Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
B1W by Blueskysea
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773FXVKL/?coliid=I19C9AXF5DOL2H&colid=QN6ZDL5RPQ22&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm going to repost this camera because mine still working 100% after 3.5 years. I've bought 5 and gave them out as gifts to friends and family. All working as intended.

Pros:
- Very good video in daylight, serviceable at night. License plates can get washed out in direct headlights, but it's a universal dashcam problem. pretty sure there is a polarizing cap available
- Capacitors, not batteries
- Very small power draw, I've recorded 2 days straight while the car was parked and was still plenty of juice to start and drive. Leaving it on overnight should not be an issue
- Tiny footprint, it's slightly bigger than my thumb.
- Completely discreet, it blends with a mirror plastic and is smaller than mirror profile. You have to look hard to see it. And the tiny LED light is facing the cabin. Also, out of YOUR field of vision completely. Like it's not even there, and you can hide the wire under the headliner and pillar plastic
- Cheap! $50-60 depending on current sale
- Lens part is adjustable on Y axis
- Removable from its base, ships with 2 bases. Can be easily transferred between 2 vehicles.
- Wifi connection standard, GPS and collision sensor optional
- Despite 16GB recommendation, it works with 256 class 10 cards no problem.

Cons:
- Microphone sucks. Very muted, so your conversation with a police officer is going to be very one sided on the recording
- Ships with a short miniUSB cord and looong miniUSB/cigarette lighter. Should be the other way around
- WiFi is a bit clunky and you have to turn off cellular connection on your phone in order to use it. Instructions do not mention this, and there are some negative reviews because of it
- Firmware update is a convoluted process, luckily you don't need to do that
- Collision and GPS are add ons and pain to setup, could have been just integrated into a different, more expensive model

In conclusion, I haven't seen a better dashcam in the price range. If you want something that just works, this is it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Nitrox posted:

B1W by Blueskysea
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0773FXVKL/?coliid=I19C9AXF5DOL2H&colid=QN6ZDL5RPQ22&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I'm going to repost this camera because mine still working 100% after 3.5 years. I've bought 5 and gave them out as gifts to friends and family. All working as intended.

Pros:
- Very good video in daylight, serviceable at night. License plates can get washed out in direct headlights, but it's a universal dashcam problem. pretty sure there is a polarizing cap available
- Capacitors, not batteries
- Very small power draw, I've recorded 2 days straight while the car was parked and was still plenty of juice to start and drive. Leaving it on overnight should not be an issue
- Tiny footprint, it's slightly bigger than my thumb.
- Completely discreet, it blends with a mirror plastic and is smaller than mirror profile. You have to look hard to see it. And the tiny LED light is facing the cabin. Also, out of YOUR field of vision completely. Like it's not even there, and you can hide the wire under the headliner and pillar plastic
- Cheap! $50-60 depending on current sale
- Lens part is adjustable on Y axis
- Removable from its base, ships with 2 bases. Can be easily transferred between 2 vehicles.
- Wifi connection standard, GPS and collision sensor optional
- Despite 16GB recommendation, it works with 256 class 10 cards no problem.

Cons:
- Microphone sucks. Very muted, so your conversation with a police officer is going to be very one sided on the recording
- Ships with a short miniUSB cord and looong miniUSB/cigarette lighter. Should be the other way around
- WiFi is a bit clunky and you have to turn off cellular connection on your phone in order to use it. Instructions do not mention this, and there are some negative reviews because of it
- Firmware update is a convoluted process, luckily you don't need to do that
- Collision and GPS are add ons and pain to setup, could have been just integrated into a different, more expensive model

In conclusion, I haven't seen a better dashcam in the price range. If you want something that just works, this is it

I have the same cam but connecting to it with my iPhone doesn’t require me to turn off the cellar connection. I just connect to it’s WiFi network and open the app. I agree on all the points you mentioned though. One con to me is that it’s slow transferring videos over WiFi IMO. SD card is super easy to remove though so I just go that route.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Dash Cam Australia for Dec is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YDNhwsm_5E

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The very last one in there is loving perfect.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

The very last one in there is loving perfect.

Roll coal!

