Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I preferred the way Robotics;Notes did its character routes to the way DaSH seems like it will be doing them, if the first character route is representative. I get the impression that each of these routes is going to make a heroine have an explicit romance with Kaito, in which he still rejects them because everyone in the setting knows full well that he and Akiho are an obvious item. While that's preferable to his character suddenly changing and falling in love with said heroines, it's still just a huge bummer.

I hope that there isn't a Junna romance route. I've never really gotten romantic vibes between her and Kaito, and to the original game's credit it never really implied any romantic interest in either direction. Even though I seriously doubt this will happen, the game needs to set up Junna and Subaru.

edit: I'm enjoying seeing (extremely mild spoilers that arguably aren't spoilers at all since this is presented in the game's advertising)the original Steins;Gate people in Daru's Twitter. The Luka replies to Okabe's account are funny.

Scrree posted:

The fact they never even got to perform as the Witch Beatrice, that the epitaph got solved before midnight on the first day, and that it all ended in blood and tears without any direct involvement from them - but they still couldn't forgive themselves and they died without anyone knowing their heart just eats me up inside.

Sleep peacefully, my beloved witch, Beatrice

My interpretation is that what happened there wasn't just about them not being able to forgive themselves, but also a deep fear at what might transpire if she chose to live. This way she can essentially die without ever having to reveal the nature of the "furniture" stuff to Battler, effectively preserving her image in the eyes of Battler. I can't imagine how devastating it would be to face rejection/hostility from your only remaining loved one (even though as the reader we can infer that Battler likely wouldn't do that), so it's not surprising that the combination of the guilt with that fear would make her choose to just end things there. This is also why the bomb device was so appealing to her - it allows all future possibilities to essentially be preserved, without future events having the potential to ruin them.

IMO what we see throughout the VN is essentially Beatrice being conflicted between wanting someone to know everything and understand her and also being extremely afraid of this same thing. Her solution is generally to find some way to leave things "in the hands of god" so to speak. For example, when she goes on the vacation with George, she's basically just rolling the dice as to whether they'll stay in the same room and end up revealing the state of her body. If it happens she'll allow it, but she's not willing to direct cause it to happen. And with her initial Rokkenjima plans, her idea was to just roll the dice as to whether Battler figures things out before the bomb goes off.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Alright, here's my big Umineko Question Arcs effortpost. Spoilers, obviously. Please excuse any rambling, repeats, or inconsistencies here, I wrote this over the course of like three days, adding bits every once in a while.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158067

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Alright, here's my big Umineko Question Arcs effortpost. Spoilers, obviously. Please excuse any rambling, repeats, or inconsistencies here, I wrote this over the course of like three days, adding bits every once in a while.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158067
In summary:

Good stuff! It honestly takes me back to a lot of the dialogue happening in some of the older threads when the chapters were getting released one at a time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is there going to be a second season of Higurashi NEW or something? What's available on Hulu in the US just ends after Cat Deceiving Chapter 1.

Also, wild of the episode just prior to that ending with Rena having a breakdown about someone killing everyone at the festival and wailing "why did I have to watch" and then the next episode opening with that and forcing the viewer to.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Rockman Reserve posted:

Is there going to be a second season of Higurashi NEW or something? What's available on Hulu in the US just ends after Cat Deceiving Chapter 1.

Also, wild of the episode just prior to that ending with Rena having a breakdown about someone killing everyone at the festival and wailing "why did I have to watch" and then the next episode opening with that and forcing the viewer to.

series is ongoing, new episodes air on Thursdays

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'd be pretty surprised if there's a second season, but this isn't the last arc. Unless they're doubling down on trying to trick everyone. They said we'd get 24 episodes, and this is only 15.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 14, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Episode 15 was.....wow. Huh.

e: seriously that episode kinda hosed me up!

double-e: but at least I think it dropped a LOT of hints about what's going on, with (massive Higurashi and Higurashi NEW spoilers) all of the 'new' murderers outright knowing about the parasites

