Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Oh good SODO Moto is still around, I was afraid they might have closed but they just moved... out of SODO.

Neat operation they got going, I popped in there a couple years ago and chatted with the owner a bit and sat in some Autozam AZ1s and other quirky import stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

glyph posted:

I managed to land a newt is login before they locked everyone out. If anyone needs the invite link, we could get a chain going...

or is that :filez: ?

I could be interested if it isn't against the rules.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Cojawfee posted:

I also have one...

quote:

If you are not affiliated with BMW, follow this link to register and you will again have free access:
-LINK-REMOVED-
Note: the link expires after 3 days.
Please do not post this message in public forums, and read the rules carefully.

So... it's a gray area...

[EDIT] Is this a public forum? I can't remember if this is crawled without a login... I might need to remove this message completely..

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Count me in for tis pls

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
I will also participate, PMs open if necessary.

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

PM’d.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Today in crack pipes:

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/ctd/d/attleboro-bmw-328-touring-wagon-speed/7261689438.html

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
could probably get that price if it was a non awd

but that's a really nice spec car, love le mans blue and that interior

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

i own every Bionicle posted:

Lol

They have gotten rid of the Gran Touring things but still

Lmao

Seriously wtf

Well, you can't sell a luxury barn-on-wheels without offering a sporty hybrid Coupé Version of it with even more horsepower, now can you?

:lol:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Well, you can't sell a luxury barn-on-wheels without offering a sporty hybrid Coupé Version of it with even more horsepower, now can you?

:lol:

X8M Confirmed!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Ultimate Mango posted:

X8M Confirmed!

was that a question?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Almost bought one of these new in 2010, which I would have specced exactly like that. ended up with a 128i on a (ridiculously subsidized) lease because I saved a ridiculous amount of money. I regret that decision now.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Almost bought one of these new in 2010, which I would have specced exactly like that. ended up with a 128i on a (ridiculously subsidized) lease because I saved a ridiculous amount of money. I regret that decision now.

How was the 128 spec'd?

I have in my brain for some reason that a 128 with an m sport package and a manual would be the best "modern ish" BMW to have. Of course good luck finding one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A 128i manual, m-sport, with no sunroof is like a unicorn.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The best modern-ish BMW to have is the E9x M3 with the carbon roof, actually.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

How was the 128 spec'd?

I have in my brain for some reason that a 128 with an m sport package and a manual would be the best "modern ish" BMW to have. Of course good luck finding one.

128i manual sport cold weather sunroof

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

128i manual sport cold weather sunroof

What was your favorite and least favorite thing about it?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Count me in also for TIS access, if it is still available - PMs open

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

I recently completed a maintenance task that I'd put off for far too long - replacing leaking differential seals. I followed this guide and it was detailed enough, although I was completely unable to get the pinion nut off without an impact wrench - so now I have an impact wrench. Kinda wish I had it at the start of the job rather than waiting for it to arrive halfway through however!

I replaced all three seals for peace of mind. The job took me a fair while as it was my first time really getting under this car, but apart from that it was very doable.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I’m also interested in the tis access.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

What was your favorite and least favorite thing about it?

My favorite thing was probably the steering. Good feedback and weight. Other surprisingly good things - the backseat was more spacious than expected although very difficult to access. I had no problem sitting back there for a few hours at 5'10. Trunk space was also surprisingly good.

Honestly my least favorite thing wasn't anything in particular, it was just that the car was a little bit dull. It was really good to drive but not in a particularly entertaining way, if that makes sense. Extremely competent but not that much fun. The handling was really predictable but not all that playful. By the time the car felt exciting at all, you were going at extra-legal speeds. It also drove bigger than it was (it drove pretty much exactly like a 328i), which was fine on the freeway, but not as good in the twisties.

