Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Steak and rolls and salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
seafood medley pasta w/ lemon and butter cream sauce

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Hallal cart chicken bowls

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Garbage photos, because I wasn't planning on posting them. But the drink in the last picture has kicked in, so here was meal prep over the past week.

Pad kra pao with some broccoli thrown in.

Tofu teriyaki bowl with roasted brussels sprouts and carrots.

Ribeye with Chinese mashed potatoes and fried green beans.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kenji's NY style dough w/ pepperoni, pineapple, onion, and pickled jalapeno.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
I also made a pizza, here it is. Poster above: looks good.

I was lazy and just used the premade dough they sell out of the Publix bakery, which has given me good results historically (and well worth the $3 to avoid having to make dough).

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
last night was quiche with ricotta, parmesan, and spinach topped with chili crisp

tonight was steak and baked potatoes and broccoli

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

kumba posted:

last night was quiche with ricotta, parmesan, and spinach topped with chili crisp

I want it!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Speedrun gumbo

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My wife and I got COVID :toot:

A heavy lunch bothered our stomachs so we tried going a little more bland for dinner. Just made a big pot of chicken and rice. Threw in some parsley and spinach for a few extra vitamins. My wife says it tastes really good, but I can’t taste poo poo.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Minty rice and some fish

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Made seriouseats shaksuka for me and some family last night. I never really cook outside my tiny and very crude repertoire, but I'd been wanting to try shaksuka for a long time thanks to this thread and I'm pretty damned happy with how this turned out, considering. This is immediately post-feta-sprinkling, pre-serving. Accompanied it with a really crusty mutilated baguette.

Also, thank you, all of you. Been reading these threads whenever I eat something dull since 2015, so you've given me the subjective equivalent of several thousand really good meals.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 15, 2021

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Drakyn posted:

Made seriouseats shaksuka for me and some family last night. I never really cook outside my tiny and very crude repertoire, but I'd been wanting to try shaksuka for a long time thanks to this thread and I'm pretty damned happy with how this turned out, considering. This is immediately post-feta-sprinkling, pre-serving. Accompanied it with a really crusty mutilated baguette.

Also, thank you, all of you. Been reading these threads whenever I eat something dull since 2015, so you've given me the subjective equivalent of several thousand really good meals.

looks good, I like making this in a basic red tomato sauce with guajillo, in mexico we call it huevos ahogados or 'drowned eggs'... but they also come poached in all varieties of salsas... green tomatillo, dark red toasted ancho, etc... plus it is great for when there is a small crowd, just throw all the eggs in at the same time.

I offer a moment of silence for the seasoning of your cast iron pan with the simmering of that tomato, though :gonk:

ogarza fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 15, 2021

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ogarza posted:

I offer a moment of silence for the seasoning of your cast iron pan with the simmering of that tomato, though :gonk:

If tomatoes gently caress up your cast iron pan you really screwed up somewhere.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

If tomatoes gently caress up your cast iron pan you really screwed up somewhere.

I've always operated under the idea that doing it once here or there won't matter but that constantly cooking acidic things will start to leech. I don't remember where that came from and haven't given it thought in a decade as its easy enough to accommodate.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I've always operated under the idea that doing it once here or there won't matter but that constantly cooking acidic things will start to leech. I don't remember where that came from and haven't given it thought in a decade as its easy enough to accommodate.

I guess it depends on your definition of once here or there and constantly. You prob shouldn't be boiling vinegar or cook a tomato sauce for 8 hours, but making shakshuka even a couple times a week, every week should not dent the seasoning on your pan.

A lot of people mention a metallic aftertaste when cooking something for a long time, but I haven't noticed it myself.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 15, 2021

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.
the leeching can also be a good thing, iirc, I'm pretty anemic and have often been told to use a cast-iron pan for cooking so that I can absorb some of its power

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The only other thing I'm regularly using it for is budgetbytes-style dragon noodles so if it's dying it's probably doing so very very slowly, even with my kitchen skills.
May very well try shaksuka again on my own time though. When I was little I absolutely hated tomatoes and peppers, but I've come around more every year since, and this was bone-deep satisfying. Going to use more garlic next time, and I definitely need to get a better grasp on the cooking time for the eggs - the yolks were firmed by the time they were done.
Also it turned out crushing whole canned tomatoes with your bare hands is incredibly satisfying so there's another reason to go back for more.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

Not expecting anything to happen to the pan, but it will remove seasoning even if simmering for a few minutes, I'd just use a nonstick for that

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ogarza posted:

Not expecting anything to happen to the pan, but it will remove seasoning even if simmering for a few minutes, I'd just use a nonstick for that

:thunk: How acidic is your tomato sauce to remove seasoning in a few minutes?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

My wife and I got COVID :toot:

A heavy lunch bothered our stomachs so we tried going a little more bland for dinner. Just made a big pot of chicken and rice. Threw in some parsley and spinach for a few extra vitamins. My wife says it tastes really good, but I can’t taste poo poo.

