Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i think you can enjoy "high" and "low" art freely and the distinction only "matters" because it demonstrates the failure/success of the author's intent of the work vs and how the audience receives the work. i don't know if that makes sense. like the massive portrait of ronald regan made out of jelly beans at the jelly belly factory is "low" art because it was meant to fill space on a wall and make a quirky reference to america's bastard's kibble of choice but its also loving shameless in how stupid it is and for that i love it. it set out what it accomplished to do and executed it flawlessly.

the distinction isn't "good" or "bad" when i talk about high and low. its more about intent and delivery and audience expectations. anyway wrt amateur work i also dont think amateur is a dirty word to be snarled at and i sincerely wish more genres would embrace work that wasn't flawlessly polished and work that could be flawed, "bad", weird, experimental, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Libluini posted:

I wish more people would do this the opposite direction, too.

I've found two Russian channels (one about video games, one about movies), and the guys are quite funny. Trouble is, not every video has English subtitles. Hell, I think one of them only has like 1/3rd of his vids subtitled.

Yeah, I guess the gaming channel you're talking about Kinamania, the channel behind Dendy Chronicles, it's one of the funnier Russian ones and I wish there was subtitles for all their videos. What's the other channel that you mentioned about movies?

Link to the first episode of Dendy Chronicles for anyone that haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kne6AKyYUuM

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

It is pretty funny that Fifty Shades became such a massive success and it was Twilight fanfiction by a 40 something. And the original title was the same as He-Man's show.

lmao I think about this way too much

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Kamrat posted:

Yeah, I guess the gaming channel you're talking about Kinamania, the channel behind Dendy Chronicles, it's one of the funnier Russian ones and I wish there was subtitles for all their videos. What's the other channel that you mentioned about movies?

Link to the first episode of Dendy Chronicles for anyone that haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kne6AKyYUuM

Yeah, Kinamania was who I meant. :v:

The movie channel is gone by now, I think I must have purged it from my subs at some point in the past. Too bad, that guy had 1-2 funny horror movie reviews, but I've seen them so long ago all details are gone from my memories. And everything else on his channel was unsubbed, and therefore incomprehensible. :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Augus posted:

I think it’s less that “fan fiction is high art” and more “all art is low art until someone decides it isn’t and all artists were once amateur artists”

it's literally just this you absolute loving pedants, it's a basic concept of how art works through all of human history. Art is always low art until the wealthy and connected decide they like it, then it's real art because obviously the wealthy and connected wouldn't be so crass as to like low art.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

fun hater posted:

i think you can enjoy "high" and "low" art freely and the distinction only "matters" because it demonstrates the failure/success of the author's intent of the work vs and how the audience receives the work. i don't know if that makes sense. like the massive portrait of ronald regan made out of jelly beans at the jelly belly factory is "low" art because it was meant to fill space on a wall and make a quirky reference to america's bastard's kibble of choice but its also loving shameless in how stupid it is and for that i love it. it set out what it accomplished to do and executed it flawlessly.

the distinction isn't "good" or "bad" when i talk about high and low. its more about intent and delivery and audience expectations. anyway wrt amateur work i also dont think amateur is a dirty word to be snarled at and i sincerely wish more genres would embrace work that wasn't flawlessly polished and work that could be flawed, "bad", weird, experimental, etc.
I don't think you're wrong to view things that way but I'd say 'high' versus 'low' is generally independant of execution, a bad opera will always be considered higher art than a good soap opera for example.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

it's literally just this you absolute loving pedants, it's a basic concept of how art works through all of human history. Art is always low art until the wealthy and connected decide they like it, then it's real art because obviously the wealthy and connected wouldn't be so crass as to like low art.

pretend i had a great point about star wars being dumb fanfiction until it became a movie and made 47 billion dollars in 1977 money

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RareAcumen posted:

pretend i had a great point about star wars being dumb fanfiction until it became a movie and made 47 billion dollars in 1977 money

it was, though! It was Lucas' love letter to like three different movie genres that most of us would see of Archive of our Own with some wack rear end 'what if a samurai and a shaolin monk had to team up with a cowboy to save a princess' writing prompt thing! It was dumb pulpy bullshit that everyone thought was going to collapse and ruin their careers, but it got big enough where the 'tastemaker' types were also enjoying it!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fanfiction is transformative media in the same sense as many of the video essays discussed in this thread.

