Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

ColdPie posted:

DQ11's story and writing and battle system are so cookie cutter I got bored and quit before the end of the demo.
DQ11 has some plot twists in it that are really unexpected and good, especially for the very traditional (a.k.a. "cookie cutter") nature of the series. They all come after where the demo ends, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Cartoon Man posted:

I still have nightmares about that loving morphball fight. I think they nerfed it from the GameCube original when the Wii port got released.

I just did it yesterday it was still pretty tough on the wii

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

is it the boost ball fight(?) where you’re locked in an arena with no safe zones and the drat dude spends 90% of the fight in an invincible puddle state while your health ticks down? good times.

i really want to replay those games, hey nintendo stop being stupid

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
DQ11 is a 10/10 at doing what it's trying to do. It's the pinnacle of that sort of thing.

Octopath is 8 or maybe 8.5/10 on the same scale.

Bravely Default is 9.5/10

But remember I'm grading them against their own promise, not against each other and if you don't like what they're trying to be, you wouldn't like them much even if they were 11/10

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Wii version has morphball jump on wiimote shake and it makes the spider guardian fight trivial

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I forget if anyone asked, but just came across this list of the fake wrestlers with the actual names in Wrestling Empire, if anyone wants to take the time to edit their whole roster one day:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UGVkldTtLHn-eISChpJKbokxe4dubnkAhpa1k6GWnQU/edit#gid=0

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Apex Legends is coming soon

https://twitter.com/TitanfallBlog/status/1351225101103071242?s=19

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Playing Apex Legends on Switch sounds about as bad as playing Overwatch on Switch

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Playing Apex Legends on Switch sounds about as bad as playing Overwatch on Switch

I don't know anything about Apex, but Fortnite is fun on Switch. Are they that different?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't know anything about Apex, but Fortnite is fun on Switch. Are they that different?

More graphics intensive, faster movement, faster time-to-kill, character classes, a focus on 3-player squads, and some verrry long sightlines in various areas of the map.

Lower playercount per match though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 18, 2021

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is it cross platform? I'll check it out if that's the case; a few friends and I play Fortnite fairly regularly, and it's a blast.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah it has crossplay. The way it currently works is that Xbox/Playstation players play together on the same servers, PC players have their own servers, but if you have a lobby with mixed PC/console players then you play on the PC servers.

I assume Switch players will get lumped into the Xbox/Playstation pool

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah, PC, Xbox, and PS4.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Whats a good starter weapon for monster hunter if you're a clumsy oaf who can't remember button combos and require extra safety. Sword and shield?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Whats a good starter weapon for monster hunter if you're a clumsy oaf who can't remember button combos and require extra safety. Sword and shield?

Hammer is pretty safe and easy, plus very satisfying.

Dual Blade is great for stick n run tactics while you're new and will eventually become a blender of death.

Lance is maybe the best all-arounder since it gets guards, counters and good range.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

Dual Blade is great for stick n run tactics while you're new and will eventually become a blender of death.

Lance is maybe the best all-arounder since it gets guards, counters and good range.

Great, thanks!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Insect glaive and be your ninja

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

yeah when I got into monhun the hammer was the only weapon that felt easy to use to me. Honestly the best idea is to just try out all the weapon and see if any of them "click" because it's surprising how many different weapons different people click with.

another approach would be to just pick the weapon you think looks the coolest and then force yourself to learn it :v:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've always liked hammer as an answer to this.

You've got basically 3 attacks, good mobility, visceral feedback, big numbers, KOs. The weapon can GET much more complex, but you can probably also beat every monster in the game with the three basic attacks and rolling out of danger.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Yeah Bowguns were the only thing that clicked for me at first, then I branched out to Gunlance and Hammer. It's interesting how different people ease into so many different weapons.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

So, what's the main draw of Monster Hunter games? And is the latest one "a good one", at least from the demo?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
None of the ranged weapons have ever made a lick of sense to me. You guys walked me through CB last week and I got OK with it (wasn't my thing, but I at least understood it well enough to pinpoint why), but I just constantly eat poo poo with the ranged weapons.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, what's the main draw of Monster Hunter games? And is the latest one "a good one", at least from the demo?

The fights are really well done, and the core gameplay loop is very strong. The weapons have been through enough iteration that they feel like the best versions of themselves. Everything is tightened up by now.

The game itself has a TON of personality. The monsters aren't just giant globs of recolored bits you smash until the loot pops out, they really go out of their way to make them feel like main characters, starting with the first, easiest fights.

