Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey Robert, I like you reading it out loud and all, but I don't think I'd be alone in buying and reading your novel. Is there a way to? If not, you should change that. Let me give you my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

rotinaj posted:

Hey Robert, I like you reading it out loud and all, but I don't think I'd be alone in buying and reading your novel. Is there a way to? If not, you should change that. Let me give you my money.

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1349925760211931138?s=20

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I still like buying books. Even if the proceeds would then be donated to said charity.

I like books. It will be cool to read this when it gets dropped.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Yeah gently caress it the gross imperialistic poo poo is too much for me, unsuscribed.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah gently caress it the gross imperialistic poo poo is too much for me, unsuscribed.

What did Robert say that set you off

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

rotinaj posted:

What did Robert say that set you off

It's not one thing in particular, it's going over the really bad episodes on Syria/Korea/etc., the dumb opinions on South America, realizing that all the episodes are about non-whtie dictators or right-wing grifters and you haven't seen a single episode about the Jakarta Method or the Dulles Brothers or things like that, etc.

Also the Bellingcat conenction.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Lol if you're mad at Bellingcat

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Robert is an imperialist?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Firstscion posted:

Robert is an imperialist?

tankies are v dumb, just ignore 'em

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Robert expresses pro-intervention foreign policy ideas from time to time and some people view that as imperialist.

It’s an easy discussion to get into. On the one hand *gestures at the history of US Imperialism* but on the other hand sometimes we have the opportunity and the ability to save the lives of innocent people and I am thankful everyday I don’t ever have to make those kinds of decisions.

In general I think we should spend all our time and money on fixing the US and let the EU be the world police for a while but I really don’t think we’ll ever be in a position to do that, Biden seems like kind of a Warhawk TBH

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

we talk about Dulles in the third episode about the Congo

I'm not sure how the two episodes about the School of the Americas and all the horrific crimes we committed in Latin America are imperialist, but go off I guess

Most of our bastards have been white dudes. We've spent vastly more time talking about majority white fascists and right-wing extremists on our show than anything else. But if you're mostly angry because I said Bashar al-Assad is a monster who deserves to die in agony, then go gently caress yourself I guess. Travel to Syria. Talk to hundred and hundreds of victims of his regime. That's what I did.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

GunFondler42069 posted:

we talk about Dulles in the third episode about the Congo

I'm not sure how the two episodes about the School of the Americas and all the horrific crimes we committed in Latin America are imperialist, but go off I guess

Most of our bastards have been white dudes. We've spent vastly more time talking about majority white fascists and right-wing extremists on our show than anything else. But if you're mostly angry because I said Bashar al-Assad is a monster who deserves to die in agony, then go gently caress yourself I guess. Travel to Syria. Talk to hundred and hundreds of victims of his regime. That's what I did.

Lol your entire North Korea episode has no information on the country or the people in it and is extremely racist.

I was actually being kind when not going into details.

Edit: This is extremely evident when comparing with, say, the Bill Cosby episode, which actually does have info and research.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 17, 2021

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

Nah. And, again, I'm going to guess I'm the only one of us who has talked to North Koreans.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I had a few North Korean refugee friends when I lived in South Korea. North Korea defenders are a special kind of scumbag. I think I hate them more than any other type of tankie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm not a tankie, I'm sure North Korea is a horrible dictatorship, the episode was still extremely racist and had no real information on the country or the people or the Kim family.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm not a tankie, I'm sure North Korea is a horrible dictatorship, the episode was still extremely racist and had no real information on the country or the people or the Kim family.

ok sure, whatever. whats your take then.

GunFondler42069
Jan 28, 2020

it's racist to talk about dictators without giving a complete history of Korea, got it.

i apologize for the terrible racism in talking about Hitler without fully explaining the Holy Roman Empire, the Unification of Germany and the career of Otto Von Bismarck.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

GunFondler42069 posted:

it's racist to talk about dictators without giving a complete history of Korea, got it.

i apologize for the terrible racism in talking about Hitler without fully explaining the Holy Roman Empire, the Unification of Germany and the career of Otto Von Bismarck.

Finally some healing in Biden's America.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Well, it's pretty important when talking about a dictator to talk about how he maintains power and how he runs the country, instead of just repeating a bunch of stories about how gullible the North Korean people are to think he was really born of a volcano.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, it's pretty important when talking about a dictator to talk about how he maintains power and how he runs the country, instead of just repeating a bunch of stories about how gullible the North Korean people are to think he was really born of a volcano.

