Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
That video opened my eyes as well. I have a ton of pods but bought some detergent for the prewash and yeah, it makes a difference.

Once I go through these pods, I'll go exclusively to liquid detergent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cheesus posted:

That video opened my eyes as well. I have a ton of pods but bought some detergent for the prewash and yeah, it makes a difference.

Once I go through these pods, I'll go exclusively to liquid detergent.

This is my plan as well

That YouTube channel is great for random info about a lot of electronics by the way

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

whos that broooown posted:

I did a test run today, no actual cooking.

It was tough for me to light since I have no experience without a chimney starter. My normal newspaper was a huge failure and produced a shitton of ash. I finally got the thing going with some cotton balls soaked in petroleum jelly, but buying a Firestarter would probably be a lot easier.

Once I got it going it was pretty easy, just keep adding wood/charcoal in small amounts. I had some hickory chunks, and it seemed to work well. It gets hot as poo poo. I'd recommend getting an infrared thermometer.

I'll let you know when I actually cook a pizza, but the weather is going to be poo poo for next couple days.

Update on the Ooni Karu.

It owns pretty hard.

Well worth the money if you have outdoor space, imo.

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Anyone have any good leads on Etsy seamstresses that sell aprons and cooking jackets? Looking for something fitted with pockets.

https://www.bbandida.com/aprons

I have nothing to compare her work to but here is a friend of mine. She also has an Etsy shop but figured this link actually talks about aprons. Her work seems pretty great to me.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Anyone have any good leads on Etsy seamstresses that sell aprons and cooking jackets? Looking for something fitted with pockets.

Does it have to be on Etsy?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I started using two dishwasher pods after watching that video a week or so ago and my poo poo still comes out dirty if I don't scrub it first. Hell, I've had cheese get blasted off a casserole dish and get baked onto glassware. (no, nothing was facing up and there is no screen/filter to clean).

Pretty sure I just need a new dishwasher.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is like a window into another world. I haven't hand-washed anything in 20 years because if something isn't dishwasher safe I don't buy it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Canuck-Errant posted:

Does it have to be on Etsy?

No I just want to buy directly from someone if possible.

Niyqor posted:

https://www.bbandida.com/aprons

I have nothing to compare her work to but here is a friend of mine. She also has an Etsy shop but figured this link actually talks about aprons. Her work seems pretty great to me.

Cool I'll check it out!

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone used the Anova Precision Oven? I have one shipping on the 20th ... likely to arrive around the 23rd. If not, I'd be happy to share my experience with it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
i cant believe they made it like 1 inch too narrow to take a half sheet

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sry guys this sale is for ~*~*~VIPS LIKE ME ONLY~*~*~ :smug:

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

xtal posted:

This thread is like a window into another world. I haven't hand-washed anything in 20 years because if something isn't dishwasher safe I don't buy it.

Ditto, the only exception being my knives.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Any suggestions for an approximately 10 inch nonstick pan for sauteeing and general cookery? I have a smaller caphalon I like but MY GIRLFRIEND wants a larger pan and hates cooking with my 12 inch cast iron.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

bartlebee posted:

Any suggestions for an approximately 10 inch nonstick pan for sauteeing and general cookery? I have a smaller caphalon I like but MY GIRLFRIEND wants a larger pan and hates cooking with my 12 inch cast iron.

Tramontina Professional Fusion Fry Pan, 10-Inch, Satin Finish, Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VUYT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_pA4bGb6YECS88?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
If you're lucky enough to have a costco business center near you, you can get a dual pack of tramontina 10" non stick pans for like $20

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
My Kitchenaid Artisan mixer squeaks to varying degrees when I run it. It's pretty annoying, and ranges to "meh" to "what the hell is that noise are you killing a small animal"

Is there a guide on maintenance for it, or do I need to get it serviced?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Try this:

https://eskild.wordpress.com/2011/10/28/how-to-make-a-kitchenaid-artisan-mixer-stop-squeaking/

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

My Kitchenaid Artisan mixer squeaks to varying degrees when I run it. It's pretty annoying, and ranges to "meh" to "what the hell is that noise are you killing a small animal"

Is there a guide on maintenance for it, or do I need to get it serviced?

There are a lot of guides on servicing them (repacking with grease, cleaning) on youtube. It doesn't look too hard but it's tough to say what might be the problem.

Does the head spin at a regular rate or does it wax and wane with the weird sounds? You can always replace the brushes very cheaply with aftermarket ones (this is an extremely quick, easy, cheap job) to see if that helps but it's probably not the problem.

The pasta extruders we've been whining about in this thread for the last few pages absolutely gently caress kitchenaid mixers to death, since I had one bad time with it my baseline mixer has been a bit irregular in it's rotation with a very slight whine. Whoops!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Thanks I'll check

VelociBacon posted:

There are a lot of guides on servicing them (repacking with grease, cleaning) on youtube. It doesn't look too hard but it's tough to say what might be the problem.

