Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Had a little lol moment in the shower as I remembered reading The Fountainhead over summer before tenth grade, where as I was reading it I immediately pegged Dominique as Ayn Rand's author insert even before the scene with Roark where he sexually assaults her.

I remember clearly being loving annoyed by having to read the book, despite the fact that, being a fourteen-year-old reading it while attending summer Latin classes at a Jesuit university, I was clearly the ideal target demographic for objectivism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Djeser posted:

Had a little lol moment in the shower as I remembered reading The Fountainhead over summer before tenth grade, where as I was reading it I immediately pegged Dominique as Ayn Rand's author insert even before the scene with Roark where he sexually assaults her.

I remember clearly being loving annoyed by having to read the book, despite the fact that, being a fourteen-year-old reading it while attending summer Latin classes at a Jesuit university, I was clearly the ideal target demographic for objectivism.
The professor for my 300-level English literature course was a towering English man with fantastically English teeth, and I got to see him make a very English face when the girl in front of me said that her favorite book was The Fountainhead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sisal Two-Step posted:

These tweets are my favourite brand of baby brain YA author takes. I think the most recent dust-up is when some author claimed that getting The Odyssey removed from the curriculum was a win because it's.... a novel about men I guess? Not enough diversity? The portrayal of Circe is reductive towards women??? idk.

*Yes, I know it's not technically a novel but ykwim.

Please find this so I can be see what their reasoning is (and also be mad at them). I love the Iliad and the Oddyssey.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Unfortunately, it seems like there's some kind of fandom dust-up around the definition of fanfic so looking up "The Odyssey" on twitter right now returns a lot of takes about how it's fanfic.

I did see this though:

e: found an article about the incident!
e2: my mistake, it wasn't a YA author but a teacher. Yikes.

Sisal Two-Step has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Jan 17, 2021

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
There's a difference between not studying a book and removing it from libraries. Who decides what books you study, in your limited time? And you're trying to find the intersection between books people want to read and books people should read (if there is such a thing, and I think there is. Populating that list is an exercise left to the reader.)

Isn't the modern concept of fanfic an artifact of modern copyright law? Were people doing knockoff Shakespeare plays? Did Charles Dickens file cease and desists?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean it’s more to do with cometcialization and the fact more people can read and write. Most fan fic was religious in nature because everyone knew those stories. They were universal

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it’s more to do with cometcialization and the fact more people can read and write. Most fan fic was religious in nature because everyone knew those stories. They were universal
Please do not conflate millennia-old and "universal" religious and cultural traditions with fandoms for corporately owned intellectual properties, thanks.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I prefer to be accurate so I shall not, even if your condescending tone is appealing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Please do not conflate millennia-old and "universal" religious and cultural traditions with fandoms for corporately owned intellectual properties, thanks.

Thank you.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Djeser posted:

High school literature courses suck absolute rear end but that's because they're taught terribly. The books themselves are actually generally okay and the reason why the selections skew weirdly is frequently because they have to appeal to demands from anxious conservative parents worried that if you have a book where someone says "maybe society is hosed up somewhat" their precious Thurston might not want to say a prayer before dinner every night, so teachers have to stick to things which are protected by nature of being "classics".

literature curricula are hosed up enough that you don't need to invent weird hypotheticals about how Great Gatsby is about how Jay is cool and good
I always wonder how regional this is. I went to school in Houston, which was probably at least somewhat conservative, and we had the same "recommended summer reading! may be on the test!" list for like four years straight, which were clearly divisible into "Historical African-American novel," "Historical novel centering non-AA minority group," "the Holocaust," and "dystopian political fiction".

Then again perhaps that was supposed to be the "corrective," but I remember we did often use those books in the actual classes. The main addition was Huck Finn, and you can imagine how that all went.

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
How would you characterize the Devine Comedy or Paradise Lost, if not as biblical fanfiction? gently caress, Dante even has self inserts and Mary Sues.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

What is Thor classified as?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Byzantine posted:

What is Thor classified as?

dogshit

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Mr. Sunshine posted:

How would you characterize the Devine Comedy or Paradise Lost, if not as biblical fanfiction? gently caress, Dante even has self inserts and Mary Sues.
They're religious. Dante and Milton weren't in the Bible fandom; they were Christians. Christ, what a sad way to look at the world.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Thinking about all the Australian aborigines' fic in the Dreamtime fandom because I cannot comprehend a spiritual pursuit or cultural bond higher than enjoying Content.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Mr. Sunshine posted:

