Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
matt's cajun accent veering into a nick mullen chinese accent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
it's no pierre st pierre

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

crepeface posted:

matt's cajun accent veering into a nick mullen chinese accent

Ummm...you're Cajun

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
did you know that there's an n word for white people, but only if you're cajun

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

indescribable and terrible accents own, especially the ones where it goes heavy on one and no one knows what the hell it's supposed to be

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
The most offensive fake accent is the one Gal Gadot does in Wonder Woman.

\/\/\/yup\/\/\/

Majorian has issued a correction as of 10:08 on Jan 17, 2021

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
the best ww take was from one of the chapos that because gal gadot is incapable of doing an accent every good actress playing an amazonian has to do an israeli one

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

did you know that there's an n word for white people, but only if you're cajun

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

mods?? a clear non cajun is posting a slur at my people

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1350570759152934916?s=19

They're really gonna do this huh

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

lol i was just gonna post that. we'll probably have people in cspam cheering them on the entire time too

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

My (BlueMAGA extremely lib brained) mom called me a couple months ago to tell me I had to watch this Netflix documentary called the social dilemma. I did for whatever reason and the whole time I was just very amused that this major media company was lecturing me about how nobody trusts established media sources anymore. Also lots of interesting stuff about algorithms I guess but the part about shared truth was what stood out to me.

Anyway, I realized there is growing frustration that people don’t get their news from curated sources anymore. The NYT and CNN and etc have all blown their credibility by lying and misleading and parroting the official government line and on and on. I don’t need to catalog here.

And then I started thinking. What if they could basically white list the internet. Lock it down so it’s difficult to reach websites that aren’t preapproved? These are all private media companies so the whole “it’s not censorship because it’s not the government” will probably convince plenty of people in the same way that Amazon normalized security cameras everywhere when people would have flipped if it’d been local pds putting surveillance on their front door.

I don’t know. In a few years you have a path to what I’ve been told the Chinese internet is like (I’ve never actually been there so I don’t know what it’s actually like but y’all get my point). Podcasts certainly are a big part of this. Get google/apple to limit offerings to stuff that’s been curated by iHeart for liability reasons...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Hell yeah we're going back to individual websites. gently caress your podcast app, I download my podcasts directly from their angelfire sites

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I had a long conversation last night with a friend who grew up conservative but is now sort of rethinking things in the wake of *waves hand at 2020 in general*, and one thing that came up was the history he read as a kid was all old school British-imperialist jingoism. I was thinking Radio War Nerd might be a good gateway drug for doing cool history stories from a "gently caress the British Empire" perspective; anyone have opinions on specific episodes to get started with?

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

Gripweed posted:

Hell yeah we're going back to individual websites. gently caress your podcast app, I download my podcasts directly from their angelfire sites

oh sorry your individual podcast website was hosted on aws or azure, too bad

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

rss is rss

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Lol Robert Evans got super pissed when I posted a mild "I don't like Imperialism" post in his thread in these forums.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

MonsieurChoc posted:

Lol Robert Evans got super pissed when I posted a mild "I don't like Imperialism" post in his thread in these forums.

anti-imperalism is the anti-capitalism of fools, i mutter as i count fed money

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm not even a powerful poster lol.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
im planning to start a podcast about precisely how much rear end america sucks, and hosting it in europe

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

hell yeah bringing back dpph

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
impressed that some guy at langley convinced his boss that listening to cum town all day is his job now

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

impressed that some guy at langley convinced his boss that listening to cum town all day is his job now

wonder what the codename is for the group that listens to looney lefty podcasts

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

a Loving Dog posted:

oh sorry your individual podcast website was hosted on aws or azure, too bad

*kicks thefpl.us can down the road*

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

The wrong Robert Evans died!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the robert evans sausage gravy imperialism apologia dispenser

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I said that discrete hosting would come back into style, but uh, not exactly like this

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

MonsieurChoc posted:

saw this. i put a Q in myself when i saw he posts in that thread because more people i follow are boosting his work and saying what a great commentator he is but i just don't understand his politics at all. pretty sure i will get called a tankie and yada yada but it's worth a shot.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gh0stpinballa posted:

saw this. i put a Q in myself when i saw he posts in that thread because more people i follow are boosting his work and saying what a great commentator he is but i just don't understand his politics at all. pretty sure i will get called a tankie and yada yada but it's worth a shot.

