Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

GigaPeon posted:

So I looked up SWORD on Wikipedia because I wasn’t sure what it’s deal was, and the part that references Wandavision is kinda spoilery so watch out. Sentient Weapon Observation Response Division. Is that what it always stands for?

Not to my knowledge, usually the W stands for World and not Weapon. SWORD deals with extraterrestrial threats mainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

GigaPeon posted:

So I looked up SWORD on Wikipedia because I wasn’t sure what it’s deal was, and the part that references Wandavision is kinda spoilery so watch out. Sentient Weapon Observation Response Division. Is that what it always stands for?

I don’t know when I’m the MCU that was revealed, but in the comics it’s Sentient World Observation Research Division, a division of SHEILD that tracks extraterrestrial threats to Earth. Looks like they’re going in a different direction

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Edmund Lava posted:

I don’t know when I’m the MCU that was revealed, but in the comics it’s Sentient World Observation Research Division, a division of SHEILD that tracks extraterrestrial threats to Earth. Looks like they’re going in a different direction

Slight correction: They're parallel agencies, like the NSA and CIA, basically. Or used to be. SHIELD is basically gone in the comics right now and SWORD is run by the X-Men.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
it feels to me like SWORD is just being used as a replacement for SHIELD with little regard for the differences between the two in the source material, but we’re only two episodes in and Secret Invasion is coming so we’ll see

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maybe SWORD is where Nick Fury was at the end of Far From Home. Does SHIELD even exist any more?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
One detail I'm not sure anyone's noticed yet is that the animated intro to episode 2 has six stars form around the moon. Either it's supposed to be a hexagon like the iris out, or the six Infinity Stones, maybe both!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Just make a new Agents of SWORD spinoff but maintain the entire AoS cast and pretend like nothing happened.

Also the beekeeper should be Tony Todd. :unsmigghh:

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe SWORD is where Nick Fury was at the end of Far From Home. Does SHIELD even exist any more?

SHEILD does from Agents of SHEILD but I doubt they reference it much. The show did its own thing after season two and usually implied Fury was stilled believed to be dead.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The_Doctor posted:

This is such a loaded question I don't even know where to begin.

Short answer? Kinda'. And not just on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:lol: It seems a Spaniard voice actor might have spoilered Evan Peters' role.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

This is such a loaded question I don't even know where to begin.

Short answer? Kinda'. And not just on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

The skip ahead at the end of Agents implies it's a Thing again with an Academy and a Space Force.

But also they've traveled through alternate universes so much and traveled through time that who knows where that's all happening.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Edmund Lava posted:

SHEILD does from Agents of SHEILD but I doubt they reference it much. The show did its own thing after season two and usually implied Fury was stilled believed to be dead.

Fury literally shows up to say "I'm not dead" in AoS and saves the day. Fury just puts Coulson in charge, presumably to go form SWORD which is what he is doing in in the post credits of Spiderman Far From Home.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

If we're doing family sitcoms through the decades 50s, 60s, 70s, I wonder what the style of the 00's one will reference. I'm hoping Malcolm in the middle.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

People have pointed out that that could easily be supposed to be The Peak, which is the SWORD space station from the comics. I do think having Fury be in charge is a missed opportunity as Abigail Brand (his opposite number from SWORD) is a cool character in her own right and would be ripe to give a slightly older actress like a Laura Dern or similar a cool recurring role

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

For whatever reason I got Brand vibes from head of the ladies association.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

massive spider posted:

If we're doing family sitcoms through the decades 50s, 60s, 70s, I wonder what the style of the 00's one will reference. I'm hoping Malcolm in the middle.

Feige said in a GQ interview they’re doing Modern Family and the Office

Gaz-L posted:

People have pointed out that that could easily be supposed to be The Peak, which is the SWORD space station from the comics. I do think having Fury be in charge is a missed opportunity as Abigail Brand (his opposite number from SWORD) is a cool character in her own right and would be ripe to give a slightly older actress like a Laura Dern or similar a cool recurring role

Crazy haired space boss ladies that piss off nerds would be an interesting direction for Dern’s career and I’d be down for it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Klungar posted:

For whatever reason I got Brand vibes from head of the ladies association.

