Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

ManMythLegend posted:

SWOS actually will kick people for academic failure. It takes a few failures generally, but it does happen.

It's relatively rare over on the Department Head side where TVS is talking about, but I had a guy in my class many years ago get rolled. Over on the navigation side of the house it's a lot more common and generally happens a couple of times per convening.

Career consequences afterwards vary, but can include loss of designator and getting sent to a POCR board fire possible septation.

But yeah, pre-DH SWO LTs are generally the worst with a special combination of overconfident, lazy, and incompetent so :shrug:

Thats good, I was assuming responsibility without authority which leads straight to toxicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Valley Stared posted:

And McNally, no idea. I lead with, "Hey, I was the DCA on the Fitzgerald from 2016 to 2017. Yeah, I was there for the collision. I have some practical experience" to impress why this is so important, and yet, I have seen comments of "I'm going to be a Weps. Why should I care about a Main Space Fire or Stability and Buoyancy?"

You aren't allowed to beat them over the head with a big binder full of photos of the Sheffield on fire, I take it?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

MML, :sadwave: I was still pretty optimistic when I taught your class back last year. It's almost gone, replaced by disdain for my follow LTs.

:sickos: Embrace your hate. That's the only way to evolve to your final form.

I've actually hated most of my peer group since I was midshipman. :ssh:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MML over here like SWO Palpatine

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Enlisting in the Bees was stupid but still glad I did that instead of listen to Mr. Nice! that I should go be a SWO

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

orange juche posted:

MML over here like SWO Palpatine

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

And McNally, no idea. I lead with, "Hey, I was the DCA on the Fitzgerald from 2016 to 2017. Yeah, I was there for the collision. I have some practical experience" to impress why this is so important, and yet, I have seen comments of "I'm going to be a Weps. Why should I care about a Main Space Fire or Stability and Buoyancy?"

:stare: Jesus...

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You aren't allowed to beat them over the head with a big binder full of photos of the Sheffield on fire, I take it?

Make them read Shattered Sword and count how many ships the IJN lost because they sucked at DC.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

But yeah, pre-DH SWO LTs are generally the worst with a special combination of overconfident, lazy, and incompetent so :shrug:

Ouch

I am seeing students go from 3.75 cumulative GPA to back to back 1.25 terms. Its not sparing the active duty students. Remote seems to really affect people's motivational frameworks.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MarkThompson_DC/status/1349024588911415296?s=20

When the naval history book on the GWOT era is written, the LCS and DDG1000 is gonna be front and center of just colossal fuckups in acquisitions

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I still recall the utter looks of defeat and despair when I cranked for a day on the DDG1000. Those poor sailors.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Did we learn nothing from the Cylons' attack on the Colonies?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Time to get the Kitty Hawk out of moth ball! :getin:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Just like the wifi-enabled chastity belt that now has people having to ransom their cocks, the IOT is terrible

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
For what it’s worth, the one guy who managed to get me to take onboard fire drills seriously* back when I sailed had been chief mate on the Windoc and had pretty graphic descriptions of that night he shared every time the fire alarm went off.

*The company culture was thoroughly broken and drills were an absolute waste of time, including one where we just sat in the mess and pretended to do poo poo because the weather was bad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The SKSA Chud got kicked out for refusing to take the anthrax vaccine.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
that discharge reflects great credit on himself and the united states naval service that they knew to get the gently caress away from each other

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

LingcodKilla posted:

I still recall the utter looks of defeat and despair when I cranked for a day on the DDG1000. Those poor sailors.

I remember how it kept breaking down and coming back to mayport when it was supposed to go to California.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I remember how it kept breaking down and coming back to mayport when it was supposed to go to California.

I was in mayport when it happened again and again lol

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yep. Watching it get towed in and out cracked me up for a solid week.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any experience getting a discharge type upgraded through the VA or just know where to start with that? Coming up on six months since I got discharged and I wouldn’t mind getting my honorable.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

Anyone have any experience getting a discharge type upgraded through the VA or just know where to start with that? Coming up on six months since I got discharged and I wouldn’t mind getting my honorable.

I have not personally but I know that a client did have luck working with NVLSP to find someone.

quote:

National Veterans Legal Services Program - Lawyers Serving Warriors (LSW) Program 
NVLSP's Lawyers Serving Warriors® program offers pro bono (that is, free) legal help with disability issues to veterans from all eras. Our current pro bono initiatives are to assist veterans with the following types of disability claims: 
• Assistance with Discharge Upgrades for Veterans from All Eras 
• Applications for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC) 
• Applications to Boards for Correction of Military Records (BCMRs) for veterans who were wrongfully discharged for personality disorder or adjustment disorder 
• Applications to Boards for Correction of Military Records (BCMRs) for veterans who wish to obtain disability retirement 
• Assistance with VA claims for Mental Health and/or Physical Condition(s) including PTSD due to military sexual trauma (MST) 
• Applications to the Physical Disability Board of Review (PDBR) for an increase in the military disability rating to attain a permanent disability retirement 
• Representation to service members being processed through the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) 

In the past, the Lawyers Serving Warriors® program assisted veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan facing administrative separation or pursuing a claim with the VA for disability compensation.  Lawyers Serving Warriors® has recruited hundreds of volunteer lawyers from law firms and corporate legal departments throughout the country. 

