Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I wonder how he got to that point. He seemed well just a year earlier in the WWF.

I think you've got rose colored glasses because hecsaid and did some pretty whackadoo dhit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think you've got rose colored glasses because hecsaid and did some pretty whackadoo dhit
No rose colored glasses here, just don't remember what batshit insane things he said in that period

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Wasn't his last thing before going to WCW his feud with Goldust? I can imagine the promos might be.....bad

JonathanSafranFoer
May 23, 2020

MassRafTer posted:

Bischoff agreed to it.

No he didnt you absolute turbomark

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DJExile posted:

Ok JSF who's re-reg are you

Be honest

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

JonathanSafranFoer posted:

Yes he did.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He said it you son of a bitch

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

JonathanSafranFoer posted:

lmao aren't you the guy who trolled this thread a while back?

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Wow they really didnt explain Bischoff joining the nwo huh. Piper just calls him a liar then the nwo runs out and hulk and bischoff hug

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

CptAwesome posted:

I just watched the episode with the music video

What's the deal with the music video

You mean the Konnan video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DObjKiF4tz4

Or the awesome Disco Inferno version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDSUD0by7x0

Oil of Olay, All Day Everyday!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

It was only 3 minutes but I swear Bow Wow Wow felt like 30 minutes back then. Guaranteed channel change. And they played it a lot for a bit.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Tato posted:

It was only 3 minutes but I swear Bow Wow Wow felt like 30 minutes back then. Guaranteed channel change. And they played it a lot for a bit.

WCW started the trend of hating wrestling on a wrestling show and filling it with other poo poo

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BrigadierSensible posted:

You mean the Konnan video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DObjKiF4tz4

Or the awesome Disco Inferno version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDSUD0by7x0

Oil of Olay, All Day Everyday!

I think they meant the time Roddy Piper tried to intimidate Hogan by showing off a music video that Piper did.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

I remember him feuding with Jerry Lawler and giving us the line "There ain't no such thing as a king!". Well, mate, there kind of is in a lot of places.

Also the match was bad, though maybe not as bad as some of his WCW matches.

EDIT: Although I seem to remember peak Piper craziness being when he was brought back to WWE in 2003, when they thought they were doing Sean O'Haire a favour by pairing them together.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Disco's version made it worth it to sit through Konnan's version twice a week for a month straight.

smikey
May 22, 2004
I think Piper demanded they play that music video or he wouldn't show? I can't believe they thought him v hogan would work in the late 90s, not like Piper didn't have hip replacement surgery or anything.

edit: those music video clips remind me how much happier Schiavone seems in AEW on commentary. and I still love Konan the cuban playing an LA cholo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

smikey posted:

I think Piper demanded they play that music video or he wouldn't show? I can't believe they thought him v hogan would work in the late 90s, not like Piper didn't have hip replacement surgery or anything.

edit: those music video clips remind me how much happier Schiavone seems in AEW on commentary. and I still love Konan the cuban playing an LA cholo

Piper vs Hogan did huge business for WCW.

smikey
May 22, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

Piper vs Hogan did huge business for WCW.

Yes, well, as a weekly viewer I still hated it. But then I was never going to get my parents to order any wrestling PPV as a kid, and I'm a weirdo who rarely ever cares about any promotion's main event "scene" or its players

edit: and when the WWE network launched I went back and watched pretty much every PPV from the 90s and I feel pretty validated I never worked to see a PPV live as a kid, rarely did matches seem any better or exciting between "names" on PPV than on TV. I'm a really weird consumer of wrestling; I've bought I think 2 iPPVs and those were in the last 5 years, I do own some tshirts, and went to 3 ROH live shows, and one of them was a NJPW crossover PPV, and even those were because they were reasonably nearby. I just do not go out of my way for entertainment, it seems.

smikey fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 15, 2021

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

smikey posted:

Yes, well, as a weekly viewer I still hated it. But then I was never going to get my parents to order any wrestling PPV as a kid, and I'm a weirdo who rarely every cares about any promotion's main event "scene" or its players

As a teenager I thought Piper was a really cool wildman in 1997 and really liked seeing him cut these crazy promos on TV.

By 1999 he was just bad and completely awful in every way. But the first year or so of his run I greatly enjoyed. Except his family. That was just the best.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

What I remember about Piper vs Hogan in WCW is:

Piper trained for their match by locking himself up in Alcatraz
Piper claimed that he was the one guy Hogan had never beaten in his career, (dunno how true that claim was, but young me thought it was cool)
He then beat Hogan in a non-title match and from there the feud sizzled out.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

What I remember about Piper vs Hogan in WCW is:

Piper trained for their match by locking himself up in Alcatraz
Piper claimed that he was the one guy Hogan had never beaten in his career, (dunno how true that claim was, but young me thought it was cool)
He then beat Hogan in a non-title match and from there the feud sizzled out.

