Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Imagine, then, how ridiculous it is when I read Spanish fash wanking over the Empel miracle, in 1585.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Dawncloack posted:

Imagine, then, how ridiculous it is when I read Spanish fash wanking over the Empel miracle, in 1585.

I guess I could look it up but was that the last time Spain won a war (uh except for that time their opponent was also Spain)

E: was the peninsular war a Spanish victory?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Depends on whether or not you believe Joseph Bonaparte is the rightful King of Spain.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

VitalSigns posted:

I guess I could look it up but was that the last time Spain won a war (uh except for that time their opponent was also Spain)

Huéscar defeated Denmark in 1981.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

The winners of the peninsular war was the english and if you're feeling generous, south america. What an absolute shitshow.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Capitalist Megabrain Friedrich Merz definitely won't be the next chancellor in Germany as he lost the CDU leadership vote today. So it might be Bavarian King Söder instead.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Honj Steak posted:

Capitalist Megabrain Friedrich Merz definitely won't be the next chancellor in Germany as he lost the CDU leadership vote today. So it might be Bavarian King Söder instead.

Friedrich Merz? More like Friedrich Schmerz, ha ha

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Libluini posted:

Friedrich Merz? More like Friedrich Schmerz, ha ha
The people* didn't vote for pain

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

I do not think it is possible to explain Brexit without making it sound like one is embellishing it to make it sound stupid, while at the same time even trying to make it sound extra stupid does not come even close to how stupid it actually is.

My only hope is that the Brexit fuckup will try and shut down our local xenophobic separatists, but my hopes aren't exactly high.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
No comments on the Dutch government resigning?

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210115-dutch-government-collectively-resigns-over-childcare-subsidies-scandal

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

It doesn't change anything, those responsible for the systematic racism will be sheltered from any consequences, and the new elections will put the same assholes back in power to continue the dismantling of the country.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

They're resigning a couple months before the regularly scheduled election, so while the action is correct the sentiment behind doing it is rat-fucky. Them resigning isn't going to cost them votes.

Skiant
Mar 10, 2013

Until they take money out of their own pockets to repair for the damages done, it's basically theater.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

About the only thing it'll mean is that they get to start their new job in some "conservative" thinktank a bit earlier.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Nope, almost all of them are just getting re-elected directly, with some more of their friends too. The prime minister's party has more seats in the polls than it has currently, and their extremist friends are the second largest.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

The winners of the peninsular war was the english and if you're feeling generous, south america. What an absolute shitshow.

Portugal would probably like a word (Scotland etc too ofc)

Also Spain probably won some colonial stuff

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Gort posted:

Well, WW2 was Britain's last moment of military relevance, so of course British fascists are all about WW2.

I've given thought to this quite a bit and it's partly true but misses a lot of it. In terms of place in the national consciousness, VE and Memorial day basically has the same place as Bastille day in France or any of the major Indepence day celebrations in other countries. In the national narrative it marks a point of pride and success, a forging of the nation through a time of great peril that doesn't require considering Britain as a country of Empire any more. It allows all the patriotic poo poo and people to wave flags and feel good without, on side, thinking about the crimes of imperialism and, on the other, thinking about the loss of empire and status. It's weird because so many other nations were very much involved in WWII but you have to realise that you're not really looking at people remembering the war itself as much as the birth of a nation because they're all racists geddit?

Also on Brexit - I think Brexit being a UK domestic politics issue is pretty spot on. I think it's an exaggeration to say that our relationship with the EU is a totally imaginary element to it but ultimately it wasn't the motive force behind why anyone took action regarding it. I think there is a minority of voters who really did have feelings about the concept of the UK as a part of a loose European federation, in which case it wasn't the EU so much as the very concept of a European project that they rejected being small minded nationalists who still thought the UK was in the 50's and had some sort of global relevance. But none of the major leading figures of Brexit made decisions or took actions around rejecting the European project as a whole (save for a few ideologues like Jacob Rees Mogg for who it was probably a very nice plus on top of making a lot of money of the market instability it caused).

Nigel Farage opposed the EU to get himself attention and to create a political career for himself, Cameron call the referendum to appease Tory Eurosceptics, May signed the withdrawal agreement in an effort to quell internal party disputes, Johnson championed Brexit as a way of positioning himself for power with a faction outside the Tory mainstream, etc. Labour was largely irrelevant to Brexit because 1) it wasn't in government and 2) the Parliamentary party, as a legacy of Blair, was pro-EU and the voting base was very much split along urban/'rural' (covering the North, Wales and basically everywhere they had votes outside the major cities). MPs didn't want to really address the EU because they feared alienating voters and I think they honestly (and accurately) believed giving euroscepticism air time would only exacerbate an issue grounded in #fakenews. So Brexit as a project was driven by internal Tory party politics that in turn drove the domestic agenda.