Edit - Never mind...

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

MonsieurChoc posted:

are we supposed to talk about the cult of personality surrounding the kim family without mentioning that and having a chuckle? i'm p sure we mostly figure the folks that believe that propaganda literally within the country are extremely limited in number.

e: removed a word that gave my sentence the opposite meaning :eng99:

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 17, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

GunFondler42069 posted:

that just makes me want to hear an episode about bismarck. i mean i know you already covered him in king "show me your hand mummy" willie 2 but bismarck is a fascinating bastard.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mr. Fix It posted:

are we supposed to talk about the cult of personality surrounding the kim family without mentioning that and having a chuckle? i'm p sure we mostly figure the folks that believe that propaganda literally within the country are not extremely limited in number.

nah, you have to talk about it with reverence or else some tankie might cry about how you are besmirching the kim family and juche though and how doing that would make you an evil imperialist racist or some poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 17, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

nah, you have to talk about it with reverence or else some tankie might cry because some talk cast man and friends were besmirching Juche thought.

I feel like acknowledging the humanity of the people living under a dictator's regime is important, but go off king I guess.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I feel like acknowledging the humanity of the people living under a dictator's regime is important, but go off king I guess.

he does though. making fun of hosed up state propaganda is fine.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i suppose it's possible that robert's overflowing sympathy for the victims of authoritarianism and totalitarianism doesn't come across as clearly in that episode, but lol if you listen to more than that episode and presume he's making fun of the people.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
Hey everyone! I'm an anarchist who loves NATO and doing regime changes in other countries. How's everyone doing?

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Marijuana posted:

Hey everyone! I'm an anarchist who loves NATO and doing regime changes in other countries. How's everyone doing?

I know that when I care about the well-being of a country's population, I call upon the Trump administration to take action to protect them

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Airconswitch posted:

I know that when I care about the well-being of a country's population, I call upon the Trump administration to take action to protect them

I'm a really big fan of It Could Happen Here.

Question: In a hypothetical US Civil War 2.0, what country would be the one who sanctions and bombs the federal government while also funding rebels and religious/racist extremists like America did in Syria?

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
No guys we just need a no-fly-zone it's a different strain bro I promise

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Oh cool, insufferable shitposting.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Pull up thread, go debate and discuss or consensually spam elsewhere

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

apatheticman posted:

Oh cool, insufferable shitposting.

Yeah, this sucks.

Hey dudes, can you just go back to CSPAM or D&D or whatever please?

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

Mr. Fix It posted:

i suppose it's possible that robert's overflowing sympathy for the victims of authoritarianism and totalitarianism doesn't come across as clearly in that episode, but lol if you listen to more than that episode and presume he's making fun of the people.

"overflowing sympathy":

https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1194094729962672128?s=19
https://twitter.com/IwriteOK/status/1194095767255965696?s=19

do you not find it strange that he thinks trump tried to coup on 6/1 but when the same president orders the same thing done to the democratically elected government of bolivia, and his CIA goons sponsor nazi gangs to lynch indigenous women, it's suddenly a very nuanced situation and we can't possibly draw any conclusions? i enjoy some of his work but i'm confused how he squares this circle. i'm just genuinely trying to parse the thinking and try to find what the politics are here.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jan 17, 2021

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

teen witch posted:

Pull up thread, go debate and discuss or consensually spam elsewhere

Robert Evans is a dangerous propagandist. I think fans like you should look critically at the things he says and, especially, the people he works for and the interests they serve.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

No but you see, you're a tankie if you suggest that our military interventions have not been motivated by love of freedom and human rights, and that places like Iraq and Afghanistan aren't wonderlands of democracy and stability. Oh wait, no, I'm just a Western leftist, I cannot possibly understand.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Oh poo poo you got me, I'm won over by your shitposting and being told to stop and continuing anyways.

Good job guys, who do we go after next?

I'm admitting I don't want to engage with your bullshit that is all.. but in the spirit of moving on I'll shut the gently caress up forever.

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 17, 2021

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

apatheticman posted:

Oh poo poo you got me, I'm won over by your shitposting and being told to stop and continuing anyways.

Good job guys, who do we go after next?

At least you're admitting that you don't have a response to valid criticism and that you just want to stan a podcaster.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Bored As gently caress posted:

Yeah, this sucks.

Hey dudes, can you just go back to CSPAM or D&D or whatever please?

It’s too late for that and you know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

Can we get to the real reason Robert is a bastard, that he only released the first chapter of his book and I really want the rest of it.