Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mister Speaker posted:

lol at still using stylii to scratch like some kind of neanderthal

For real though I have a pair of these and they're fine. I don't scratch, but they track really well.

I get that it's a joke but I actually was looking at phase, I thought they weren't capable of tracking more than minor scratching though?

Because yeah not being to worry about that anymore would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

site posted:

I get that it's a joke but I actually was looking at phase, I thought they weren't capable of tracking more than minor scratching though?

Because yeah not being to worry about that anymore would be cool
They're good, but not quick and if you scratch fast enough, they'll slip.
Still a cool piece of tech and likely good enough for mixing house or whatever.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

When I saw Jazzy Jeff talking about it I figured they were good enough for scratching. If anyone ever gets a chance to see him live I strongly suggest it. He's one of the cleanest, most perfect sounding hip hop DJs ever. He does occasional livestreams too.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Four Color Zack uses them regularly on his Twitch streams. Also just found this and they look like they're holding up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQUXSuuqHM

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hmmm well in that case $400 is more than I was looking to spend tbh but it is an investment in not having to buy replacements anymore... Guess I'll have to think on this

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

keevo posted:

Four Color Zack uses them regularly on his Twitch streams. Also just found this and they look like they're holding up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQUXSuuqHM

Scratching though?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

DMC 2013 champ Jon1st:

https://twitter.com/jon1st/status/1346534979434643462?s=20

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

sick

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Crime on a Dime posted:

Scratching though?

Ah you're right, my bad.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What are some recommended entry level DJ controllers with a built in soundcard these days? A buddy of mine with no other music hardware is looking for something to get started with, but I'm out of the game when it comes to current options. It seems like the DDJ-400 would be a solid choice that checks all the boxes @ ~$250, but is there anything else to consider?

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Splinter posted:

What are some recommended entry level DJ controllers with a built in soundcard these days? A buddy of mine with no other music hardware is looking for something to get started with, but I'm out of the game when it comes to current options. It seems like the DDJ-400 would be a solid choice that checks all the boxes @ ~$250, but is there anything else to consider?

That’s a very solid choice yeah, especially if he’s eventually going to play on cdjs.

Other options are:

NI kontrol s2/s4, a more luxurious experience but you have to use Traktor which may not fit well with future plans
Numark platinum fx, lots of features, uses serato which is pretty similar to rekordbox (what he’ll probably eventually use if he plays live), expensive for being a numark
Roland 202, don’t know poo poo about this but it does come with some cool emulators so if he’s doing live looping it could be interesting

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The DDJ-400 is a pretty solid unit; IMO the only other one worth looking at is something from NI. This might not be true anymore, but it's my understanding the converters in the NI hardware are much better than Pioneer's, if that makes a difference for your friend. I always used to recommend NI units over Pioneer to beginners because I feel Traktor is both way more intuitive and user-friendly and more versatile - if they decide they want to get into Remix Decks, etc. they can do that with Traktor but not so much with Pioneer. That said, these days I don't do any of that stuff anymore and I keep Traktor around only really as a backup, in case I have to play a party where I'm jumping around genres and playing stupid poo poo like oldies (which, lol, is never going to happen again in this hellworld). Rekordbox has gotten up there in terms of usability, neck-and-neck with Traktor these days, and it's my primary software for 'big boy' sets, keeping quarterly playlists, etc. The other big advantage of going with a Pioneer controller is that the physical layout is almost always the same as a CDJ/DJM setup, so if you ever have to play on a club's backline you're probably better-equipped to do so than someone who's only used NI hardware.

So, if they're planning on bedroom DJing and taking the controller with them to house parties and that's it, I would recommend NI. If they aspire to run the CDJs in a club like none of us will ever do again, go with a Pioneer unit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like my DDJ 400 a lot, it comes with full Rekordbox and also works with Djay. All you need is headphones and speakers. I suggest picking up the Decksaver too, I don’t think cheap controllers are a built to keep out dust like pro gear.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah I'm thinking the DDJ-400 is probably the way to go, as I think the significantly lower price over an S2 will be a more important "feature" than converters and build quality for him at this point. I'm actually still rocking a 10+ year old S4 mk1 (and Traktor 2 for that matter) because it's continued to "just work", so I appreciate Traktor (am a little peeved NI can't be bothered to update their Mac drivers to support newer OS versions so this will become a paperweight if I ever get a new Mac laptop though), but I think at this point he's just looking for something as cheap as possible to see if this is something he wants to get into (at which point he'll have a better idea of what features he cares about before buying something better).

