Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Mokinokaro posted:

This one comes pretty close but I don't think it's the same one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24zcGSyXwXE

That cover's really good but yeah, it's not the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i like the end scene of episode 9 on a meta level. the tonal dissonance is what makes it great. who’s ever heard of a Very Special Episode in a show set in the middle ages, anyway?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
2 episodes in and Elfo is definitely the worst character ever invented in entertainment history

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I was really really hoping he was going to stay dead

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Elfo is funny and his whiny personality is perfect.

One time Pops tied me up like this and um, spanked my bottom.

Why are you telling me this right now?

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 13, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Like I assume inbetween seasons they had to have looked at people's reviews of the show calling Elfo worse than Jar Jar Binks but then they just double downed. It's like not only is the character annoying, he's just an awful person. His personal hell was watching Bean choose to save her mom over him and he guilt tripped her for it? Like she literally just met you a month before and you're being an rear end in a top hat about that. What a poo poo character.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

source your quotes

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Elfo as the fantastically naive goody-two-shoes yet who is also a bit of a compulsive liar as a way to play into their own self-pity is an ok character. The problem, as has been said many times, is that in any given scene, gently caress, any given line, you don't know if it's that Elfo speaking or the interchangeable sarcastic rear end in a top hat Elfo-Bean-Luci amalgam.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Moola posted:

source your quotes

Mostly from this thread.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Like I assume inbetween seasons they had to have looked at people's reviews of the show calling Elfo worse than Jar Jar Binks but then they just double downed.

These two seasons were the same production run so I doubt it.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Doltos posted:

Like I assume inbetween seasons they had to have looked at people's reviews of the show calling Elfo worse than Jar Jar Binks but then they just double downed. It's like not only is the character annoying, he's just an awful person. His personal hell was watching Bean choose to save her mom over him and he guilt tripped her for it? Like she literally just met you a month before and you're being an rear end in a top hat about that. What a poo poo character.

1. The new episodes were part of the original order, so they probably were written before the show was available.

2. “Doubled down”.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

He got spanked on his bum bum.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I think the show needs to be a comedy or a light comedy drama but not both.

Guns are too serious for this show. The tone of the show goes all over the place. I want a dumb comedy to relax or better yet a sharp witty comedy. At this point I’m not sure what Disenchantment is.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I'm 4 episodes in, and I'm not really sure why I'm watching this show... I guess it's interesting... I guess it's well-written?

The one thing it is definitely not is funny. Out of the entire first season I think I got maybe two or three real laughs, and the second season appears to be even less funny so far.

I guess even though I find it interesting, I'm struggling to relate to and/or like the main characters. I really don't feel anything for Bean, and I think her character has been really inconsistent.

Maybe it's not well-written, then.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I felt the same way. The king is the only funny character. Beans not meant to be funny but everyone else who is supposed to be funny around her are just annoying instead. Despite this I kept watching because the show actually had me interested, especially towards the end of this season. It legitimately has a neat little intrigue plot. Plus the writers created a fun take on a fantasy land. I like dumb, midget elves that trade all their gold for chocolate, or a fat, tri state area king that's married to a weird merfolk lady.

I'm also weirdly invested in every character except Bean, Elfo, and Lucy. They all have a ton of fun b-plots that tie into the main story. You don't usually see that level of writing in a cartoon show.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
They made more of this and it’s exactly the same.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You're just mad you don't have an elf for your shelf

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I have been rewatching Futurama and it is almost exactly the same. The stuff you remember from Futurama is the good stuff but there is a lot of chaff in between those few bright spots.

This stuff is almost painful to watch actively.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Yeah the jokes aren't as nerdy clever as a lot of Futurama sight gags but overall this really is at least at the quality of the Comedy Central seasons.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The bones of this show are incredibly strong. Mythology, character archetypes, design and setting are all top notch. But the dialogue feels like it's composed by 40-50-something industry writers.

Harley Quinn certainly has its missteps, but no one can accuse that show of not having a certain dumb young energy to it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It feels like it’s three seasons in but still is failing to pin down anyone’s personality.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels like it’s three seasons in but still is failing to pin down anyone’s personality.

Which character delivers which line all depends on which voice actor is best suited to that particular Laurel and Hardy / Three Stooges / Honeymooners joke.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I keep watching this show because it really feels like always gets so close but never follows through. The pacing of this season is also all over the place and things don’t coalesce elegantly.

Ogres randomly come back to take Elfo, Dagmire is back and I guess in league with Hell, Dreamland was built on Elvish land, Zog is insane, there’s the while curse, Odval is STILL scheming despite 15 opportunities to take over, and then there’s Alva with his agenda involving Steamland and Dreamland uniting that’s whole lot of poo poo cover in 10 episodes, and it rarely progresses in an elegant or satisfying fashion.

Elfo also doesn’t quite work as a main character when you have a series trying for character development. While the jokes aren’t particularly multilayered or impactful, I enjoy the main trio being catty assholes to each other, and especially Elfo as the whipping boy of the group. But that only holds up for so long, and they aren’t really taking him in any particularly good direction.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also, my niece was watching some cartoon about talking cars, and one of the villains is the same voice actor as Elfo pretty much doing the Elfo voice, and it is incredibly jarring.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
It feels like they just keep on setting up stuff without any real payoff. I do like the world building, but even after three seasons, it feels like nobody, including the authors has any idea where this is going.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Pants Donkey posted:

Also, my niece was watching some cartoon about talking cars, and one of the villains is the same voice actor as Elfo pretty much doing the Elfo voice, and it is incredibly jarring.

