Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
get a goruck backpack and some lovely sunglasses to complete the look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

11 pound Boston butt that’s going to be some drat good eating for dinner tomorrow.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

E. Also, yes, I know it’s actually the shoulder

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Early 1935 Olympia Simplex, a German typewriter with Spanish keys (has the ñ), which seems to be a not so-common find as the civil war (36-39) and latter autarchic regime kinda put a stop to importation here. Came on a broken wooden case, covered in grease and dust and missing half of the black paint and decals. On the other hand it had no missing pieces and it worked right out of the box (dead tape notwithstanding). From the well-worn, plastic replacement tape it had installed, I think this thing was in heavy duty use up until the 70s at the very least.

Since it was not a particularly expensive or valuable typewriter (25€ plus shipping), I did somewhat of a manual restauration. I took the metal casing out, cleaned the machinery (which had decades of crap caked into the grease), removed as much rust and I could from the casing and repainted it with rust-stopping paint. I also filled a hole near the left hand rest that had corroded into two sharp metal bits. The decals were repainted by hand using what little was left of them as guidelines, then added a thin cape of varnish coating to prevent further decay. The result may not be professional, but it at least looks a bit like it used to do :shobon:. And it writes!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Very cool! Great work on the restoration, that looks really nice!

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I just bought a macbook pro. The very macbook pro I'm typing this on! 13 inch, M1, 8gb, and a 512gb ssd.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

M1, 8gb, and a 512gb ssd.

M1? M1? you have no idea what you're getting. Does it even have MMX or cache? What's the cache situation on that thing? I'll wait until they're at least up to M3.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

I just bought a macbook pro. The very macbook pro I'm typing this on! 13 inch, M1, 8gb, and a 512gb ssd.

Nice. Got my wife the new air and it's great.

mystes
May 31, 2006

colas posted:

M1? M1? you have no idea what you're getting. Does it even have MMX or cache? What's the cache situation on that thing? I'll wait until they're at least up to M3.
Is this a cyrix joke or something? Who can even remember that poo poo in 2021.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

mystes posted:

Is this a cyrix joke or something? Who can even remember that poo poo in 2021.

If that's the case, that's a deep enough cut to count as a grievous wound.

Bottom Liner posted:

get a goruck backpack and some lovely sunglasses to complete the look

Tacticool I am not, but these backpacks own. I've carted mine around to and across America and Asia and it holds up great. Very excited to put more gay poo poo on mine.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I picked up an Empress Effects Zoia - one popped up used and after some research I sent him an offer and he accepted and I'm never looking back. It's exactly what I was looking for as my first / only effects pedal. It's kind of like a modular synth / DSP in a box, and instead of having this chain of synths or effects I can just plop what I want into its grid and go. Practically limitless possibilities since you can tweak just about any parameter.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

NewFatMike posted:

If that's the case, that's a deep enough cut to count as a grievous wound.

Tacticool I am not, but these backpacks own. I've carted mine around to and across America and Asia and it holds up great. Very excited to put more gay poo poo on mine.

I'm not sure it qualifies as "gay" but https://www.etsy.com/listing/511240203/neon-80s-rainbow-zebra-iron-on.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I got a book about the Minamata environmental disaster, second hand library book, but first edition hardcover. It's haunting.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

McCracAttack posted:

Whyyyy did I wait so long to buy a space heater for my drafty home office? These are way nicer than the red hot electric grills that passed for space heaters when I was a kid.

Gotta say the older one looks way cooler.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Gotta say the older one looks way cooler.

That might be part of the problem! :dadjoke:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

:krad:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I bought a patch:

I have no idea where to use said patch.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

https://www.etsy.com/listing/265670504/

My GoRuck patch of choice. Mostly for comedic effect. Mostly.

