Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Battlefront 2 went free on the Epic store today. As someone who has played pretty consistently since launch I was really looking forwards to all the fresh blood.

The only issue is the game is currently having an event where reinforcements (Like a B2 Battle Droid or a Death Trooper) are 100 battle points instead of 2,000 and I think they also removed the unit limit.

It’s still fun to play against these guys, but it’s kinda lame when you have to face an entire team of people spamming these units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I'm enjoying AI:The Somium Files except for the actual dream world parts. I know part of the deal is "it's a dream world and some things don't really make sense" but the puzzle solutions are just obtuse enough to be annoying sense of trial and error at times. Plus having to deal with a time limit on top of it juts kinda puts on a damper on things when funny dialog/reactions happening from trying things randomly is kind of half the fun. But if you do those things the game usually slaps you with a really heavy penalty of the next action taking 2 or 3 times as much time away when you only have 6 minutes.

I know if the time limit wasn't there you'd just kinda try every option until something worked but isn't that like basically every part of a Visual Novel anyway? You just kinda sit on a scene until you've done everything at your pace and then you can move on.

Oh also with the Switch port in particular, it seems like the game will just kinda stop and load images of characters/videos of previous events for emphasis or a flashback. Just to make sure you never forget anything i suppose. But sometimes it will stop and load these things for a long time if you happen to skip through the dialog too fast in places. ALways makes me think the game crashed or soft locked

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
In AI the dream sequences started to get really hard for some reason until really late when I figured out that I wasn't actually applying the time bonuses I got, since I was just selecting them and not actually hitting confirm on them. Lucky that it didn't take until it was literally impossible to do it without them for me to figure that out. But yeah, other than myself failing to understand the tutorial, the load times on the picture-in-picture things really ground some parts of the story to a halt.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!
People talk a lot about how the original red faction had destructible terrain. Not so much about how 90% of the game is playing railgun tag in indestructible corridors, labs, and bases. Sometimes to break up the monotony, you talk to another rebel who runs forward and gets killed instantly.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

muscles like this! posted:

Reminds me of the piano puzzle in Silent Hill 1 that I have never understood and just looked up the solution every time.

I watched someone stream Silent Hill 3 and the keypad puzzle on the hardest difficulty is just amazing. Here have a wiki entry* that documents the solutions for all 3 difficulties and read how that puzzle spirals into insanity: https://silenthill.fandom.com/wiki/Brookhaven_Keypad

The idea of the keypad representing a face is okay, but the way they did it is just baffling.

*may contain circumcisions

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:14 on Jan 15, 2021

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

The idea of the keypad representing a face is okay, but the way they did it is just baffling.

yeah why are the ears higher than the eyes?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean have you seen Silent Hill creatures

just saying, thank your lucky stars it's got either

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
IIRC, the Silent Hill puzzle someone brought up had bloody fingerprints on the keys of the piano as a clue. That's how I seem to remember solving it anyway since I played it before the internet and also can't play music.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Tunicate posted:

yeah why are the ears higher than the eyes?

They aren't? According to that article the eyes are 1/3, the ears are 4/6, and the cheeks are 7/9.

That leads into what actually annoys me about it. One of the clues is about eating tears, but instead of the answer being the eye it's below the eye. So the answer should be the cheek, but it's actually the ear, since it's below the eye on the keypad even though it isn't below the eye on a face.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Was Silent Hill 3 the one that also had a puzzle that required intimate knowledge of the works of Shakespeare?

Edit, lol yeah. Spoilers for an ancient game I guess:

Silent Hill 3 posted:

"In here is a tragedy---
art thou player or audience?
Be as it may, the end doth remain:
all go on only toward death.

The first words at thy left hand:
a false lunacy, a madly dancing man.
Hearing unhearable words, drawn
to a beloved's grave---and there,
mayhap, true madness at last.

As did this one, playing at death,
find true death at the last.
Killing a nameless lover, she
pierced a heart rent by sorrow.

