Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Boxman posted:

Whatever is going on in Wandavision, it definitely has something to do with her kids, right? My guess might've been "she lost the children and went crazy, made a pocket universe where everything is perfect for the children." But "ladies be crazy am i rite" would be an absurdly bad look in 2021, and I can't believe it would actually make it to air, so who knows

Its definitely a thing with how hard they touched on it, especially Agnes. Although she didn't have kids as far as we know in the MCU before this, and Vision is a robot who died years ago. So if she actually had kids with him that's a lot of untold backstory.

In the comics I think Wanda just subconsciously made her kids with her powers because, you know, Vision's a robot. She inadvertently used part of Mephisto's soul for them and he went and took it back and "killed" them or something. Then later he died and they were reincarnated as Wiccan and Speed. I know Agatha Harkness was a big part of that story. Also Vision got stripped of his humanity. Wanda was never really the same after that and lost it somewhere along the way leading to Avengers Disassembled/House of M.

Its hard to see them adapting all of that but with Wanda in the second Strange film so I wouldn't be crazy shocked if we do Agatha and the kids here and set up for Mephisto there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

STAC Goat posted:

Its definitely a thing with how hard they touched on it, especially Agnes. Although she didn't have kids as far as we know in the MCU before this, and Vision is a robot who died years ago. So if she actually had kids with him that's a lot of untold backstory.

I legitimately forgot that where we are now, post-Endgame, is at least 5 years after Vision dying. But yeah, her creating the perfect world because she wanted kids with Vision would be the substitute. Again though, I would think they wouldn't make an entire show based off of a woman losing her grip on reality because she lost her OTP. That plot beat was met with skepticism when it happened, and people haven't gotten less critical of these things since then .

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think there's room to talk about years of compounding trauma without reducing it to hysterical women

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On one hand it's a good idea to get this out in the open on other hand releasing an edited clip is absolutely going to give people plenty of evidence to go "there's probably stuff we're not seeing here."

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My guess is if they go that angle it won't be Wanda losing her mind but rather Agatha, AIM, Hydra, SWORD, whoever manipulating her and loving with her head. She keeps getting interrogated by the "neighbors" so maybe its that old thing where they put her in a "dream" but her powers are allowing her to control it and make poo poo real or something.

And yeah, I think you can do "Wanda's traumatized and being manipulated" without doing "women be crazy."

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I think the sheer amount of poo poo that Wanda's gone through capped off with the hosed up way Vision died is more than enough to justify losing her poo poo, without it coming off like "lol women am I right"

like, her entire story in the MCU begins with her having already been traumatized and also a science experiment, and life does not get much better for the Scarlet Witch after that

edit: it's not that different from what Cap did anyway, don't @ me

Lunatic Sledge fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 16, 2021

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

The stuff about the devil being everywhere, the cult chanting "For the children," the horrible monster covered in bees - I feel like Wanda made a deal with Mephisto to have a happy ending. I would bet we're seeing Quicksilver before this is all over.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

You know, Bushman is the obvious choice for rehabilitation as a character, but can we talk for a sec about how great Ethan Hawke would be as Dracula? Come on show, give me the meme line.

edit: Yes, I know it's a photoshop.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know why anyone bothered making that fake panel when we already have this real panel that is 10 times funnier.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cartridgeblowers posted:

The stuff about the devil being everywhere, the cult chanting "For the children," the horrible monster covered in bees - I feel like Wanda made a deal with Mephisto to have a happy ending. I would bet we're seeing Quicksilver before this is all over.

I'm thinking roughly the same thing but I figure Wanda sought out a way to get Vision back, found Agnes/Agatha, and she did the witch thing of not telling Wanda the true cost or that she was making a deal with the devil.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

I think Hemsworth said he doesn't plan on leaving the MCU. He seems to genuinely enjoy it, and having Taika come on probably helped that a bunch. Plus even if he gets out of shape, it's canon now!

And yeah, the Cox thing has been rumored so many times that I have to think it's real.

Yeah I think he said he really didn't like saying thor after Thor 2 and avengers 2 but taika allowed him to change up the character and that continued in infinity war so he's fine with sticking around. Thor was stagnating pretty hard and didn't have a ton of personality so I can't blame him for wanting to leave.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know why anyone bothered making that fake panel when we already have this real panel that is 10 times funnier.

