Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
honestly nobody actually likes toby young so how does he have any platform at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I assume his entire life is a result of his dad making phone calls to the right people

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I would encourage dissenters to stop, you know, dissenting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

just found the candidate for forkboy and gonzo

https://twitter.com/miblogestublog/status/1350832456635736066?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
priti will Bring Back the village stocks for people who disrespect the nation's heritage :nono:

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I wonder if he takes off his wrestling mask and boxing gloves before he goes to bed.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

radmonger posted:

Does anyone know on what basis the list of people to get vaccinations is compiled? Which part of the government needs to have an up-to-date contact address?

At least in London it's at the HCP level (roughly equivalent to the old NHS Regional Authority, the level of bureaucracy between trusts/CCGs and NHS England itself) but AIUI these don't actually exist in a lot of the country and it's being done by hospital trusts, CCGs, and individual GPs leading to people getting multiple invites and all sorts of other fun and games. The current priority list (in descending order) is:

Residents in care homes for older adults and their carers
80-year-olds and over and frontline health and social care workers
75-year-olds and over
70-year-olds and over and clinically extremely vulnerable individuals
65-year-olds and over
16- to 64-year-olds with serious underlying health conditions
60-year-olds and over
55-year-olds and over
50-year-olds and over

(We're currently only doing the first two groups, with the next three groups due to be done by the end of Feb - after that it all gets a bit hazy, especially as once you get past the 6th group there's much less likelihood that they'll have up-to-date contact details, there will be all sorts of issues with people finding time out of their working day, and the big one which - to my knowledge - still hasn't been answered, whether or not people who don't qualify for free prescriptions will get it for free)

To answer your actual question - it's your GP who has to have the correct details and this should be distributed to the relevant people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

honestly nobody actually likes toby young so how does he have any platform at all

~engagement~

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

It's poo poo but if it's monument trashing time then who the gently caress cares about 'the law'?

Like, I know they exist, but lol at the type of person who falls exactly between 'oh no i wouldn't ever join a protest, it's naughty' and 'smash the state, build the guillotines'. Legal revolution only.

Although yeah I worked it out as I was typing this that it's just another law to punish us because they know people will try poo poo as we get more and more desperate. Gotta keep those prisons full and the fines coming in.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
reminds me of one of alpha centauri's crazy good tech/project clips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwqN3Ur-wP0

"we must dissent. but only for one week. that's twitter's fault."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So at the moment it is legal to pull down any statues you don't like?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Private Speech posted:

As someone who really likes surface it's definitely a complex choice.

The screen is great for colour accuracy/sketching (if you get the pen) and resolution, but it's no longer incomparably ahead of others in the same price range. The form factor is likewise nice but with the massive advances in GPU performance in the last 4 years you won't be able to do much gaming on it outside of older games, unless you get the surface book which is really expensive for what you get in terms of performance (though the up-to-4k pressure sensitive touchscreen is still better than anything for comparable price, nevermind among 2-in-1s).

There is the option of gaming via geforce/ps now, which works great, but then you don't need such an expensive piece of hardware in the first place.

Also the small screen is not particularly great for coding, the resolution may be excellent but you really need the screen to be bigger to make use of it, otherwise the text is too small to read without concentrating.

YMMV it's still excellent as a cross between ipad pro and laptop. The smaller size of the pro compared to the book actually helps a lot if you want to use it as a tablet, the book is a bit too big to comfortably use that way.
I have a surface pro 3 and its okay. Windows 10 is uniquely bad at handling pen input unfortunately so theres a couple of little frustrations and annoyances that make using mine a bit of a pain. I don't have the keyboard case so this is my entirely pen driven experience:

Windows thinks it knows best what input option you want and does not offer basic configuration options for seemingly no reason.

Tap the keyboard icon with you finger, of course you want the touch keyboard thats fine. However tap it with the pen and here's a handwriting recognition pad you don't want to use. Doesn't matter if you swap to the actual keyboard everytime because you just wanted to pres ctrl or whatever if you use the pen you must want the hadwriting mode. No windows 10 doesn't care that I've been using tablet pcs since before the ipad let people know what a tablet was or how incredibly proficient I am at using the pen on the virtual keyboard it will always go to the wrong mode which may sound trivial but really fucks me off when I just want to type a letter for a keyboard shortcut the fact that this £800 (at the time) tablet can't be set not to waste my time.

