Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Bundle of Holding and OPP are doing a Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary bundle to help out Nicky Rea, the partner of the aforementioned Jackie Cassada, with some serious medical bills.

https://twitter.com/BundleHolding/status/1346893054356160518

(It's good. You should get it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Not one of the oWoD lines would have been half as good without Jackie and Nicky's contributions. Help her out, folks.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
So I'm running a Werewolf: The Forsaken game and I have a question about the Death Rage. It states in the book that they suffer Rage as if in Garuru, meaning they need to attack something every turn, or try to get closer to something to attack. But, the Death Rage description states

WtF 2E pg 103 posted:

While in Basu-Im, the werewolf ignores wound penalties, and any attempts to influence, intimidate, or otherwise change the Uratha’s course of action by mundane or supernatural means suffer twice the werewolf’s Primal Urge as a penalty. This is over and above any Supernatural Tolerance (p. 160) applied to supernatural powers.

Emphasis mine. I suppose this means that a Death Raging Werewolf could be talked into doing something other than attacking things?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

Emphasis mine. I suppose this means that a Death Raging Werewolf could be talked into doing something other than attacking things?

It's rather difficult to hold a calming conversation with an oncoming freight train of fuzzy death, but it is theoretically possible I think. Probably easier to do with magical means if you have any available.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

So I'm running a Werewolf: The Forsaken game and I have a question about the Death Rage. It states in the book that they suffer Rage as if in Garuru, meaning they need to attack something every turn, or try to get closer to something to attack. But, the Death Rage description states

It could just mean that somehow tricking the werewolf into switching targets or otherwise continuing their rage in a different way than before is that much harder.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It's the "hey rear end in a top hat, over here" move to redirect their attack basically

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Soonmot posted:

It's the "hey rear end in a top hat, over here" move to redirect their attack basically
Blind pedestrian, twenty points!

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Now I wonder if the Evasion facet Fog of War could be used to redirect a woof in Kuruth into another target...

Edit: nope, ranged attacks.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Hey does anyone have a link to the old GarouMUSH Bad Apps page? I think that's what it was called. I remember it was on archive.org but I can't find it for the life of me.

EDIT: nevermind, found it http://web.archive.org/web/20050923033113/http://www.people.memphis.edu/~mbodary/badapps.ht%6Dl

Down With People fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 15, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Is there some kind of flow chart or guide to how to referee combat more easily in Scion 2E? My group's GM would love to take a break and I know how to GM in general, in the sense of telling an interesting story and keeping my friends amused for four hours on a Sunday, but this poo poo stymies me. If there is a working thing in the Origin rulebook and I just never read it because reading books is for nerds, let me know what section it's in.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

What specific problems are you encountering?/Go read the Trinity core book which doesn't work exactly the same but explains everything much more better.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

What specific problems are you encountering?/Go read the Trinity core book which doesn't work exactly the same but explains everything much more better.
What I'm running into consistently as a player is that there's like four or five different things you can tap for more dice but they all work differently and our current system (a roll20 table plus the GM's note pad I guess) is not very good for tracking it. Like I get the core mechanic fine, and I could probably fake it past there, but the nuances of drawing on your path vs. your title vs. your heroic virtue and poo poo is mixing me up.

This concerns me because, say what you will about D&D in its various forms, but it is fairly clear to me how I would run it, like mechanically, and what I would need to provide for enemy pieces (HP, AC, key saves, unique powers).

e: This is for Scion2E of course, Scion1E's system is poop from a butt

Nessus fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 18, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I haven't gotten to read it yet but apparently Aberrant writers went and fixed the issues with scale in the latest backer update. :toot:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Very excited to be gearing up to fight a 6th gen Tremere that has Auspex 7 and Celerity 7 according to my sources, as well as some amount of thaum and a deep love for archery. She's been doing some kind of horrible magical experiments involving jamming boiling oil/tar into water spirits and we're hoping to get her to explain herself before we beat the piss out of her and then eat her.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

If you're playing VtM and not mentally ranking every NPC you meet or hear about in terms of Diablerie priority, are you really playing VtM?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

What I'm running into consistently as a player is that there's like four or five different things you can tap for more dice but they all work differently and our current system (a roll20 table plus the GM's note pad I guess) is not very good for tracking it. Like I get the core mechanic fine, and I could probably fake it past there, but the nuances of drawing on your path vs. your title vs. your heroic virtue and poo poo is mixing me up.

