Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

If all it needs is a headlight bulb, why would you not get that before trying to sell it? Also, I dearly love threats in ads like that. “If I don’t sell it, I’ll just drive it off a cliff!!!!”
This one seems to say “if I don’t sell it, I won’t sell it”, so... yes? What a weird way to attempt to encourage a buyer. I know what they’re trying to say here, but it could be worded far better and less aggressively.
Then again, if they’ve ever dealt with Craigslist buyers before, I can understand the attitude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I love the "oh it runs a little rough but all it needs is a $50 crank sensor"

gently caress off, if that was really the issue you would have just fixed it.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I just googled the Laser, because I'd forgotten them, and the wiki had this neat infographic:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
At that price, if it’s manual, it’s likely worth it. Even if it’s a base model.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

It's an auto :(

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah I love the "oh it runs a little rough but all it needs is a $50 crank sensor"

gently caress off, if that was really the issue you would have just fixed it.

I've always thought that too, but I did actually run into a similar situation. I was moving from Fargo to Portland in January, and I was selling my 4x4 Ranger. It had an electrical 4x4 solenoid on the transfer case that was dying, so you'd hit the button on the dash and it wouldn't always engage. Not wanting to be a dick (selling a 4x4 pickup with 4x4 that doesn't always work in the dead of winter in North Dakota), I mentioned that in the ad, along with a link for the part.

I probably should have fixed it myself before I sold it but it was cold as balls outside and I procrastinated.

I miss that truck.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nebakenezzer posted:

I just googled the Laser, because I'd forgotten them, and the wiki had this neat infographic:

Unfortunately the one in the ad is a non-turbo model. The 4G63 equipped cars are very capable, I had one myself long ago and it was a hoot to drive. And the awd variants were cleaning up at the street races like nobody's business.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Nitrox posted:

Unfortunately the one in the ad is a non-turbo model. The 4G63 equipped cars are very capable, I had one myself long ago and it was a hoot to drive. And the awd variants were cleaning up at the street races like nobody's business.

Not only that but I think that's a 1.8L since it doesn't even have the POWER BULGE (4g63 timing belt/cover clearance) in the hood. I too had a 92 AWD that was decently quick. It was a chore on upkeep though.

edit: decided to look up these things for old time's sake. Found this which is interesting: 27k mile, AWD turbo manual for only....20k, heh
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/4E3CT64U9NE012378?partner=CFB_5&fbclid=IwAR3mm1befO6p6yUnf3dGiHZE-HkVU0ZZcQkFvSRs0ng5sxXaH51tnPh17Ec

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jan 15, 2021

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

edit: decided to look up these things for old time's sake. Found this which is interesting: 27k mile, AWD turbo manual for only....20k, heh
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/4E3CT64U9NE012378?partner=CFB_5&fbclid=IwAR3mm1befO6p6yUnf3dGiHZE-HkVU0ZZcQkFvSRs0ng5sxXaH51tnPh17Ec

Holy poo poo

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Nebakenezzer posted:

It's an auto :(

Worthless. Sorry.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Suburban Dad posted:

Not only that but I think that's a 1.8L since it doesn't even have the POWER BULGE (4g63 timing belt/cover clearance) in the hood. I too had a 92 AWD that was decently quick. It was a chore on upkeep though.

I wonder if it will sell for that much. On one hand that was a cool car from when I was growing up, and on paper it is like an Evo coupe. It should be off the charts cool. On the other hand DSM’s have zero JDM cred and don’t get the same love as other stuff from the 90’s tuner scene.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

No way in hell. I had a dsm because it was cheap speed. I imagine most people are similar. Nostalgic value sure but take 5-10k off of that price easily IMO. Maybe some odd collector may think otherwise, who knows.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I feel like the eagle talons tend to be cheaper than the mitsubishis as well, but that is pretty low miles so there's always that chance someone drops the money to complete their 1G DSM collection

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The only nostalgia DSM car I would put money into is Gallant vr4, and I'm not the only one, because prices are climbing fast.

The foxbody mustangs were cheap speed as well, but look at the price of a clean coupe today.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I always liked the looks of the 97-98 talons but I don't think there are clean ones out there anymore and I don't like them enough to pay 10k+ in the first place. :v:

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Nitrox posted:

The only nostalgia DSM car I would put money into is Gallant vr4, and I'm not the only one, because prices are climbing fast.

The foxbody mustangs were cheap speed as well, but look at the price of a clean coupe today.

