Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Magnetic North posted:

Sorry, that game off more passive aggressive than I mean. I honestly don't know if I agree or disagree. I was more meaning that I don't feel I have a place to criticize you in either case, being a white dude.

If white dudes didn't disagree with me, given my life, who would? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Mayveena posted:

From his FB page.

Interesting to see that, given that Board&Dice claimed he was unwilling to make an apology. They are coming off as really shady here, as if they feel under assault by a Twitter mob that is one step from finding out that thing they did one time that no one knows about.

Throwing some foreign contractor under the bus to deflect blame from them is not a good look.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Their statement may have come before those comments or even spurred that response from him when he realized there were actual consequences to face. I wouldn’t assume anything like you mentioned given this is an appropriate response for a publisher to something like this happening.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Mayveena posted:

If white dudes didn't disagree with me, given my life, who would? :)

Yeah but I have no standing to disagree with how you choose to feel about things based on your own lived experiences. I dunno, maybe I am just being neurotic.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Re: the mistranslation/context of Tascini, multiple Italians in the Efka twitter thread pointed out that the Italian word used is as bad as it sounds.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Llyranor posted:

Re: the mistranslation/context of Tascini, multiple Italians in the Efka twitter thread pointed out that the Italian word used is as bad as it sounds.

If there is one thing I have learnt from playing board games, it is that Italian is a group of related dialects welded together into a language by a nationalist project in the early modern era.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mayveena posted:

Second E: Here is Tascini's apology

From his FB page.

"The translation made me look bad" is not an apology.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

radmonger posted:

If there is one thing I have learnt from playing board games, it is that Italian is a group of related dialects welded together into a language by a nationalist project in the early modern era.

how'd you find my drafts of Risorgimento COIN

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Whoever recommended Res Arcana was totally right. Scratches the engine-building itch in a pretty quick playtime.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

radmonger posted:

Interesting to see that, given that Board&Dice claimed he was unwilling to make an apology. They are coming off as really shady here, as if they feel under assault by a Twitter mob that is one step from finding out that thing they did one time that no one knows about.

Throwing some foreign contractor under the bus to deflect blame from them is not a good look.

Unless someone shows me that he apologized before B&D issued their statement essentially firing him, I don't buy it at all. He was defending the "black is evil in fantasy, white is good" trope and then arguing for how racist he wasn't by showing off his black friends and saying they didn't mind him using a word that, at the very least, is a reference to their skin color and at the worst is a slur. Tossing in the "black people aren't black anyhow; it's all shades of tan so of course the trope's fine" bit was just the cherry on top.

Hopefully he genuinely learns from this, but the original post that caused the fuss sure makes him look resistant to doing so.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Kiranamos posted:

I guess Daniele Tascini really can't keep his mouth shut, can he:
https://www.fustellarotante.it/inclusivita-e-giochi-da-tavolo/

Okay, that interview cements in my mind that both of those two interviewees, Tascini and Ciacchiera, have their heads all the way up their behinds.

I dig the dismissive way Tascini refers to the referenced BGG thread about Alma Mater as bordering on the ridiculous.

He doesn't get it and he doesn't want to.

edit: Ciacchiera, it turns out, is the guy who made Mysthea, Icaion, and The Faceless, among others. Guess my slight regret on missing the KS for the first is pretty well salved.

Memnaelar fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 18, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I didn't realize the Manitoba designers were part of that same group. That definitely pushes the conversation from "these people make games about underrepresented cultures" to "these people are lazily appropriating them with zero understanding or care".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Memnaelar posted:

edit: Ciacchiera, it turns out, is the guy who made Mysthea, Icaion, and The Faceless, among others. Guess my slight regret on missing the KS for the first is pretty well salved.

I missed the KS on all three, but I probably bought The Faceless directly from him. It was on my sell list, it's doubly so there now.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Deeply irritated by Hargrave's article, huh?

Referring to criticism of Alma Mater's whitewashing as bordering on the ridiculous.

