Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

kynikos posted:

Thanks! Looks like I was way off. If I added another trigger with that configuration, say another person's phone, would the two automations wait for BOTH phones to arrive/leave before turning off/on the switch?

kynikos posted:

Thanks! Looks like I was way off. If I added another trigger with that configuration, say another person's phone, would the two automations wait for BOTH phones to arrive/leave before turning off/on the switch?

In this case either device changing state would trigger the automation. If you want to wait for both Phones to be "away" then add them to a group, and use that groups state as the trigger. e.g.

If you have a group of device_trackers, the state of the group will be "home" if anyone is home, and "away" if everyone is away.

If you want to make more complex automations then you'll need to start writing them in yaml. Ref: https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/automation/trigger/

Here's an example of my automation which triggers when anyone comes home:

code:
- id: '1549564291181'
  alias: Security off When Home
  trigger:
  - entity_id: group.family_bt
    platform: state
    to: home
  condition:
  - condition: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.security_system
    state: 'on'
  - condition: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.guest_mode
    state: 'off'    
  action:
  - service: input_boolean.turn_off
    data:
      entity_id: input_boolean.security_system
  - delay:
      seconds: 4
  - service: notify.alexa_media
    data:
      target:
      - media_player.hallway_tablet
      data:
        type: tts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Anyone ever play with switchbots? Not the type of thing I can really make useful, or, at least, the amount of money I would need to spend for this to be a solution to something would be pretty dumb, but it seems like a really cool automation thing to me if you have buttons that need to be pressed by something.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Anyone have experience with the Homepod Mini as as HomeKit Hub? How is it? I'm worried that the A5S processor isn't sufficient to really do what it needs to without a lot of latency and issues.

Then again executing batch scripts at intervals shouldn't be very stressful.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have 2 ATVs and 4 Minis. It seems to randomly rotate which device is the hub. My daughters mini is the current hub and I never really notice when it moves around.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm a bit :tinfoil: when it comes to putting a web-enabled camera in my house. I just want something basic (with audio) to spy on my dogs while I'm at work and am not opposed to buying something with a more involved setup / configuration process for the peace of mind that %random_company% can't just tune in and watch any time they want.

Is there anything like that on the market, or is it all just mass-market "So easy even your mom can do it" kinda products?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sab669 posted:

I'm a bit :tinfoil: when it comes to putting a web-enabled camera in my house. I just want something basic (with audio) to spy on my dogs while I'm at work and am not opposed to buying something with a more involved setup / configuration process for the peace of mind that %random_company% can't just tune in and watch any time they want.

Is there anything like that on the market, or is it all just mass-market "So easy even your mom can do it" kinda products?

Apple Homekit with a logitech cam is probably the simplest and fairly secure option (would be the most trustworthy out of the big cloud options imo), if you have an icloud storage plan you can have saved clips as well.

That’d be if you have an appletv/homepod for a hub and apple devices to watch on (I think maybe the icloud.com website works too?), if you’re not apple ecosystem then it’s n/a.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I was never an Apple guy, although I've been thinking about switching lately..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’m pretty much just on HomeKit and like it but there are not many homekit enabled devices out really. But with Home automation you can bridge other devices over.

The video recording stuff is pretty good although sometimes the playback can be a bit pokey to get loaded up. I have the apple one plan with 2TB storage and that will let me record up to 5 cams on it and their recordings don’t count towards that 2TB. The 200GB plan gets 1 camera stream recording.

Looking forward to the logitech homekit doorbell cam, that looks neat.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

priznat posted:

Looking forward to the logitech homekit doorbell cam, that looks neat.

Had mine for about a month and I’m mostly pleased with it. I’ve had two instances where it went into a connecting - disconnected cycle for hours which required me to reset the connection settings to fix. This last time, I moved it off the mixed 2.4/5G ssid and put it on a dedicated 2.4g ssid and so far it hasn’t recurred. Logitech support said there’s no logical reason for this to be the solution, but they couldn’t determine what causes the disconnects in the first place.