As such, it is appropriate for us to be very, very angry about them.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

star wars is an homage

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

grocery stores are fanfiction

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The one thing we can all agree on is twitter sucks and if you lose it you lose your job!!!

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Alaois posted:

grocery stores are fanfiction

The freezer section is an isekai.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

8one6 posted:

You joke but someone probably made that manga already.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

You joke but someone probably made that manga already.

manga?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I guess not every anime comes from a manga. Simpsons best anime but once the Armin Tanzarian arc happened it started to lose me.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Libluini posted:

Kind of frustrating, makes you wish we could just finally end this 200+ language bullshit and just put them all into a blender to make one, global language everyone can understand.

Understandable but I think languages are cool, so you're wrong.

There were some attempts at doing that though, weren't there. Like esperanto, which was a complete failure

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

8one6 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJqZCa-xXvQ

Arcsquad12 posted:

Simpsons best anime
:wrong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frKyaFTeC7c

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

macabresca posted:

Understandable but I think languages are cool, so you're wrong.

There were some attempts at doing that though, weren't there. Like esperanto, which was a complete failure

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

basically all i want to say is please stop pretending the things you like are important, they aren't and i don't care how many comparisons to things other people think are important you make because i do not care in the slightest

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Anyone who says Esperanto was a complete failure needs to watch Inkubo (Incubus), a 1966 horror movie scripted entirely in Esperanto with nobody on set who could actually speak it, starring William Shatner.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Alaois posted:

basically all i want to say is please stop pretending the things you like are important, they aren't and i don't care how many comparisons to things other people think are important you make because i do not care in the slightest

thank you

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBDyLEYk-BU

It's here.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm well outside of pop music so i hadn't heard of Exile before

it's very nice but what is up with that swooshing noise in the first half of the song? like an off-beat washing machine is running waaaay in the background. ruins the mix

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Alaois posted:

Counterpoint: Please stop pretending the things I like aren't important, it makes me sad.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Importance is an inherently subjective concept. What's important to one person likely doesn't matter at all to someone else. Basically, it's fine to care or not care about whatever as long as you're not trying to force that opinion onto others.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omyoJ7onNrg

Crowbcat finally releases his magnificent octopus collage for Cyberpunk. I think he's finally topped his No Man's Sky and Mass Effect Andromeda videos.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Arcsquad12 posted:

Crowbcat finally releases his magnificent octopus collage for Cyberpunk. I think he's finally topped his No Man's Sky and Mass Effect Andromeda videos.

I can dig why people appreciate the comparisons, but this guy's entire output is so consistently negative that I don't know how they stand making it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

fun hater posted:

this thread is arguing that fanfiction is also adaptations, homages, inspiration and derivatives and keep using these things as historical examples for why fanfic is good.

fanfic is good. but the lionization and fanatical rush to defend it with increasing fervor each is i think a little sad and i think its okay for a genre (medium?) to be "low" art.

i like "low" art. its good for it to be amateur and clumsy and i wish more genres embraced this as part of the charm and form. its weird to drag shakespeare and dante out every time we have to defend the genre instead of just saying "its a hot pocket for my brain".

Why does the distinction between high and low art matter and why does miscategorizing and mildly insulting one matter more than writing a screed attacking anyone involved in the the other?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vagabong posted:

I can dig why people appreciate the comparisons, but this guy's entire output is so consistently negative that I don't know how they stand making it.

I think at a certain point you just have to sit back and laugh at how bad game launches can be and Crowbcat crossed that line years ago. It's impressive how some games just snap like twigs and I'm happy he's around to document it all.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Why does the distinction between high and low art matter and why does miscategorizing and mildly insulting one matter more than writing a screed attacking anyone involved in the the other?

i think taking what people were trying to achieve with their art into account when critiquing it is a vital part of the process. whether or not they were successful in the execution depends on the expectations of the audience and the presentation of the artist.