I'd be fine with Emma Caulfield-Ford in that role, sure. But Brand absolutely wouldn't be confused/scared upon snapping out of things, she'd throatpunch whoever she thought was behind it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

massive spider posted:

UPN's Shasta McNasty

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Desperado Bones posted:

:lol: It seems a Spaniard voice actor might have spoilered Evan Peters' role.

Not really? he did dubbing for him previously, he could just be being reused. Not necessarily for the same role. I know some actors have their go to dub replacements, could just be being done for WandaVision since that’s his most famous dub voice there.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Can't wait for the era of cameramen shifting their weight from side to side moving their handheld cameras in a figure 8 pattern between quick-zooms into character's faces to accentuate reactions and punclines.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Teek posted:

Not really? he did dubbing for him previously, he could just be being reused. Not necessarily for the same role. I know some actors have their go to dub replacements, could just be being done for WandaVision since that’s his most famous dub voice there.

I'm not sure, that's the rumor over twitter, and lots of sites are already running with it the actor allegedly said something like "I'm glad of dubbing Pietro's voice again" Allegedly, as it seems he deleted his tweet ASAP and there's not really way to confirm that. The only screencaps looks so low quality that it might be a fake.

Its Chocolate
Dec 21, 2019

Edmund Lava posted:

Reading some notes about the production it seems the crew did some serious research to get these kinds of sitcom history right. Apparently Dick Van Dyke was consulted on the production of episode one.

where are the production notes at

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Its Chocolate posted:

where are the production notes at

Shouldn’t have used the phrase “production notes” that’s my bad, just reading through some articles. This one talks about consulting Dick Van Dycke, some shooting techniques and practical effects. Fun note: Bethany was painted blue when he appeared as vision in B&W.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Edmund Lava posted:

Shouldn’t have used the phrase “production notes” that’s my bad, just reading through some articles. This one talks about consulting Dick Van Dycke, some shooting techniques and practical effects. Fun note: Bethany was painted blue when he appeared as vision in B&W.

Hah I can imagine them looking at B&W footage of him painted red and then immediately incinerating it.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
I'm enjoying getting my mum on board with this series. It started off with do you remember when we watched bewitched and i dream of jeannie when i was a kid. now im having to explain how wanda beat the poo poo out of thanos after he ripped visions (iron mans pal) indestructible head off in that movie we saw

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gaz-L posted:

Vision's daughter from the comics, Viv, is queer for sure, and I'm pretty sure only expressed interest in girls.

Nope; in the series where Viv first appears she has a great liking for her study partner at school.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Figured out how to improve the second episode.

https://twitter.com/barelysushi/status/1351330612133711874

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zoobtro posted:

I'm enjoying getting my mum on board with this series. It started off with do you remember when we watched bewitched and i dream of jeannie when i was a kid. now im having to explain how wanda beat the poo poo out of thanos after he ripped visions (iron mans pal) indestructible head off in that movie we saw

Disney+ has these 7 minute shorts called Legends that explain who Wanda/Vision are decently.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug

Open Source Idiom posted:

Not a Marvel fan, I find most of their stuff boring and haven't seen a film since Ultron. Hell, I barely remember that film; a mate had to point out that Wanda had a different accent in that film than she does here.

(Thank god I'm not a fan tbh, because if I was I know I'd find that opening scrawl they do cringe af. As it is, it's just kinda obnoxious.)

But this was a lot of fun, because it's not an action show. It's a super weird high concept sitcom, where the plot's equal parts ridiculous and dramatic -- kinda like Kidding or Avenue 5.

At the end of the day I don't know why the show is telling a story about comic book characters becoming sitcom characters, or why they're doing a paleontology of the American sitcom, but I want to know where that's going, and what the show's ultimate conclusions are going to be.

If it's just a high concept gimmick, then the show's a bit crap. But the way the show's been embracing crusty old sitcom scenarios (forgetting about an anniversary, the boss coming around to dinner, the husband and wife talent show), and mixing them with post-modern thriller aspects, makes me hopeful that they're actually going somewhere with it. What are they trying to say about the relationship between the comic and the romcom, and the contrast between 50's television and contemporary television?

What I really don't want is some utterly mundane action conclusion, where people sling magic lights at each other while they try to snap Wanda out of razzle-dazzle-ing the planet into Mister Roger's Neighborhood.