There were a bunch of niggling little things that left the car in good-not-great territory. It always felt like a little bit less than the sum of its parts. The sight lines were just okay, the engine made decent power and was smooth but was a little bit underwhelming. The styling was kind of awkward. The seats were great but the leather wore on the bolsters very quickly - it was worn through on the outside driver side bolster in 36 months, for instance. I didn't love the car enough to purchase it off-lease.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

fknlo posted:

Same.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

fknlo posted:

I am also, if possible.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My favorite thing was probably the steering. Good feedback and weight. Other surprisingly good things - the backseat was more spacious than expected although very difficult to access. I had no problem sitting back there for a few hours at 5'10. Trunk space was also surprisingly good.

Honestly my least favorite thing wasn't anything in particular, it was just that the car was a little bit dull. It was really good to drive but not in a particularly entertaining way, if that makes sense. Extremely competent but not that much fun. The handling was really predictable but not all that playful. By the time the car felt exciting at all, you were going at extra-legal speeds. It also drove bigger than it was (it drove pretty much exactly like a 328i), which was fine on the freeway, but not as good in the twisties.

There were a bunch of niggling little things that left the car in good-not-great territory. It always felt like a little bit less than the sum of its parts. The sight lines were just okay, the engine made decent power and was smooth but was a little bit underwhelming. The styling was kind of awkward. The seats were great but the leather wore on the bolsters very quickly - it was worn through on the outside driver side bolster in 36 months, for instance. I didn't love the car enough to purchase it off-lease.

Seconding all this. I had the leatherette seats though which I think are better wearing. And I liked the styling.

I had a CPO 128i just off lease back when BMW still did bumper-to-bumper repairs and I don't think it went more than 3 months without something breaking. In my one year of ownership it has the fuel tank, radio, O2 sensors, 3rd brake light lens, probably more I can't remember replaced. I got rid of it just before the warranty expired. Honestly I liked the car, it had a great seating position and was driver-centric but the constant repairs put me way off.

Last year before I bought my FoST, I considered a 135i. Found a low mileage example with a clean history. Got that famous BMW warning BONG on the test drive - ABS failure. Nope nope nope. Not doing this again.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Dumb question - does the 2020 8 series have Android auto or just the 2021s? Are there any differences between model years at all? They stopped making the coupe for 2021, so I was looking at 2020s.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KillHour posted:

Dumb question - does the 2020 8 series have Android auto or just the 2021s? Are there any differences between model years at all? They stopped making the coupe for 2021, so I was looking at 2020s.
I think AA only appears in cars manufactured after June 2020. I don’t know if there’s a software upgrade for AA but I know there are after market add on kits that will give you AA.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

KillHour posted:

My 2020 3 series just got android auto in an update an hour ago so I’m pretty sure the 8 series has it as well.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cool thanks. I'm seeing all these $1200/month lease deals for 2020 M8 coupes and I'm like why the hell would I spend $1000/month on an M4 comp?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I know a guy who has a $800/mo payment on a basic-rear end Mercedes E class and I laugh every time I think of it.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
thoughts on getting a cpo f80 m3? they seem to be going for low 50s for the non-comp, which seems like a fairly good price for what you’re getting. it’ll be my only car, which makes me hesitant since i’m in the denver area, but the g80 is a hard pass.

higher mileage, non-cpo 2015 ones seem to be going around the low 40s but i’m thinking the extra 10k is worth it though i don’t know how drastic the changes were from 2015-2020.

i’ve waffled on for years to get an m3 but i always back out at the last second due to not being able to have the space for 2 cars - i think i’m finally over that though with prices of the f80s dropping.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dk2m posted:

thoughts on getting a cpo f80 m3? they seem to be going for low 50s for the non-comp, which seems like a fairly good price for what you’re getting. it’ll be my only car, which makes me hesitant since i’m in the denver area, but the g80 is a hard pass.

higher mileage, non-cpo 2015 ones seem to be going around the low 40s but i’m thinking the extra 10k is worth it though i don’t know how drastic the changes were from 2015-2020.

i’ve waffled on for years to get an m3 but i always back out at the last second due to not being able to have the space for 2 cars - i think i’m finally over that though with prices of the f80s dropping.