Doth lie invite truth?
Doth verity but wear the
mask of falsehood?
Ah, thou pitiful, thou
miserable ones!

Still amidst lies, though the end cometh not,
wherefore yearn for death?
Wilt thou attend to thy beloved?
Truth and lies, life and death:
a game of turning white to black
and black to white.

Is not a silence brimming with
love more precious than flattery?
A peaceful slumber preferred to
a throne besmirched with blood?

One vengeful man
spilled blood for two;
Two youths shed tears for three;
Three witches disappeared thusly;
And only the four keys remain.

Ah, but verily...
In here is a tragedy---
art thou player or audience?
There is nothing which cannot
become a puppet of fate or an
onlooker, peering into the cage."

----

The above memo, which describes the puzzle, is located by the locked door. Read it carefully and then examine all the anthology books in the inventory and note their anthology number. All of these Shakespeare books are tragedies, which is the theme of this puzzle.

Romeo and Juliet: Anthology 1

King Lear: Anthology 2

Macbeth: Anthology 3

Hamlet: Anthology 4

Othello: Anthology 5

The first and final verses are just an introduction and conclusion to the poem. They don't have any significance so pretend they don't exist. Imagine the 1st verse is actually the one that begins with "The first words at thy left hand", which implies that the books must be arranged from left to right.

Fortunately, this puzzle also gives some room for error if the player mixes the last three anthologies - as long as the final code is 8352. No matter what though, Hamlet and Romeo and Juliet MUST be interpreted as Anthology 4 and Anthology 1, respectively.

The 1st verse is Hamlet, which is Anthology 4.

"A false lunacy" describes how Hamlet feigned his madness. The "unhearable words" are those of Hamlet's deceased father, the ghost. Hamlet's "beloved" is Ophelia, and at her funeral, a fight occurred between Hamlet and Laertes.

The 2nd verse is Romeo and Juliet, which is Anthology 1.

"Playing at death" refers to how Juliet faked her death by using the sleeping potion. The "nameless lover" is Romeo, in reference to the "What's in a name?" passage. Juliet is heartbroken by Romeo's death, and she suicides by piercing her heart with a dagger.

The 3rd verse is Macbeth, which is Anthology 3.

This verse is the vaguest, but the theme of lies and truth is most prominent in Macbeth. The book deals with the moral ambiguity of Macbeth seizing the throne through lies and deception.

Due to the room for error, depending on the conditions, the player may also interpret it as Othello (Iago's lies could be seen as "inviting truth", and Desdemona could be seen as wearing a mask of falsehood due to Iago's lies and accusations against her), but it can NOT be interpreted as King Lear.

The 4th verse is Othello, which is Anthology 5.

This verse also speaks of truths and lies, referencing Iago's lie about Desdemona's adultery, but the last two lines are an important hint. Othello is also the name of a board game where players can capture each other's pieces, changing their color from white to black and vice versa. Also, "black" and "white" is mentioned and Othello and Desdemona are of black and white ethnicity, respectively.

Due to the room for error, depending on the conditions, the player may also interpret it as Macbeth or King Lear.

The 5th verse is King Lear, which is Anthology 2.

It refers to Lear's daughter Cordelia, who loves her father the most, but isn't vocal about it, letting her actions speak instead. Her two sisters offer false flattery to Lear, while actually they're only after his throne.

Due to the room for error, depending on the conditions, the player may also interpret it as Macbeth (the flattery would relate to Lady Macbeth's flattery of Macbeth, and the "throne besmirched with blood" would refer to King Duncan's murder by Macbeth), but it can NOT be interpreted as Othello.

From left to right, with all the books in proper order, the code appears to be 4-1-3-5-2.

Bogmonster has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Jan 15, 2021

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
In The Ocarina of Time (at least in the Nintendo 64 version and I want to say also the re-release and Master Quest versions on the Gamecube,) there's a weird annoyance that might even be too tiny and obscure for the thread, and I might be the only one in the world annoyed by it.

At the start, like most (all?) Zelda games, you enter your name.

