Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Bryan Avalrez should sue Bryan Alvarez for taking all of their money. I've gotten you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan makes 45 million dollars a year from Figure Four Weekly. Unfortunately he spends 47 million dollars a year on new microphones.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

So it turns out that I've been conflating Les Thatcher and Karl Stern as the same person. Specifically the person whose shows I never listen to.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I really like Karl but you kind of run out of material there after a while. He’s great but it gets repetitive. I generally read the notes and then decide whether or not I’m going to listen.

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017

collocation posted:

Was that on his most recent show? Was it at least entertaining? I'm guessing that he didn't rap, sadly.

Show before last when he announced he had COVID. It was really sad and then he started cutting promos on modern wrestling, which owned but he's also wrong about a lot of it because he hates cool moves.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The alchemy of who or who doesn't get promotion is probably a mix of "who is the friend who got them the gig" and "are they being paid." (But that's not a hard and fast rule; I had to pull teeth for F4W newsletter promotion a lot of the time I was there.) But I've always found it strange how Wrestling Weekly just kind of...exists as part of the site. Karl's show can feel disconnected from the rest of the site, but not to the degree that Wrestling Weekly does.

Some stuff is just a byproduct of Dave and Bryan being kind of flakey, and I don't even mean that as an insult. At one point I realized how little promotion the classic Observers got and proposed a deal where I'd sit with Dave once a month, record a ~15 minute segment for each issue reflecting on the major stories, and each could be appended onto that week's free show. Bryan was hesitant at first, but once I explained I wasn't prosing a new podcast, he was into it. Dave liked it, too. And then when it came time to schedule shows—I believe I already had access to the upcoming back issue release docs already—Dave did the "randomly stop replying to emails" thing that he does even to his oldest friends. Even though it was an hour a month that was specifically designed to make him money.

As for Mat Men and Denise Salcedo, I'm fairly certain that those shows are all part of a YouTube/Twitch play.

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Dave didn't even mention Les Thatcher's podcast on their website when he wrote about him having Covid in the Observer. I think he even credited another site with breaking the news.

HPJoker
Oct 30, 2017

Price Check posted:

Dave didn't even mention Les Thatcher's podcast on their website when he wrote about him having Covid in the Observer. I think he even credited another site with breaking the news.

That was after Les bitched on his show. But I'm not even sure if anyone even knew he had COVID before the show.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1350509773918126080

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

how Kafkaesque

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lol “aside from the pods that people are willing to pay for, there’s no market for paid pods”

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Lol “aside from the pods that people are willing to pay for, there’s no market for paid pods”

Seriously what a bizarre thing to say.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I'm about to go Bonanas on that goddamn Vampire

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Bryan makes 45 million dollars a year from Figure Four Weekly. Unfortunately he spends 47 million dollars a year on new microphones.

Food: $300
Data: $200
Mortgage: $950
Microphones: $8000
Utility: $250

Someone help me my podcast is dying

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

He probably also spend 8k on cameras and maybe that on lights so he needs to be finding an extra 16k a month to feed his habits.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Revolting slander, Bryan Alvarez would never stoop to using a cheap microphone that only cost 8k :mad:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Jerusalem posted:

Revolting slander, Bryan Alvarez would never stoop to using a cheap microphone that only cost 8k :mad:

He'd find a way to overpay for an $8k microphone

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He’d also manage to pay 50x the normal data charge by trying to upgrade to a 200 Mb/s plan and somehow ordering 200 1Mb/s plans, and then spend months yelling about his terrible internet speed

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

jesus WEP posted:

He’d also manage to pay 50x the normal data charge by trying to upgrade to a 200 Mb/s plan and somehow ordering 200 1Mb/s plans, and then spend months yelling about his terrible internet speed

Bro, listen i am sure hes a nice guy but hes just not good at real life things.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He'll never own a gold boat with that kind of financial decision making.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Jim Valley just posted he's finally home from the hospital/rehab centre.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yes Jim, and please don't let anything gently caress him over again :pray:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/JimValley/status/1350611843652354048?s=20

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

That's amazing

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

his cat is very unimpressed though

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Good for him, that seemed like a hellish battle