Other than that, it’s pretty snappy, especially compared to my neighbors ring/nest cams. You can usually get notified fast enough to actually see who is at the door, and the video quality is pretty decent. It’ll also announce visitors on the Apple TV and homepods, including their names if the facial recognition kicks in.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
My traditional thermostat and central heating system is starting to act up. Like the thermostats in one of the zones don't come on until a little bit after the time it was set to come on and last night the radiators came on at 1am even though the heating was supposed to go off at 10:30pm. The controls are really unintuitive and leave little room for troubleshooting.

Long story short, i'm looking to replace it with Nest (so i hope this it the right thread).

I was wondering how it worked though and what equipment i'd need to get.

Currently my house has 2 zones (living room and rest of house) with a thermostat in each. The rest of house radiators have manual TRVs on them.

To at least replicate my current setup, would i need to get 2 Nest thermostats and then replace all of the radiator valves with smart ones or something so it can detect/control the heat in each of the rooms?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I'm going to try asking here because I'm just out of ideas.
I've got a Nextech Z_32001 external wifi IP camera that I bought from Jaycar a while back. The only way I can access the thing is via its lovely app. Interesting thing about the app is it has an NVR password listed in it.

I've had no luck with this stupid thing yet. So far when it's just doing its thing without the app connected it has one open port. Port 7103. Couldn't get a fingerprint out of it either with nmap. However when I use the app on it with my phone it lights up like a xmas tree.

Below is the result of some scans using different options. It's worth noting that it makes the camera extremely unhappy. The video feed turns to garbage. Last time I tried this I had to power cycle the camera to fix it. I removed the mac address. I'm thinking I should try scanning a higher block of ports. Doing too many at once and it freaks out.

code:
PORT     STATE    SERVICE
1317/tcp filtered vrts-ipcserver
7103/tcp open  unknown
58/tcp   filtered xns-mail
93/tcp   filtered dcp
346/tcp  filtered zserv
367/tcp  filtered mortgageware
801/tcp  filtered device
1004/tcp filtered unknown
1286/tcp filtered netuitive
1445/tcp filtered proxima-lm
1448/tcp filtered oc-lm
1756/tcp filtered capfast-lmd

MAC Address: deleted (Unknown)
Device type: general purpose
Running: Linux 2.6.X|3.X
OS CPE: cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:2.6 cpe:/o:linux:linux_kernel:3
OS details: Linux 2.6.32 - 3.10
I should be clear. this camera has no web interface. Also initial configuration is done with the app using audio.
I've tried various apps on my phone and a couple on PC. One being Xeoma. I can't remember the other.

Does anybody know anything about this camera?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

snickles posted:

Had mine for about a month and I’m mostly pleased with it. I’ve had two instances where it went into a connecting - disconnected cycle for hours which required me to reset the connection settings to fix. This last time, I moved it off the mixed 2.4/5G ssid and put it on a dedicated 2.4g ssid and so far it hasn’t recurred. Logitech support said there’s no logical reason for this to be the solution, but they couldn’t determine what causes the disconnects in the first place.

Other than that, it’s pretty snappy, especially compared to my neighbors ring/nest cams. You can usually get notified fast enough to actually see who is at the door, and the video quality is pretty decent. It’ll also announce visitors on the Apple TV and homepods, including their names if the facial recognition kicks in.

Nice, thanks for the info! Does it work on only 5GHz wifi as well? I haven't seen it available here yet (Canada) but I plan on getting one when I can.

snickles
Mar 27, 2010

priznat posted:

Nice, thanks for the info! Does it work on only 5GHz wifi as well? I haven't seen it available here yet (Canada) but I plan on getting one when I can.

It’s supposed to support both. Outside of the disconnect issue, we’ve really grown fond of it.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

wolrah posted:

So I had heard that Philips Hue customer service was bad, but I had no idea how bad.

