Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've seen worse:gonk:
Are you proofing them now?
Once you egg wash and bake them it should be ok.
Next take some of your laminated dough and make pain au chocolat:btroll:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Thumposaurus posted:

I've seen worse:gonk:
Are you proofing them now?
Once you egg wash and bake them it should be ok.
Next take some of your laminated dough and make pain au chocolat:btroll:

Yep. They were proofing in the oven right after that picture. I put a measuring cup full of hot water cause it’s like 45 degrees in the kitchen and kept it shut, replacing it about 2 hours in. I took them out after 3 hours and right now I’m test baking my first batch and the rest is sitting in the fridge.

There’s an awful lot of butter sizzling away on the baking trays. Google says it’s either under proofed or the oven temperature wasn’t hot enough. I heated it to 425 F.

E: this first batch has all my excess dough that I stuffed with Nutella cause that was all I had readily available.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Baked at 400 for 10 minutes and 375 for 15. Looks amazing on the outside but the inside is a bit sad.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Proof them longer they should be kinda wobbly when they are ready to bake. You have to be really careful egg washing them when they get like that, but some of the best croissants I ever made were the times I got busy doing stuff and almost over proofed them.

They look great and I'm sure they taste great too.
Enjoy!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Made my first focaccia with some fancy hard red winter wheat I got from Castle Valley Mill. Might have gone a little crazy with the cheese, but it was really good with some roasted pepper & tomato soup. Think I might crank the temperature next time and do toppings afterward to really get crispy sides and bottom.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

Proof them longer they should be kinda wobbly when they are ready to bake. You have to be really careful egg washing them when they get like that, but some of the best croissants I ever made were the times I got busy doing stuff and almost over proofed them.

They look great and I'm sure they taste great too.
Enjoy!

After playing around with the temperature/timing my last batch ended up proofing for 6 hours. They’re great but not amazing yet. Quite happy for my first try at it though.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Chad Sexington posted:

Made my first focaccia with some fancy hard red winter wheat I got from Castle Valley Mill. Might have gone a little crazy with the cheese, but it was really good with some roasted pepper & tomato soup. Think I might crank the temperature next time and do toppings afterward to really get crispy sides and bottom.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

General question about flour: can I ignore what the package says the flour is for is just focus on protein content? Like when it says “bread flour (13% protein)” can I just use it in any recipe that calls for 13% protein flour? There’s nothing special about that flour that makes it “bread” flour right?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

General question about flour: can I ignore what the package says the flour is for is just focus on protein content? Like when it says “bread flour (13% protein)” can I just use it in any recipe that calls for 13% protein flour? There’s nothing special about that flour that makes it “bread” flour right?

Yep, other places just call it strong flour or whatever. If a recipe calls for a specific percent, anything off the shelf that matches should be just fine.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So my boyfriend dabbles in making bread while I'm fairly experienced. He freaks out when something simple might go wrong even when it actually hasn't. Any recomendations for a bread book I can buy him that will teach him the theory behind all of this and markers to work with from recipe to recipe? I want him to have something to learn from because he knows I don't put much stock in following recipes exactly and he doesn't trust me when I do that.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Dough by Richard Bertinet is pretty good I think.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Spikes32 posted:

So my boyfriend dabbles in making bread while I'm fairly experienced. He freaks out when something simple might go wrong even when it actually hasn't. Any recomendations for a bread book I can buy him that will teach him the theory behind all of this and markers to work with from recipe to recipe? I want him to have something to learn from because he knows I don't put much stock in following recipes exactly and he doesn't trust me when I do that.

I used to preach Flour Water Salt Yeast, but I Bread Bakers Apprentice is a little better explaining some of this. It’s mentioned in pretty much every book but bread making is as much an art as it is science. It’s going to be basically impossible to replicate all of the variables of the original recipe especially when they are not listed/measured (house humidity/temp, kneading strength/time, oven temp, flour freshness/protein/moisture content, water minerals, yeast activity, etc.). Some will have a large effect on the overall loaf produced, some won’t. There is a window of reproducibility to each recipe and it’s your experience as a baker that will ultimately guide you to the final product that you want. For example, if a recipe calls for kneading in a mixer for 5 minutes, but you notice that the dough hasn’t developed enough gluten then you will need to mix longer. Also for the most part, whatever loaf you end up with will be better than pretty much anything you can buy at the store. It sounds like you probably know most of this but thought I would mention it anyway. I used to get frustrated in the beginning when I would follow recipes very strictly and they wouldn’t come out like the pictures but once you start doing it regularly you get a feel for it and know how to adjust on the fly.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Yeah Im more on the art side of bread baking and have been doing it for about ten years now. I have sub par loaves sometimes, but no duds and it's usually because i slacked on something on purpose. I'll get him bread bakers apprentice it sounds like what I was looking for thank you.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Dude just needs to get baked before he bakes. :2bong:

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

He's just gotta lose that anxiety through exposure imo. Just keep baking and forget about it

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

effika posted:

This one worked for me. Get some rye flour as a boost for it, and I've used whole wheat otherwise.

Wanted to come back to this for a short moment.
Just threw out some foul smelling soup I made because I hosed up the measurements for the second time while feeding the starter.

My plan is to now copy this to word and change all the US measurements to gr, so a sane person can use it. Then print that and put it on the inside of my kitchen cabinet. The instructions are good but those measurements just tripped me up twice. And then I try again.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I keep my starter at 100% Hydration in the fridge so its always nice and easy. 150g of starter, 150g of flour (I use a mix of plain and wholewheat), 150g of water.

People who use cups to measure things are not to be trusted.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Aramoro posted:

I keep my starter at 100% Hydration in the fridge so its always nice and easy. 150g of starter, 150g of flour (I use a mix of plain and wholewheat), 150g of water.