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Where do you guys go to promote your events, if you're doing virtual streams? I've been doing stuff on Twitch for almost a year now and I'm kind of hitting dead ends. Part of the reason I think is that most of my social circle where I'm at are strictly doing goth/industrial/EBM while I specialize in more underground and experimental electronic music with a focus on Middle Eastern, African and South Asian artists and labels. I FINALLY made an actual dedicated instagram (yeee https://www.instagram.com/_djcherry_/), which was a really good idea I think, but I need to figure out how to actually reach the correct audience.

Any recommendation/insight/advice?

Regarding controllers, I've been using a Hercules DJControl Compact which has given me most of the functionality I've needed thus far....though now that I've had a fair amount of practice I think I'm ready to upgrade to something with a few more knobs and poo poo.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Nobody watches streams or virtual events, so there’s your problem

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

abuse culture. posted:

Nobody watches streams or virtual events, so there’s your problem

I don't know about that. I got about 4 dj buddies started on twitch this year, 2 of them are averaging 30-40 CCV while another is averaging about 80-100. They are loving it and having a blast on the platform.

Side question: Anyone have experience using google drive for backups? I have an unlimited GDrive account, and I'd love to tie that into my serato library somehow.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

itsdereksmifz posted:

I don't know about that. I got about 4 dj buddies started on twitch this year, 2 of them are averaging 30-40 CCV while another is averaging about 80-100. They are loving it and having a blast on the platform.

Side question: Anyone have experience using google drive for backups? I have an unlimited GDrive account, and I'd love to tie that into my serato library somehow.

Yeah my weird circle of goth/ebm DJs get some pretty decent viewership. My one friend who has been spinning for like two decades started pandemic streaming and is at almost 2k followers.

I average 10-15 people per stream but I’m pretty niche and also bad at self promotion.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I actually discovered goth edm from surfing twitch this summer lol

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

site posted:

I actually discovered goth edm from surfing twitch this summer lol

I dunno if it’s kosher to promote all my cool DJ friends here, but if you want more I’ve got a whole list of people to follow

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Ya'll, hello thread. I haven't been here in a while. I have been streaming quite a bit, and I've converted to doing a weekly show at 4pm PST on Mondays.

For actual content: I got a Traktor S4 mk3 a few days ago. The thing is a BEAST. I upgraded from a mk2, and they are totally different units. The audio quality is significantly improved, all of the buttons and knobs are much higher quality, the deck and mixer layouts seem way more professional, and as a bonus, the LEDs are much nicer. The drive motors are pretty cool, they are very fun to use. I am still getting used to the differences between jog and TT. Overall, I feel more professional, more in control, and that I have more options while mixing than using it over the mk2.

Uh, and a question. Here is my stream setup, I'm interested to know of anything I may be missing that I can add on to make my life better. I've been slowly improving:

Hardware:
- Macbook pro w/ fiber connection
- Traktor S4 mk3, output routed to input for streaming.
- - 2x Logitech Brio (4k) (got a second, not sure how to really manage two so they are static for now. Perhaps there is a way to have an automatic switching of which cam is used? I see some talk about that blackmagicdesign stuff, but I still dont fully understand it's use and it is very pricey poo poo)
- Webcam mounts

Software:
OBS Streamlabs - upgraded recently from OBS, I had read OBS was better but that was B.S.

Lighting:
- LED Stage lights
- nanoleaf backdrop
- candles

Things I'm trying to understand how to improve:
- multiple cams (switching?)
- video effects (does ANYONE have any idea how this stuff works? I'm referencing for example https://twitch.tv/jeromeismaae. Granted, he has a dedicated video guy and is a professional, but how do they do this? anyone know?)

(edit oops, didnt see this new post:)

CherryCola posted:

Yeah my weird circle of goth/ebm DJs get some pretty decent viewership. My one friend who has been spinning for like two decades started pandemic streaming and is at almost 2k followers.

I average 10-15 people per stream but I’m pretty niche and also bad at self promotion.

Ignoring that 2nd part, have you considered trying to setup a raid with some of your DJ friends? It can go both ways, on different days. It seems like a good way to get more followers. But of course, you have to reach out and ask - but if they are your friends, im sure they would be willing to help.

Also, hey, 10-15 live viewers is more than I get and something to be proud of. I sit at an average viewership of 5, with my streams getting around 30 live views on average

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 20, 2021

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

Raid trains are amazing and is really working well for alot of DJ's on the platform right now.

What else could you use? I would HIGHLY recommend something like a stream deck for any kind of video production work. It will help you be able to switch scenes/graphics on the fly.

itsdereksmifz fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 20, 2021

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

mitztronic posted:

Things I'm trying to understand how to improve:
- multiple cams (switching?)
- video effects (does ANYONE have any idea how this stuff works? I'm referencing for example https://twitch.tv/jeromeismaae. Granted, he has a dedicated video guy and is a professional, but how do they do this? anyone know?)