The Galant VR4 isn’t really a DSM car - it’s only tangentially related to them and was built in Japan.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is there a difference between DSM and Mitsubishi?
Or is DSM just easier to type that Mitsubishi?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Diamond Star Motors specifically refers to the Eclipse/Talon/Laser.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Colloquially, DSM refers to Eclipse, Talon, and Laser. But the actual joint venture Diamond Star Motors plant produced other cars including the North American market Gallant (not VR4s).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

They’re not DSM cars but I always had a soft spot for the 3000GT / Stealth twins.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Selling my 1987 Porsche 944s 5 speed standard 168k with full cat back exhaust and rear wheel spacers comes with the original documentation and porsche certificate of authenticity the S model only made for 2 years 87 and 88 passed inspection a couple months ago and is still licensed 6500$ obo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Suburban Dad posted:

Oh my god this rules.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Nebakenezzer posted:

Selling my 1987 Porsche 944s 5 speed standard 168k with full cat back exhaust and rear wheel spacers comes with the original documentation and porsche certificate of authenticity the S model only made for 2 years 87 and 88 passed inspection a couple months ago and is still licensed 6500$ obo

I’d do it. Good price.

+Fuzzy Dice
- Lousy Head Unit and Steering Wheel. But w/e.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think it's a good price/looks good too.

So anybody mind if I state things in an impossibly strong way just to hear what people think?

I THINK 944s LOOK COOL BUT ARE OTHERWISE MASSIVELY OVERRATED, THERE IS NOTHING THEY DO THAT LESS ESOTERIC CARS CAN'T DO BETTER

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I disagree. It’s a fine platform.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I think they're very good looking cars, and pratical-ish because of the hatchback. I like the 968's better, the 928 better yet, and the 924's less. The 944 is "yeah, I'd actually be able to own one of these to gently caress around with", not as true of the 928 and 968.

Level-of-esoteric-ness doesn't really factor into how much I want anything, more "how big of a piece of poo poo was this when it was brand-new".

boxen fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 19, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I've always had a soft spot for a minty 968 or late 928. They are genuinely getting harder to find nice examples that aren't $rape$ and MT have always been a big premium on the 928 but even more so now.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

slidebite posted:

I've always had a soft spot for a minty 968 or late 928. They are genuinely getting harder to find nice examples that aren't $rape$ and MT have always been a big premium on the 928 but even more so now.

I think these are hideous (928) but they came out before I was born so I have no nostalgia from when they were new (and possibly cool?). Most 70s and a bunch of 80's cars look like that to me though in some way. Still, I like the 944. FIL has a 944 S turbo that I really want to drive.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I wanna take out the Porsche 4 cylinder and put in a k series. Or I wish Ford made half a coyote.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Coredump posted:

Or I wish Ford made half a coyote.

In the old days you could make half a 5.0 yourself with enough boost.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Coredump posted:

I wanna take out the Porsche 4 cylinder and put in a k series. Or I wish Ford made half a coyote.

Wouldn't that be one of the Ecoboost 4-bangers? Well, I guess the Coyote isn't boosted...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Darchangel posted:

Wouldn't that be one of the Ecoboost 4-bangers? Well, I guess the Coyote isn't boosted...

Yeah large capacity but good volumetric efficiency and NA power. If they took half the Voodoo then you’re looking at a 260 hp 2.6 liter four cylinder if they can keep it revving to 7500 rpm. But even half a 5.0 is 225 hp or so. That’s stout.

boxen posted:

In the old days you could make half a 5.0 yourself with enough boost.

I just want you to know I appreciate this joke.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 22, 2021

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Whatever happened to the Porsche 914? When I was a kid they were everywhere and I can't tell you the last time I saw one on the road.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The 914 seems to be less popular that a lot of other Porsches these days, making it relatively cheaper and a good candidate for electrification imo.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
914 in my area, hell Midwest, long ago went away to the gods of oxidation, sacrificed for being made of metal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Number_6 posted:

Whatever happened to the Porsche 914? When I was a kid they were everywhere and I can't tell you the last time I saw one on the road.

When I was a kid seeing a 914 was no big deal, I imagine they all went the way of the dinosaur because nobody wanted them, so with no one around to save them like old 911's most of them just disintegrated back into the earth.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Frond posted:

+Fuzzy Dice
- Lousy Head Unit and Steering Wheel. But w/e.

Yes that steering wheel screams PS1 Logitech steering wheel.

Elephanthead posted:

914 in my area, hell Midwest, long ago went away to the gods of oxidation, sacrificed for being made of metal.

Good ones are going up, up, up in value now.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

This is pretty sweet:

1984 Toyota Cressida · Sedan · Driven 172,000 kilometers

2.8L in-line six DOHC RWD , call ------------ , 4000 ONO

[Saskatchewan plates, so hopefully rust is minimal]

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
I put about 100,000 miles on a 1987 Cressida and to this day is still one of my favorite cars I've owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

BigPaddy posted:

Yeah it is just some trim parts, a couple of badges and a sticker in the door jam. It also has the Monte Carlo SS front clip but you could get that by ordering an El Camino SS so really it was just a few bits of trim. I had one that someone had dropped a 90s 350 crate engine in and it was still slow as balls.

Lol. That said I would absolutely rock a choo choo camino or any of the other sticker package pick up cars, there was a ... Black knight I think? And at least one other