Throughout the game, any in-game dialogue box reflects this correctly, people will say,

"Oh, hi DrBouvenstein, nice to see you!"

Until the end...when you finally beat Ganon, and he gets locked in the spirit realm or whatever it's called, his dialogue changes to all caps like someone yelling on the internet. Except for your name...for some reason, that does not changed to all caps, so it looks bad, like:

"I CURSE YOU, ZELDA!
I CURSE YOU, SAGES!
BUT MOST OF ALL...I CURSE YOU...
DrBouvenstein!!!"

Very out of place and dumb I I've always hated it.

The other option is you name your character in all caps, but then every other dialogue box with you name is wrong until the end.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DrBouvenstein posted:

a weird annoyance that might even be too tiny and obscure for the thread, and I might be the only one in the world annoyed by it.

I'm with you, I've been annoyed by that since my first Zelda game, Link's Awakening. Like, I'm pretty sure even the OG Gameboy was powerful enough to capitalize five players, but :effort: I guess.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Bogmonster posted:

Was Silent Hill 3 the one that also had a puzzle that required intimate knowledge of the works of Shakespeare?

Edit, lol yeah. Spoilers for an ancient game I guess:

IiRC not just a puzzle. This is the first puzzle. In the beginning area.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Isn't that just if you put the puzzle difficulty on hard?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RE3make went in the opposite direction and only had two puzzles. At least throw a Tower of Hanoi in there.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Wrapped up Fable Anniversary and hopped on over to Fable 3.

1: The game's ui and text scales up to 4k properly for the most part, except for the icons in-world. They're like 1/3rd intended size because they're not scaled at all. So small they're not really legible asid from colour.
2: Terrible, horrid motion blur and weird hacked together outline-based bloom system. (But I think I found the correct settings to tweak in the configs file.)

But the primary design direction of the game just frustrates me so much.
It's so aggressive in trying to streamline and simplify the ui and controls as much as possible, while also making as many mechanics and menus 'ingame/inworld/' as possible.
It's an admirable goal, but the issue is that by forcing everything to work by this wonky ruleset and presentation, it's all really dragged down.
The way the game shows off clothings on mannequins both in stores and in your 'inventory'/sanctuary/wardrobe is very nice, but it's a terrible way to browse or handle any other items in the game.

Also, the world map keeps track of how many silver/gold keys, and how many gnomes are in each zone. But not silver key chests/gold doors. Which is an annoying double standard. If you're going to be helpful and keep track of these things for me, don't just stop halfway. At the very least keep track of chests I've found, but can't open yet.
(For anyone unfamiliar with Fable, Silver Key chests demand that you've found X silver keys, very often this means that you'll have to return to them later in the game, and usually contain neat goodies. The keys don't get used up, you just need enough of them, so they function as a system to reward dilligent players that explore and find stuff.)
(Also for whatever reason the silver (and gold) keys are just these giant shining things hovering around in the game world, instead of being just an item you get from chests, fishing pools, minigames, etc. )

e: Also I really dislike the 'befriend a bum by throwing cash at him so that you can unlock the ability to be a landlord' mechanic the game has.
I miss the experience system from 1.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outside of Unlimited Saga (You roll a roullette-wheel to level-up) and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (You get stronger in one aspect while enemies get stronger every aspect), what games have the worst character-progression system?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Outside of Unlimited Saga (You roll a roullette-wheel to level-up) and Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (You get stronger in one aspect while enemies get stronger every aspect), what games have the worst character-progression system?

FF8 is easier if you avoid levelling up and just abuse/utilise the Junction system to its full extent.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Aren’t the level ups in some Fire Emblems totally random? I seem to recall a friend complaining because he got three level ups in a row that only increased one stat.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

At least throw a Tower of Hanoi in there.

I would be in here complaining about it if they did.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They're were weighted growths per stat per character. So a knight might have a 70% chance to gain a strength every level, but only a 20% chance to get speed.

The growths have gotten really over inflated in the modern games and sort of hosed the game balance.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

They're were weighted growths per stat per character. So a knight might have a 70% chance to gain a strength every level, but only a 20% chance to get speed.