Hell yeah, such a weird and awesome pedal.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

My favorite patch is the Ritual Coffee logo because it confuses people

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

went and got groceries TOUGH, stubbed my toe and didn't cry TOUGH, drove in my built Ford tough truck TOUGH

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I have a goruck bag and its a sturdy bag but drat I wish I was aware of how loving stupid their brand/culture is because now I just want to sell the dumb thing so people don't think I'm like that.

their whole schtick is playing army man and having a trainer yell at you and throw poo poo in your face for hours to prove how tough you are (and paying hundreds of dollars for it). It's the most extra display of machismo faux-patriotism bullshit

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

If they were real manly men they would volunteer to reseed that turf, tell you what.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's gross! Definitely gotta gay it up. Shame that it's such a sturdy bag.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

I have a goruck bag and its a sturdy bag but drat I wish I was aware of how loving stupid their brand/culture is because now I just want to sell the dumb thing so people don't think I'm like that.

their whole schtick is playing army man and having a trainer yell at you and throw poo poo in your face for hours to prove how tough you are (and paying hundreds of dollars for it). It's the most extra display of machismo faux-patriotism bullshit

As usual its a good idea and concept that got taken over by it's own culture, went so far up it's own rear end it turned inside out and well, here we are today

Basically the Crossfit of backpacking

Content:

Bike part

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Blue On Blue posted:

As usual its a good idea and concept that got taken over by it's own culture, went so far up it's own rear end it turned inside out and well, here we are today

Content:

Bike part

What caliber did you get that cassette in?

Bet it’s going to sound awesome in your cassette player

ok I’m done

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Blue On Blue posted:

Content:

Bike part

This is definitely a gun part.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I mean, I was going to post a poor joke about gun/bike part but... I'll leave that up to you folks!

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Mu Zeta posted:

Are these patches you get for completing Goruck backpack exercise camps or something? Do you put them on your backpack?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bruxism posted:

Are these patches you get for completing Goruck backpack exercise camps or something? Do you put them on your backpack?

Yes see above

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Bottom Liner posted:

Fellow in our neighborhood was big on that for a while last year. Iirc he just had a jansport or something and tossed plates in there. You could always just take off the patches/branding on the bag if you already own one of theirs.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Trabant posted:

I bought a patch:

I have no idea where to use said patch.

I also bought a bunch of patches that are cool and neat for a motorcycle jacket, but I don’t know how to arrange them because all of these dang Instagram patch and pin companies make 90% of their patches round and not square or rectangular and a bunch of circles don’t align well with each other and it bothers me so they just sit in a drawer now.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

T-Square posted:

I also bought a bunch of patches that are cool and neat for a motorcycle jacket, but I don’t know how to arrange them because all of these dang Instagram patch and pin companies make 90% of their patches round and not square or rectangular and a bunch of circles don’t align well with each other and it bothers me so they just sit in a drawer now.

Someone clearly was never a boy scout

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I was a boy scout for a bit and it always bothered me that merit badges weren't placed in a hex grid pattern.

Such inefficient use of space.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I was a boy scout for a bit and it always bothered me that merit badges weren't placed in a hex grid pattern.

Such inefficient use of space.

Yeah hex grid sounds like the way to go.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Bottom Liner posted:

Goruck is the weirdest thing. If you want good bags might I recommend mystery ranch or something like that. Its what we bought to do actual army man things in harsh places.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Mission Workshop makes stellar bags and doesn't have a weird culture around it, as far as I know.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Mission workshop bags are really expensive and styles for messenger bikers etc. Nothing wrong with that but last I looked they were awful for hiking or camping. Well awful is a strong word. Not designed for.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Mission workshop bags are really expensive and styles for messenger bikers etc. Nothing wrong with that but last I looked they were awful for hiking or camping. Well awful is a strong word. Not designed for.

No one suggested them for hiking or camping, but they're killer everyday bags and the best quality bags you can get for less than $100. I got their medium messenger about 10 years ago and while I don't wear it on one shoulder because it's too big/heavy when loaded, it makes a great travel duffel and is still practically new after a lot of abuse. Like Timbuk2 but better materials and construction.