Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
If the 1992 Royal Rumble match is the best, what’s the second best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

britishbornandbread posted:

The 1992 Rumble which is not as good as the 2008 Rumble. The 1992 Rumble doesn't even make sense you have a face Hogan eliminating Sid, what was up with that??

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

MassRafTer posted:

The 1992 Rumble which is not as good as the 2008 Rumble. The 1992 Rumble doesn't even make sense you have a face Hogan eliminating Sid, what was up with that??

Not quite as baffling as having heel Flair go over an hour and end up looking like a babyface at the end

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My personal top ten:

10. 1993
9. 2010
8. 1996
7. 2003
6. 2018 (men's)
5. 2004
4. 1992
3. 1990
2. 2007
1. 2001

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

My favorite part of 1992 was Jake Roberts entering, then spending every entrance thereafter going to the ramp and checking to see if the next guy was Randy Savage. Then Savage finally appears and Jake is gone by the time he gets there

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Obviously the rankings are

1. The Greatest Royal Rumble (it had 50 superstars!)
2. 2011 (40 superstars!)
3-33: All of the rest of them
34. 1988 (20 superstars, pathetic)

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Price Check posted:

Yeah, this is a great point and true across a lot of wrestling. Flair and Steamboat had, supposedly, hundreds of house show matches before their famous series in 1989. Guys had a chance to work each other a lot and that probably evens out the difficulty of calling it in the ring. The "Road To..." tags on NJPW shows seem to serve a similar function now. Guys have a chance to get in there together, works a few spots, get a feel for what crowds like or don't like before their big singles match at the end of the tour.

On the other hand, you have Flair telling George South (a great jobber in his own right, as in an actual talent) "Tonight, you're gonna be Ricky Steamboat" and then he went and had a near 15 minute match with him on tv, across an advertising break.
All because he was angry with Dusty for having to work that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10ih_V2VM3Y

Flair didn't get that reputation for calling it in the ring for nothing.

My favourite bit of the story, and I hope its true, is that Dusty was fuming mad and in the break was yelling at Flair demanding an explanation and Flair just goes "I can't beat a guy like George South in 2 minutes, you know that"

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

We’re watching 2001 now and halfway through. All that hardcore trash in the first half and the insistence on making it Rock v Kane for ages brings this down.

My partner and I decided to do a shot of Amoretto for every dead wrestler and only done one so far for Brian Christopher. Roll on Eddie/Test/Eddie, I’m sobering up.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So you're watching Royal Rumbles in the 2000s, and taking a shot every time you see a dead guy? Or for every wrestling that died that year? If it's the latter, I'm glad you're not drinking anything full-proof.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I love the 2010 Rumble personally, it's got so many different things going for it: Straight Edge Savior CM Punk dominating the first fifteen minutes or so and cutting promos between eliminations, a really fun Beth Phoenix/Khali spot, a really great run from HBK trying to get his shot at the Undertaker, and a fun surprise return/winner. Well worth the time to check it out if you haven't seen it.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

So you're watching Royal Rumbles in the 2000s, and taking a shot every time you see a dead guy? Or for every wrestling that died that year? If it's the latter, I'm glad you're not drinking anything full-proof.

We are just doing it for 2001 and for every dead wrestler who comes out. About so thirds in and had four shots, and one was Howard Finkel announcing!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Edge & Christian posted:

Obviously the rankings are

1. The Greatest Royal Rumble (it had 50 superstars!)
2. 2011 (40 superstars!)
3-33: All of the rest of them
34. 1988 (20 superstars, pathetic)

- 1988's Rumble is great because of Harley Race's rope-swing selling.

- 1992 is one of the best in spite of the Hogan/Sid miscalculation. Even watching Flair's run, you had no idea who would win.

- 1995 sucks, except that I love the camera angle that gives a viewpoint of the entrant, which I don't think they used again.

- 1994 was good, because the finish worked (for me), and the Diesel run was great.

- I love '96, even though I think it lacked in star power, and is generally not popular.