The best part is it's over like 80 bucks.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
My early impression of WandaVision is that Kathryn Hahn is acting rings around Bettany and Olsen in all the faux-Bewitched bits.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shirkelton posted:

My early impression of WandaVision is that Kathryn Hahn is acting rings around Bettany and Olsen in all the faux-Bewitched bits.

Hahn is kind of the comedy ringer, though. I did also realise all the major guest stars are either sitcom people or have experience in period pieces.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Shirkelton posted:

I agree but it does help her that she's just basically playing straight as opposed to Bettany and Olsen who are kind of playing this role of "wacky sitcom husband/wife" and "character who is waking up to their surroundings and realizing that all is not as it seems" at the same time

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The classic sitcom speech patterns are very annoying and I hope it doesn't take too many episodes before the era shifts passed that.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The classic sitcom speech patterns are very annoying and I hope it doesn't take too many episodes before the era shifts passed that.

They're in a different era every episode so the second episode already starts to change that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

They're in a different era every episode so the second episode already starts to change that.

Yeah but they're still in an era that did it that way for now. I'm just hoping episode 3 is far enough ahead to get away from it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I was not expecting these episodes to be entirely the old sitcom and that's part of why I've been so impressed with Olsen in the role. She acts like a modern person but also really turns it on as the TV wife. Sitcoms are in the Olsen blood I guess.

As Gaz-L basically said, Hanh is perfect for this but that's not surprising. Had to laugh when Debra Jo Rupp showed up as well because if you want sitcom experience and selling the notion of sitcom she's a perfect choice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Hey now. Luke does a job, he gets paid. It's not "Hero for Gratis."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gaz-L posted:

It was 200 dollars, which is still hilariously small for a guy who owns a country.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but they're still in an era that did it that way for now. I'm just hoping episode 3 is far enough ahead to get away from it.

3 seems to be doing The Brady Bunch, which was still pretty stilted. I think we're not gonna see naturalistic acting in the sitcom parts until about 4 or 5, when we're closer to the modern day.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah my guess is we'll get Brady Bunch style, then Who's the Boss, then Friends, then... maybe New Girl or something? Trying to remember what was going on in the mid 00s sitcom world but drawing a blank since that's when I started torrenting and streaming poo poo instead of watching normal tv

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think they'll probably stop with the 80s or 90s. The previews showed the 80s would be Family Ties-like. If there's a 90s then I imagine it has to be like Full House. I don't think the gimmick will last past that though, so either one or two more sitcom episodes before the series opens up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

One of the teaser bits seemed to have a talking head Office/Modern Family type clip.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

STAC Goat posted:

One of the teaser bits seemed to have a talking head Office/Modern Family type clip.

Okay but make the Office one about SWORD and not Wanda and Vision.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What, you're gonna do a modern sitcom pastiche with Randall Park and Kat Dennings, pfft, good luck, like they could pull that off...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the gimmick can extend as long as there's progress. Wanda's pregnant at the end of Ep 2, seems to have babies in the 70s bit, and there's clearly a trick or treating thing with the classic comic costumes which suggests their kids will be grown a bit. So that all feels like we're gonna get progress on whatever's happening to Wanda through these gimmicks. She can still be trapped in the illusion or whatever even once poo poo's really started to get weird or they've become very aware.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I hope they stop with the Office take. 2010s sitcom delivery is say a racist line way too loudly, pause and smile while the canned laughter runs.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The 00s sitcom episode should be an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
The previews show Family Ties/Full Houseish 80s episode with babies and Rosanne style 90s with kids drawings on the fridge after that it's kinda unknown. I think she'll stay pregnant and maybe give birth at the end of the Brady Bunchesq 70s episode. At some point they seem to snap back to "reality" so maybe that's after the 90s, don't know what the 2000s would be gimmick wise.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I assume the Halloween episode is the big turn into action, because you can have them in costume.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Well Manicured Man posted:

The 00s sitcom episode should be an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Wanda
Alters
Natural
Dimensional
Area
Viciously
In
Seriously
Ill-advised
Occult
Necromancy

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

TwoPair posted:

Wanda
Alters
Natural
Dimensional
Area
Viciously
In
Seriously
Ill-advised
Occult
Necromancy

Vision: The Brains
Also Vision: The Muscle
Wanda: Wildcard, bitches!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
“Wanda & Vision Move to the Suburbs”

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

If there's a 90s then I imagine it has to be like Full House.

With this lead actress you pretty much have to.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Maybe they'll do a left turn and swerve into MASH territory

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/getFANDOM/status/1350881488934367233?s=20

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Who wants this

Adbot