Headgasket go Brrrrrrr

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

So much quality content in there! :D

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

That's the biggest obstacle this Durango will ever climb

https://i.imgur.com/Xs7MlDW.mp4

Getting takeout had the potential to be far more expensive than delivery thanks to this oblivious driver

https://i.imgur.com/UdInASo.mp4

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Dallas is having A Day today, at least around me. Seems like I've seen more major fuckups since just before xmas, is that a thing? Not just traffic but driving in general gets worse around the holidays?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SETEdBjzQvc

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
I had three close calls with people being impatient around my trains, so yeah, Dallas is having A Week.

Bonus points to the lady driving down the tracks downtown, swerving around trains, oblivious to all the signs the train drivers were giving her that she shouldn't be there because she was talking to someone on Facetime.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I need to fix my am/pm on my clock. Audio not featured: my horn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qp9SeUZSWM

edit- forgot about this one. Please excuse the lovely zoom on the light. Does anyone have a better free windows editor than OpenShot?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZQ-CywO3L8

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 13, 2021

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I've been using Shotcut for a few years now, it's pretty good for basic chopping and cropping for dashcam videos and the like. Free, open source, all that good stuff, and a decent amount of tutorials on Youtube to get you started.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Youtube own editing tools will let you crop video, add/remove sound and add text overlay while uploading.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
DaVinci Resolve is also free if you want to relive your days of pretending like you know what you're doing with that pirated copy of photoshop that you only use to cut/paste with.

i.e. it's way overkill for what you need

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I've also had success trimming dashcam clips with the Photo program in Windows 10. It's built in and also lets you mute easily.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
if they're h.264 encoded mp4s, you can use something like gpac/mp4box to extract exactly the video you want

it's a command line tool, but i think someone slapped together a basic gui for it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

im the kid crashing his bike into a garbage can on an empty street

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Dashcam australia for january is up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39fC1EzAhbQ

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Some days I wish I could be that SUV at 10:53, just disappearing off into the bush without a care in the world :D

(Also drat, I'd hate to be the guy who lost his wheel and hit a tree right at the start...poo poo)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Major Isoor posted:

(Also drat, I'd hate to be the guy who lost his wheel and hit a tree right at the start...poo poo)
Seriously, if that driver wasn't also the person responsible for tightening those bolts there was literally nothing they could have done.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
9:30 I thought that was a gun the first time. An old-timey pirate musket thing, which I did mark as odd, but still :shobon:

e: Jesus Christ the wrong-way drivers... If I ever have to drive in Australia I'm getting something with a giant two-ton iron bumper so I can just gently brake and let nature take its course.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Feb 2, 2021

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

9:30 I thought that was a gun the first time. An old-timey pirate musket thing, which I did mark as odd, but still :shobon:

e: Jesus Christ the wrong-way drivers... If I ever have to drive in Australia I'm getting something with a giant two-ton iron bumper so I can just gently brake and let nature take its course.

I mean, you're not getting into completely unfamiliar territory. When I first moved out to almost the middle of nowhere from the big city, I heard some co-workers talking. One was telling the other that the bull bars he ordered had arrived, and he was going to weld them on this weekend, and they talked back and forth about the specs and where it was going to be welded on.

I finally spoke up and asked what the hell bull bars are, and was told that they're reinforcement bars that go in front of the bumper and radiator on a pickup to prevent the vehicle from being totaled when you hit an elk or a deer, which I later learned happens all the drat time.

I'd imagine you'd have to scale it up a little bit, but if you run it back far enough into the frame and get a good welder to do a full penetration weld along the entire length of the shank, you'd stand a far better chance of walking away from the crash.

RIP to your wallet tho after you fill up the tank a couple of times a week

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tex Avery posted:

I mean, you're not getting into completely unfamiliar territory. When I first moved out to almost the middle of nowhere from the big city, I heard some co-workers talking. One was telling the other that the bull bars he ordered had arrived, and he was going to weld them on this weekend, and they talked back and forth about the specs and where it was going to be welded on.

I finally spoke up and asked what the hell bull bars are, and was told that they're reinforcement bars that go in front of the bumper and radiator on a pickup to prevent the vehicle from being totaled when you hit an elk or a deer, which I later learned happens all the drat time.