- '97 was a little messy, and was really lacking in star power, but it really made Austin and Bret look like a million dollars, and led to the amazing 'Final Four' match.

- Recent Rumbles have sucked for me, because of the horrible camera work, and because of the insistence on comedy poo poo stuffed in.

- '90 is fun, mostly because the crowd was insane and screamed for everything, even elimination teases. (I had to come back and correct myself; seriously, go look up this match. The crowd was loving into this show.)

Any Rumble where people leave for a long time and come back is bullshit and hurts the match.

Red fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 15, 2021

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm a big fan of 2005 just for the finish.

They managed to botch into the perfect tandem finish, and then Vince busted his quads.

I know nothing about the rest of that Rumble.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
2004 is arguably the best, but it's obviously a lot harder to watch now for a lot of people. And it has what's probably the best Royal Rumble match finish, which I was told at the time was Big Show's idea. (And the attempts at re-doing it after Benoit killed himself and his family were never as good as the original.)

2006 is probably the one with the most promise that disappointed the most.

So for most people, badly booked finish aside, 1992 is probably stil the best.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

davidbix posted:

At the time, 2006 was really cool in a "are they really doing this?" way. With rewatches, it's only average.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Gavok posted:

My personal top ten:

10. 1993
9. 2010
8. 1996
7. 2003
6. 2018 (men's)
5. 2004
4. 1992
3. 1990
2. 2007
1. 2001

im glad you listed 2018 b/c i think it gets overlooked a lot due to the general badness of the company at the time. heath slater getting dominated by all the entrants at the start then snap eliminating sheamus is unironically one of my favourite spots. and pretty good surprises w/ andrade, cole, and rey mysterio, and nakamura was a great pick for a winner even though they, yknow, hosed that one up.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

davidbix posted:

2004 is arguably the best, but it's obviously a lot harder to watch now for a lot of people. And it has what's probably the best Royal Rumble match finish, which I was told at the time was Big Show's idea. (And the attempts at re-doing it after Benoit killed himself and his family were never as good as the original.)

Yeah, that Rumble made Benoit look like the toughest wrestler on the planet, but I think people forget that it actually made Big Show look like a threat too, which is quite startling when you consider how often they've bungled him pretty much since his debut. Love the image of highly respected wrestling wizard Kurt Angle coralling everyone from both brands to try and eliminate Show, and they STILL all fail. When Benoit eventually managed it singlehandedly, after having already been in there for over an hour, it made for an even more epic finish. Shame about what happened later making it nigh unwatchable for a lot of people. :(

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Maybe I’m being harsh but what makes 2001 so good? There’s incredible star power by all means, but the hardcore trash fest at the beginning was really jarring, unnecessary blood from Austin and people being tossed quickly to make it Rock v Kane one on one for too long. I did enjoy the Scotty 2 Hotty apprehension walking down to face Taker and Kane though, that got a laugh.

It was not a bad rumble, at all. It’s just I didn’t see any real memorable spots other than the joke Drew Carey one.

Having said that, four shots of spirits were enough,along with my other beers. Very hungover this morning. My turn to pick a rumble next so going to go with 08.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Oh God, I forgot about Austin seeming to blade THE BACK OF HIS HEAD. :cripes:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
2001 WWF is often romanticized as "the end of the Attitude Era" (read: the end of your childhood), so Austin winning the Rumble one last time and facing Rock at Mania, at the absolute climax of their rivalry, has a lot of built-in goodwill that lends itself well to nostalgic viewings. I wouldn't call it the best Rumble, but it made a ton of storyline sense at the time.

Benne fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Jan 16, 2021

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
When Austin/Rock's eyes meet for the first time in 01 is one of the most electric things to have happened in a rumble (but maybe my memory has exaggerated it). Also hilariously recreated with Cena/Orton a decade later with the crowd not giving a single poo poo at all.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

The Austin Rock locking eyes and the crowd/commentary reacting to it was great. That’s fair, I should have mentioned that. I think I’ve since watched the x7 main event so many times that perhaps it lessened the effect.