The growths have gotten really over inflated in the modern games and sort of hosed the game balance.

I'm curious, do the growth weights use the same 'feelgood' RNG that later titles of Fire Emblem uses in attacks and the like?

ie: 90% to hit for you isn't 90%, it's more like 99% chance to hit. Weighting the RNG to make it seem more 'correct', because humans are really bad at statistics.
As I recall there's a pretty notable difference in difficulty between the older FE titles that used direct and accurate RNG vs the newer titles that use the adjusted one, because it feels better to play for players.
( As it notably reduces the :xcom: feeling. People have a tendency to be upset when a 90% to hit attack doesn't actually hit. Or a 10% to -get- hit actually hits you. )

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Final Fantasy 2 leveled stats as you used them, which sounds good in theory. Hit more things -> Strength increases. Cast spells -> Magic increases. You get better at a weapon class by using it a lot. So far so good.

However, it breaks apart in two equal-but-opposite ways for other stats:

Health and Mana points also rise as you "use" them, which for health means getting hit. That lead to a meme where people claim the game is optimally played by hitting yourself in the face over and over, which is dumb, it's not optimal at all. What would be optimal is getting hit for a lot of damage at once, because you only gain more health if you lose a significant percentage in a battle. This means it's easy to increase it at the start because, say, 3 damage a monster deals is comparatively a lot out of 20 HP, but later on, 30 damage is not a lot if you have 1000 health already. Otoh, getting hit at the start is rarely dangerous, but later you'll get hit with mega damage AND a lot of status effects, and the dungeons are longer, and so on. And for mana, it's even worse: your MP similarly only rise if you use a lot of them in a battle at once, so you kind of have to overextend early, and if you just play normally, you'll always be out, as on the fly restoring is at a super premium. Even healing MP in town costs mega money. Conversely, it feels terrible if you do spend a third of your MP in a battle and still don't get an increase because there's always some randomness involved.
In both cases, as your maximum increases, it gets harder and harder to get the absolute values down enough to increase the maximum further.

And the opposite: dodge chance (or rather, the Agility stat) only increases if you dodge. Which means it's ludicrously hard to increase it at the start of the game because, well, you don't have much Agility, and it's totally random of course. It is vitally important, however, to have a high Agility because otherwise enemies will utterly wipe the floor with you later on, as they have multi-hit attacks where each can drain a percentage of your max life, and if it's like 10% drain per hit, they have 10 attacks, if you don't dodge you're fuckin' toast.
So the actual best tactic for survival in the game is not to hit yourself like a dumbass, but instead to strap two shields to your arms like an even bigger dumbass, until Agility and Evasion are high enough to let you dodge without that crutch. It gets better and better the higher the base is, of course. Oh, it also doesn't help that heavier armor has a hidden modifier to your dodge chance, so your dedicated knight character might end up the least survivable because he has super heavy defense but dogshit dodge and, well, the percentage based attacks don't give a gently caress about armor.

I actually really like FF2 (at least the GBA remake, which lets you save everywhere lol), but boy do you have to know all the above and more to even attempt to enjoy it slightly. Playing it without gaming the system must be excruciating.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Strom Cuzewon posted:

FF8 is easier if you avoid levelling up and just abuse/utilise the Junction system to its full extent.

100% came to post. Battles are so much harder if you level. Just junction 100 ultima to STR and roll over everybody

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I used to think FF8 was the worst because when i got it I was in 4th or 5th grade and used my gameshark to level everyone to 100 right out the gate

Boy was that a bad call

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

Final Fantasy 2 leveled stats as you used them, which sounds good in theory. Hit more things -> Strength increases. Cast spells -> Magic increases. You get better at a weapon class by using it a lot. So far so good.