This concerns me because, say what you will about D&D in its various forms, but it is fairly clear to me how I would run it, like mechanically, and what I would need to provide for enemy pieces (HP, AC, key saves, unique powers).

e: This is for Scion2E of course, Scion1E's system is poop from a butt

This half-finished cheat sheet is I think free of deliberate house rules on my part. I can't be 100% sure especially with a game like Scion 2e where there's just enough vagueness/badness that I might want to tweak my cheat sheets instead of sticking to RAW cheat sheets and then making a separate house rules document. It's been too long for me to remember and I never got around to actually running the game they were for. In any case I'm almost totally positive I didn't inject any interpretation or house rules into the deeds and titles stuff. Gathering all the information into one-ish page and condensing it helps a lot, especially when you're just starting out.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

That Old Tree posted:

This half-finished cheat sheet is I think free of deliberate house rules on my part. I can't be 100% sure especially with a game like Scion 2e where there's just enough vagueness/badness that I might want to tweak my cheat sheets instead of sticking to RAW cheat sheets and then making a separate house rules document. It's been too long for me to remember and I never got around to actually running the game they were for. In any case I'm almost totally positive I didn't inject any interpretation or house rules into the deeds and titles stuff. Gathering all the information into one-ish page and condensing it helps a lot, especially when you're just starting out.
Oh this is loving baller, thanks dude! I'm reviewing it now. Do you mind if I share it with my table?

I am playing with a setting in the greater Phoenix/Arizona area and I am curious if anything has been written up with the Dine cosmology in the context of Scion. It would presumably come up, even if I get a bunch of Greeks and Shen wrestling downtown.

e: Field reports indicate the answer is 'no, and there are specific requests to not use those stories in this context' so good to know!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Nessus posted:

Oh this is loving baller, thanks dude! I'm reviewing it now. Do you mind if I share it with my table?

Please do. I'd love for it to be of some use to someone.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Quick question re Roads in DA20.

I'm playing a Lasombra Sinner, full on enlightened self interest with regards to his "allies" (friends that he cares for deeply but has to jump through mental hoops to justify why in his head). That's all well and good.

But he's currently being tempted by someone on the Path of the Devil. I like the idea of him trying to wrap his inhuman mind around another similar path but I'm wondering about the mechanics - is it the same as switching from one Road to another?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Dawgstar posted:

I haven't gotten to read it yet but apparently Aberrant writers went and fixed the issues with scale in the latest backer update. :toot:

Hell yeah. I am super excited about Aberrant, but when I went to read the first pdf they put out my mind just totally bounced off all the Mega Attributes and stuff.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

I Am Zombie posted:

You’re TOXIC now. It’s too late for you-you’re one of us. If you’re reading this, you’re probably new to the world as it really is. You don’t know the first thing ABOUT our world. Know that. OWN that. You’re a TOETAG. You don’t know squat.
Apropos of nothing, I am very, very weary of this "Buckle up kiddo, you don't know poo poo" tone in WoD and WoD-adjacent games. It's like being "welcomed" into a scene by its most obnoxious gatekeepers, which I suspect is how a lot of White Wolf writers learned basic social skills.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Mythos and Dragon KS for Scion go live this afternoon. Way too dang excited for these.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Mythos and Dragon KS for Scion go live this afternoon. Way too dang excited for these.

I am not, but perhaps someone can talk them up?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Rand Brittain posted:

I am not, but perhaps someone can talk them up?
I'm interested in both pieces for kind of...genre blindspot reasons?

Lovecraftiana is one of those weird genre-adjacent-but-not-direct things with WoD/CoD in general, where sometimes you get really interesting evocations of cosmic horror (lots of Mage's Abyssal stuff), sometimes you get absolutely flat flailing garbage body horror with spooky space crap (Contagion Chronicle). Bringing it into Scion also moves me one step closer to the real golden dream, which is "discard WoD/CoD rules in favor of Storypath entirely" while also taking a biiiiig swing at something that my inner 13 year old is very excited about on its face.