Good post above about attitude era/end of childhood nostalgia. I think 99 was the best year of WWF purely as I was twelve and watching Raw every week on a Friday here in the UK, but no way do I want to go back now and rewatch Road Dogg v Goldust. The past is a strange place.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I watched the 1990 royal rumble last night and it was really good. You get DBiase, Savage, Roberts and Piper in early and dominating the first half of the match, then Andre, Demolition and Hogan/warrior/rude and perfect anchoring the back half. It was cool to see star power sustained throughout. I could have done without Hogan winning, but the stakes weren’t the same back then. I think the Wrestlemania title shot stipulation has really hampered the booking of these matches.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

TheKingslayer posted:

That might have been Austin that said he didn't hear so good. I can't find the particular clip but I remember him mentioning not being able to hear guys a few times and usually called the match.

That's what I meant. Apologies for not phrasing it correctly.
It's led me to wonder if Austin has hearing issues or if he has audio processing issues but doesn't know what that is.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

davidbix posted:

So for most people, badly booked finish aside, 1992 is probably stil the best.

2004 is great, things aside, but I aggressively hate anything that has to do with Brock/Goldberg feuds, so that hurts it a bit for me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Which Rumble had Ax and Smash as the first two entrants, so they just shrugged and started beating the poo poo out of each other?

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Which Rumble had Ax and Smash as the first two entrants, so they just shrugged and started beating the poo poo out of each other?

1989. Andre at 3. Lovely stuff.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I'm a big fan of 2005 just for the finish.

They managed to botch into the perfect tandem finish, and then Vince busted his quads.

I know nothing about the rest of that Rumble.

Three other things of note:

- Paul London dying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAHLw-TZ3kE (video quality sucks, but you get the point)
- Benoit/Eddie/Bob Holly shooting on Daniel Puder
- Flair almost-but-not-quite turning on Batista

I like the '05 Rumble.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Maybe I’m being harsh but what makes 2001 so good? There’s incredible star power by all means, but the hardcore trash fest at the beginning was really jarring, unnecessary blood from Austin and people being tossed quickly to make it Rock v Kane one on one for too long. I did enjoy the Scotty 2 Hotty apprehension walking down to face Taker and Kane though, that got a laugh.

It was not a bad rumble, at all. It’s just I didn’t see any real memorable spots other than the joke Drew Carey one.

Having said that, four shots of spirits were enough,along with my other beers. Very hungover this morning. My turn to pick a rumble next so going to go with 08.

It's a strongly-paced, not so obvious, entertaining hour that takes advantage from the fact that it's during the creative high-point of WWF's existence with a killer roster. I'll just post what I had in my "ranking every Royal Rumble" article.

quote:

People always hold the Attitude Era in such high regard and revisiting it, it’s definitely something seen with rose-tinted glasses. Hell, look at how low years ’98-’00 have ranked on this list. The WrestleManias weren’t so hot either. But that final year was pretty magical. At the very least, the last few months. WWF was at a creative high point with possibly the best talent they’ve ever had while WCW and ECW were laid out in a hospice. WrestleMania X-7 is celebrated as the big finale to the Attitude Era that hits the landing, but the Royal Rumble match that leads into it is just as wonderful.

This one isn’t a one-man show like Flair in ’92 or Austin in ’97. Kane does get the early draw and lasts 53 minutes in total, working like a boss and solidifying himself as a monster, but despite being the MVP, this isn’t all about him. So many people pull their weight here. Not just Austin and the Rock, but lots of people get to shine and it really feels like a big ensemble fight gimmick match that hits its full potential. Even the silly stuff like Drew Carey and Honky Tonk Man entering are done to perfection without hurting the product.

I guess one of the contributing factors is that it’s broken up into sections. It kind of evolves from segment to segment without ever overstaying its welcome. For instance, there’s several minutes of Kane brawling with hardcore wrestlers and just before it can get tiresome, Kane grabs a garbage can and destroys everyone, ending with him clearing the ring.

