Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Suicide Watch posted:

This was the Silver Peak/Billy's Peak area near the Bradley Hut (which was closed)

We brought a tent so we could set up camp in the forest, then I had my stove and sleeping bag/pad. Maybe it was closer to 20-25lbs, but having that weight not be fully tightened/strapped down on my back really messed with my skiing

continuation of the MIT-skiers chat

ah ok, I couldn't quite place any of the terrain in the background. I've been up towards that area a couple times recently, from Pole Creek trailhead. Wednesday in the rain for the aforementioned workout with a buddy, then most recently I joined my wife for Alpenglow's Backcountry I clinic on Friday, which was up in that area though went a bit short of getting all the way up to Silver. Unsurprisingly, quite a bit snowier looking in your photos.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4616197313

https://www.strava.com/activities/4626953852

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Suicide Watch posted:

This was the Silver Peak/Billy's Peak area near the Bradley Hut (which was closed)

We brought a tent so we could set up camp in the forest, then I had my stove and sleeping bag/pad. Maybe it was closer to 20-25lbs, but having that weight not be fully tightened/strapped down on my back really messed with my skiing

continuation of the MIT-skiers chat

My first ski tour was to Peter Grubb Hut. Caught the AT bug hard after that. Fortunately did not catch hantavirus.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
They’re closing runs due to ice now. Never seen that one, but probably justified. My friend slid into a tree and broke his collarbone and dislocated his hip a couple of days ago.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moot .1415926535 posted:

They’re closing runs due to ice now. Never seen that one, but probably justified. My friend slid into a tree and broke his collarbone and dislocated his hip a couple of days ago.

That is some crazy poo poo

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Holy poo poo, that's insane.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah, but they’re so steep that if you lost your edge at any speed it’s probably impossible to self arrest. That’s what happened to him, and he was the big mountain ski coach here so not an amateur by any stretch.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

bawfuls posted:

My dad was a big proponent of the leash/harness setup for me and my brother when we were that age. My understanding is the leash lets the adult provide some of the strength and stopping power that a 3 or 4 year old lacks, while giving the kid freedom to do some edging and turning. It also gets the adult out of the way of the kid a bit compared to having them between your legs. I'm pretty sure I skied that way exclusively at ages 3 & 4.

Googling around it looks like there are other similar tools meant to achieve the same thing, like a hulahoop or this thing which looks like a more elegant solution to me.

Has this sort of thing fallen out of favor now?

No way is the harness out of favor.

I've got an almost 3y/o and I have a bunch of friends with kids around the same age (all ski town locals). Everyone has a harness/leash on their kid when they are really little. I alternate between using the leash, a pole, and having her between my legs.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

That's terrible. I hope he has a fast and full recovery. Falling on stuff too steep for self arrest without some sort of assist is the worst feeling.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Can't embed the video, but this is a dad and 12 year old daughter getting caught in an avalanche. Only a 5 cm layer of powder that breaks loose, still they had no chance to do anything. Both made it out ok, nice to hear the change of tone in his voice when he sees his daughter is safe. But that blue sky turning black mid way is pretty scary.

https://www.nrk.no/innlandet/opplevde-skredmarerittet-1.15331686

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Yuns posted:

Its like FB ads have a window into my soul

oh hell yeah

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

How are things going, ski wise, in Colorado? I just looked at Beaver Creek's website and they said their base is only 22" and that seems, like really not a lot for this far in the season? Has it been unseasonably dry or warm? Are the big resorts pretty much just doing a ton of snow making to keep all their trails open? I notice that most of the epic resorts have a lot of their trails open, so will the low amount of snow be an issue?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

IncredibleIgloo posted:

How are things going, ski wise, in Colorado? I just looked at Beaver Creek's website and they said their base is only 22" and that seems, like really not a lot for this far in the season? Has it been unseasonably dry or warm? Are the big resorts pretty much just doing a ton of snow making to keep all their trails open? I notice that most of the epic resorts have a lot of their trails open, so will the low amount of snow be an issue?

It's been super loving dry in CO. We had ok early season snow and it's been cold, so we were able to make a bunch and it hasn't melted out yet. The coverage is starting to get pretty thin, though. But at least most mountains are mostly open for the moment.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Basically no snow. It has been cold though. Hopefully we start to get something soon. Looks promising this week.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
We have a base of 38 inches in little cottonwood (ut), that's about 40% of normal. We were at 120 this time last year. It's spicy out there, learning new routes through the rocks.

As stated above, it's supposed to maybe change this coming weekend.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

IncredibleIgloo posted:

How are things going, ski wise, in Colorado?

Horrible.

I was at Breck on Friday for some afternoon laps and it was the worst conditions I have ridden in the decade I have been here.

Lack of snow and the brutal winds turned it into an ice skating rink.

Finished with 4 lift rides and got the hell off the mountain.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Well, it makes sense that when I take off work and rent a condo for a whole month it would be with the worst possible conditions. Hopefully February sees some improvement.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

We have a base of 38 inches in little cottonwood (ut), that's about 40% of normal. We were at 120 this time last year. It's spicy out there, learning new routes through the rocks.

As stated above, it's supposed to maybe change this coming weekend.

We have a base in the UP of about 6 slushy inches, we were probably at a consistent 48”+ on the ground this time last year. With just under 40” season total we’re on track to contend with the record low of 81” in 1930-31. They just closed our closest xc trails indefinitely until conditions improve.