I've been trying since October 5 to get a failed E12 White Ambiance bulb replaced, involving phone, email, and Twitter support. So far their phone support told me everything was good, then they emailed me weeks later asking me to just return the bulb to the Home Depot which I didn't see until after the return period had expired. No one ever responded to my emails and while Twitter was initially responsive they have gone radio silent for the last three weeks.

I wish there were more decent options in E12. Normal size bulbs are a pretty competitive market at this point but candelabra still has a rather limited selection.

Finally an update, after over three months of loving around I opened my garage this morning to find a box sitting in front of it containing a replacement bulb. They never gave me any tracking to know when it was coming and whatever shipping company handled it left it in a spot where I would have run it over if I hadn't needed to walk around the front of my car, but I have it.

Definitely going to be investigating alternatives to the Hue line for any future lighting upgrades...

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Do any of the big names make a smart ceiling fan switch? One that has a fan speed and light button on a single switch?

The only one I've really found is this one on Amazon but it's not from any brand I've heard of and I'm weary of replacing the 5 fans in my house with these
https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Control-Treatlife-Assistant-Schedule/dp/B086PPRWL7

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

FCKGW posted:

Do any of the big names make a smart ceiling fan switch? One that has a fan speed and light button on a single switch?

The only one I've really found is this one on Amazon but it's not from any brand I've heard of and I'm weary of replacing the 5 fans in my house with these
https://www.amazon.com/Ceiling-Control-Treatlife-Assistant-Schedule/dp/B086PPRWL7

For switches, I know there's Leviton, Lutron, and GE ones
I bought a Leviton one from Home Depot and just hacked it into Home Assistant as a light entity so I didn't have to deal with their app, but it's not a combo, it's just the fan speed. I have a separate Kasa dimmer for the light.

Because wireless fan speed controllers are often located up in the fan box, there aren't many I've seen. If you have the ability to get a controller up in the fan box there are definitely more options including stuff like integrating into Harmony via an IR controller.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I would think a Shelly should work for that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The ceiling fan doesn't have a remote. My fan is wired for separate fan and light control so I can use a traditional dual control switch or something nicer like the Lutron ceiling fan switches.

I'm just looking for a smart/wifi version of those switches. I see a some people also just split the fan and light into two separate switches but unfortunately these are going into existing 3 and 4 switch gang boxes are are full already.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 11, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

There are definitely Z Wave switches that would do what you want (eg https://inovelli.com/red-series-fan-light-switch-z-wave/ - I think GE has one too.)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Because wireless fan speed controllers are often located up in the fan box, there aren't many I've seen. If you have the ability to get a controller up in the fan box there are definitely more options including stuff like integrating into Harmony via an IR controller.

I live in a 1950s house with no neutral and have installed three of these. They actually work very well, just a word of warning, they are a BITCH to install, there is zero extra room in the fan box to make these fit property, prepare for a horrible time actually getting them in the fan.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Three Olives posted:

I live in a 1950s house with no neutral and have installed three of these. They actually work very well, just a word of warning, they are a BITCH to install, there is zero extra room in the fan box to make these fit property, prepare for a horrible time actually getting them in the fan.

Yeah, and my bedroom has a cathedral ceiling so that's exactly why I didn't bother even trying

Luckily my house is only 22 years old so I have modern wiring

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Yeah, and my bedroom has a cathedral ceiling so that's exactly why I didn't bother even trying

Luckily my house is only 22 years old so I have modern wiring

I use the Caseta fan control switch for my fan in my office, but it doesn't have any lights on it. Already in the ecosystem so was a no brainer. Have simple automations setup to fire it up in the summer when the thermostat gets too high.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

movax posted:

I use the Caseta fan control switch for my fan in my office, but it doesn't have any lights on it. Already in the ecosystem so was a no brainer. Have simple automations setup to fire it up in the summer when the thermostat gets too high.

