Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Does Wrestling Empire actually 'work' as a game or is it just waiting to see which train wreck hits you? Because I remember the first being more of a barely-functional spectacle than a video game.

It plays better than the 2K games. It’s janky but always entertaining, and some of the bumps are frankly awesome like monkey flipping a dude out of the ring onto the steel steps or through an announce table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also you don't have like two thousand slots for moves so customization is quicker, and you can even chain moves together (going from a snapmare into a seated sleeper hold for example)

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
"MDickie game on the Switch with good framerate" is an instant-buy for me, even though it'll be better on the PC with modability.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

ChrisBTY posted:

Does Wrestling Empire actually 'work' as a game or is it just waiting to see which train wreck hits you? Because I remember the first being more of a barely-functional spectacle than a video game.

despite all the memes about it, it genuinely does have the best wrestling career mode ever and is genuinely fun to play.

it has its jank but it genuinely is a very good game.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

I love how much of a clusterfuck battle royals are with a legit 30 people in the ring

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

ChrisBTY posted:

It's very fun to play, and to me it's on the level of the N64 games I played as a kid made by syn Sophia/AKI. The UI is clunky and could use a lot of work, but being a completely one man show I can forgive it for that because of how fun the wrestling is to play and watch.

A future PC version would obviously be better for the ability to smooth out the rough edges with modding, but I picked it up on Switch so that eventually when I can go to my friends places again I can just bring my Switch with me and we can relive the good ol' days of renting WCW vs NWO.

deej
May 29, 2003

hibjibbity
Mdickie’s new nightmare is out on iOS now also

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/wrestling-empire/id1543750891

Free but 3.99 a year subscription for the pro version

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There's also a pre-registration page for the Android version.

ftwtom
Feb 7, 2001

Wrestling Empire on Switch is janky and sometimes frustrating and a whole lot of goddam fun. I'm into the second year of career mode and Jake Obscene (Justin Credible) is my tag team partner. He has problems and keeps coming to me asking for money, and my guy got a whole shitload of money in his last contract so I keep giving it to him. I hope he's using it for drugs and we get an overdose storyline.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I remember new legacy was doing a stream and wrestler “Needles“ died of a drug overdose. They did not act very surprised

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If anyone else is like me and wants to rename all the wrestlers to their actual names, you can plug in a USB keyboard to the Switch dock and it works perfectly to type in the names.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ftwtom posted:

Wrestling Empire on Switch is janky and sometimes frustrating and a whole lot of goddam fun. I'm into the second year of career mode and Jake Obscene (Justin Credible) is my tag team partner. He has problems and keeps coming to me asking for money, and my guy got a whole shitload of money in his last contract so I keep giving it to him. I hope he's using it for drugs and we get an overdose storyline.

in my game two wrestlers committed suicide in the past two weeks

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

CVagts posted:

If anyone else is like me and wants to rename all the wrestlers to their actual names, you can plug in a USB keyboard to the Switch dock and it works perfectly to type in the names.

Holy poo poo, timesaver

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Weedle posted:

in my game two wrestlers committed suicide in the past two weeks

My character did this once to end my game out of the blue.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

CVagts posted:

But the best part of the MDickie game experience is the MDickie Names like Huge Jazz, his father Obelisk, and Bang Bang (with his famous catch phrase of "Cactus Jack!")

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i am still amazed that a game in that series could run on the switch

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

karmicknight posted:

But the best part of the MDickie game experience is the MDickie Names like Huge Jazz, his father Obelisk, and Bang Bang (with his famous catch phrase of "Cactus Jack!")

Kidd R-Truth, R-Truth's kid who looks older than him

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Cavauro posted:

Same especially with like 30 people in ring at once

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

karmicknight posted:

Pity about "Ghetto Child" though :ohno:

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I think my favorite MDickie names from my initial batch of wrestlers were "Money Mark" for Tony Khan and "Comic Connie" for AJ Lee

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

So far yeah the port is pretty solid. The game always looked unplayable to me in terms of speed but in practice, I mean it's slow and janky but not bad.

deej
May 29, 2003

hibjibbity

Maxwell Lord posted:

So far yeah the port is pretty solid. The game always looked unplayable to me in terms of speed but in practice, I mean it's slow and janky but not bad.

