Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Again, I'm not saying that it's praiseworthy that the wrestlers sign with WWE, I'm saying that blaming the wrestlers for going for the job willing to pay them the most is a super bullshit thing to do, and takes the blame off the company who is exploiting their higher capital to hoard as much talent as they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Senerio posted:

Again, I'm not saying that it's praiseworthy that the wrestlers sign with WWE, I'm saying that blaming the wrestlers for going for the job willing to pay them the most is a super bullshit thing to do, and takes the blame off the company who is exploiting their higher capital to hoard as much talent as they can.

I’m not blaming them for it. If they need the money, take the money. And the wrestlers deserve a far greater percentage of it than they’re getting.

But go in there knowing and being okay with that you’re doing it for the money. You can’t go in there expecting both money and happiness/fulfillment at this point unless you’re just willfully ignorant.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

If it were Mike Kannelis complaining that he was getting 500k a year and wasn't in any main event programs then I'd be like 'settle down Mike not everybody can be a world champion'
But when it's 'My boss keeps stealing my side hustles and I don't have the leverage to push back' that's all on the boss.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
How much is Austin Creed even making per year? 500k? That's a lot. He does not need that much money. Nobody needs that much money. With as much money as he's made over his career he should be able to quit whenever he wants and be financially set for quite a while. I won't blame him for being mad about the Twitch thing because that happened after he'd renewed his contract but if it's a big enough deal to him he should take a stand and help himself and his coworkers out. There's no way he needs the WWE job to remain financially stable unless he's horrible at managing money.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

mooseinfants posted:

How much is Austin Creed even making per year? 500k? That's a lot. He does not need that much money. Nobody needs that much money.

Massive lol

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

you can make better pizza with ingredients from the store, and cheaper too

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

No one needs 500k, but Vince completely sure as poo poo doesn't need the extra money he makes by loving them out of their extra money.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I need 500k

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

collocation posted:

No one needs 500k, but Vince completely sure as poo poo doesn't need the extra money he makes by loving them out of their extra money.

Yeah, if we look at the toll wrestling puts on the body no one in wrestling is really seeing their fair share.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

what are you up to for the next 5 years and does Tony Khan think your tapes are cool?

Atillo
Jan 9, 2007

ICR posted:

quote:

which led to a furor from Miro about lies and such and childish insults

This is a weirdly petty aside that breaks the flow of the sentence for no real benefit. Has Dave always been this thin skinned?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I would be surprised if any the New Day aren’t making significantly more than $500k, especially taking into account that they are top merch sellers.

500k was the “don’t go to AEW” number they were extending NXT talent at a year ago. New Day are worth way more, even if WWE criminally underpays compared to other sports.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

All of new day are multi millionaires for sure and while they are not a great material example of the poo poo Vince does because of that, not everyone is even close to being them. Zelina is not that, for instance. And I'm fine with some rich people getting richer off their own work if that means people who aren't rich aren't getting hosed out of the fruits of their labor.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I wish these three were in AEW so I could watch and enjoy their antics. I assume it'll be forgotten in 2 weeks when Vince gets bored of it.

Alternatively, it's a way for Billie to help them win the tag titles before Peyton shows back up to reform IIconics and challenge for the belts.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Gonna underbid you all by asking for 450k. Owned. :c00l:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MJeff posted:

He re-upped last year because he's an idiot.

Pretty sure less than like six months after New Day all re-signed, they got split up.

*When* exactly did he re-up?

If it was earlier in the year I can’t blame him because AEW wasn’t a sure thing yet, and if it was later in the year I wouldn’t blame him for not wanting to take a risk during a pandemic.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

its a pretty big risk, wwe is known for not touching anyone once they've been on AEW programming

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Anyone who signed with WWE because AEW wasn't a sure thing is a coward. Should have bet on their own success.

At least they would have had their twitch and cameo money, even if AEW didn't sign them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Atillo posted:

This is a weirdly petty aside that breaks the flow of the sentence for no real benefit. Has Dave always been this thin skinned?

I don't think he's ever been known for his elegant prose.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's Dave reminding the bucks to not book themselves against Kip and Miro so he doesn't have to give the bucks less than 3*.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Yeah, Dave is so thin skinned.