i really have to emphasize i really dont have the vocabulary for this when it comes to written work. for art work i can be like "when i say 'high art'' im speaking of work intended to hang in galleries vs "low art" such as art intended to hang in dentist offices". neither of these things are bad. they serve different functions and i expect different things from them. for ex: when a clumsy overt attempt at an oscar nomination is released to a 13% critical rating, its because it didnt live up to the expectations set by the artist to the audience. does that make sense?

i dn't think i said anything even remotely resembling the second half of your question

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
High fart, low fart

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

this is where the Shakespeare comparison becomes relevant because Shakespeare is considered the highest of high art but in its time it was crass low art for the commoners and the theater was right around the corner from the brothel
the intent of the work didn’t somehow change over time, what changed was how it was viewed by those in power. the only distinction between high and low art that matters is whether it can be used as a symbol of prestige or not.

this is getting really far away from the original subject tho

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 18, 2021

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Augus posted:

this is where the Shakespeare comparison becomes relevant because Shakespeare is considered the highest of high art but in its time it was crass low art for the commoners and the theater was right around the corner from the brothel
the intent of the work didn’t somehow change over time, what changed was how it was viewed by those in power. the only distinction between high and low art that matters is whether it can be used as a symbol of prestige or not.

this is getting really far away from the original subject tho

thats not actually true at all, shakespeare's work was patroned extensively by the upper class

fun hater
May 24, 2009

iirc people of all classes watched his plays. vastly more wealthy people but that's how wealth operates lol

e: me, annoying: the answer is in the middle

e: also i think i would call what shakespeare wrote adaptations more than fanfic. this is fun, i like to categorize things.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 18, 2021

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Sonic X Neo Cortex fanfiction has more value than The Great Gatsby

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Suzi Sphere Hunter also put out a video on her mixed feelings on the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fU-2WGhu0s

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Macaluso posted:

Sonic X Neo Cortex fanfiction has more value than The Great Gatsby

Submarine screen doors have more value than Sad Rich People Being Sad and Rich: The Novel.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

fun hater posted:

i think taking what people were trying to achieve with their art into account when critiquing it is a vital part of the process. whether or not they were successful in the execution depends on the expectations of the audience and the presentation of the artist.

i really have to emphasize i really dont have the vocabulary for this when it comes to written work. for art work i can be like "when i say 'high art'' im speaking of work intended to hang in galleries vs "low art" such as art intended to hang in dentist offices". neither of these things are bad. they serve different functions and i expect different things from them. for ex: when a clumsy overt attempt at an oscar nomination is released to a 13% critical rating, its because it didnt live up to the expectations set by the artist to the audience. does that make sense?

i dn't think i said anything even remotely resembling the second half of your question

If that's the big difference then it's a matter of success rather than intent. A lot of artists do their work because they need to eat and thus don't have the time or luxury to create grand pieces of their own pure creative drive. Some people manage to be successful one way or another - whether it's attaining a singular wealthy patron who pays them a lot for whatever they make, or specifically commissioned pieces - or simply managing to go viral more or less and becoming, or sparking, a cultural zeitgeist and winding up with their works in art galleries for more money than they could ever spend in their life (often the artist is dead when this happens.) Most artists never get lucky though and just toil away earning money while doing what they can to chip away at their dreams over their careers. Is 50 Shades of Grey "High Art" because it became internationally famous, while Master of the Universe "Low Art" because it was dumb fanfiction that might never have gone anywhere if the creator didn't get that initial push?

There's always been a weird romanticism about artistic pursuits that seem to just kind of forget money at all, and it's not like. A super huge criticism of the people who don't realize that: but a lot of the time the art pieces hanging in galleries and are world famous aren't there because they were some deeply emotional dream aspiration by a troubled soul looking to pour their feelings onto canvas. A lot of that poo poo, especially from specific historical eras, tends to have histories that were more "X Rich guy paid for this, then a wealthy collector bought after he died. Technically we don't even own it!" and while there are certainly artists who's ambitions are to just produce the works they want to do because they love it and have something they want to say and do - and most art genuinely does express something of the artist and their ideas within: the whole high and low art thing just always feels off because of that. Someone who puts their heart and soul into their landscapes but never makes it past "dentist office" tier is just constantly dismissed, versus someone from a rich family with the right connections to get their ~outsider art~ fast tracked into the latest gallery opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

can you bloviate harder