonlee

Petit Cup
DUX the Farfetch'd
DOG TWO the Rattata
MASH the Machop
YAMS the Magnemite
BUMP the Diglett
ALFREDO the Paras

Pika Cup
MARCEL the Mr. Mime
LOSENGE the Butterfree
PEPTO the Clefable
WET ZUBAT the Tentacool
JABLES the Fearow
KAGE the Nidoking

Prime Cup
DOCTOR GUN the Tauros
PHILLY the Chansey
CHANDLER the Moltres
SAINT PAUL the Articuno
ORLANDO the Zapdos
MFKR UNLTD the Mewtwo :unsmigghh:

???? (Don't spoil it. Please.)
Ponyta
Porygon
Exeggcute
Voltorb
Pidgeotto
Ditto

Now I can get back to not having any reason to procrastinate on working on this again. The enemy is defeated.

Edit: Now with nicknames!

Edit 2: Realized I made a stupid mistake while copy-pasting in my planning spreadsheet and had the wrong name down for a Pokemon. Apologies to any Sandshrew fans!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 1, 2020

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It's always good to see this LP isn't dead. Can't wait to see these teams in action!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
I claim credit for this :p.

But yeah, I showed Mistywave the thread today, and she's reading it.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Ponyta
Porygon
Exeggcute
Voltorb
Pidgeotto
Ditto

Now I can get back to not having any reason to procrastinate on working on this again. The enemy is defeated.

Edit: Now with nicknames!

:eyepop:

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh that last one is going to be a sight to behold. :getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don't mind me, just delaying working on updates while I reread through each and every one of the old ones and try to fix my disastrous phrasing and all the proofreading I put off on the altar of sacrificing "good" for "done."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Why are you doxxing me? :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PMush Perfect posted:

Ponyta
Porygon
Exeggcute
Voltorb
Pidgeotto
Ditto

waitwaitwait do you mean the... oh god you do you're mad

this is going to be amazing :black101:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Don't mind me, just delaying working on updates while I reread through each and every one of the old ones and try to fix my disastrous phrasing and all the proofreading I put off on the altar of sacrificing "good" for "done."

Sometimes sacrificing good for done results in the done being good, to be fair

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

:hf: Quality is eternal, delays are temporary, and other games are distracting.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I just want more crisp screenshots of the :d: quality :d: stadium nicknames to shitpost about, AKA the best part of stadium outside of the announcer

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm reintroducing myself to some things about the game I don't really go over in the LP, and... God. It's kind of admirable how the rental pokemon try to have a balance between weak Pokemon with strong moves, and vice-versa...

Except sometimes you just get excellent Pokemon that also have great moves. Here's Charizard trying to make something out of Fire Spin, Dig, and Fly, and then Moltres drops the loving hammer with Fire Blast.

Edit: Admittedly, these Pokemon usually end up struggling with coverage, but that's much less of an issue when you know what's coming and what to bring. Kinda hard to care about Jynx wasting a moveslot on Thrash when she's also got Lovely Kiss, Ice Beam, and Psychic.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 15, 2021

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Don't let perfect be the enemy of pmush perfect imo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm reintroducing myself to some things about the game I don't really go over in the LP, and... God. It's kind of admirable how the rental pokemon try to have a balance between weak Pokemon with strong moves, and vice-versa...

Except sometimes you just get excellent Pokemon that also have great moves. Here's Charizard trying to make something out of Fire Spin, Dig, and Fly, and then Moltres drops the loving hammer with Fire Blast.

Edit: Admittedly, these Pokemon usually end up struggling with coverage, but that's much less of an issue when you know what's coming and what to bring. Kinda hard to care about Jynx wasting a moveslot on Thrash when she's also got Lovely Kiss, Ice Beam, and Psychic.

There's a meta to rental pokemon if you don't have any option of transferring proper moveset pokemon from the games, believe it or not. Various between the cups.

But boy oh boy are you gonna get extremely intimate with Thunder's 70% accuracy :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

EorayMel posted:

There's a meta to rental pokemon if you don't have any option of transferring proper moveset pokemon from the games, believe it or not. Various between the cups.

But boy oh boy are you gonna get extremely intimate with Thunder's 70% accuracy :v:
Oh, yeah, I've watched some of the one person insane enough to speedrun Pokemon Stadium without imports. That run is, uh...

:psyduck:

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
A few more notable "why is this a rental moveset it's actually good" moments:

-Articuno gets Ice Beam, and Zapdos manages an almost competitive set with Thunder, Sky Attack (normally would be Drill Peck), and Substitute
-Lapras somehow gets dual STAB with Bubblebeam and Ice Beam, alongside Confuse Ray and Sing
-Haunter and its everything (Psychic, Thunderbolt, Selfdestruct, Confuse Ray)
-All the Eeveelutions are basically given everything they want with the exception of one move (Flareon was done worse than the others)
-Dugtrio and Sandslash running Dig, which oops is still 100BP and they both have Rock Slide too
-Dodrio is crazy good too, fast enough to set up Reflect/Substitute, and hits hard with Fly and Tri Attack

It's clear what GameFreak was going for with Rentals, but man did they miss they consistently miss the mark. But I suppose I prefer this over the massacre that are Stadium 2 Rentals, because what they did to Pokemon like Jolteon is embarrassing.