However, it breaks apart in two equal-but-opposite ways for other stats:

Health and Mana points also rise as you "use" them, which for health means getting hit. That lead to a meme where people claim the game is optimally played by hitting yourself in the face over and over, which is dumb, it's not optimal at all. What would be optimal is getting hit for a lot of damage at once, because you only gain more health if you lose a significant percentage in a battle. This means it's easy to increase it at the start because, say, 3 damage a monster deals is comparatively a lot out of 20 HP, but later on, 30 damage is not a lot if you have 1000 health already. Otoh, getting hit at the start is rarely dangerous, but later you'll get hit with mega damage AND a lot of status effects, and the dungeons are longer, and so on. And for mana, it's even worse: your MP similarly only rise if you use a lot of them in a battle at once, so you kind of have to overextend early, and if you just play normally, you'll always be out, as on the fly restoring is at a super premium. Even healing MP in town costs mega money. Conversely, it feels terrible if you do spend a third of your MP in a battle and still don't get an increase because there's always some randomness involved.
In both cases, as your maximum increases, it gets harder and harder to get the absolute values down enough to increase the maximum further.

And the opposite: dodge chance (or rather, the Agility stat) only increases if you dodge. Which means it's ludicrously hard to increase it at the start of the game because, well, you don't have much Agility, and it's totally random of course. It is vitally important, however, to have a high Agility because otherwise enemies will utterly wipe the floor with you later on, as they have multi-hit attacks where each can drain a percentage of your max life, and if it's like 10% drain per hit, they have 10 attacks, if you don't dodge you're fuckin' toast.
So the actual best tactic for survival in the game is not to hit yourself like a dumbass, but instead to strap two shields to your arms like an even bigger dumbass, until Agility and Evasion are high enough to let you dodge without that crutch. It gets better and better the higher the base is, of course. Oh, it also doesn't help that heavier armor has a hidden modifier to your dodge chance, so your dedicated knight character might end up the least survivable because he has super heavy defense but dogshit dodge and, well, the percentage based attacks don't give a gently caress about armor.

I actually really like FF2 (at least the GBA remake, which lets you save everywhere lol), but boy do you have to know all the above and more to even attempt to enjoy it slightly. Playing it without gaming the system must be excruciating.

I had the GBA cart with 1 & 2 on it and had no idea what I was doing with either of them. I got to the final boss in both of them and could never beat them. I had no idea about the Blood Sword trick in 2 to start. What I did was grind grind grind magic until that got to like level 7 or something and then go talk to a Captain in the town Scott was in until I could actually beat one. Then I revived everyone, left, used a tent and did that until I could do it with everyone alive because I had no idea where I was supposed to go.

The biggest problem I had was that you have to go outside the walls surrounding the city to get into the secret house where Scott is to move the plot forward but if you take one step away from the walls you go back to the overworld. Playing it for the first time, I had no idea what I was doing wrong.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 23:42 on Jan 15, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SubNat posted:

I'm curious, do the growth weights use the same 'feelgood' RNG that later titles of Fire Emblem uses in attacks and the like?

ie: 90% to hit for you isn't 90%, it's more like 99% chance to hit. Weighting the RNG to make it seem more 'correct', because humans are really bad at statistics.
As I recall there's a pretty notable difference in difficulty between the older FE titles that used direct and accurate RNG vs the newer titles that use the adjusted one, because it feels better to play for players.
( As it notably reduces the :xcom: feeling. People have a tendency to be upset when a 90% to hit attack doesn't actually hit. Or a 10% to -get- hit actually hits you. )

I'm not an expert but it looks like it does not, It makes sense too. The true hit system means higher numbers hit more often and lower miss more often, that's fine for players cause most people won't make an attack at less then 80% accuracy. But units with low HP growth's would almost never hit making them complete glass cannons. As far as I know the only rigging on level up's is some games won't let you get an empty one, which I guess is nice.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Outside of Unlimited Saga (You roll a roullette-wheel to level-up)

That’s not how Unlimited SaGa’s character growth works at all. It sounds like you’re confusing its (cool and good) leveling system with its (equally cool and good) roulette based combat system.