The game is tough but never really "lol git good" tough. But it still manages to have a very VERY high mastery ceiling.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

the mindblowing amount of charm and cat puns

also Rise is shaping up to be the best Monster Hunter yet :dogcited:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

So, what's the main draw of Monster Hunter games?

One time i hunted a giant spider and fashioned its giant legs into a giant spider leg lance

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Huxley posted:

The game is tough but never really "lol git good" tough. But it still manages to have a very VERY high mastery ceiling.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Aside from what's been mentioned, the casual co-op is a big thing for me. ofc you can solo just about everything (it scales), but I always enjoy jumping in with randos or friends for some cool fun co-op hunting. It's not a game that demands careful coordination, everyone's knows why they're there going in.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 18, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

It scratches a similar itch to Souls games in terms of the dynamics of fighting a boss - learning it's moves and tells, as well as knowing how to make the most of your own weapon's moveset.

It's got a bit of a "grind" aspect - not like, mmo bear rear end grind, but like you're gonna be fighting some of these bosses again and again to make some cool pants and poo poo, so there's a pursuit aspect that encourages you to really learn the monsters. You might also find yourself grinding out particular gear sets or weapons to better deal with particular monsters, or to better suit certain weapons or roles. (There isn't any hard "tank/healer/dps" roles, but you can definitely kit yourself out to have a lot of support utility for your team)

Also, the multiplayer aspect. You can roll with up to 4 people and hunts on average last 10-30 minutes. So it can make for a great co-op game that you can play in short bursts.

e: More importantly, you get a cat pal who helps you out. They are cute. Rise also adds dog pals.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Hammer and SnS were my first Monster Hunter weapons, but Generations is where I fell in love with Lance. Fairly simple moveset and concept, but it really opens up when you realize that it has far more mobility than it seems at first. You can practically dance around a monster once you know what you're doing.

Also yes. Cat puns are a prime appeal.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
this is an actual screenshot from Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate on the Nintendo Switch

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Isabelle's in it?

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Fun Times! posted:

Isabelle's in it?

Yes.

(4U shot, but whatever)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

One time i hunted a giant spider and fashioned its giant legs into a giant spider leg lance

Ok, I think this did it.

Gonna give the demo a shot sometime this week, then.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fun Times! posted:

Isabelle's in it?
Animal Crossing DLC with a costume to make your cat look like Isabelle

MHGU also lets you play as the cat, which means....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1085202085811871744

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Downloaded the demo for Pixel Puzzle Makeout League and it seems like it isn't what the eShop blurb kind of sells it as, which is "dating sim with puzzles." At least so far I haven't seen any dating sim type stuff, that's kind of what made me disinterested in it. After the first set of puzzles it put me on four branching paths so I guess it's less "choose the right responses in the dialog" and more "pick a person you think seems cool" for who you date. The music is pretty good too.

I'm also thinking about getting that Metroid style Touhou game. I've heard it's pretty good I think?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Huxley posted:

MH games set a high bar for difficulty with me bc of this. You really do go into some fights, get your rear end handed to you, and think "How the hell am I supposed to do this? poo poo is impossible" but eventually you find yourself skinning its corpse. Beating the MHFU quest with two high rank Tigrex as solo Heavy Bowgun is probably the hardest thing I've ever done in a game but I fuckin did it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

multijoe posted:

On my replay the one that really stood out to me was the late game mech boss, when it gets on to low health dealing damage to it becomes really complicated and if you mess it up you have to do whole morph ball platforming section again

Ah, Quadraxis. I love the entire set piece it presents.

Of course, I was playing with a walkthrough.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rise will only be good if Zamtrios is in

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Not that I'm asking this in a "is that it?!" sort of way, but is there any other gameplay aspect of the MH games, outside of the main "go here kill this"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Not that I'm asking this in a "is that it?!" sort of way, but is there any other gameplay aspect of the MH games, outside of the main "go here kill this"?

That's the bulk of it but remember that the demo does not include the town, personal quarters, crafting, etc.

It's not an open world game like BOTW, each fight is and instanced arena but there can be a lot of factors that change how a match plays out.

I farmed a stupid hypno owl 15 times and each fight felt different enough (different pubbies helping) that I never got bored.

Like someone else said, you'll go from "this game is insane bullshit I can never win" to "lmao that giant dragon didn't even touch me and now I'm wearing his rear end for a hat" pretty quickly.