What thread is this and what is his user name? I’ve been trying to figure him out too because yeah he’s gotten pretty (relatively speaking) big and people seem to hang off his words in a way that raises eyebrows

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I like Robert Evans because I called him a cia stooge, one of his followers demanded receipts, I started posting them, so he implied I was a Russian twitter troll and blocked me

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

I had a long conversation last night with a friend who grew up conservative but is now sort of rethinking things in the wake of *waves hand at 2020 in general*, and one thing that came up was the history he read as a kid was all old school British-imperialist jingoism. I was thinking Radio War Nerd might be a good gateway drug for doing cool history stories from a "gently caress the British Empire" perspective; anyone have opinions on specific episodes to get started with?

That's a great question but may get quicker answers in the War Nerd thread

One of the most recent episodes was the Irish War of Independence. I think there is also an old episode about the book, Late Victorian Holocausts, that might be good.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

lollontee posted:

im planning to start a podcast about precisely how much rear end america sucks, and hosting it in europe

I'm going to start a podcast about European politics, hosted entirely by Americans who know very little about European politics

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Gripweed posted:

I'm going to start a podcast about European politics, hosted entirely by Americans who know very little about European politics

Hi Dan Carlin from 10 years ago!

e: gently caress you said politics, not history, so that joke doesn't make sense.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yadoppsi posted:

That's a great question but may get quicker answers in the War Nerd thread

One of the most recent episodes was the Irish War of Independence. I think there is also an old episode about the book, Late Victorian Holocausts, that might be good.

thanks, i forgot that thread was still open

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

HashtagGirlboss posted:

What thread is this and what is his user name? I’ve been trying to figure him out too because yeah he’s gotten pretty (relatively speaking) big and people seem to hang off his words in a way that raises eyebrows

Here's the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904083

He's GunFondler42069.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

HashtagGirlboss posted:

And then I started thinking. What if they could basically white list the internet. Lock it down so it’s difficult to reach websites that aren’t preapproved? These are all private media companies so the whole “it’s not censorship because it’s not the government” will probably convince plenty of people in the same way that Amazon normalized security cameras everywhere when people would have flipped if it’d been local pds putting surveillance on their front door.

I don’t know. In a few years you have a path to what I’ve been told the Chinese internet is like (I’ve never actually been there so I don’t know what it’s actually like but y’all get my point). Podcasts certainly are a big part of this. Get google/apple to limit offerings to stuff that’s been curated by iHeart for liability reasons...
The writing has been on the wall here in recent times that this is where it's going with bigwig think-tank Dems, including sleepy joe, and upper echelon woke tut libs making waves. republicans were also mad about 230 under the pretense they had "unjust conservative censorship" but democrats are wokeishly mad about all this unpatriotic hate speech. there's a pretty good alliance there

the only reason there was recent tepid opposition to 230-changes was because orange wet daddy was hammering on and that's bad media optic to go oh yes he's right. now he's out of the picture soon a lot of that opposition melts away like a kratom goon baking in a car.

i suspect what we'll see is probably some form of Trusted Internet Platform Act of 2021/2 where it's some form of a 230-repeal with a whitelist for corps that can be Trusted like nyt, marky-z and j-dorsey (assuming they've given a big enough campaign donation).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Majorian posted:

Hi Dan Carlin from 10 years ago!

e: gently caress you said politics, not history, so that joke doesn't make sense.

Every week we read an article from The Guardian or Der Spiegel about some new European political goings on, and discuss it from a position of almost pure ignorance. A good chunk of every episode is taken up by a discussion as to whether or not Germany is still "the bad guys". No conclusion is reached.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Every week we read an article from The Guardian or Der Spiegel about some new European political goings on, and discuss it from a position of almost pure ignorance. A good chunk of every episode is taken up by a discussion as to whether or not Germany is still "the bad guys". No conclusion is reached.

ah crap, I reaped dragon's teeth and now they're growing

crap!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Gripweed posted:

keep checking in on the potential violence from Cornish separatist