Check this out though, Caseta fan controller switches, unlike the Caseta light switches, aren’t compatible with SmartThings, even with a bridge.

Don’t ask how I found this out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Definitely looking at starting to put Caseta switches throughout the house (thanks movax!).

Do these things go on sale as often as Hue bulbs? Just curious on whether I should wait to get stuff on sale, or just start piece by piece?

Also, can multiple Caseta hubs be used in a larger home? Will they talk to each other? I'm seeing some 2016 posts that said no they can't, but was curious if anything has changed since.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Definitely looking at starting to put Caseta switches throughout the house (thanks movax!).

Do these things go on sale as often as Hue bulbs? Just curious on whether I should wait to get stuff on sale, or just start piece by piece?

Also, can multiple Caseta hubs be used in a larger home? Will they talk to each other? I'm seeing some 2016 posts that said no they can't, but was curious if anything has changed since.

I think the only time I've seen them on sale was on Prime Day, and even then that was only for the starter kit with the bridge. One thing you'll notice real quick is that the regular switch is virtually the same price as dimmers — so, unless you have a load that can't be dimmed / really only want on/off, the dimmer is virtually the same price.

One thing Lutron does that I love is maintain this page which documents every single SKU / model they offer. The PD-5NE is the most expensive but also the most capable, handling ELV, MLV, etc, the PD-6WCL is the no-neutral quintessential dimmer (great for pure incandescent loads) and PD-6ANS is the switch. It's a bit irritating that the PD-5NE is the only switch that has the circular favorite button on the physical switch itself (all the Picos have it), so if you have a room that you want someone to be able to go to some set brightness vs. on/off, you have to spring for the PD-5NE even if you don't need all of its capabilities.

As for multiple hubs, nope — that's market segmentation on Lutron's part, and the next levels up I think require you to be an installer / is protectionism for that industry (I think it goes SelectRA2, and then something else for basically literal mansions / estates). You can extend the range of your bridge/hub with the plug-in lamp dimmer or dedicated extender, but that's about it — won't increase the maximum number of devices. Pico remotes will count against you in number of devices. I have a ~2000 sq. ft townhome and I currently have 41 devices in my Lutron system — I am quite literally almost out of switches to Caseta-ify so I doubt I'll ever really go past 50. I think the limit is now 100, but you'll definitely want to double-check.

blugu64 posted:

Check this out though, Caseta fan controller switches, unlike the Caseta light switches, aren’t compatible with SmartThings, even with a bridge.

Don’t ask how I found this out.

WTF?? That is weird as hell.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I bought two eufy 2k indoor cameras since they were on sale ($60 total) and I need to watch how a new dog handles being left alone / interacts with cats. If I add more home smart systems, is it best to stick with one brand or just mix and match what looks best? I'd like to avoid having any subscriptions unless its necessary / optimal

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

movax posted:

WTF?? That is weird as hell.

https://community.smartthings.com/t...-this/162593/11

https://community.smartthings.com/t/lutron-caseta-fan-control-switch-march-2019/148966/53

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Are you looking at Caseta because of the brand or because of the two wire support?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

We've got a unit in a co-op in the city with some really old security cameras running off of COAX cables. The one time they could've proven useful for a downstairs neighbor who had a rock thrown at their window by a drunk rear end in a top hat at night, the camera failed miserably as the images were just blurry 960x480 messes. After some digging it looks like there are HD-CVI cameras that can pull 1080p over the same cables, but this sounds too good to be true, like it has to have some catch. Anyone have any experience in this regard?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

eggyolk posted:

We've got a unit in a co-op in the city with some really old security cameras running off of COAX cables. The one time they could've proven useful for a downstairs neighbor who had a rock thrown at their window by a drunk rear end in a top hat at night, the camera failed miserably as the images were just blurry 960x480 messes. After some digging it looks like there are HD-CVI cameras that can pull 1080p over the same cables, but this sounds too good to be true, like it has to have some catch. Anyone have any experience in this regard?