Similarly the virtual keyboard is set to a limited touch friendly mode by default and you have to go into the settings to give yourself permission to use a version that actually has all the keys a keyboard has.

Frankly Windows 10 pisses me off in general, its a lovely mobile OS wrapper where you have to click though a minimalist badly organized 'settings app' to find the setting you want to change is still buried in a menu that looks like its from windows 95. Its better than 8 was just because it's doing a worse job at pretending to be a hip new mobile OS instead of creaky old windows. Don't get me started on S-Mode either, its not cool for you to turn that on for me microsoft what the gently caress.

The screen is nice and the pen input is as good as the various wacom powered tablets I've had before. The model I have has incredibly bad wifi reception though, it literally won't pick up wifi if the screen isn't directly facing my router.

Mr Phillby fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 17, 2021

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
the answer of course lies in the middle - every statue and pedestal to have a massive orange bag locked over it with the words "THIS MONUMENT IS NOT IN USE", thereby preventing defacement or removal

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

clubpenguinthatsillegal.jpg

It's nonsense, likely intended just to generate headlines, stoke the fires and distract from the piles of corpses.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Reading the article, the new law is actually about making it harder to remove statues legally by requiring "planning permission and consultation with local communities". So even if a university or council wants to take down a statue, the local gammons get a chance to object.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Bobstar posted:

I wonder if he takes off his wrestling mask and boxing gloves before he goes to bed.

Well Bobstar, do you take off your hands and face before going to bed?

But is this even unprecedented, Jesse Ventura was a US governor, just didn't come from a tradition of mask-wearing, and I feel like masked wrestlers have won office before.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Honestly all politicians should be required to wear masks, and if you want to become PM you need to unmask and kill the current incumbent on the parliamentary floor.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Mr Phillby posted:

I have a surface pro 3 and its okay. Windows 10 is uniquely bad at handling pen input unfortunately so theres a couple of little frustrations and annoyances that make using mine a bit of a pain. I don't have the keyboard case so this is my entirely pen driven experience

Yeah I've had SP 5 and now have SB 2, so I have some experience of it.

One thing I'd recommend for the touch interface is TouchZoomDesktop (replacement for the touch driver, not as necessary as it used to be since the default driver improved, but it does have some nice features like emulated mouse and universal pinch-to-zoom) and TouchMousePointer (onscreen overlays of various kinds, including things like a gaming controller and virtual touchpad, you can make new ones via the Tablet PRO Manager windows store app) by the Japanese dev SummerLoveTrue.

They are free for personal use and have no ads, but it's best to download older versions since the new ones have some features only with a paid license. Also they have basically zero footprint (like 10MB memory and 0.3% CPU if turned on).

Here's links to download the standalone (older) versions - it's fine to let them update:

TouchMousePointer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/397sij8wst80y3n/touchmousepointer2079.exe?dl=0
TouchZoomDesktop: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0q9mlylnd4cv1e8/touchzoomdesktop2079.exe?dl=0
Tablet PRO Manager: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/tablet-pro/9nblggh1rqvc?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 17, 2021

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

I've had a pro 2 and 4 for work and they've been lovely to use but their batteries stopped holding any charge after a year and aren't servicible.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I got the vaccine yesterday and so far have only experienced one symptom: an overwhelming urge to buy a Surface Pro

I got that this was a joke about Bill Gates and the 5G-Vacinations.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well Bobstar, do you take off your hands and face before going to bed?

But is this even unprecedented, Jesse Ventura was a US governor, just didn't come from a tradition of mask-wearing, and I feel like masked wrestlers have won office before.

WWE masked wrestler Kane* was elected Mayor in some American town.

*= Also he wrestled as a dentist, Isaac Yankum DDS.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Chubby Henparty posted:

I've had a pro 2 and 4 for work and they've been lovely to use but their batteries stopped holding any charge after a year and aren't servicible.

They are with enough gumption, but it's really easy to crack the screen when you do. I've had it serviced in a PC repair place and it was fine and fairly affordable, but YMMV.

It's basically the same as your modern smartphone or whatever in terms of difficulty.

Youtube instructionals
Replacement battery

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 17, 2021

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Regarde Aduck posted:

It's poo poo but if it's monument trashing time then who the gently caress cares about 'the law'?

