Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mizuti posted:

You have to be careful with making crow friends. They can take it so far that they may attack other people near you in their territory.

sounds like a plus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Look, crows are smart enough to know who's a jerk and who isn't, so if they start harassing my neighbours, i know whose side I'm on.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lol if you think other people are near me

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm taking a class right now in Human-Animal studies, specifically Animals in Literature. Since it's all online, we're posting our pets for everyone to see.

Anyway I guess I shouldn't really share it, but you should at least know that this has resulted in a video of a black-and-white budgie preening a hedgehog and then stealing the hog's food.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
You gotta get the video owner's consent to share that

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I ordered a Serra bookmark. From England. That I'm pretty sure was made for a seventy year old grandma.

I love it! The only one they had was for a yellow crested cockatoo, so I asked them if they had white and grey cockatiels in stock. They didn't, so I told them not to worry about it.

Without another exchange, the one I wanted showed up. For that, I'll hold their card in the picture.

:derptiel: :respek: :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Log posted:

I ordered a Serra bookmark. From England. That I'm pretty sure was made for a seventy year old grandma.

I love it! The only one they had was for a yellow crested cockatoo, so I asked them if they had white and grey cockatiels in stock. They didn't, so I told them not to worry about it.

Without another exchange, the one I wanted showed up. For that, I'll hold their card in the picture.

You should send them back a thank-you photo of Serra holding it.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Captain Log posted:

Crochet is hip in England these days, especially on the LGBT scene for some reason. It's as likely to be a 20something queer person as it is a granny.

If it's from London there's a chance I've drunk with them. 🤣

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Cockatoos are cute assholes

https://twitter.com/humorandanimals/status/1349377045902610432

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You should send them back a thank-you photo of Serra holding it.

She is either going to try and kill it, or sit on it.

I'm big on Thank You Notes, but trying to get Serra holding it might be...interesting.

Masonity posted:

Crochet is hip in England these days, especially on the LGBT scene for some reason. It's as likely to be a 20something queer person as it is a granny.

If it's from London there's a chance I've drunk with them. 🤣

Bristol. I hate, hate, hate how Royal Mail is the literal most expensive carrier on EARTH for shipping to America. It makes everything a huge pain in the rear end.

God, I miss the UK. I spent my summers there with family from the age of about seven to fifteen. I've now not been in two decades. :smith:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Oh god he's doing it again... Just ignore him and he'll go away...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Log posted:

She is either going to try and kill it, or sit on it.

I'm big on Thank You Notes, but trying to get Serra holding it might be...interesting.

I'm not seeing a downside here :colbert:.

(Seriously though, that was a very nice thing of them to do)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Kuros posted:

Instead of crow friend, how does one make a falcon friend?

https://giant.gfycat.com/GracefulPastelCoypu.webm

Incredible :kimchi:

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

I agree.

Just looked up a search from the day after I brought my first bird home:

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I love when birds pull their foot in but they don't quite cover it and you can see their tiny little clenched fist of rage while they sleep

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wunGQyAfeMc

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hug in a Can posted:

Just looked up a search from the day after I brought my first bird home:

I like to think that you are the bird who bought itself a house, and is now trying to figure out how to behave like a bird.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Today, I thought I caught Yellow having a stroke and nearly had a stroke myself.

Turns out she is just really bad at taking a bath in her water dish. Like, real real bad. But she looked chuffed.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I love a wet birb. :kimchi:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

budgies :kimchi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8UGmet-r9w

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

https://twitter.com/lilicastiel/status/1292333656782979072

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra has opinions about posting -

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
"Oh my *god*. You used *that* photo of me!?"

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

pics of me reincarnated

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

some good serra and silly bird content on this page.

I really want a pink bird at some point in my life. It's very vain to want a bird for its colors, I know... But come on. Pink!!

Two things to note: if a bird can talk, it'll probably know a variant of "what are you doing?!", lol. I was then saying those vert same words out loud to the cheeky budgie in the video.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Plant MONSTER. posted:

pics of me reincarnated

If I’m ever transported back in time to the Wild West, I wish to be known as, “Old Weed Hummingbird.”

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Turn the sound on.

https://i.imgur.com/sXEzKj8.mp4

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Kuros posted:

A crow whisperer! You should sneak a pic for the thread when one is hanging out with you.

I haven't taken too many because honestly, crows coming to hang out with me feels like such an honor it almost feels like I'm being rude if I spend the time taking pictures. It's silly I know. :3:

Here's my closest Crowfriend H though! I heard him cawing from the top of the tree when I showed up and sat down and I guess he was waiting for an invitation lmao. He likes to land on that guard rail, scan for danger, then hop down and start doing crow things.

https://i.imgur.com/oB0jRwV.mp4

I'd like to add that after the initial pass for danger he seems to believe being in a human's company gives him a protective bubble. He is very cavalier about cars and other humans if he's close enough to me, which is adorable, but also means I find myself shooing him out of the way of UPS trucks.

Pookah posted:

I used to have a crow friend who did the same thing! He used to come and sit on the steps outside my house when I was there with Pookie and the budgies. Sadly he and his mate died some years ago of old age :( They are very sociable, have amazing memories and an uncanny ability to recognise individudal people, even when they've changed their appearance significantly.

This is one of their babies, who we got to handfeed a little when he fell out of the nest. At first the parents were very nervous and aggressive when we'd go near the baby, but once they realised we were just feeding him a little, and putting him up out of harms way in a tree, they took to leaving him play on the ground near where I was sitting reading; I took to mean they thought I should be doing a little babysitting :3:
One time he was playing on the ground with a stick he had found, and he was just chattering away quietly the whole time, and it was 100% like when a toddler babbles away in babytalk about what they're doing. I just said the odd encouraging thing, like you'd do with a little kid and he just kept on playing with his stick.

They raised many families over the years in a big cedar just outside my family home. I still miss them very much.

edit: mediaphage: THERE SHE IS :kimchi: :kimchi:

Pookie, this is amazing :lmao: Babysitting a baby crow, that's fantastic. I don't think a lot of people can say they've done that!!! You were the crows' family friends. :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I love this :allears:

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Cockatoos have very little instinct for self preservation.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Why is it that all the barking parrot videos I've ever seen have been cockatoos?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtZqE8guUPM

friends!

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

This settles it, I'll retire in 'Straylia

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

theHUNGERian posted:

This settles it, I'll retire in 'Straylia

If I could magically move with Serra and Pops, I would in a heartbeat.

(He is an immigrant and recently asked about Canada, which is both heart breaking and completely reasonable.)

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

RoboRodent posted:

Why is it that all the barking parrot videos I've ever seen have been cockatoos?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

My dream is New Zealand to hang out with Kea (and Kakapo) but Australia sounds fantastic. Especially since they're about as far from the North American Plaguelands as you can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkXo1gbPjAQ

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Kuros posted:

The most stunning thing about that video is the fact that not one of those birds screamed at any point. What kind of cockatoo just does cute soft coos and grunts only? Are... are we the ones making them assholes? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Unsinkabear posted:

The most stunning thing about that video is the fact that not one of those birds screamed at any point. What kind of cockatoo just does cute soft coos and grunts only? Are... are we the ones making them assholes? :ohdear:

Absolutely not. They just weren't in screm mode. I'm sure Mr and Mrs Floofington did plenty of screm beforehand and later in the evening. That's how they say good morning to the rest of the flock and how they find out where the party is in the evening