One thing this show suffers from is reusing the same voice actor(s) for all of the bit characters, there's only so much range one person can have and it makes it feel really low-budget. It doesn't help that they're already really familiar from Futurama.

OTOH, I am loving Richard Ayoade as Alma, because I'm just pretending he's a continuation of the salesclerk from Neo Yokio (what I mainly know him from). Also apparently he was the sassy droid from the heist episode of the Mandalorian S1 so now I've gotta go back and rewatch that for a third time.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

I ate the season 3 slop and it's the same as season 2. I loved season 1, felt it had lots of potential and the three lead characters were distinct. Now they're all the same character and the quips barely qualify as jokes. Think I laughed twice the entire season.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I've watched the first few episodes of season 3, I think somebody on the production team is way too in love with scenes of people falling down stairs, ramps or other inclines while they say ow.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pants Donkey posted:

I keep watching this show because it really feels like always gets so close but never follows through. The pacing of this season is also all over the place and things don’t coalesce elegantly.

I have very little positive to say about this show, but I keep watching despite myself because, as you say, there's something there which could be amazing.

But every time they get close, they switch to a generic Matt Groening moment and we've all been watching those for 30 years now.

To sum up my reaction for the past 3 seasons:

"Is this going somewhere? Wow, we're finally going somewhere! No, we went nowhere."

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pants Donkey posted:

I hate blaze and the monster machines and I hate Pickle, it really is just the Elfo voice.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Boy, that mora plot sure did suck a ton for a plot that did not need to suck that much.

MasterSitsu
Nov 23, 2013

This season is no better or worse than the previous ones. I'm not sure if I've ever laughed at this show. At best I see some clever visual gags on signs. But I keep watching and I don't think its duty but I haven't put my finger on why I keep up. I think the Groenig style is just comforting and the story is good enough.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MasterSitsu posted:

This season is no better or worse than the previous ones. I'm not sure if I've ever laughed at this show. At best I see some clever visual gags on signs. But I keep watching and I don't think its duty but I haven't put my finger on why I keep up. I think the Groenig style is just comforting and the story is good enough.

Did you ever watch the bad 90s tv show "Lexx"?

It had this thing where it started as a series of relatively high budget and high effort tv movies. Then became a regular tv show with an ever decreasing budget. So it had this weird feeling where the character concepts were extremely strong, the sets and costumes were a lot for a tv show and the sci-fi setting was pretty deep. But the actual episodes were just like, someone saying they want sex then farting on the camera half the time. Like the absolute lowest budget, lowest effort show imaginable playing out on a strangely well realized set of stages by extremely strong character concepts that mostly just acted annoying in practice.

This feels like that, like before the show was made someone really lovingly designed a bunch of settings and characters with just really strong concepts. Then that person left and just some nobodies that didn't care came in and wrote whatever, but with the benefit of the base setup being something someone paid a lot of money for. Like someone worked really hard to make really instantly powerfully recognizable character archetypes and silhouettes then they handed them to a room of writers that said 'eh, everyone is interchangeable, people like bender right? everyone is just bender, writing DONE'

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think this has been much funnier than the previous seasons. They still run a lot of jokes into the ground, but everything with Zog and the Archdruidess has been gold, I think both John DiMaggio and Tress Macneille are doing some incredible work here.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
imagine four Benders at the edge of a cliff.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
What in the world was the sam buca scene? I actually laughed some at it because it felt so overtly like a totally different show. Write the show like that instead

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Zodiac5000 posted:

I've watched the first few episodes of season 3, I think somebody on the production team is way too in love with scenes of people falling down stairs, ramps or other inclines while they say ow.

They keep doing it and I have decided it’s because they bothered to 3D model every character so there is an inordinate number of jokes in general where someone is rotated in some way.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Boy, that mora plot sure did suck a ton for a plot that did not need to suck that much.
In a vacuum I liked it, but again the pacing issues make it weird, because it’s entirely self-contained in one episode using a bit character we just met like one episode prior. There’s no build-up, and it’s never really mentioned again barring Bean getting over it in a single getting high montage. I cannot stress how much this show needs to learn to kill its darlings. It feels like the writers are used to plotting for 26 episodes when they actually have less than half that.

Same can be said for Elfo literally one episode before that, with characters falling in love after maybe ten minutes of dialogue. The emotional payoff doesn’t work.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Pants Donkey posted:

It feels like the writers are used to plotting for 26 episodes when they actually have less than half that.

The flip side is the episodes are all variable extended length and commercial free, with the longest episodes being almost 40 minutes long. So they have this unique opportunity to take all the time they need to tell each episode's story. Like the mora story happens absurdly fast and has zero impact. But also it's a 27 minute episode which is longer than any animated sitcom on tv, and also like half filled up with elfo wanting to gently caress a boat for some reason and like 5 minutes of a rake gag style scene of them running into mirrors and saying "ow".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
We are 100% seeing so much Dagmar due to horny animators.