Dragons are another interesting one that almost any modern/urban fantasy setting ends up either handwaving away their absence/lovely adaptation (coughing into my hand while saying "Supernatural" here) or warping the setting with their presence (Shadowrun). It also addresses one of the most glaring flaws that WW/OP has had since Beast game out (other than Beast's existence): Why can't I just play a god drat dragon already?

Between the two it's just more layers to add onto a game line that has become my go-to "I don't care, just shovel more of it at me, I will buy the poo poo out of it" game.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/scion-dragon-and-scion-masks-of-the-mythos-for-scion-2e

Neat

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Halloween Jack posted:

Apropos of nothing, I am very, very weary of this "Buckle up kiddo, you don't know poo poo" tone in WoD and WoD-adjacent games. It's like being "welcomed" into a scene by its most obnoxious gatekeepers, which I suspect is how a lot of White Wolf writers learned basic social skills.

Remember how he tried to fake plagiarism in order to hype his game up and everyone just kind of went "What the gently caress dude?"

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

In my opinion, the WoD already has cosmic horror of a more modern and effectual way than the seafood buffet of Lovecraftiana: The God-Machine is precisely a huge, utterly amoral system that has only the least explicable and most distressing interest in humanity.

I'm not really a Lovecraft fan, to be clear - I think that he created a genre and framework, with cosmic horror, that's since been taken much further and turned inside out by other authors. I am curious whether Scion is going to be going Derlethian in order to have a unified mythos, since Lovecraft was never interested in that.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
How is Scion? The man with the Master's in Religious Studies was always interested, but the TTRPG nerd was wary because I heard the mechanics were iffy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Hiro Protagonist posted:

How is Scion? The man with the Master's in Religious Studies was always interested, but the TTRPG nerd was wary because I heard the mechanics were iffy.

If you’re willing to play any WW or OP game it should be fine. I’ve written for the line myself and tried to do good, reasonably balanced mechanics on top of heavy research, though I worked on neither of these books. Cant tell you what the content’s gonna look like here.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
The first chapter and appendix of Dragon are up for backer preview in the second update post if you want to take a look.

edit: I worked on Dragon, and I think it's pretty good either as its own game or as a toolbox to pull stuff out for other Scion games.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

LeSquide posted:

edit: I worked on Dragon, and I think it's pretty good either as its own game or as a toolbox to pull stuff out for other Scion games.

All I need to hear is that this is going to be better than Fireborn.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

All I need to hear is that this is going to be better than Fireborn.

if it's not i'll kick my own rear end

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

LeSquide posted:

if it's not i'll kick my own rear end
:toxx:

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Dragon sounds cool from the manuscript chapter up so far, though recommending both 24 and Patriot in the Recommended Viewing section makes me think someone either has a much higher opinion of 24 than I do or a much lower opinion of Patriot than I do. However, the idea that Heirs have to be all sneaky and poo poo because the gods basically wrote dragons out of reality (and would like to get rid of them again if they showed up) is super cute and clever.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

the gods basically wrote dragons out of reality (and would like to get rid of them again if they showed up) is super cute and clever.

Is this any specific set of gods, or the gods, collectively?

Reflections85
Apr 30, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

In my opinion, the WoD already has cosmic horror of a more modern and effectual way than the seafood buffet of Lovecraftiana: The God-Machine is precisely a huge, utterly amoral system that has only the least explicable and most distressing interest in humanity.

I'm not really a Lovecraft fan, to be clear - I think that he created a genre and framework, with cosmic horror, that's since been taken much further and turned inside out by other authors. I am curious whether Scion is going to be going Derlethian in order to have a unified mythos, since Lovecraft was never interested in that.