Also the negative fallout from Brexit will be largely blamed on 1) EU retaliation and further mistreatment (let's not ask why it seems getting back all this sovereignty to avoid mistreatment by the EU has resulted in all this mistreatment) and 2) Covid. The impact of the Brexit is probably going to be sharpest over the first 2-6 months, at which point companies will have either adapted to and started to deal with increased costs/timelines or stopped activities that are simply impractical under the new regulations. In a year or two Brexiteers will be crowing about how things are so much better than just after Brexit and it was all fearmongering even as there are studies showing there's 1.5 million fewer jobs than we'd have expected if we were still in the EU.

I also think the only the UK is ever rejoining is another decade of stagflation or similar while EU countries are seeing steady economic growth. I imagine that rejoining will also require adopting the Euro and possibly joining Schengen (although if Ireland still doesn't want to that might not be a requirement considering Ireland and the UK would probably still have free travel). I can't imagine the EU ever accepting the UK back without making another Brexit near impossible.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

MrNemo posted:

I can't imagine the EU ever accepting the UK back without making another Brexit near impossible.

Ah, giving them the Scotland treatment in kind.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Mr. Nemo's was a good post. It was totally domestic stuff. And as someone who regrets having argued for brexit on fb, that's when I quit, because I realized post facto how my stri gs were being pulled.

I'd only quibble that EU nations seeing constant economic growth is anything but a given. The institutional structure is still poo poo, and even if it wasn't we all know what economic ideology permeates the EU institutions.

Plus the European Environmental Agency says economic growth is very undesirable.

(Trigger warning: doomsday economics)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3953960&pagenumber=50&perpage=40&userid=0#post511696999

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Only thing I'd say there is that is the only conditions under which I can see the UK rejoining the EU, one where citizens of EU countries are largely enjoying a rise or at least maintaining a reasonable quality of living with a positive outlook on their state. I guess I'm using economic growth as a shorthand for those countries seeing positive material conditions while the UK simultaneously experiences worse conditions. Things getting worse in the UK alone wouldn't be sufficient if media and political figures can point at the EU and say 'well everyone's miserable there too so it can't be Brexit' (yes but they're relatively less miserable than we are!). Comparisons to potential situations or things being bad would not be sufficient to get domestic support for rejoining.

At the same time the UK is never going to rejoin the EU as a strong partner because the EU is not going to agree to letting us back in with the same deal and no government for at least this generation is going to get support to rejoin with a 'worse' deal than the UK originally had without massive discontent at home. Merely sliding into global irrelevance and seeing less growth at home combined with growing economic disparities compared to the EU won't be enough by themselves. Honestly I think if there had been a 2nd referendum 2018 or so we'd have seen a mirror of the 2016 result (52%Remain 48%Leave) but we didn't do that and EU membership in the UK has a wide but shallow support base that just doesn't care as much. There's no scope for an anti-UKIP (which reminds me that UKIP still exists for some bizarre reason. I assume they are now going to push for the UK to leave the Commonwealth?)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Skiant posted:

Until they take money out of their own pockets to repair for the damages done, it's basically theater.

And meanwhile it turns out there's a bunch more cases of the government loving over the citizenry in very similar fashion *cough* Groningen *cough*.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
That's been going on for a while. Decolonize the Veenkoloniën!

Basically, when the government could not colonize overseas any more, they colonized their own poorer territories further away from the center of power, using similar strategies of wealth extraction to invest in the Holland region. It's still a bit of a mess up there as a result.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure this is Focault's Boomerang, and has been obviously happening to most of the formerly colonial Western world in late stage capitalism- see Brexit. Once they're no longer able to rob poorer countries of their resources for whatever reason, they turn on their own subjects and engage local kleptocracy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

gently caress 'em

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of people.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Entropist posted:

That's been going on for a while. Decolonize the Veenkoloniën!

Basically, when the government could not colonize overseas any more, they colonized their own poorer territories further away from the center of power, using similar strategies of wealth extraction to invest in the Holland region. It's still a bit of a mess up there as a result.

Not just up there, and not just after the overseas colonies afaik. Look up "wingewesten".

This poo poo hit most of the south of the country (Brabant & Limburg) as well. And echoes through in the way the closing of the coal mines in Limburg in the late 20th century was handled (lol you're all hosed now, good luck).