People who use cups to measure things are not to be trusted.

I just ignore every recipe that uses volume to measure mass because it makes no sense.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I feel a lot of that are remnants of a time where accurate scales weren’t common place. These days when you can get a +/- 1g scale for :20bux: delivered everything should be in grams.

I’m looking at you, cocktail recipes.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Spikes32 posted:

Bread bakers apprentice is probably the best book about bread, covers all breads, and is written with an intro about a guy who is having everything go wrong with his bread during a once in a lifetime opportunity to show off.

It’s also the best textbook out there imo

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

For those without scales flour is about half as dense as water.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just ignore every recipe that uses volume to measure mass because it makes no sense.

The worst offenders for this are people who measure butter in cups. Like it's solid, how am I meant to do that. Second place is people who measure butter in sticks.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Keetron posted:

Wanted to come back to this for a short moment.
Just threw out some foul smelling soup I made because I hosed up the measurements for the second time while feeding the starter.

My plan is to now copy this to word and change all the US measurements to gr, so a sane person can use it. Then print that and put it on the inside of my kitchen cabinet. The instructions are good but those measurements just tripped me up twice. And then I try again.
Totally do everything in grams if you can. gently caress us Americans and our volumetric units.

Other good guides for starter IME are The Perfect Loaf and King Arthur Baking. They do measurements by weight from the start. I did the latter to good success about a month ago, although it took about 10 days to really start rising after feeding. It’s also mostly all-purpose flour instead of using rye like a lot of people suggest, which a) would change the flavor profile a bit and b) probably contribute to the slow start.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

For those without scales flour is about half as dense as water.

For those without scales they’re like literally $10$13 at Walmart.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Recipies that measure yeast by # of packets can eat poo poo too.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Aramoro posted:

The worst offenders for this are people who measure butter in cups. Like it's solid, how am I meant to do that. Second place is people who measure butter in sticks.

I guess this is an issue of you get your butter not in sticks, but each stick is half a cup so I've always found that quite easy!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chad Sexington posted:

I guess this is an issue of you get your butter not in sticks, but each stick is half a cup so I've always found that quite easy!

Also 113 grams

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Speaking of yeast, what’s the difference between the blue packet Fleischmann’s “rapid rise instant yeast - fast acting” and their red glass bottled “active dry yeast?” I bought a strip of the blue ones in a pinch when I was making croissants but as I’m gonna start baking breads again I picked up a jar of the red one today.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Speaking of yeast, what’s the difference between the blue packet Fleischmann’s “rapid rise instant yeast - fast acting” and their red glass bottled “active dry yeast?” I bought a strip of the blue ones in a pinch when I was making croissants but as I’m gonna start baking breads again I picked up a jar of the red one today.

Active dry yeast must be activated first with warm water before using (you should also subtract out that amount of water you use during activation from the recipe). Instant yeast can be mixed in whenever without needing activation. You can convert between the two if needed. You will need to use about 25% more active dry than instant. Instant yeast will also work a little faster.

Here is a good explainer: https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/03/all-about-dry-yeast-instant-active-dry-fast-acting-and-more.html

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just order this off Amazon and put some in a jar in the fridge and wrap the rest in the package in foil and stick it in the freezer.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B075SBXF87/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_mu0aGb8T3MX3J

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I feel like it should be called inactive dry yeast then but whatever. If you don’t activate it wouldn’t it start to activate when it comes in contact with liquid in your dough anyway?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
FWIW King Arthur Baking says that Instant and Active Dry can basically be subbed 1:1 with each other and be handled the same way (i.e. no re-hydrating or w/e), but Active Dry might just rise a little more slowly.

Definite :yeah: for buying a brick of SAF Red and keep most of it in the freezer, though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’ll get that after I’m done with my jar. Should I be storing that in the fridge as well?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

What’s an easy bread I can make in a 9x5 loaf for toasting with butter?

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Slightly less artisinal now, please pay no attention to the rogue ear.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s an easy bread I can make in a 9x5 loaf for toasting with butter?

Brioche for hot butter on butter action
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/brioche-recipe
Just use milk instead of the water + dry milk they say.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

Brioche for hot butter on butter action
https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/brioche-recipe
Just use milk instead of the water + dry milk they say.

What is dry milk anyway? Google says it’s some kind of powder? Literally never heard of powdered milk before. I did see it on a bunch of the King Arthur recipes and had no idea what it was especially cause it’s non-diary which makes even less sense.

How serious are they about the “we don’t recommend hand kneading” bit? I don’t have a stand mixer, and my hand mixer didn’t come with dough hooks.

E: I may have gotten something mixed up cause I coulda sworn those recipes said non-dairy dry milk.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 18, 2021

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hand kneeding a heavy butter recipe is not very enjoyable. You'll need to combine the dough sans butter then work the butter in bit by bit with a scraper and slap and folds. It will take a while but look for a YouTube vid on the above methods.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is dry milk anyway? Google says it’s some kind of powder? Literally never heard of powdered milk before. I did see it on a bunch of the King Arthur recipes and had no idea what it was especially cause it’s non-diary which makes even less sense.

How serious are they about the “we don’t recommend hand kneading” bit? I don’t have a stand mixer, and my hand mixer didn’t come with dough hooks.

At least in Britain, Powdered Milk is something famously awful people choked down during rationing, like Chicory Coffee. It's definitely diary though (it's just boiled down milk) so maybe it refers to something different in America. Google suggests powdered coconut milk when asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

It's still just dried/powdered milk, not sure what process they used to remove the water, boil + freeze dry maybe? Most grocery stores in America sell it, but I don't know what most people use it for. I used to use it to make my yogurt super thick without straining. ~2 cups of powder mixed in with a gallon of milk worked great.

e: example