As a side note, I believe every Gym Leader/Elite 4 member has a signature Pokemon that they're always guaranteed to bring. Not lead, but bring. If you want to test my theory out yourself, face Brock in Gym Leader Castle, and tell me if he doesn't bring Onix at any point. When it comes to this, I believe these are the signature Pokemon for the Gym Leaders (not certain about all of the Elite 4):

Brock: Onix
Misty: Starmie
Surge: Raichu
Erika: I want to say Vileplume? This is the only Gym Leader I'm fairly uncertain about.
Koga: Venomoth
Sabrina: Alakazam
Blaine: Charizard (for some reason?)
Giovanni: Persian

This is nice because if you don't see said Pokemon be the first Pokemon they lead with, you know it'll be coming later, so you can plan around that.

Or maybe I'm just incredibly lucky to see the same Pokemon show up over fifty times in a row who knows, I think that's less likely however.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FlamingRok posted:

Or maybe I'm just incredibly lucky to see the same Pokemon show up over fifty times in a row who knows, I think that's less likely however.
Eh, the odds of that are only, what, 2^50%? Can't be that unlikely.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

FlamingRok posted:

It's clear what GameFreak was going for with Rentals, but man did they miss they consistently miss the mark. But I suppose I prefer this over the massacre that are Stadium 2 Rentals, because what they did to Pokemon like Jolteon is embarrassing.

Tyranitar gets Bite and Mud-Slap for its attacks :cawg:

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

And the most embarrassing part about this? This is one of the better rentals you could choose thanks to accuracy lowering and Tyranitar getting STAB off of Bite with a decent Special Attack. If you ever want a good cry, look at Feraligatr or Ampharos.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Please tell me that ampharos is used by a gambler somewhere in the game. Zap cannon dynamic punch as its attacking moveset. That's an impressive amount of unreliable haymaker.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

FlamingRok posted:

As a side note, I believe every Gym Leader/Elite 4 member has a signature Pokemon that they're always guaranteed to bring. Not lead, but bring. If you want to test my theory out yourself, face Brock in Gym Leader Castle, and tell me if he doesn't bring Onix at any point. When it comes to this, I believe these are the signature Pokemon for the Gym Leaders (not certain about all of the Elite 4):

Brock: Onix
Misty: Starmie
Surge: Raichu
Erika: I want to say Vileplume? This is the only Gym Leader I'm fairly uncertain about.
Koga: Venomoth
Sabrina: Alakazam
Blaine: Charizard (for some reason?)
Giovanni: Persian

This is nice because if you don't see said Pokemon be the first Pokemon they lead with, you know it'll be coming later, so you can plan around that.

except the last two those make sense. Those were the Pokemon you had to look out for in RBY when facing those leaders.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The last one even makes sense, since it was Giovanni's main Pokemon in the anime. I don't know where Charizard fits into the fray however.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Persian was also a really dangerous pokemon in gen 1 mechanics thanks to the speed-crit interaction, but I'm not sure if the designers necessarily knew that, if they gave this one moves to properly take advantage, or for that matter if Stadium's mechanics favour it in the same way as RBY did.

It's really just Charizard that needs explaining.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Explopyro posted:

Persian was also a really dangerous pokemon in gen 1 mechanics thanks to the speed-crit interaction, but I'm not sure if the designers necessarily knew that, if they gave this one moves to properly take advantage, or for that matter if Stadium's mechanics favour it in the same way as RBY did.

It's really just Charizard that needs explaining.

Crit is still tied to speed in Stadium, so Slash will be 100% crit. The only real mechanics change in Stadium that would hurt that pokemon is that Hyper Beam requires a recharge turn even if it KOs. Charizard is definitely weird. You would expect Arcanine, as that was his ace in RBY.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Crit is still tied to speed in Stadium, so Slash will be 100% crit. The only real mechanics change in Stadium that would hurt that pokemon is that Hyper Beam requires a recharge turn even if it KOs. Charizard is definitely weird. You would expect Arcanine, as that was his ace in RBY.
Indeed!

At least it isn't Magmar. Poor Magmar is about as threatening as a Flareon with a chest cold.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Might stall for time with one or two Pokemon Center or Mechanics Corner updates in the next couple weeks. They're much easier to put together than full game updates.

I don't know if that says more about the LP or about me.

Mumbling
Feb 7, 2015

Honestly, I love reading mechanics-related stuff in LPs.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

it might be more indicative onto how stadium itself is would be my prediction

stadium at Blaine decides solidly to not gently caress around anymore, and Giovanni sure carries that torch

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, that’s an interesting idea. Explaining the mechanical differences and fixed bugs between RBY and Stadium.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh, that’s an interesting idea. Explaining the mechanical differences and fixed bugs between RBY and Stadium.
Also which ones are singlehandedly due to the late great Iwata

(although I guess all of Stadium technically is, really)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Also which ones are singlehandedly due to the late great Iwata

(although I guess all of Stadium technically is, really)

I think just about every change is because of him? Like he had to reverse engineer or otherwise rewrite all the battle code if I'm remembering the story right.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

Correct, he fixed/altered some very glaring decisions from Gen 1...but also introduced some in exchange. It can't be blamed all too heavily though seeing as it was in the process of a week as far as I've read?

Somewhat of a miracle Stadium 1 exists, or a curse depending on how you want to view it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This will also include me going more in depth into the existence of Pokémon Stadium JPN, the actual first game that only includes the most popular competitive Pokémon at the time. (Venusaur but no Bulba or Ivy, etc.)