I feel like fanfic is a thing that very much relates to how people relate to art in the current capitalist society we live in and doesn't make sense to apply to a society where "intellectual property" would have been a contradiction in terms.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Actually writing an allegorical work building upon the universal canonical language of the culture of the time, on the stories that formed the moral and spiritual foundation of the society of the era, thus contributing to the evolution of the ongoing social discourse through prose is the same thing as my Sonic fanfiction, or probably actually not as good, to be honest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

How do King Arthur, Robin Hood, etc relate to this? They've had plenty of new stories written by people inspired by the older ones. You could reasonably call pretty much any story of them fanfiction.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Derivative fiction isn't new, but to consider anything - without qualifications - that continues some established tradition to be "fanfiction" is a galaxy brained take. Especially in a broader historical horizon, when the function of literature was different than it is today, and the concepts of genres and the discrete nature of individual works were completely alien to ours, and kept transforming throughout the given time frame.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 00:06 on Jan 18, 2021

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Tenebrais posted:

How do King Arthur, Robin Hood, etc relate to this? They've had plenty of new stories written by people inspired by the older ones. You could reasonably call pretty much any story of them fanfiction.
It can be. Fanfiction is definitionally the product of fandom. Someone writing a King Arthur story in 2021 is not coming from the same place as Geoffrey of Monmouth or Thomas Malory and is probably writing fanfiction.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

No, it's that they're ALL terrible people.

They were all rich, yes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

steinrokkan posted:

Derivative fiction isn't new, but to consider anything - without qualifications - that continues some established tradition to be "fanfiction" is a galaxy brained take. Especially in a broader historical horizon, when the function of literature was different than it is today, and the concepts of genres and the discrete nature of individual works were completely alien to ours, and kept transforming throughout the given time frame.

I will take the stance that the Gnostic Gospels are fanfiction, and continue treating them with contempt

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Thinking about my favourite entries to the Bible Cinematic Universe The Passion of the Christ and It's a Wonderful Life.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Someone writing a King Arthur story in 2021 is not coming from the same place as Geoffrey of Monmouth or Thomas Malory and is probably writing fanfiction.

So Botticelli's The Birth of Venus is fanart, since it was created a thousand years after people stopped believing in Venus.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I'm not pretending anything. I am sincerely disgusted by whatever capitalist brain poisoning has convinced thousands that a market sector defined by its adherence to an eighth-grade reading level and obsessed with formula is not only the most valid space for women as writers but more valid as writing than books written for adults even by women. It's a transparent co-opting of social justice as a marketing hook.

I get it. You're too good to read children's books, and also still struggling with the inherent misogyny that there's something demeaning about childcare an everything relate to it. So instead of coming to the natural conclusion that the only shameful thing is publishers pigeonholing women into certain child and women relate genres, you've decided the genres themselves are the problem. Its women writing an reading YA that are the real villains, letting capitol tell them what they should like instead of being totally cool an woke like me and avoiding anything to do with children. You don't see men reading a bunch of YA (because publishers put those books in with regular genre fiction; they're written at the exact same level and just have different formatting) so naturally it's women infantalizing themselves that are the problem, rather than arbitrary publishing categories reinforcing that image.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
My favorite part of this past Christmas was reading Kate Beaton's wonderful picture book The Princess and the Pony to my niece, but sure, I only have a problem with people on Twitter telling me how feminist it is to read Crown of Bones (book one of the Amassia series) instead of the Brontë sisters because I hate women and children.

Edit: The other thing is that nobody is arguing that Warhammer books need to replace The Odyssey in school curricula.

Sham bam bamina! has a new favorite as of 00:41 on Jan 18, 2021

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Thinking about all the Australian aborigines' fic in the Dreamtime fandom because I cannot comprehend a spiritual pursuit or cultural bond higher than enjoying Content.

Is this as an aside where I can moan about how much I hate the title 'content creator'?

Like just call yourself an artist or videographer or poet or hell, streamer, entertainer, online show host whatever. It just belies totally the wrong approch; hmm yes consume content, shovel it into my waiting maw.

Can't wait for sweet content drops from my fav creators Keats, van Gogh, Homer

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Crown of Bones (book one of the Amassia series)

If anyone was wondering whether this is real, welp:

quote:

Raise. Your. Phantom.

For fans of epic fantasies and sweeping adventures, this ensemble cast will immerse you in a world of unique magic, breathtaking action and unforgettable characters.

In a world on the brink of the next Great Dying, no amount of training can prepare us for what is to come …

A young heir will raise the most powerful phantom in all of Baiseen.

A dangerous High Savant will do anything to control the nine realms.

A mysterious and deadly Mar race will steal children into the sea.

And a handsome guide with far too many secrets will make me fall in love.

My name is Ash. A lowly scribe meant to observe and record. And yet I think I’m destined to surprise us all.