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dunno who that guy on the left is, but Jim is looking great.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/JJWilliamsWON/status/1350747593261854720

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

This week's Rudocast is live! We talked Impact Hard to Kill, AEW Dynamite, and previewed NJPW's New Beginning Shows. TRIPLE MAIN EVENT MASTER WATO BAY BAY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoOIDD0klQ4

Intro: (0:00)
Impact Hard to Kill: (2:03)
AEW Dynamite: (29:06)
NJPW New Beginning: (1:13:17)

Audio:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-rudos-podcast/id1468336480

https://open.spotify.com/show/2SqoJSz5Ans40LZIfwFrIg?si=AyQkpWCoSR6cVEY-ypXvhg

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/hardlaser-audio/rudos-podcast?refid=stpr

https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9ydWRvc3BvZGNhc3QubGlic3luLmNvbS9yc3

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I get the impression that Kafka meant that what's been successful has been specific brands/personalities/shows, as opposed to "look at us here with our wide array of exclusive podcasts across all sorts of different genres on our new paid subscription podcast service" like Apple is planning on doing. The success of F4WOnline, the Patreon for Chapo or whoever, etc. is not dispositive of that.

jesus WEP posted:

He did what now? Hasn't he had fiber to the home service for over a decade? I remember him calling his local ISP's fiber service "FiOS" back in the early F4WOnline days.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

davidbix posted:

He did what now? Hasn't he had fiber to the home service for over a decade? I remember him calling his local ISP's fiber service "FiOS" back in the early F4WOnline days.
It was a joke because he did similar with his phone lines

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

davidbix posted:

I get the impression that Kafka meant that what's been successful has been specific brands/personalities/shows, as opposed to "look at us here with our wide array of exclusive podcasts across all sorts of different genres on our new paid subscription podcast service" like Apple is planning on doing. The success of F4WOnline, the Patreon for Chapo or whoever, etc. is not dispositive of that.

For me it's just a weird statement because the nature of the way podcasts have grown is that the most succesful ones are already free and make so much money that there's no incentive for them risk making less money to become locked behind a paywall. So if you don't include the massively profitable podcasts that are free, and also don't include the podcasts that people are paying for already then...

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

it is the case that several podcasting networks that offer premium tiers have seen them go bust or otherwise not seen them succeed. The first example that springs to mind is Howl (where Colt Cabana had his second podcast). I'm not sure how Stitcher Premium is doing but I can't imagine it's doing that badly.

Plus networks like Maximum Fun that put everything online but offer voluntary memberships seem to be doing okay.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
It's so much based on what the audience of that show wants. Some podcasts have done excellent going mostly or completely premium, some shows people pour money into them despite getting very little.

Wrestling fans are already used to paying a premium so maybe that's why it works?

I dunno, there are shows that I happily give money to every month and never even listen to a second of their premium things, other shows that I've never really made the move to financially support even though their premium stuff sounds interesting to me, and shows I've quit because they put too much stuff behind premium.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
As much dread as i had for Craig doing AEW/NXT it was made up for by Craig being a non NXT watcher and having no loving clue what happened to the product leading to a several minute long discussion on what the gently caress is an Ever Rise.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A good team of nice lads.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lid posted:

As much dread as i had for Craig doing AEW/NXT it was made up for by Craig being a non NXT watcher and having no loving clue what happened to the product leading to a several minute long discussion on what the gently caress is an Ever Rise.

Bryan: If you watched every week maybe you'd know what is going on... I mean, we watch every week and WE don't know, but even so....

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Lid posted:

I forgot he was on the show until he made a Craig noise at 3:20.

Bryan took one for the team and was really stupid and obnoxious, so I didn't mind Craig.

forkboy84 posted:

A good team of nice lads.

Yeah, they instantly get people on board with fun promos, interaction, and goofy energy. Watching the rise of 3.0 to the promised land was fantastic.

Naturally they started as heels and are now bizarre tweeners, without ever cutting a fun promo showing off their chemistry and friendship. Other than like the online promos, including the fun Kevin Owens one.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
jon bois found granny's xmas present

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1351269188942356481?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

There’s a whole lot of money to be made grifting good christian folk with junk like that