Does the head spin at a regular rate or does it wax and wane with the weird sounds? You can always replace the brushes very cheaply with aftermarket ones (this is an extremely quick, easy, cheap job) to see if that helps but it's probably not the problem.

The pasta extruders we've been whining about in this thread for the last few pages absolutely gently caress kitchenaid mixers to death, since I had one bad time with it my baseline mixer has been a bit irregular in it's rotation with a very slight whine. Whoops!

I don't even own attachments, I'm just making cookies and banana bread and stuff.

It's squeaking like it needs to be oiled, but it mixes stuff fine.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008

1redflag posted:

Tramontina Professional Fusion Fry Pan, 10-Inch, Satin Finish, Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N8VUYT4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_pA4bGb6YECS88?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you both, the Tramontina looks like a solid choice. I'll see what she thinks. Thanks again!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Delta-Wye posted:

if u dont grease ur burner, ur pan will stick

:hmmyes:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Anyone got a tested and trusted vacuum sealer bag roll they wanna recommend? I’ve been getting generics but it looks like a zillion new ones popped up and they have lots of complaints about lower quality

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
they're not in production any more but ive gotten a decade of use out of my V2222 food saver with no issues

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOOD-SAVER...1EAAOSwoWdgCagO

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I think he’s just looking for the bags, not the vacuum unit itself

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone got a tested and trusted vacuum sealer bag roll they wanna recommend? I’ve been getting generics but it looks like a zillion new ones popped up and they have lots of complaints about lower quality

These have been working fine for me.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CQ8IXIK/

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

1redflag posted:

I think he’s just looking for the bags, not the vacuum unit itself

ah whoops!

I've been using "simple housewear" brand with no issues since this summer

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Looking for a pasta roller recommendation...

I’ve had the metal Kitchenaid set (roller, fettuccine and spaghetti) for probably 5 years now and it has worked great up until the last 6 months. Between being hard to clean and a few cracks in the roller, I’m looking to replace the set or get something new. Should I stick with the Kitchenaid set and just get a replacement, or look at something like the Marcato Atlas 150?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

i have had both a marcato atlas & the kitchenaid attachment and i prefer the marcato frankly

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Hauki posted:

i have had both a marcato atlas & the kitchenaid attachment and i prefer the marcato frankly

I’m leaning towards that. Can you elaborate a little on what you like more about it? Also, should get any specific attachments or anything like that? Thanks!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Random Hero posted:

I’m leaning towards that. Can you elaborate a little on what you like more about it? Also, should get any specific attachments or anything like that? Thanks!

Unless you're getting the KA as a gift, its not worth the $$.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I have an Imperia dal 1932 that I share with my brother and it's a workhorse. Easy to clean too.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Nephzinho posted:

Unless you're getting the KA as a gift, its not worth the $$.

I have a KA Mixer and while it worked pretty well for me for a years, it's a little cumbersome to get out to make some pasta. I guess the motorized functionality is nice but I'm guessing the hand crank on something like the Marcato Atlas is still pretty easy to use.

I have an Imperia dal 1932 that I share with my brother and it's a workhorse. Easy to clean too.

Thanks. Easy to clean is definitely something I'll look for because the KA steel attachments are fairly quick to rust and it's pretty easy for pasta to get stuck in the attachments.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've happily used a Marcato Atlas to supervise 8-year-olds making pasta and cleaning up after, as well as using it a fair bit myself, and I'd recommend it greatly. Let pasta debris get dry, scrub with a (dedicated) toothbrush while spinning the handle, put it away.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Only real downside to hand cranks is going to be if you're trying to make pasta yourself and realize you're a hand short.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Nephzinho posted:

Only real downside to hand cranks is going to be if you're trying to make pasta yourself and realize you're a hand short.

Would having the hand crank up against the edge of a table and a chair with a big bowl underneath help in a case like this

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It might be a good failsafe, but imo it needs more support than that. It's not just about the final pass where it turns into strands, it's about all the passes where it's a sheet getting thinner and thinner.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My KA pasta roller fucks with my pasta for some reason, tears it like hell. The Atlas works much better even if it requires elbow grease. I don't quite understand it since afaict it's the same mechanism, just one is powered by a motor, but there you have it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nobody is going to skip buying a kitchen aid mixer because the pasta attachment sucks, but nobody would buy the Atlas if it were lame. Different motivations in terms of design quality.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

AnonSpore posted:

My KA pasta roller fucks with my pasta for some reason, tears it like hell. The Atlas works much better even if it requires elbow grease. I don't quite understand it since afaict it's the same mechanism, just one is powered by a motor, but there you have it.

This is another reason I'm leaning towards the Atlas. The KA started off ok, but I've had to be very careful with it lately to keep it from feeding the sheets through crooked or pulling the sheets to one side and then tearing it. Ok, I'm pretty set on the Atlas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

AnonSpore posted:

Something something torque.