Piper beat him in a non title match in the first match, non title despite the fact Piper could pick the stips.
He trained for the second match on Alcatraz.
There was then a third match at Halloween Havoc called Age in the Cage which had a bunch of run ins and no real finish.

This all sounds like stupid garbage especially the last one. Well you have to realize this was when Sting vs Hogan was really heating up so Sting is heavily involved in the build and thus it's really cool and I kind of get excited thinking about it.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Y'all have reminded me that I not only saw Starrcade 1996 live, but still have the tape.

I remember it being bad. The lineup seems to have two good guaranteed matches, two that had potential to be OK and a lot of dreck. I have little memory of this PPV (other than it being bad) and no desire to revisit it. Did anything deliver at all?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Y'all have reminded me that I not only saw Starrcade 1996 live, but still have the tape.

I remember it being bad. The lineup seems to have two good guaranteed matches, two that had potential to be OK and a lot of dreck. I have little memory of this PPV (other than it being bad) and no desire to revisit it. Did anything deliver at all?

The Final Student of Bruce Lee Dragon vs Malenko is one of the best matches in WCW history. Liger vs Rey is also very good, Jarrett vs Benoit and DDP vs Eddy are fine, the tag title match is OK. Luger vs Giant is OK too. The rest is a pass.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

The consummate worker. Don't let anyone forget you put Hulk Hogan to sleep THREE TIMES, even in a Playstation rant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmO0LzkZTug&t=423s

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Isn't it considered bad form to bring up that someone never beat you for guys from Hogan and Piper's era?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jan 15, 2021

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1350129423429869571?s=20

Oh Scott :allears:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Was Roddy Piper's best match booked by John Carpenter?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Was Roddy Piper's best match booked by John Carpenter?

Not unless he booked the dog collar match with Greg Valentine

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Isn't it considered bad form to bring up that someone never beat you for guys from Hogan and Piper's era?

It's kind of interesting, because did Piper ever actually beat Hogan through the 80s or say that he did explicitly? I feel like anything with those two always ended in some kind of bullshit, so it's kind of funny to say Hogan never beat Piper when Piper also never beat Hogan.

I think it makes more sense for a heel to use that line because it builds to the babyface (hopefully) eventually beating them, but Piper gonna Piper.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Ganso Bomb posted:

It's kind of interesting, because did Piper ever actually beat Hogan through the 80s or say that he did explicitly? I feel like anything with those two always ended in some kind of bullshit, so it's kind of funny to say Hogan never beat Piper when Piper also never beat Hogan.

I think it makes more sense for a heel to use that line because it builds to the babyface (hopefully) eventually beating them, but Piper gonna Piper.

Of the 2 matches I know of between them in WWE, Orndorff did the job at WM, and their one singles match ended in a schmozz

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

Yes he did.

There have been thousands of hours of interviews and documentaries on the Screwjob, and I've never seen anything that suggested Bischoff was trying to figure out a way to game Bret's last match in the WWF. Bischoff, for all his faults, understood what kind of person Bret was, and got that Bret wanted to be respectful about the end of his time in the WWF.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Ganso Bomb posted:

Based on Cagematch, Roddy beat Hogan by countout at an October 1984 house show at Boston Garden, and lost every single other match they had against each other (singles or tag) though their WWF tenure.

Piper beat Hollywood Hogan with a sleeper twice in WCW (Starrcade 1996 and Halloween Havoc 1997) so I don't know where he's getting the third time from.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Superbrawl VII probably, where Piper won yet again with the sleeper, then the ref waved off the decision

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I want the library of all the Nitro party tape submissions.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Remember when Lee Marshall used to call in from Nitro Parties? I always assumed that was bullshit and he was just calling in from backstage.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

If they were actually paying Lee Marshall to go to what amounts to frat parties once a week and make a phone call he had one of the better grifts in the company.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

Women’s wrestling expert Lee Marshall would never lie to you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheKingslayer posted:

If they were actually paying Lee Marshall to go to what amounts to frat parties once a week and make a phone call he had one of the better grifts in the company.

Probably still behind Mean Gene. I was reminded on a recent Between the Sheets (I think) how for his paid hotline deal Gene teased 'a former world champion has passed away' and he really, really wanted you to think it was either Flair or maybe Dusty because one of them weren't around at the time but it was I believe Jerry Blackwell and Gene mentions it in the very last line of the call. Gene was making crazy money off of that, too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I maintain wrestling lost something when they moved to just advertising their upcoming dates on the bottom crawl, as opposed to taking a whole little segment to say "This Sunday we'll be live in Decatur at the Lenscrafters Arena..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Maxwell Lord posted:

I maintain wrestling lost something when they moved to just advertising their upcoming dates on the bottom crawl, as opposed to taking a whole little segment to say "This Sunday we'll be live in Decatur at the Lenscrafters Arena..."

You don't get your buddy your pal Scott Stanford?