Our attorneys are experts in the law governing military and veterans’ disability benefits, and they use this expertise to train and mentor these volunteer lawyers so they are prepared and qualified to handle disability cases. This ensures that every service member and veteran whom we serve receives top notch legal representation. 

https://www.nvlsp.org/what-we-do/lawyers-serving-warriors/%A0

Also I am sure you could have found this but the general info from the VA is also good to review if you fall into the specified categories: PTSD, MST, TBI, or DADT

quote:

How to Apply for a Discharge Upgrade 

Want to apply for a military discharge upgrade or correction? Get step-by-step instructions depending on your specific situation. If your discharge is upgraded, you'll be eligible for VA benefits you earned while serving. 

https://www.va.gov/discharge-upgrade-instructions/

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Anita Dickinme posted:

My understanding is that most veteran service organizations branches have people who handle these kind of requests. I'd call up some offices in larger cities close to you and ask around.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I have 69 days left in the Navy.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
nice

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I have 69 days left in the Navy.

Niiiiiiiiiiiice.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I heard my name being yelled and came as fast as possible.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

Messy.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

They have drugs for that

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/rumdrinker71/status/1353052880375320576?s=20

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

gently caress that. I'll swim over, thanks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The other watch officer on my shift at the command I just demob'd from was a sub guy. And one of the funniest moments was explaining unreps to him and watching his eyes bug out of his head.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I need some help, I'm in the separation process and basically completely on my own. I've figured out enough on what I specifically need to do to make sure I get my 214. But...

I need help know what specific actions I need to take in order to get the right benefits.

What do I need to do to make sure I actually get benefits? I've been told I need to "apply for benefits" with the VA but I'm not clear on how to do that. Google says do it through the website but if I try to do it through the website... I'm pretty worried I'll gently caress myself because I don't. It's also all weird, asking what my unit was when I was a reservist on the VA's site, and I wasn't a reservist. Does my separation physical have anything to do with it? Will doing it there screw me? Where can I go for useful help on the VA stuff? Should I just do my best on the VA website right now?

GI bill- Do I need to do anything pre-separation? Just want to avoid some kind of "lol you didn't fill out this form tough luck" thing.

What other things do I need to do that I just don't even know enough to ask?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I need some help, I'm in the separation process and basically completely on my own. I've figured out enough on what I specifically need to do to make sure I get my 214. But...

I need help know what specific actions I need to take in order to get the right benefits.

What do I need to do to make sure I actually get benefits? I've been told I need to "apply for benefits" with the VA but I'm not clear on how to do that. Google says do it through the website but if I try to do it through the website... I'm pretty worried I'll gently caress myself because I don't. It's also all weird, asking what my unit was when I was a reservist on the VA's site, and I wasn't a reservist. Does my separation physical have anything to do with it? Will doing it there screw me? Where can I go for useful help on the VA stuff? Should I just do my best on the VA website right now?

GI bill- Do I need to do anything pre-separation? Just want to avoid some kind of "lol you didn't fill out this form tough luck" thing.

CALL THE VA. Call them. On the phone. Talk to a human. 107% of them are former service and have done this before. The customer service reps are almost hand-picked to be the kind of people that enjoy explaining bureaucratic labyrinths to active duty.

Don't be afraid to call many times. You absolutely will not have all the information they need in the first call.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

CALL THE VA. Call them. On the phone. Talk to a human. 107% of them are former service and have done this before. The customer service reps are almost hand-picked to be the kind of people that enjoy explaining bureaucratic labyrinths to active duty.

Don't be afraid to call many times. You absolutely will not have all the information they need in the first call.

Oh poo poo good to know. I'll give them a call.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
My experience may be atypical but I have had nothing but good help and care from the VA. They reps are solid by and large.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

maffew buildings posted:

My experience may be atypical but I have had nothing but good help and care from the VA. They reps are solid by and large.

Same here

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Vasudus has a write-up in the Veteran Resources thread on the GI Bill stuff. Nothing really to do before you get out. Make sure you get your login to Ebenefits situated, have your DD-214 in hand, and get your Certificate of Eligibility.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That’s the huge relief. The lovely taps PowerPoint I got made it seem like there was so much poo poo to do, and my command despite being huge seemingly doesn’t have much of a process or system for people who are retiring or separating.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Use your cac card to get the top tier login to ebenefits before you give it back

Start your disability claims and try to get your c&p exams arranged as soon as possible, which should be before eaos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Make sure you talk to a navy doc about any and all ailments you have and make sure it's all documented.