Sorry about the 'vid :(

But goddamn it's incredible that you can make something as simple as chicken and rice look real drat good.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Fartington Butts posted:

Sorry about the 'vid :(

But goddamn it's incredible that you can make something as simple as chicken and rice look real drat good.

Thanks. So many dishes look a million times better just by adding a little green to them. If you ever think something is looking bland, try adding some chopped parsley or spinach. It instantly helps.

We seem to be on he mend *knock on wood*

I work from home so my wife must have picked it up from one of her kids at the daycare she works at.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

ogarza posted:

That's... not quite right. Tomatoes aren't great, but as long as you clean your pan straight after cooking you'll be fine.

I've been keeping busy to push some poo poo out my head.

Like chicken wings.

Mushroom risotto, with crispy chicken skin and king oyster mushroom.

And then arancini with the leftovers.

And an Asian-inspired black beef curry, made with black sesame, soy, fish sauce, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, fennel, ginger, garlic, chilli, palm sugar and coconut.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
tonight was tom kha gai with chicken and mushrooms!

homemade veggie broth with red curry paste, shallot, ginger, red chiles, lemongrass, fish sauce

mushrooms, chicken, salt, pepper and coconut milk in

lime zest and juice in, served over rice with cilantro

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Sous vide ribeye strip steak and a baked potato. The notable elements are the parsley and (not pictured) the green onions for the potato and thyme for the butter baste, all 3 of which were home grown in my tiny garden. Fresh herbs make everything taste so fresh and bright and I love it and regret not growing my own sooner. Although everything was a *tad* too salty because I unearthed a bag of Japanese sea salt in the back of a cabinet and miiight have overdone it a bit.

CaptainCrunch fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 18, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I don't feel like parsley has ever added anything to any dish I've made or eaten. I'm not hating on your steak (though you are missing the sliced pics), I just don't understand what the point of parsley even is. Am I like those weirdos who don't like cilantro?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
It was in the seed pack I got so I gave it a try. In restaurants I just ignored it. For this I had bits with slices of the steak and it brightened up the flavors a bit. Fun variety for me at least.
Apologies for not slicing the steak for y’all. Was hungry and just dove in.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Inspector 34 posted:

I don't feel like parsley has ever added anything to any dish I've made or eaten. I'm not hating on your steak (though you are missing the sliced pics), I just don't understand what the point of parsley even is. Am I like those weirdos who don't like cilantro?

If you mean a sprinkle, agreed. It’s good as a salad, in hot or cold soups, deep fried as a garnish and (my personal favourite) in a sauce for gammon or ham. The key is quantity, you need a lot to really get into the taste. A sprinkle or a sprig is just eh (no offense).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

Try tabbouleh. The proper stuff not store-bought that's 90% bulgur wheat.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I use a lot of parsley. It’s perfect as anything from a garnish on pasta or a straight up main ingredient in tabouli. You can use it in so much I just instinctively keep it around and never regret adding it to anything.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

A friend served me fried chicken with fried parsley as garnish and it was a pretty good complement to the chicken.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Parsley is good to munch on to freshen your breath. That's a old waiter trick.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Parsley is good to munch on to freshen your breath. That's a old waiter trick.

but then you get some stuck in your teeth, and people see it!

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Every time I've made something that called for fresh parsley my first reaction is always "I wish I'd left the parsley off." I'm just not picking up what everyone else is putting down here. And I'm someone that likes cilantro.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Fried parsley? Ok, I’m noting that down for later when the lil plant can spare more than a sprig! Thanks.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

You have to get flat parsley for eating though. Curly parsley is stupid and useless.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah definitely not a big fan of curly.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
As a big fan of parsley curly parsley can go gently caress itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Except for frying.