What do any of these things have to do with each other? What does any of this convey, besides that epic-fantasy-type events will occur, and the unremarkable narrator will somehow be the specialest of all? At least #raiseyourphantom is hashtag-ready, whatever the hell it means.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think some people in this thread aren't actually talking to each other, but are instead still arguing in their heads with some rear end in a top hat they saw on twitter last week

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Byzantine posted:

So Botticelli's The Birth of Venus is fanart, since it was created a thousand years after people stopped believing in Venus.
No, because the concept of fandom can inform a 21st-century author but is not applicable to a painter in the 15th century.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Antivehicular posted:

What do any of these things have to do with each other? What does any of this convey, besides that epic-fantasy-type events will occur, and the unremarkable narrator will somehow be the specialest of all? At least #raiseyourphantom is hashtag-ready, whatever the hell it means.

We get it, you hate women and children.

Byzantine posted:

A Deviantart commission

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

This is somewhat related, but my friend and I were chatting yesterday about Tor's new marketing push to market their books the way fanfic 'markets' itself to its audience. For example, in this review of Gideon the Ninth:

quote:

The most revealing (but also most fun) tag applicable to Gideon the Ninth is enemies to lovers. Regular readers of stories with the sort of energetic, combative, “toss the two hand-biting antagonistic opposites together and make them go” shenanigans featured here will recognize the beats from the beginning.

Or this tumblr marketing push for the upcoming novel Winter's Orbit.

"Slow burn" and "mutual pining" are both very popular tags on AO3.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Tenebrais posted:

Depends on how the person arguing wants to draw their lines to either show fan fiction as something good with a long, proud tradition, or something ephemeral and crappy that is/was unlikely to generate a better artist than Naomi Novak. Pro-fic people are right that experimenting with other peoples stories an characters is a practice as old as storytelling, and anti-fic people are right that the differences just in the concept of intellectual property alone makes a vast difference between Virgil making his own sequel to the Iliad, and my cousin writing her own ending to the Star Wars books because the real one was taking to long to come out.

I go back an forth, but personally I think the real enemy is again the culture of capitalism that simultaneously restricts individual creativity while also saturating the culture in variations of their property so people see riffing an experimenting with that as just more of the thing, rather than a creative expression in its own right. Marvelverse fanfiction was a lot more diverse and creative before the MCU, to give a specific example.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

Antivehicular posted:

I've seen better-written summaries on KDP. Who is Amassia??????? What is Amassia??

nothing what's amassia with you

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sisal Two-Step posted:

This is somewhat related, but my friend and I were chatting yesterday about Tor's new marketing push to market their books the way fanfic 'markets' itself to its audience. For example, in this review of Gideon the Ninth:

Tamsyn Muir came out of fanfiction -- IIRC, she was a big-name fan in Homestuck fandom? Which, uh, makes everything I've heard about her novels make way more sense to me than it did before I knew that.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

I get it. You're too good to read children's books, and also still struggling with the inherent misogyny that there's something demeaning about childcare an everything relate to it. So instead of coming to the natural conclusion that the only shameful thing is publishers pigeonholing women into certain child and women relate genres, you've decided the genres themselves are the problem. Its women writing an reading YA that are the real villains, letting capitol tell them what they should like instead of being totally cool an woke like me and avoiding anything to do with children. You don't see men reading a bunch of YA (because publishers put those books in with regular genre fiction; they're written at the exact same level and just have different formatting) so naturally it's women infantalizing themselves that are the problem, rather than arbitrary publishing categories reinforcing that image.

Criticisms of young adult literature are not by definition criticisms of women. You're just making up a narrative about this person. This is your sham bam fanfiction.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Or this tumblr marketing push for the upcoming novel Winter's Orbit.

"Slow burn" and "mutual pining" are both very popular tags on AO3.
This framing of storytelling as a choice of which buttons you want your Content to push is unspeakably depressing to me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Seldom Posts posted:

Criticisms of young adult literature are not by definition criticisms of women. You're just making up a narrative about this person. This is your sham bam fanfiction.

i read the same line of defense during the self-pub erotica craze and it was just as laughable back then

probably moreso, since the erotica market also had a sizable number of male writers writing under female pseudonyms

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Sham bam bamina! posted:

My favorite part of this past Christmas was reading Kate Beaton's wonderful picture book The Princess and the Pony to my niece, but sure, I only have a problem with people on Twitter telling me how feminist it is to read Crown of Bones (book one of the Amassia series) instead of the Brontë sisters because I hate women and children.

Edit: The other thing is that nobody is arguing that Warhammer books need to replace The Odyssey in school curricula.

I mostly agree with this post, but I had a friend in high school who insisted they should teach the Drizzt books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
They’re better written than anything by Dickens.