Like, I know they exist, but lol at the type of person who falls exactly between 'oh no i wouldn't ever join a protest, it's naughty' and 'smash the state, build the guillotines'. Legal revolution only.

Although yeah I worked it out as I was typing this that it's just another law to punish us because they know people will try poo poo as we get more and more desperate. Gotta keep those prisons full and the fines coming in.
To me it reads less a law aimed at protestors and more at tying the hands of councils, property owners and such who want to remove statues they currently have the right to remove.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/weemoxy1/status/1350558671282053123?s=21

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

What's his stance on Dr's who are also psycho clowns?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Private Speech posted:

They are with enough gumption, but it's really easy to crack the screen when you do. I've had it serviced in a PC repair place and it was fine and fairly affordable, but YMMV.

It's basically the same as your modern smartphone or whatever in terms of difficulty.

Neat, if only work would sell it for cheap now it's depreciated instead of paying more to have it security shredded or whathaveyou

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I do a lot of surveys online because I am poor and need the £££ they give me.

I will always be upset when they ask where I am on the political line and left = left/liberal.

I dislike Liberals and think they should gently caress off and die, but maybe the answer lies somewhere in the middle.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Gonzo McFee posted:

What's his stance on Dr's who are also psycho clowns?

Very pro. Vote Blue Demon Jr, Deputy Mayor Psycho Clown

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
sadly Dr Wagner Jr has withdrawn from the race after evidence of historical antisemitism surfaced

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

sadly Dr Wagner Jr has withdrawn from the race after evidence of historical antisemitism surfaced

Favourite luchawiki fact, a luchadore called El Israelita debuted in 1972 in the same class as a luchadore called Hitler.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I keep just thinking back to the MST3K episode with Samson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCqU9iTms14

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I keep just thinking back to the MST3K episode with Samson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCqU9iTms14

An all-time great, if only for the big man's grand entrance. The Quality Street advert party and Halloween decoration "special effects" are just icing on the cake.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

This seems to be more targeted at councils and institutions tbh - forces a requirement for planning permission and community consultation for any 'historic' but unlisted statues to be removed with the secretary being given final veto power over local authorities. It's not just statues but also road name changes (obviously we the reaction to angry gammon noises over the Havelock Road renaming) requiring support from a super majority of residents

Less about stopping angry mobs and more about hobbling any councils trying to do things the Tories don't like

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An all-time great, if only for the big man's grand entrance. The Quality Street advert party and Halloween decoration "special effects" are just icing on the cake.

"I fell sort of silly right now, did I over dress?"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jose posted:

he literally got banned from the set of the big budget hollywood movie based on his memoirs of being an intolerable arsehole for being too much of an arsehole

it's like the conservative press think he's playing a character but no, he really is just alan partridge turned up to 11

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Convex posted:

he literally got banned from the set of the big budget hollywood movie based on his memoirs of being an intolerable arsehole for being too much of an arsehole

it's like the conservative press think he's playing a character but no, he really is just alan partridge turned up to 11

How did that even get made? :psyduck:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stev posted:

How did that even get made? :psyduck:

by changing everything about the main character

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Citation... Requested?!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the film does have this bit of simon pegg looking like he's just learned the threesome he's going to be involved in will heavily involve his name

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Memoirs of his life made into a movie 20 years ago, must be due a sequel, "How to be a lying shitbird and kill thousands?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

Citation... Requested?!

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a129339/young-dunst-had-me-banned-from-set/

quote:

How To Lose Friends & Alienate People author Toby Young has said Kirsten Dunst had him banned from the set of the movie.

The writer's 2001 book is being adapted into a film starring Dunst, Simon Pegg and Jeff Bridges.

Commenting on his relationship with the cast, Young told The Spectator: "[Dunst] overheard me giving the producer a 'note' on her performance in a particular scene.

"At the time, I didn't think of it as a criticism, more as a helpful bit of advice, and the producer took it in that spirit. But Kirsten overheard this exchange and interpreted it as a complaint about her acting ability.

"It was after this, apparently, that she took Bob [Weide, director] to one side and asked if I could be kept at arm's length in future."

Fittingly enough, it was directed by the same person as Curb Your Enthusiasm :v:

Convex fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 17, 2021