A bit off topic, but what authors do you think have taken Lovecraft further and turned it inside out? I've never loved Lovecraft myself, but I've enjoyed some of the cosmic horror and new weird fiction that has a debt to him.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Is this any specific set of gods, or the gods, collectively?
Basically all of them; I think the KS page itself outlines the 6 Flights (semi-regional sort-of pantheon equivalents), who all have reasons to hate The Gods for rewriting reality and relegating dragons to being defeated antagonists, creatures of near-forgotten myth, etc.

A sidebar addresses who's to blame:

quote:

Every statement of true and unblemished fact in this section represents the perception and opinion of dragonkind: no more, no less. History according to Dragons is exactly that: history according to Dragons. The truth Dragons know is likewise the truth Dragons know. We use a lot of generalities throughout this section, because Dragons themselves rarely care to separate the Æsir from the Netjer, from the Tuatha dé Danann. But those separations do exist, and again generalities: those Dragons who are familiar with the Shen would not characterize them the same as the murderous Theoi.
In The World of Scion, all Myths are true. Certain Primordials, Gods, and Dragons all existed at the beginning of the World; at the same time, only Dragons existed at the beginning of the World, and everyone else came after. Dragons took on mantles of Gods and joined pantheons, but also, those Gods and Titans who are Dragons were always Gods and Titans. These are just accepted truths.
So far it's really cool.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Reflections85 posted:

A bit off topic, but what authors do you think have taken Lovecraft further and turned it inside out? I've never loved Lovecraft myself, but I've enjoyed some of the cosmic horror and new weird fiction that has a debt to him.

I'm not actually a Vandermeer fan but Annihilation was cosmic horror in a more interesting, environmental catastrophe way; obviously Litany of Earth and similar Lovecraftiana reclamations are interesting. Susanna Clarke's Piranesi has a lot of the qualities of cosmic horror, but from a very different perspective and in a different framework.

Embarrassingly, my favorite example would be Bloodborne; the lore of Bloodborne is some of the most deft Lovecraftiana out there, because the Cthulhus are as helpless in the face of the uncaring cosmos as we are, and it's humanity's own assumption that a 'more evolved' being must be happier and freer that leads to them doing horrible things to become like the Great Ones.

Bloodborne stands out because it's genuinely Lovecraftiana, or nearly so, with tentacles and star-spawn and so on, but the way it approaches a cosmic nihilism is far more meaningful to me because it's a meditation on reacting to the Other, not a raw and screaming reaction like HPL.

E: one of the things my favorite stories-that-are-like-cosmic-horror have in common is that they take the same underlying principle of cosmic nihilism and amorality for granted, then react to it in a way that is still deeply affecting but not the neurosis-driven scream of disgust that pulses in Lovecraft's stories about infection, degradation, and foreignness.

Joe Slowboat fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 20, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Reflections85 posted:

I used to think Alexis Kennedy was an answer here but then he went and arguably became worse than Lovecraft himself :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Joe Slowboat posted:

I'm not actually a Vandermeer fan but Annihilation was cosmic horror in a more interesting, environmental catastrophe way; obviously Litany of Earth and similar Lovecraftiana reclamations are interesting. Susanna Clarke's Piranesi has a lot of the qualities of cosmic horror, but from a very different perspective and in a different framework.

Embarrassingly, my favorite example would be Bloodborne; the lore of Bloodborne is some of the most deft Lovecraftiana out there, because the Cthulhus are as helpless in the face of the uncaring cosmos as we are, and it's humanity's own assumption that a 'more evolved' being must be happier and freer that leads to them doing horrible things to become like the Great Ones.

Bloodborne stands out because it's genuinely Lovecraftiana, or nearly so, with tentacles and star-spawn and so on, but the way it approaches a cosmic nihilism is far more meaningful to me because it's a meditation on reacting to the Other, not a raw and screaming reaction like HPL.

E: one of the things my favorite stories-that-are-like-cosmic-horror have in common is that they take the same underlying principle of cosmic nihilism and amorality for granted, then react to it in a way that is still deeply affecting but not the neurosis-driven scream of disgust that pulses in Lovecraft's stories about infection, degradation, and foreignness.

This isn't embarrassing, Bloodborne is a goddamn masterpiece. except for the chalices