The final three are Kane, Austin, and Rock and it’s a perfect setup. In a few months they’ll be giving WrestleMania X-7 an Austin vs. Rock main event, so this is the preview, but it isn’t an obvious storyline so it really feels like any of those three can win. Meanwhile, all three of them have been through complete Hell (Kane’s endurance plus how he’s been teamed up on a bunch, Rock was put through a table by Big Show, and Austin was bloodied by a Triple H ambush), so they’re all on equal footing. Then it ends with a final elimination that is completely badass and makes Kane look like a champ despite losing.

While I'm at it, here are my top 10 worst Rumble matches. Not counting stuff from 2020, as I haven't updated the piece since before then.

10. 2011
9. 2014
8. 2019 (women's)
7. 1991
6. 2012
5. 1999
4. 1994
3. Greatest
2. 1988
1. 2015

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, the 2001 Rumble holds up due to excellent pacing, and clear sections of the match.

You start with the Hardys to get the crowd into it, some comedy stuff with Drew Carey, KANE!!!, the Honky Tonk Man who comes in, sings a song, gets decked and gets eliminated, the hardcore level, and so on, with occasional well-placed breaks and really well-done spots like Taker and Kane hanging out in the ring, and Scotty II Hotty making his entrance looking terrified as he heads to the ring.

The 2000 Rumble was a great show with a stand-out match in HHH v. Cactus Jack, but the actual Rumble match itself was a bit poo poo (and made even worse by Lawler being gross and racist about Taka's injury to the point where JR is clearly pissed with him).

And since the 2005 Rumble's been brought up, the Muhammad Hassan bit is disgusting and racist bullshit and can gently caress off.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AlmightyPants posted:

I remember from some interview somewhere that Omega talked over the match layout for his dome match with Okada with the Bucks, and their reaction was "holy poo poo, that's the match of the year". I doubt it was move by move for 48 minutes, but if we've learned anything it's that Omega puts an absolutely extraordinary amount of detail into everything. I think it would be fascinating to see whatever his notes were. And at what point Okada decided that taking that dragon suplex was a good idea because that still bothers me years later.

On Jericho's podcast where he has a bunch of people on to talk about Brodie Lee, the Bucks mentioned that laying out that big FTR + Elite vs. Dark Order 12-man match took about 12 hours. He (Brodie) was really annoyed at how long it took but was of the opinion that it ended up being totally worth it.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
"I WANNA SEE THAT CHAHNESE GUY FALL OVER AGAIN JR!"

"... He's Japanese."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

King’s commentary has aged about as badly as anything in the attitude era

My girlfriend wanted to see how the hardys got famous so I showed her the first ladder match they had with E&C. King spent the whole match talking about Terri Runnels’ vagina.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
It’s called the Terri Invitational Tournament JR!!! You know the tee I tee!! *hyena laugh*

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lawler's commentary has aged like unwashed gym socks. It's bad now and it was never good

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It worked when you were a horny teenager. Less so when you arn't a horny teenager and actually want to watch the loving match. I just remember that Joshi match on Raw where King is trying to tell a really, really stupid longform fat joke because Aja Kong is in the ring and loving Vince tries to keep eyes on the action.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

There's a lot of bad poo poo during the Attitude Era, which honestly hasn't aged particularly well IMO, but honestly, I'd say the paedophile on commentary is the worst part of it. Other gross poo poo like Terri faking a pregnancy or the latent lgbt-bashing with Goldust in 98 and stuff is terrible as is, but at least it wasn't all over the loving show.

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

jesus WEP posted:

My girlfriend wanted to see how the hardys got famous so I showed her the first ladder match they had with E&C. King spent the whole match talking about Terri Runnels’ vagina.

Someone suggested that I put sexism in my random bigotry thread, and I was like, I'm sorry, but I only have two hands to give carpal tunnel.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

Finished a fun online DJ set so fiancé and I have settled down with a beer and shots for every dead wrestler in the 08 rumble. Some returning legends in this one, so it might be worse than last night....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ChrisBTY posted:

It worked when you were a horny teenager.
Oh yeah, when I was a teenager, nothing got me hotter than an old man shrieking "The puppies!" over and over and over and over