Not like my tough boys who said Dave was going to hell or wanted him dead or said he's scum or whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Anyone who signed with WWE because AEW wasn't a sure thing is a coward. Should have bet on their own success.

What a weird thing to say

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

I laughed. What a camera shot.

https://twitter.com/wrestlingleva/status/1350488641798361101?s=21

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Don't sign my posts

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Seriously, people around here have gotten so weird about choices wrestlers make with their own career lately. Are we really at the point that we're making GBS threads on wrestlers for taking the more financially stable route? Especially when so many in the industry have to wrestle well passed their shelf date just to pay the bills.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ganso Bomb posted:

I wish these three were in AEW so I could watch and enjoy their antics.

i say this as someone who essentially only watches aew these days: how many of the like, 15 minutes allotted for the women do you think they'd get?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

JT Smiley posted:

Seriously, people around here have gotten so weird about choices wrestlers make with their own career lately. Are we really at the point that we're making GBS threads on wrestlers for taking the more financially stable route? Especially when so many in the industry have to wrestle well passed their shelf date just to pay the bills.

Is WWE the more financially stable route? Seems to me like they fired a lot of people during a pandemic and for doing things in their free time

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

wwe was more stable than the mystery promotion. it seemed to be less stable in 2020. i've won all arguments

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

JT Smiley posted:

If you re-sign and then bitch about the conditions, it's open season. Maybe you can say Xavier didn't know they were gonna shut down his twitch stream but he's been there long enough to know how lovely and controlling the culture is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Is WWE the more financially stable route? Seems to me like they fired a lot of people during a pandemic and for doing things in their free time

Yes? That would probably still be more financially stable than a promotion that didn't really exist yet. Hell even now WWE is probably a more financially stable bet. AEW's doing well but they're still working against the tide of the business (and we have no idea what their finances look like). And WWE isn't gonna go anywhere any time soon. They might fire you but so might AEW so if your main interest is getting as much money quickly and with no major fear of a sudden company crash WWE is sill probably your best option.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

You must stop trying to get in your victories when it's already been decided

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

wwe was more stable than the mystery promotion. it seemed to be less stable in 2020. i've won all arguments

This guy’s a genius

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

STAC Goat posted:

Yes? That would probably still be more financially stable than a promotion that didn't really exist yet. Hell even now WWE is probably a more financially stable bet. AEW's doing well but they're still working against the tide of the business (and we have no idea what their finances look like). And WWE isn't gonna go anywhere any time soon. They might fire you but so might AEW so if your main interest is getting as much money quickly and with no major fear of a sudden company crash WWE is sill probably your best option.

Didn't AEW sign all of their early contracts to the Khans themselves rather than AEW to guarantee the contracts in case AEW failed?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Like more than half the legends they still trot out every 3 months went to the competition at some point so I'm not sure I even really understand what the risk of going somewhere else is long term

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Didn't AEW sign all of their early contracts to the Khans themselves rather than AEW to guarantee the contracts in case AEW failed?

I don't know but like that's still all paper and promises. The Khans have no history in the business. I'm sure most wrestlers haven't done extensive research into their business history. Businesses crash all the time, especially in the wrestling business. Contracts get broken. AEW looks rally good right now but its hard to know how stable any of that is. WWE for all its many, many flaws has been around a long time and employing a lot of people that time. They're ruthlessly cruel and have no problem loving with contracts or breaking them. But AEW is in many ways an article of hope and faith. Especially a year or two ago.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

legends aren't the same as the 30 y/o guy who turned wwe down as his first big break in america. the people who were 100% safe to still get a good offer if aew failed were already the EVPs who were safe no matter what

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

JT Smiley posted:

For me it's just looking at WWE and thinking 'Can people PLEASE stop letting Vince get away with doing whatever evil loving thing that occurs to his brain.'
You know, maybe it's not my place to put that burden on them. But I just can't care about that much right now.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

if you are ever interviewing with dave or having a long form conversation with him do not ever, ever mention numbers or make estimations, this is the trigger that activates the San Jose Steamroller

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I care about workers and hate how exploitive capitalism is and mostly express it by telling workers it's their fault they're getting exploited.