Our trip to SLC got pushed by two weeks, here’s hoping for some big dumps both here and there.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Honestly I just hope it does. Literally no modifiers I just would like some snow

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Spime Wrangler posted:

We have a base in the UP of about 6 slushy inches, we were probably at a consistent 48”+ on the ground this time last year. With just under 40” season total we’re on track to contend with the record low of 81” in 1930-31. They just closed our closest xc trails indefinitely until conditions improve.

Our trip to SLC got pushed by two weeks, here’s hoping for some big dumps both here and there.

My longtime ski buddy is on a trip to the keweenaw right now, was gonna ski bohemia but I think he's just gonna hit Ripley now (friend patrols there.)

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Yeah there's no way bohemia is going to open anytime soon. Maybe early February if some systems start producing? There are some goods in the forecast but that's always been a lie so far this year.

Ripley is definitely faring better than most, and it sounds like your friend has good taste in friends!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah, our buddy Dave has been patrolling at Ripley for like 15 years, I've spent a lot of time there.

Definitely good people. If you see a 'Dave' patrolling there, tell him the only snowboarder he knows says hi 😉.

Amazingly lovely that Bohemia is possibly not opening at all. What a season.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Rest assured, 'Dave' will receive a mysterious message from the void.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Mr. Hookshot got a lesson in "how to snowboard when there's avalanche debris in the middle of your run" today.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Jump it.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

At least you have snow

E to expand on that, we haven't had snow in so long that the alpine in Colorado is actually becoming stable. Granted it's either wind scoured or an inch of wind crust on 6" of facets, but it's stable!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

At least you have snow

E to expand on that, we haven't had snow in so long that the alpine in Colorado is actually becoming stable. Granted it's either wind scoured or an inch of wind crust on 6" of facets, but it's stable!

Well....our rocks are usually pretty suspect so watch out for that new avalanche phenomena, the rock slide.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Fortunately we were prepared for this and already have a ski run named for it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c9gywTsih6I

MacPac
Jun 2, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Did a cool 30km xc ride with some pals this weekend.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I think I might have to check out of this thread for the rest of the season because not being able to safely ski and seeing other people doing it is bumming me the gently caress out.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Mad River was gorgeous today but you'll have to take my word for it because all the photos I took are on the cellphone that I lost when I yard-saled out in a glade.

On the plus side, I believe my binding release is set to an appropriate level, as my skis have stayed on through all kinds of bumps and jumps and small dumps, but one real WOOOOOOFUCK and off they came. Unfortunatetly my right ski is delaminating from the tip, so I'm likely looking at new skis & bindings next season (the ski shop thinks they can ghetto it fine for the rest of this year).

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Jesus christ guys can you stop talking about femur fractures? :stare:

Hopefully it snows some in Vail/Crested Butte before February/March.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Fifty Three posted:

I think I might have to check out of this thread for the rest of the season because not being able to safely ski and seeing other people doing it is bumming me the gently caress out.

I hear you on this. It would be exceptionally tough to not be close to and up in the mountains all the time for me. Even with a bad snow year I am out having fun. On the bright side at least it is a bad snow year and not missing much?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

The obvious answer. But he just went around like a loser.

Honestly I'm surprised they kept the run open, since it's stupidly labelled as a blue and always has freaking morons who don't know how to ski trying to go down it even though it is EASILY steep enough that it should be a black run based on that alone. On a busy day that run is a freaking gong show.

They did put out a sign on the way warning of avalanche debris in all alpine bowls. I thought "that's weird, they don't usually have that sign up", got to the top of the run, looked down, and went "oh yeah ok that makes sense now"

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Mad River was gorgeous today but you'll have to take my word for it because all the photos I took are on the cellphone that I lost when I yard-saled out in a glade.
Yeah, this last storm was exactly what VT needed, with a nice wet heavy snowfall that's binding perfectly with what was there to give us an actual base. Skiing at Sugarbush the last three days have been great, and it looks like the woods are open. No real new snow on the immediate forecast, but no thaw-freeze cycle which is awesome.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Someone trying to join the local buy/sell group thinking it’s a group for Kia owners

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahahahhahahahah

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Someone trying to join the local buy/sell group thinking it’s a group for Kia owners

:bisonyes:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I picked up a new pair of K2 Holgate Snowboard boots recently and wore them to the mountain for the first time yesterday.

All in all they fit well and I was pretty happy with them but the one thing that didn't feel great is that where their Conda boa retention system pulled into my ankle it definitely felt like it was pinching when the point of it is to distribute the pressure.

Wondering if anyone else has K2 boots w/ the Conda system and can speak to if this is normal or if there's anything I can do to improve it. I still need to go back to the shop to heat mold my liners and maybe get some insoles custom fit. But I'd love to not have to have bruised ankles after each time I ride.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
The touring bug bit my wife unexpectedly hard, she picked herself up a pair of Hoji boots today and is demoing some Kastle skis this weekend. I'm going to try out a splitboard when we go out Saturday.

This is (mostly) your fault, spwrozek. You and your stupid pictures.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

:perfect:

WHERE MY HAT IS AT fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

The touring bug bit my wife unexpectedly hard, she picked herself up a pair of Hoji boots today and is demoing some Kastle skis this weekend. I'm going to try out a splitboard when we go out Saturday.

This is (mostly) your fault, spwrozek. You and your stupid pictures.

:perfect:

You are welcome friend.