The error was mistaking Manitoba for a historical reconstruction of the life of the Cree, huh? And in your next response justifying Alma Whiter by appealing to (INCORRECT) historically reality

There is as much physical distance between the Cree of Manitoba and the Pacific Northwest First Nations (of which the totem pole was featured prominently on the box art, than there is between Rome and the border of Scotland.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Yeah, it's a repugnant article and while you can parse out, if you want, which designer said what offensive thing, neither of them tries to correct the other so it's as good as both having said it all. gently caress 'em.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
What kind of shelving would you goons recommend for board games? My wife is starting to get upset with my "no more shelf space, so I guess the extra dining room chairs will suffice" method of storage.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

What kind of shelving would you goons recommend for board games? My wife is starting to get upset with my "no more shelf space, so I guess the extra dining room chairs will suffice" method of storage.

Kallax shelves from ikea

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

dwarf74 posted:

Kallax shelves.

Seriously, if you are in driving range to an Ikea, just get some.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mayveena posted:

E: After talking with Vital Lacerda, I'd steer away from his games as well if you feel strongly about Tascini. It was a private conversation, but I kicked him off my FB page because of it.

I'm curious, was the conversation, in your opinion, worse than that Tascini was saying?

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Also getting rid of games you like the idea of but can't table.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

He was adamant about defending Christopher Columbus as a hero IIRC

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Crackbone posted:

I'm curious, was the conversation, in your opinion, worse than that Tascini was saying?

In my opinion yes, No, he didn't say that he was racist but he supports some ridiculous poo poo.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

He was adamant about defending Christopher Columbus as a hero IIRC

This and what he said in addition was totally disrespectful of the harm Columbus did.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Ayyy Inis has two expansions in development. The game feels complete as is so I’m curious where these take the game

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2580998/article/36760678#36760678

That reminds me, did that new version of Kemet come out and was it any good?

Yakumo
Oct 7, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Kallax shelves.

Seriously, if you are in driving range to an Ikea, just get some.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get them if you aren't in driving range and they don't ship to your area? I checked Amazon but the listings are all resellers with reviews saying they're shipping knockoffs.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Does anyone have any suggestions for solo engine/tabeleu builders? Preferably ones that don't take up a lot of table space.

I already have Race for the Galaxy and Wingspan.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yakumo posted:

Do you have any suggestions on how to get them if you aren't in driving range and they don't ship to your area? I checked Amazon but the listings are all resellers with reviews saying they're shipping knockoffs.

Before they built an IKEA in my area I used to know several people who would effectively vacation to the nearest one every once in a while.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Yakumo posted:

Target has "cube organizer" shelves that are basically the same thing.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Got some Kallax (and a matching cupboard) coming this Friday to deal with my board game overflow. Easy to come by in the UK though - don't think there're many (if any) places here you can't get an Ikea delivery.

We're now 2/2 with Spirit Island. Definitely time to up the difficulty; that second game was way too comfortable for us. Went with River Surges in Sunlight and Vital Strength of the Earth in that one and used the card progressions again, plus no blighted island cards. Next time I think we'll add normal power selection and blighted island cards, plus maybe look at some more complex spirits - some of them look really fun. Then I guess the next step would be using adversaries and going through the difficulty levels on those. Don't know how scenarios are supposed to fit into the difficulty curve, but it's so cool how customisable the difficulty is in this game.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 18, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

quote:

We will not further publish the Marco Polo series and cancel all current orders from our partners (we do not sell our games ourselves).
As long as we don’t feel like (and Daniele Tascini has not openly proven that) a true shift in attitude has taken place and a sincere apology is present, we will not change this. In addition, we will of course not realize any new projects together with Mr. Tascini.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2582616/statement-regarding-racist-remarks

Not only dropping further work with him but cancelling a big hit game’s publishing and donating proceeds to an anti-racism fund. That’s surprisingly serious action from a euro company.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I still haven't played the first expansion for Inis because my FLGS only brings in like one copy at a time and it's always gone by the time I get the notification. That and its price point is ~$48CAD. Jesus Christ, that's more than half of what the base game goes for and I've heard that the expansion has one or two really good ideas mixed in with mediocre ones.

(Still love Inis though)

We recently started playing Mission: Red Planet and I really like this game. It feels like Citadels meets Inis in a way. The two player actually works reasonably well too despite having to use two dummy players. We got to play it 4p the other day too and I thought it worked quite nicely but ultimately believe max player count is the dream zone for maximum chaos and insanity.