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 19, 2021

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
So uh, half a million people voted for a fascist in Portugal Sunday.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

7 times as many votes as last parliamentary elections

Seems like a problem.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

who would have guessed that being racist towards the Romani would give you votes in Europe

no one could have foreseen this

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Orange Devil posted:

7 times as many votes as last parliamentary elections

Seems like a problem.

If the parliamentary elections are soon it will really bad. We kick a fascist out of the white house here and my former home country embraces fascists after seeing the examples of the US/Uk or worse, Hungary and Poland.

It is scary as Azores already has a coalition government with Chega, and Madeira has a trump lite as regional governor so he would gladly go in coalition with them.

Can someone that lives in Portugal tell me what the hell is going on for them to get so popular? I don't want to ask my family and freak them out

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Portugal has probably some of the worst politicians in Europe, politics is used only as an economical escalator, there's still a lot of lingering racism, it's basically a bunch of reactionaries and racists that think a vote for Chega is anti-system, when Ventura is in fact very very much the system. Media is doing all the same mistakes as everywhere else, focusing the entire discussion on him because it sells. Basically everything that happened everywhere else. He's never getting any real power though. The country would much rather keep with the lovely PS instead of going for the much much shittier PSD+Chega. I think they've peaked (might eat these words later).

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the autoarquicas(regionals??) will be a cleanup, CH was the second most voted in most regions and in 2023 a PSD+IL+CH scenario is becoming very real

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

They had nearly a year to fix the problem they caused themselves and instead they handed in their entirely symbolical resignations, after which they still have not begun the process of fixing the problem they caused.

These same people will all become part of the ruling coalition come April. :smith:

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Honest Thief posted:

the autoarquicas(regionals??) will be a cleanup, CH was the second most voted in most regions and in 2023 a PSD+IL+CH scenario is becoming very real

Marcelo won all the regions, and in most parts by 60-70% of the vote.

Many councils are going to have PSD+Chega arrangements though. Wouldn't be surprise to see a lot of them in the Algarve.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Autarquicas are very very focused on the personas, not the parties, and power is very entrenched in most of them. I don't believe we'll see those many coalitions - the left will push against that as much as possible, anyway.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
unless the left can muster some new kind of response against media propped up fascism i dont think it can move the needle on the vast majority of non voters, because the voting mass seems same old as usual, apart from CH getting some of disgruntled vote it cannibalised PSD, CDS
although it was a pandemic year, so who knows how that plays out

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

https://24.sapo.pt/atualidade/artigos/ventura-foi-buscar-votos-ao-pcp-no-alentejo-as-presidenciais-em-dois-graficos-e-um-mapa

The relevant bit, translated by me.

quote:

The thesis of vote transfer from Communist Party to Chega in the Alentejo does not appear to be true. The Alentejo councils where André Ventura found more support are those that in the last decade voted less for the Communist Party. It also does not appear that Chega is going to replace the two traditional parties from the right, not having great results in the North and Center more traditional Right.

The Alentejo part confirms.

https://twitter.com/danielolivalx/status/1353471015767203841?s=20

PCP results in that region are the same as 5 years ago. Take that for what it's worth. This might sound surprising but Communists are voting for the Communist Party.

What I disagree with the article above is that Chega is very much siphoning votes from PSD and CDS. CDS seems mostly finished, nobody is talking about them cause they were with Marcelo, but that is the relevant part. Nobody is talking about CDS. Dead party.

A lot of right wing votes in Portugal are going through their own Chud awakening like Republican votes did for Trump. Big problem is that Rui Rio, the leader of PSD, is not aware of this and is huffing his and Ventura's farts about the possibility of Communists voters voting for a right wing candidate of any kind.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Electronico6 posted:

A lot of right wing votes in Portugal are going through their own Chud awakening like Republican votes did for Trump. Big problem is that Rui Rio, the leader of PSD, is not aware of this and is huffing his and Ventura's farts about the possibility of Communists voters voting for a right wing candidate of any kind.
i dont think its so much ignorance as complicity, Rio is trash who thinks he can herd his little catholic fascist

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

You'r e probably not wrong. I never got the impression that he likes or wants Ventura around. Rio always built his image and career as being his own man, not owned or wanting to share power with anybody. His entire mayor run of Porto was built on fighting the city football club, because Porto is Pinto da Costa, and Rio just wouldn't have it. If Rio sticks around for 5 years(doubtful but you never know) I'm not even sure he'll back Marques Mendes for the Presidency, because that's a guy on Rio's poo poo list.

The rest of the PSD however? A lot Hidenburgs and von Papens there for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

We'll have to wait for the election post mortem, but I think ventura basically did what they already had done in the legislative elections, activate the reactionary vote, the suburban petty tyrants and basically eat cds alive.
There are suburbs in evora and beja too.