I guess what I'm saying is that I really hope these choices are artistically purposeful, and not just some gimmick-y narrative strip tease.

Honestly I think you're going to be disappointed if this is what you're hoping for. It's most definitely a high concept gimmick meant to enhance the superhero story. I wouldn't expect much deeper deconstruction from a marvel show. I'd appreciate that show too but it's definitely not that imo.

Thou I really enjoy this (and usually like most Marvel stuff anyway) and find it a pretty entertaining and fun show. I'm definitely hooked to see where it goes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Spacebump posted:

The second episode is better than the first. Vision's gum plot is just ridiculous

The_Doctor posted:

Bettany was absolutely channelling Richard E. Grant's Withnail in the talent show scene.

I thought Rik Mayall. Also I was delighted to see anya from buffy again.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 19, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sebmojo posted:

I thought Rik Mayall. Also I was delighted to see anya from buffy again.

Yeah I got strong Rik Mayall vibes too - it's the way his face screws backwards.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

stev posted:

Yeah I got strong Rik Mayall vibes too - it's the way his face screws backwards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74zjV9qDSqY

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Also, since there's a chance it'll come up, before Vision was killed by Thanos, Banner and Shuri were in the middle of mapping his brain structure to create a backup since destroying him was a last ditch option. Which Wanda had to do herself and then got to watch that sacrifice be rewound just so Thanos could do it himself.

Ohhh thank you for this. I had forgot all about that

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Jan 19, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SalTheBard posted:

Ohhh thank you for this. I had forgot all about that

Oh yeah I thought that was a dangling plot thread at the time but I'd forgotten

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

DuhSal posted:

Honestly I think you're going to be disappointed if this is what you're hoping for. It's most definitely a high concept gimmick meant to enhance the superhero story. I wouldn't expect much deeper deconstruction from a marvel show. I'd appreciate that show too but it's definitely not that imo.

Thou I really enjoy this (and usually like most Marvel stuff anyway) and find it a pretty entertaining and fun show. I'm definitely hooked to see where it goes.

I would definitely be interested in watching that show too, but yeah, this is still a Marvel Studios superhero series at the end of the day, though I'm sure some people will try to read in deeper commentary than what it can actually support.

On a similar note, I also wouldn't recommend the show to people who haven't watched much of the MCU up to this point. I've heard the first two episodes praised for their accessibility, which I guess is true given that they play the sitcom pastiche mostly straight and only hint at how all of this fits into the bigger MCU picture, but it's pretty safe to say that the story is going to go in a direction that's a lot more reliant on preexisting continuity.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

There really isn’t a whole lot to know that isn’t covered by the Wanda Legends short. I’m not even sure much of the Vision one is going to play into it. Other than that you have Monica, whose previous appearance was little more than an Easter egg, and Jimmy Woo, who doesn’t need much explanation.

Pretty sure they’ll exposition dump if we end up bringing characters from outside the MCU.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There can't be much more to know, since Wanda's total on-screen time is 20 minutes total before this, apparently and Vision would have even less.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

I know it is all speculation at this point, but giving the clues that have been found this might lead to something. The Russo brothers have said multiple times this is the next event they would want to do.

https://www.cbr.com/wandavision-wat...7TrN3lJyPyAYV6I

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

badjohny posted:

I know it is all speculation at this point, but giving the clues that have been found this might lead to something. The Russo brothers have said multiple times this is the next event they would want to do.

https://www.cbr.com/wandavision-wat...7TrN3lJyPyAYV6I

I thought the Russo's were done in the MCU now, and the next big villain was all but confirmed to be Kang the Conqueror; with an appearance in Ant-Man and setup to have the Young Avengers, who are tied to his origin if I recall between Wanda's upcoming kids, Kate Bishop Hawkeye, Cassie as a teen in the next Ant-Man etc. Also, I thought that watches were typically set to 10:10 in marketing to make the hands look like a smile rather than for symmetry?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Marvel has to date said nothing about what sort of connective thread is going to run through the upcoming slate. Kang seems like a safe bet because he's Kang, but for right now the focus appears to be on the individual movies and not on the build up to the next Avengers film, whatever that might be.

And the Russos have said they're done, but that they'd be willing to come back for Secret Wars. Of course that could've been a joke because they think Secret Wars is too silly to be made into a movie or something.