The problem with these games is they don’t play like a wrestling match - they play like two guys getting tired and falling over a bunch after 2 mins. The reversal stuff and the way moves sometimes randomly link is great, the depth of the campaign is awesome, but the matches just slow down the longer they go on and then someone screams and taps to a hammerlock.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

If you just rapidly kick the poo poo out of your opponent they cannot get up and you will be able to the. subdue them with a powerbomb or piledriver

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

deej posted:

The problem with these games is they don’t play like a wrestling match - they play like two guys getting tired and falling over a bunch after 2 mins. The reversal stuff and the way moves sometimes randomly link is great, the depth of the campaign is awesome, but the matches just slow down the longer they go on and then someone screams and taps to a hammerlock.

It was much worse in Wrestling Revolution 3d, nobody sold a drat thing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
One thing the tutorial does not actually get into- how do you fight out of pins and submissions? I'm just hitting every button and it seemed to work but I'm wondering if there's something more to it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

One thing the tutorial does not actually get into- how do you fight out of pins and submissions? I'm just hitting every button and it seemed to work but I'm wondering if there's something more to it.

mash attack (Y), i think

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

CVagts posted:

I hadn't even thought of renaming them all, but hot drat that's a great idea

I also think I've landed on just streaming Wrestling Empire as like a post-Dynamite thing on Wednesdays, in case anyone is interested in following the continuing adventures of Thrash Huxley Jr. and his dumbass tag team partner that went and injured himself by doing a 450 off the apron onto literally nobody.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the injury sound in wrestling empire really does rule. HUAAAAGGGHHH

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is there a way to start career mode over? I can’t figure it out. I want to pick a different dude.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
You can hold the B button to retire and either restore the default roster or start with the current state of things. If you modified anyone, they’d be defaulted as well though. Had to remake my custom wrestler after it turned them back into Newbie Nate.

Antitonic fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 18, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
The Lance Archer lookalike (I think) managed to trip onto the announce table and break it during his entrance. Later he threw a dynamite stick at them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cavauro posted:

From the sounds of things the whole thing was rewritten in Unity, an actual modern game engine (Same one that was used for Fire Pro World!) as opposed to the old 3D games' Blitz Basic mess that doesn't deal with modern systems well, or the recently-killed-off Flash used in the mobile games... That might mean that proper mod support for the eventual PC version might require some Fire Pro-style wrangling, though.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

deej posted:

I liked the description I heard of it being like playing with wrestling action figures, where you laboriously position everything while doing the sweet moves you saw on the teevee. The way you describe it as two exhausted dudes trying to fight made me think of the fight scene from They Live and now I imagine every match is playing out like that.

Y'know what, that would be a perfect game type for that engine. Put on the glasses!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

how often are yall training in wrestling empire? I never seem to have time or enough surplus stamina to use it on training and everyone i’m fighting has higher stats than me. should i just spend all my stamina training and expect to eat poo poo in the next match?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Usually just on weeks off or if I have a full bar and the opponent I'm facing that week doesn't so I burn up enough to be at around the same health. You can check your opponent's stats by holding the X button on the menu screen, the stats on the top right corner of the screen will switch from yours to theirs.

Also, there's always steroids.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
The training is worse now, I think. One stat will go up, and two or three will go down. I can’t recall if it acted the same in the older games, but it’s a real pain to maintain a positive training session without exhausting yourself.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

A-Train is called Willy Pearce, 10 on 10 game of the year

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Testekill posted:

A-Train is called Willy Pearce, 10 on 10 game of the year
lmao

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Antitonic posted:

The training is worse now, I think. One stat will go up, and two or three will go down. I can’t recall if it acted the same in the older games, but it’s a real pain to maintain a positive training session without exhausting yourself.

It didn't act that way in older games, you'dalways gain in stats without sacrificing others. I can't really see how one makes any sort of progress in stat increases without steroids in the game (social commentary ha)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Angry_Ed posted:

It didn't act that way in older games, you'dalways gain in stats without sacrificing others. I can't really see how one makes any sort of progress in stat increases without steroids in the game (social commentary ha)

It’s an incredible juggling act. I usually tap the button on the stat I want boosted, and watch the others. As soon as they go down, you can bump them straight back up without too much loss. Prioritising recovering loss over focusing on gains is probably a super-inefficient method, but it works for me. I’ve got 75 in everything except Agility, which is 80.