I actually really love Unlimited SaGa’s character growth and I think it would be a lot better received now that roguelites and deckbuilders are more popular. Basically each character has a set of 7 skill slots arranged in a hexagon (1 in the center and 6 around the edges), with their stats in a circle around them. Each tile can be filled with a skill that you can use in and/or out or combat, like martial arts or lockpicking, but they also modify your stats based on where you place them. For example, if strength is at the top of the circle and agility is at the bottom, skills placed near the top of the hexagon will give a big boost to strength but almost no boost to agility.

The catch is that the physical stats alternate with the magical stats, and skills that give a large boost to one type tend to give a small boost to the other. If a character has their strength stat right next to their fire affinity, then they can be good at physical attacks or good at fire magic, but not both... unless you give them a phobia, a purely negative skill which gives big boosts to both stats.

There’s no levels or exp, but every time you finish an adventure each character has to pick one new skill from a set that’s random but weighted based on what they did that adventure. It actually strikes a really good balance between planning and improvisation, and since skills are used for both stats and abilities it means there’s never really a best choice. It’s a really engaging and interesting system if you don’t get mad because it’s not how RPGs are “supposed” to work.

Sadly, the thing dragging Unlimited SaGa down is that the unwashed masses lack the necessary sophistication and critical thought to appreciate it.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I played a bit of Unlimited Saga and agree, the system is fascinating and a lot of fun if you don't sweat the whole "super random" issue.

The entire game is super fascinating. It's also frustrating in how deliberately obtuse it is. You have to have a mindset striking a perfect balance between "these systems are crazy, I want to try and figure them out" and "these systems are crazy, I'll just go with the flow".

The crafting sucks unbelievable amounts of rear end tho. I hate crafting in general, but three layers of randomness on top of scarce resources coupled with a system that makes no sense makes me want to puke. Again the best course of action is to just wing it but it almost viscerally disgusts me.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Judge Tesla posted:

Oh man have I hit a roadblock in Persona 5 Royal, Okumura and his loving robots, you have to beat each wave of robots in 2 turns or they run away and he resummons them at full health, the trouble is that as you progress through the fight the robots get stronger and have different weakenesses.

You basically need to have every element available to you and have ways to counteract the buffs and debuffs Okumura himself casts, its a horrible nightmare.

If it's any consolation, that's the toughest boss fight in the game. I beat it by bringing Morgana, Makoto and Haru, they cover the elements you need.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Ultima 7 is one of my personal favorite games of all time but the way character progression worked confused the gently caress out of me as a kid. You had to kill things to gain experience, but you didn't actually advance by doing so. Instead it gave you training points which you could use when buying training from a trainer. Each trainer would take a different amount of training points per train and would train different stats. Like there would be one that trains 1 dex for 1 point but another that trains 1 int 1 magic and one dex for 3 points so you had to try and balance your training out. And you had primary stats (int/str/dex) and secondary stats (combat/magic) and I never knew which was more important than the other.

It was just so complicated for what was ultimately a very simple underlying system. I think until more recent playthroughs I would just train a couple times at random trainers then never again because I didn't get how it worked.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
The expansion for The Black Gate will max the Avatar's stats, and everyone else should basically get just strength or maybe some combat.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I never had the expansion back in the day.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Infamous Second Son: The spray paint mini-game where you have to hold the controller vertically and use motion controls.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I assume Infamous Second Son is free on playstation plus or something again? It's curious to suddenly see multiple people talking about it all of a sudden, considering it is kinda old.

This complaint is probably more a general one for books, shows, films, and games, but:
You can't both have an 'unknowable/lovecraftian/terrifying' force/enemy, and have them constantly keep talking and/or expositing.
Fable 3 has a shadow demon monstery thing as the primary antagonist, and every interesting piece of atmosphere the game tries to set up (like it slowly crawling in and taking over your pause menu, etc.) is immediately wafted away like a smelly fart once he starts talking and cannot stop loving keep talking.
It reminds me a bit of the Reapers, where they very quickly went from 'you know almost nothing about them, but a single one alone was almost able to take over what is essentially the capital of the galaxy' to 'here let us explain everything about us and whoops turns out we're pretty fuckin' dumb when you fill in all the blanks, huh?'