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 15, 2021

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Almost a year of a break since I touched Dangan Ronpa V3 and I'm still not super impressed. I'm at the trial intermission after the "outside world reveal" (which I'm still a little sceptical about to be honest). As I said last year, Kaede's death is still a huge bummer and unlike what Endorph said back in March I don't feel they went anywhere really great with it, at least not yet. Yes, sure, motivation etc. The past few trials have seemed extremely predictable too. Apart from figuring exactly who killed Miu the virtual world trial was really clear what was going on to me very early on. The "THERE'S A WALL, IT LOOPS" hints were getting really obnoxious to be honest. Also lattice + roof + closeness to the chapel was really obvious. How dumb Gonta is was really grating too.

I don't really like any of the characters either apart from kinda liking Maki's design. My hazy memories of DR1 having Kyoko as somewhat competent character in the game as opposed to what I feel the cast of characters in DRV3 has been is a bummer too. Also in general the series is really on thin ice with regards to whatever serves as world building by now. DR1 being my first exposure to whatever you'd call the "cute but evil" aesthetic was a breath of fresh air too. DR2 worked as a kind of a nice reminder of DR1 but DRV3 has been on thin ice as the novelty of its setting is gone.

I don't hate the game but even with lowered expectations I don't feel the game has really delivered. What I have definitely enjoyed is the music/rhythm in the split opinion parts of the trial though.

Honestly I'd just rather take few hours of Junko fanservice at the end of the game and call it for the end of the series no matter how dumb it is by now. It's obviously just due to design similarities but Maki's hair sure is doing a kinda familiar thing when she's mad.

I guess I'll post again once I've finished the game. I honestly don't mind the game not being super great so far, it's serviceable and it's a good end point for the series for me for that exact reason.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's very hard to give feedback on DRV3. I'm a little more spellbound by the DR formula in general so was a bit more engaged when I was where you were. But your reaction is totally fair - I'd still encourage you to finish because the story still has some juice left in it.

And, more selfishly, I do hope to hear your full thoughts when you're done.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 15, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

For me personally, the main game for 1 and 2 was pretty fun and the endings were underwhelming, whereas for v3 that really flipped for me. If you're having some fun, it's worth sticking with in my opinion.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dessel posted:

Almost a year of a break since I touched Dangan Ronpa V3 and I'm still not super impressed. (snip)
I'm at almost the same point, just finished that chapter. I've been broadly enjoying the game so far? I'd generally agree with your criticisms, but I've liked a decent number of the characters which naturally makes up for a lot.

I'll probably finish tomorrow; if I find I have much to say about it I'll dump my thoughts in the DR thread, assuming it hasn't fallen into archives yet. If nothing else I'll probably still have some complaints about the lying mechanic to get through.

Rockman Reserve posted:

For me personally, the main game for 1 and 2 was pretty fun and the endings were underwhelming, whereas for v3 that really flipped for me. If you're having some fun, it's worth sticking with in my opinion.
At my current point I feel the hints the game has given out about the ending do not fill me with confidence, but I'll see very soon!

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

The ending of v3 kind of put me off the whole series. I thought it was incredibly dumb and weak

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
At first I thought the ending was cliche, then started to appreciate that it was absolute perfection. I don't want to make a spoiler wall while two people are halfway through but I'm looking forward to discussing it more.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

numerrik posted:

The ending of v3 kind of put me off the whole series. I thought it was incredibly dumb and weak

I can understand why people like it and I really wanted to like it too, but I feel the same way. For me, the meta narrative stuff really drained the emotional undercurrent out of the game in a way that I think even DR2 managed to avoid.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
V3 was my favorite by a mile, very much looking forward to the upcoming ending reactions.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

V3 loving rules

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought V3 was super back-loaded with an extremely slow start ( other than, yknow ) but everything from the chapter 4 trial on I loved.

Best fifth trial in the series too, which was an achievement given how good DR2's fifth trial was ( Ouma being "present" made no sense and was even lampshaded as making no sense but it was entirely justified just cuz, cmon, you want another trial with him in it)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 15, 2021

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

V3 was my favorite by a mile, very much looking forward to the upcoming ending reactions.