I'd imagine you'd have to scale it up a little bit, but if you run it back far enough into the frame and get a good welder to do a full penetration weld along the entire length of the shank, you'd stand a far better chance of walking away from the crash.

RIP to your wallet tho after you fill up the tank a couple of times a week

At that point you're basically making a cowcatcher.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
We did talk about taking the cowcatcher off of an old steam locomotive we worked on and putting it on an old F100 so... yeah.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since this is all taking place in Australia I can think of another "C" word we could call the catcher...

That's right: Canctimonious Foreigner Catcher. Rolls right off the tongue it does :australia:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This happened a few hours ago right in front of me. The last two thirds of the clip are just a lot of slomo in case the cop wants it you can skip it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqlk_1wf0Lo

Sorry about the video quality, the sun is in our face, the windshield wasn't very clean, and the water spray obscures everything really quickly, but you can still get the idea. Dude's left front wheel was entirely torn from the car on impact, tire destroyed and wheel landed off the road. I helped him get out of his seatbelt and escape the car, he didn't seem to be injured, CHP was on the scene in about one minute, and I've already linked the vid to the cop who followed up with me an hour ago.

I think the driver may have been intoxicated, but I'm not sure. He didn't seem severely drunk or anything and he might have been blinded by the sun in his eyes and not seen that the jersey barriers were there. He hit a water barrel which probably saved him serious harm. He was also speeding, right at that point the speed limit drops to 45 (I pulled over right in front of the sign) but he was easily doing 70. All the other drivers in the left lane were also doing that speed, of course, because lol why slow down for a construction zone while the sun is right in your eyes at 4pm?

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Wow, you don't see a lot of first gen(?) Neons moving under their own power any more. That car is at least 20 years old.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

As long as the driver was OK I'm fine with one fewer Neon in the world

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He told the cop "drat I really loved this car." It did not look like he really loved it when I saw the interior, but you know, maybe some people really love the things they want to fill with random trash.

e. oh yeah also this is California, cars last as long as you want them to here, unless you life within a mile of the ocean.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah, the ocean abhors a reduced iron atom

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Texas is also good to cars but a Neon of any description is still quite a rare sight. They're even rarer than Cavaliers/Sunfires

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
New Australian dashcam

https://youtu.be/5qiFPg3DotE

In which a lot of motorbikes get turned into their basic components

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like a hearty number of crashes that could have been avoided had the driver with the camera hit the brakes for just a few seconds. Does Australia not have the "rearmost vehicle at fault" rule that seems to be prevalent in the US? The fellow who just let another driver merge into him confused the hell out of me.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

New Dash Cam Owners Australia crash compilation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qiFPg3DotE

NWS for swearing

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Check two posts up, buddy.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

"HOLIDAY OVER" is a new one

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tex Avery posted:

Looks like a hearty number of crashes that could have been avoided had the driver with the camera hit the brakes for just a few seconds. Does Australia not have the "rearmost vehicle at fault" rule that seems to be prevalent in the US? The fellow who just let another driver merge into him confused the hell out of me.

Depends if it's a real merge or a "change lanes" merge that the powers that be have recently decided is betterer.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

SlowBloke posted:

New Australian dashcam

https://youtu.be/5qiFPg3DotE

In which a lot of motorbikes get turned into their basic components

I love the people who can clearly see someone merging into their lane and do absolutely nothing to prevent it. I have the ROW! I'd rather deal with a crash than apply the brakes!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Tex Avery posted:

Rearmost vehicle at fault is the law in a good chunk of Europe too, I am perplexed too at some of these rear endings which are mind boggingly odd compared to the average driver here.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

I love the people who can clearly see someone merging into their lane and do absolutely nothing to prevent it. I have the ROW! I'd rather deal with a crash than apply the brakes!

I have been wondering about that for quite some time.

I have come to the conclusion that many of them are just as oblivious as those they show on cam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Flint Ironstag posted:

I have been wondering about that for quite some time.

I have come to the conclusion that many of them are just as oblivious as those they show on cam.

There are legitimately people who will take no action to avoid an accident because they have the ROW. I’ve dealt with a number of them over the years in the insurance world. They’re always surprised when they get hit with some degree of fault after just telling you they saw the guy merging and didn’t try to avoid it in any way, or even accelerated to close the gap.