I have an f80 and live up in Longmont. It's completely doable, especially if you don't go into the mountains. I wouldn't even hesitate to take it into the mountains on most days with the right tires. Performance winters like Pilot Alpins are pretty good for non-mountain winter activities here.

Mine is a 2015. It has the worst infotainment out of all of the years. There are ways to update it for a few hundred bucks up to like $1200. I'd probably go with a 2016 or newer if I was buying now. Outside of that there aren't a ton of differences not related to the LCI refreshes.

They're easy as hell to tune. There is a known crank hub issue. There's a $99 part called a crank bolt capture that probably alleviates it for anything that doesn't involve upgraded turbos. The charge cooler will eventually start leaking. OEM replacements are like $700 but there are aftermarket parts that probably won't leak for around the same price and up to a few grand. Spark plugs will take a few hours to replace, the rotors run $600 per axle, and the passenger side seal on the differential has a tendency to leak. I think there's also a thing that happens that requires a new valve cover or something? I think that covers the overwhelming majority of common issues/maintenance I've seen. I've done the crank bolt capture, my diff seals were replaced on the last day of warranty, I'm still waiting on my aftermarket charge cooler because mine is leaking, and I'll need new front rotors when I change the pads this year.

I highly recommend the car if you're alright with that stuff and have the money for the common maintenance items. Mine is pretty much fully loaded but I highly recommend at least getting the executive package for the backup camera and HUD as well as the LED headlights because they look better.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Today in crack pipes:

That doesn’t seem too far off the mark for that one. Good color combo, sport seats, manual, and not a ton if miles in it. The E90 crowd seems to be willing to pay a premium for those along with “hydraulic steering”, and “naturally aspirated.”

I saw this recently which I think trends crack pipe.

I have a 09 E91 and I’m considering, given these prices, of swapping it out for an F31. I find the 328i tepid and the auto trans terrible. Anyone here owned both that can comment?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i've only driven an F-car briefly but I found it far more tepid than the e9x. i think most people prefer the e9x and that's part of why prices on them are so high.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i've only driven an F-car briefly but I found it far more tepid than the e9x. i think most people prefer the e9x and that's part of why prices on them are so high.

It really depends on the car. The LCI F3X really fixed some of the sloppiness in the chassis but those cars are newer and more expensive. The big issue was the steering rack which was pretty numb. That was partially addressed in the LCI. It’s not as good as the e9X but it’s not as bad as people make it out to be.

I do like the steering rack better in the e9X cars but that’s about where it ends for me. Everything else is objectively worse, including looks.

The F30 to me has gotten better with age whereas the e9X sedans just look awful.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
My F30 feels better as I get closer to 100k than either E90 did. Sure, the steering isn't as great, but I have the variable steering so it's wonky anyway.

Mine certainly fits in better with newer cars, and I think the interior has held up better, even with adding a toddler (my poor backseat).

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Went for a drive today with my car's PO, who just bought a GT4 with Alcantara interior & yellow contrast stitching/belts/etc. Extremely cool car and we had fun turning dinosaurs into noise today. Turns out NA V8's with 414 hp can keep up with NA Flat 6's with the same number of horsepowers despite a ~700 pound difference, although his car is extremely punchy in 2nd and 3rd. He can definitely outbrake me. Rode with him but declined his offer to drive until he's got it fully broken in (2200 miles).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Successfully drove our G12 across 5 acres of open field and back again this weekend

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

that's a nice M3, ether frenzy. word of advice from your friend kotex: get the all black kidney grills

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Went for a drive today with my car's PO, who just bought a GT4 with Alcantara interior & yellow contrast stitching/belts/etc. Extremely cool car and we had fun turning dinosaurs into noise today. Turns out NA V8's with 414 hp can keep up with NA Flat 6's with the same number of horsepowers despite a ~700 pound difference, although his car is extremely punchy in 2nd and 3rd. He can definitely outbrake me. Rode with him but declined his offer to drive until he's got it fully broken in (2200 miles).

This makes me want an M3 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I think the best part of owning an F30 LCI is not having the constant nagging worry in the back of your head that your timing chain is going to explode into a thousand pieces.