:emptyquote:

And yeah, the ending is polarizing, where people either love it or hate it. I guess I'm an outlier in that I like it but don't love it. But in general, I am part of the group that likes literally everything thing in V3 better than the 1/2 (I like the characters, music, and the trails, at least when compared to the same numbered trial in 1/2).

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
More Umineko. Still in the middle of arc 5, but I figured I had enough notes already.

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=158105

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Umineko 5

don't call me out like this gameeeeee

Man that was kinda depressing actually. Natsuhi did not deserve this. And with the 'human side' having won (yeah gently caress that, Bern winning should not count as that!), how do we even go on from here...?

(I'll note that my theory about the dead bodies on the beach suddenly is plausible again though. Curious.)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Umineko 5

don't call me out like this gameeeeee

Man that was kinda depressing actually. Natsuhi did not deserve this. And with the 'human side' having won (yeah gently caress that, Bern winning should not count as that!), how do we even go on from here...?

(I'll note that my theory about the dead bodies on the beach suddenly is plausible again though. Curious.)

I'm enjoying these comments and I'm not commenting on them just because I can't think of a way to that wouldn't be sort of indirectly spoiler-ish.

I do want to compliment again your choice to use the original sprites, though! It helps to offset the deep pain I feel in my soul every time I see people playing the game with the default pachinko sprites.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If it didn't have such stiff competition from EP3 and EP7, EP5 would have probably been my favorite chapter. Erika was an inspired character to introduce, some of the best new music, and in general one of the most heartfelt/wrenching stories. There's some stuff in the weeds with its mystery that I think is a little unfair but that's a conversation only worth unpacking until one is much closer to the end of the whole thing.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

At my current point I feel the hints the game has given out about the ending do not fill me with confidence, but I'll see very soon!

Finished now. The ending was dumb in pretty much exactly the ways I was expecting, but on balance I'd say I liked it?

Since it's still alive I'll dump detailed thoughts in the dedicated Dangan Ronpa thread rather than fill this one with massive black blocks.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Dumped my thoughts in the DR thread too. here is the thread beginning with NRVNQSR's thoughts. I feel the game had an ending worth for what the series is at the moment, in good and bad.

I know it's not a VN but I wonder if Paradise Killer would be worth playing at some point too? The setting/aesthetic definitely has some similarities. I remember AI Somnium Files getting quite a bit of conversation too and it's from the same team.
edit: I guess not necessarily, just the same studio/publisher. For VNs I think finishing Higurashi is going to take priority between Yakuza 7 sessions, especially with the new anime out/ongoing.

Dessel fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jan 17, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Higurashi and Umineko both crash an inordinate amount for me, I should not have to obsessively save this much in a kinetic novel.

Hig 8 is particularly egregious so far possibly due to the weird nature of the game/engine changes?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
PK is probably one of the more successful of the western VN attempts I've seen but it plays much more like an exploration/walksim game with VN elements than a straight VN (in particular, there's not really that much narrative compared to.... basically any VN, which is a shame because of how cool the worldbuilding is)

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Rockman Reserve posted:

Higurashi and Umineko both crash an inordinate amount for me, I should not have to obsessively save this much in a kinetic novel.

I have never had any VN ever crash on me, including both Higurashi and Umineko. What are you playing them on?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm glad i'm not the only one over the last few pages that bought Somnium Files and was trying to find a place to post about it :v:

I just beat the game this morning myself and while i'm not talking about the ending in particular here there are some pretty major things spoiled in the spoilers ahead. Particularly for Iris!