If the cables are good coax cables it's no problem. If they are improperly terminated or really low grade cable it might be a different story.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

movax posted:

I have a ~2000 sq. ft townhome and I currently have 41 devices in my Lutron system — I am quite literally almost out of switches to Caseta-ify so I doubt I'll ever really go past 50. I think the limit is now 100, but you'll definitely want to double-check.

The limit was upped to 75 within the last year.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Are you looking at Caseta because of the brand or because of the two wire support?

Honestly I haven't even pulled a switch off the wall yet, so I have no clue if I have a neutral. I'm guessing yes since the house was built in 99.

I'm considering them because:
- I'd rather have smart switches over buying a billion smart bulbs. I have a lot of fixtures that are multi-bulb. I also have ceiling fans in every room, which are all 3 odd-sized bulbs each.
-- Like 3/4 of the bulbs in my house magically burned out within 3 months of moving in, so I already spent money on replacing them with LED bulbs :v:
- HomeKit compatibility
- They use a bridge so I don't have a ton of extra wifi devices hammering my mesh network.
- They aesthetically look pretty decent
- The lamp dimmer can be used as an extender. Although in practice, I don't really have any lamps that I care about dimming.
- Goon recommended. movax's experience seems to mirror my needs.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 15, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Don't forget "controllable without automation because in the end, it's a switch."

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
I was just mentioning that it it because Caseta was the only option for 2 wire support for awhile but Savant (Super legit custom automation company) bought GE lighting division and they have their own line of 2 wire switches that I just put in my house. They run significantly cheaper than Caseta and don't require a hub. No Homekit but I believe that is coming soon, but of course don't buy anything because support is allegedly coming soon.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Tangential to my smart switch endeavors, I’m looking for an indoor camera for my toddlers’ room as an alternative to a traditional baby monitor. Super annoyed always having our stupid monitor having a dead battery and also having to keep track of it instead of just pulling it up on our phones.

I guess the one nice thing about a traditional monitor is being able to leave it on so we can hear them cry or whatever. We wouldn’t really have that with, say, a Ring cam. Don’t think a Stick Up or whatever can do sound notifications as opposed to motion. We do have a handful of Ring cameras so it would be free to add to our yearly subscription.

Are there any indoor cameras that have sound notifications?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
There's the Yi Cam, which I have and like.

However, I found the best solution was simple radio baby monitor and then the Yi Cam (or any camera really) with an app on your phones. In practice, we were quite happy with this. Also, when I was at the office and Mum at home, I could check in on them remotely.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
The Wyze cams do sound notifications.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Eufy's have it too, although might be another one of those things disabled when HomeKit support is turned on if that matters.

FreelanceSocialist
Nov 19, 2002
Anyone have any recommendations for super-simple Google Home-compatible water leak detectors? I don't need any plumbing integration (e.g. valve shutoffs) or anything. Just need to monitor for standing water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Tangential to my smart switch endeavors, I’m looking for an indoor camera for my toddlers’ room as an alternative to a traditional baby monitor. Super annoyed always having our stupid monitor having a dead battery and also having to keep track of it instead of just pulling it up on our phones.

I guess the one nice thing about a traditional monitor is being able to leave it on so we can hear them cry or whatever. We wouldn’t really have that with, say, a Ring cam. Don’t think a Stick Up or whatever can do sound notifications as opposed to motion. We do have a handful of Ring cameras so it would be free to add to our yearly subscription.

Are there any indoor cameras that have sound notifications?

There's dozens of baby monitors with built in camera's that you can access with your phone, its a big market. They not only monitor for sounds but if you are really paranoid there are even baby monitors with built in IR cameras and anklets that monitor blood oxygen, pulse and etc...

9 years ago I put camera monitors in my kids rooms from birth through around ~3 years old and supplemented them with noise detecting baby monitors. There are many free apps to monitor generic camera video streams so you don't really need to use a service while you are internal to you wifi network.