And finally, got a 5p game of 18MEX in over the weekend. I had my best game ever and didn't own a company until the last part of the game. I think being an investor and keeping an eye on the market to ensure you don't get stuck with a dog company is the way to win these games but maybe that's just how our groups have been playing it. Either way, 18MEX is great. Love it. 18xx.games is a wonderful website.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2582616/statement-regarding-racist-remarks

Not only dropping further work with him but cancelling a big hit game’s publishing and donating proceeds to an anti-racism fund. That’s surprisingly serious action from a euro company.

The Entitled will be after them now.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

I still haven't played the first expansion for Inis because my FLGS only brings in like one copy at a time and it's always gone by the time I get the notification. That and its price point is ~$48CAD. Jesus Christ, that's more than half of what the base game goes for and I've heard that the expansion has one or two really good ideas mixed in with mediocre ones.

It adds new cards (all good), harbor tiles (good), 5p components (good), end game rules (very good), and the season module (Ok at lower player counts). The most important module being the endgame trigger and you can backport it. Harbors are my second favorite module because they make for some interesting maps and movement possibilities.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Bottom Liner posted:

It adds new cards (all good), harbor tiles (good), 5p components (good), end game rules (very good), and the season module (Ok at lower player counts). The most important module being the endgame trigger and you can backport it. Harbors are my second favorite module because they make for some interesting maps and movement possibilities.

ALRIGHT, FINE, I'LL BUY THE drat THING. Unsure if I'll get 5 to ever play it but if it happens... we'll be ready.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Of course the HiG post is full of replies about it being "cAnCEl cUlTUre"

I hate how there's apparently infinite patience for people doing a racism in a way that there isn't for like, literally any other mistake.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Played 4 pl cartographers over zoom screen share of the tabletop simulator version(cards only, we all drew on pads remotely) and it went pretty well. I wish I could do the same thing with Paper Tales but there doesn't seem to be any good way of playing it online with friends. The app doesn't seem to be that good.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

FulsomFrank posted:

ALRIGHT, FINE, I'LL BUY THE drat THING.
Interesting seeing this from you after I have literally just buckled and preordered Feast because I saw it on sale. The Norwegians will have to wait but hopefully I will have sorted out a storage system by then.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Redundant posted:

Interesting seeing this from you after I have literally just buckled and preordered Feast because I saw it on sale. The Norwegians will have to wait but hopefully I will have sorted out a storage system by then.

Storage for your collection in general or storage/organizer for the game components themselves? if the latter, seriously dude, don't sweat it too much. I used to think it was a huge pain to setup and take down but the hard work is done by the trays. Although as I write this I do dread the take down and putting all the many, many pieces of cardboard back to their homes. That said, I would not say no if someone had a 3D printer and made me the one insert that has been floating around this and other site.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

dwarf74 posted:

Ikea's Kallax is the default most people get. I got the Ivar, which is just some uprights you buy, with some horizontal shelves you snap in wherever. The shelves have two lengths, so I have a longer shelf on the right, and a few more 'normal' sized ones on the left.

Ivar also has some corner uprights to wrap it around, and probably some other addons they've come up with in the few years since I got mine.

I took a pic of my shelves this morning, .

https://twitter.com/Ravendas16/status/1351264741860245504

Each upright is $17, each shelf is $10, the longer shelves on the right are probably like $12, I can't find them though. So that whole unit as pictured is...

5 uprights = $85
20 normal shelves = $200
5 wide shelves = $60 (?)

$345 for the shelving pictured. Twice as much as a 5x5 kallax that would fit a similar space I think, but the Ivar is deeper and easier to fit larger or odd sized games, since you can just adjust the shelf heights, or add more or take some away.

Looking at the Ikea site, they also added new things like foldout desks, drawers, doors and some other neat things to the Ivar line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I use Ikea BILLY bookcases and they work great. they have adjustable shelves so I can fit pretty much anything as long as one dimension is 10-13 inches.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-bookcase-black-brown-40263848/

I think you can fit more games in BILLYs vs KALLAX