It was discussed earlier about The parallel worlds thing and i feel coming off Zero Escape especially that the audience is suppose to expect this line of thinking to really go somewhere when it doesn't and it 's kind of nice that it doesn't go totally off the rails? Although Date somehow having knowledge from all the other timelines is given a like 1 line explanation and then never brought up again. I don't know if the files would go into more explination of it or not though

I'm sure there is lots of things you could nitpick here and there but there are some things that bug me about Iris in particular

Considering how rich and powerful Renju was you'd think he would have been able to get the money/connections to get her the surgery before everything went down. It was kind of explained of how he only helps out "sometimes" (meaning not really much at all if his parenting of Mizuki is any indication) but considering everything he went through to keep Manaka around he would be a bit more proactive on that. Iris being somewhat new to his company is maybe an explination? But i still don't buy it

Also, the most controversial opinion. Invincible Rainbow Arrow is a good song :v:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I quite liked Paradise Killer. A lot of the game could be described as "walking sim" but the climax of the game is pure visual novel and it's fun seeing what your different options are.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

The Shame Boy posted:

Also, the most controversial opinion. Invincible Rainbow Arrow is a good song :v:

I adore that song and the finale with it.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Nth-ing Paradise Killer, it's an absolutely stunning experience. The kind I wish I could erase my memory of so I could experience it for the first time again.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

MegaZeroX posted:

I have never had any VN ever crash on me, including both Higurashi and Umineko. What are you playing them on?

Windows 10, through Steam :shrug:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have never heard of someone having problems playing vn's. At least the official translated ones. Have you tried disabling the steam overlay. Perhaps that's doing something.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

428: Shibuya Scramble did used to crash on some of the TIPs when the textboxes overflowed. Can't think of any other game that did.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Robotic Notes has really weird routing right? I seem to recall hearing the routes are determined by really arbitrary choices.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Robotic Notes has really weird routing right? I seem to recall hearing the routes are determined by really arbitrary choices.

Yeah, look up a guide or use the steam achievements guide after you've gotten an ending.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2256264147

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
I liked this one:
https://www.kirikiribasara.com/2020/10/15/roboticsnotes-elite-route-guide/
On the bright side, if you follow the guide, the amount of stuff you have to redo is almost zero.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Speaking of Robotics Notes Elite, it's now, like, my favorite thing ever.

It was very... affecting on a completely different level from most mystery VNs where it's all murda murda and crazy plot twists, and very little effort to give any of it emotional weight, or give you some connection to it all. Here it's all simpler, more down-to-earth stuff, which nevertheless all lands just right. They pull off sad, they pull off scary surprisingly well, by coming up with things that are legit sad or threatening stuff that is actually threatening as opposed to, say, protagonist dying. It all just resonated with me so well, I couldn't help but nod yeah, that was messed up. While the characters, in fact, didn't spend much screen time dwelling on the drama and kept on trucking towards the next gut punch. Letting the situations speak for themselves. The story just GOES, it felt shorter than it actually was.
The ending I wasn't particularly looking forward to, it was building up to what it was gonna be right from the start, but it executed on it just about perfectly, a solid wrap-up. Because it doesn't "go" some outlandish "places" I can't say I'll be remembering it often, but I super appreciate a VN that is just a drat good read all the way through without relying on gimmicks.

Sorry about :words:, I don't usually feel the need to comment when I finish stuff, but this was an unusual experience.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

woodenchicken posted:

Sorry about :words:, I don't usually feel the need to comment when I finish stuff, but this was an unusual experience.

Don't apologize! I was actually about to ask how Robotics;Notes is as a mystery fan, so this is some pretty helpful insight. I'll probably check it out now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I'm on Umineko episode 4 now, it definitely seems like it picked up a bit in quality around episode 3 in terms of writing and music and stuff. Without being too spoilery I liked the little story that Rosa told to everyone in episode 3, and I guess in general the way that episode ended was pretty interesting. I still found episodes 1 and 2 to be generally not great though and the very beginning of 3 to be a little slow as well. I have to finish the whole thing I guess to really judge it but it's hard for me to gauge whether I would recommend other people play it when I have to add "well you have to play through 2 entire episodes before it gets better, it's only 20 hours or something!"

I mean a lot of things happen in episode 2 obviously I just found it to not be that compelling for whatever reason compared to some of the later stuff in episode 3 and 4.

I'll probably try R;N sometime cause I really liked Stein's Gate, that Paradise Killer game looks pretty cool too.