The 'Crawler/Darkness Incarnate' (ugh) would have been a lot more effective if it maybe said like, one or two sentences total, but still messed around with you as it does in the game.
Instead you get a solid 5-10 minutes of SHADOW SHADOW SNUFF OUT THE LIGHT REE REEEEEE monologuing from it the first time you meet it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

SubNat posted:

I assume Infamous Second Son is free on playstation plus or something again? It's curious to suddenly see multiple people talking about it all of a sudden, considering it is kinda old.

This complaint is probably more a general one for books, shows, films, and games, but:
You can't both have an 'unknowable/lovecraftian/terrifying' force/enemy, and have them constantly keep talking and/or expositing.
Fable 3 has a shadow demon monstery thing as the primary antagonist, and every interesting piece of atmosphere the game tries to set up (like it slowly crawling in and taking over your pause menu, etc.) is immediately wafted away like a smelly fart once he starts talking and cannot stop loving keep talking.
It reminds me a bit of the Reapers, where they very quickly went from 'you know almost nothing about them, but a single one alone was almost able to take over what is essentially the capital of the galaxy' to 'here let us explain everything about us and whoops turns out we're pretty fuckin' dumb when you fill in all the blanks, huh?'

The 'Crawler/Darkness Incarnate' (ugh) would have been a lot more effective if it maybe said like, one or two sentences total, but still messed around with you as it does in the game.
Instead you get a solid 5-10 minutes of SHADOW SHADOW SNUFF OUT THE LIGHT REE REEEEEE monologuing from it the first time you meet it.

it's free for ps5 owners with ps+

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh, and another one Fable 3 does: The annoying bit of forced straightness in a game where you can otherwise be gay/bi for the rest of it.

Specific friend/possible romantic interest where you get 1 of 2 characters, depending on which gender your character is, even though the game itself supports gay/bi romances.
If you play as the princess, you have a friend/romantic relationship with Elliot.
If you play as the prince, you have a friend/romantic relationship with Elise.
(On your side you can choose between kissing/hugging them when meeting them, later when they're carted off they proclaim that they love you regardless of what you do before getting dragged off. (Making it very implied that it's supposed to be romantic.)
With the option to be reunited with them later in the game if they survive.) I'd much rather them both just be around, and be flipped into friend/romantic interest depending on how you talk with them in the opening section.

I guess it's just one very specific way this issue can present itself, but it's fairly common: Games where you can play your character as varying sexualities, but then it just thoughtlessly chucks some forced straightness at you.
AC:Odyssey is often brung up in this thread due to the whole forced baby situation in one of the DLC episodes.

I just feel like it's especially egregious in Fable 3, as Fable 1 was one of the first games for a long time (besides the sims.) which just straight up let you be gay/bi, and marry other dudes. (They only got around to letting you select your gender as well once 2 came out.)
Back in 2004. I'm pretty sure you can count the games with LGBT content from that generation on one hand. It was very much one of the first mainstream-y games where you could just have a gay/bi protagonist, before it started getting a little bit more common (though mostly in rpgs, still.)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Len posted:

it's free for ps5 owners with ps+

It also runs at a locked 60fps now so people are taking the opportunity to play it again.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Kind of a hybrid drag-down and FWP, but how the gently caress is it that my primary finger hurts playing Diablo 3 and not like, the rest of the time I'm using my mouse? It makes so sense, and D3 is at the end of its life anyway with D4 coming around, but what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I beat AC: Odyssey tonight (and by 'beat' I mean I cleared the three main story paths, I still want to get in and do all the side stuff). It's kind of weird there's no real ending cutscene in the real world to wrap everything up, lemme just do a quick googling here and see if there's anything I missed...

...oh. It looks like the actual ending is in the DLC. Welp. :negative:

I hate when devs do this. This is the reason why I skipped Asura's Wrath, dammit.