I've not used OBS for years but you should be able to set up the scene switcher (there was a plugin called Advanced Scene Switcher that was great for this sort of thing but it might well be in the core software now), essentially you want each cam set up as a different scene then set your trigger conditions to switch between them, you can assign the trigger to be you pushing something if you want to do it manually or some sort of time based change. Depending on where your cameras are you might want to do picture in picture then just have the scenes reverse every now and then.

You can do the same thing with visual filters, I'm not sure if there's a better way of doing this but you can set up scenes with the filters applied then set your switcher to randomly select from one of the effects, again your trigger can be manual or time based.

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January

itsdereksmifz posted:

Raid trains are amazing and is really working well for alot of DJ's on the platform right now.

What else could you use? I would HIGHLY recommend something like a stream deck for any kind of video production work. It will help you be able to switch scenes/graphics on the fly.

If you've got any old midi dj controllers kicking around you can also use a bit of midi yoke software to turn those inputs into controls for most video software, https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/midicontrol-control-obs-and-soundboard-with-midi-input.940/ works well for OBS.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

It’s possible this has been fixed but this is why I use OBS over Stream Labs

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1268804341701337091?s=21

itsdereksmifz
Apr 30, 2019

Streamlabs has a ton of questionable business practices and in my experience, OBS studio just runs better.. and now that the twitch creator dashboard shows most of the same info.. I'm 100% team OBS Studio

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

mitztronic posted:

Ignoring that 2nd part, have you considered trying to setup a raid with some of your DJ friends? It can go both ways, on different days. It seems like a good way to get more followers. But of course, you have to reach out and ask - but if they are your friends, im sure they would be willing to help.

Also, hey, 10-15 live viewers is more than I get and something to be proud of. I sit at an average viewership of 5, with my streams getting around 30 live views on average

Yeah that's something I need to work on. As I mentioned before most of the people I hang out with are almost strictly goth/darkwave/edm based and while at least once a month I do a stream focusing on those genres, I'm mostly playing other types of electro genres. So I probably need to connect/network with more people who have a similar niche. Textbeak is one I follow quite a bit since his mixes often cover a whole range of genres but still flow together quite well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CherryCola posted:

I dunno if it’s kosher to promote all my cool DJ friends here, but if you want more I’ve got a whole list of people to follow

Yeah go ahead and PM me some, I wouldn't mind checking out more

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

DJ EZ is just over 2 hours into a 24hr live charity set.

If you don't know the man he's been around for decades and is one of few DJs who since the early days had been doing crazy mixes with tunes, using the mixer effects to pull some innovative mixes. He's truly one of the best in the business and you could do a lot worse than check him out to maybe catch a tip or two. I've been lucky to catch him live a few times and his sets are always have ridiculous energy.

I should add he's known for abusing the poo poo out of the cue buttons and tempo faders to basically create his own remixes within a track itself.

https://youtu.be/e0ln3IX1itA

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 23, 2021

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ he's done the 24hrs and is still going... Jealous of that music library fr :aaaaa:

Hopefully some maniac puts out the track list because that right there is a huge, huge chunk of pure DJ gold.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 24, 2021

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

mitztronic posted:

Ya'll, hello thread. I haven't been here in a while. I have been streaming quite a bit, and I've converted to doing a weekly show at 4pm PST on Mondays.

Been loving these sets by the way - hello from pizzadaddy!

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^ he's done the 24hrs and is still going... Jealous of that music library fr :aaaaa:

Hopefully some maniac puts out the track list because that right there is a huge, huge chunk of pure DJ gold.

I caught about the first three hours live; lots of classic uk garage and cue button abusing, was great!

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Beatport is really going downhill on their website, especially with UI problems

For at least the past two weeks, the 'play all' and 'add to playlist' buttons have been broken. They're aware of it but somehow this simple issue is not fixable in 2 weeks despite being a huge user issue and reported many times. There is no ETA from them. I'm a software dev and this is the kind of bug that should be fixable in an hour or two. You would think it would be high priority since it effects listening.

On Safari, right now you cannot always add tracks or albums to your cart. I am using chrome now, but this is just another example of the most critical functions of the site not working.

On tablets, the playlist drawer is gone and the volume slider doesn't work.

It's especially unfortunate that even with these issues, it's still a better site to use than the competitors...

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

mitztronic posted:

Beatport is really going downhill on their website, especially with UI problems

For at least the past two weeks, the 'play all' and 'add to playlist' buttons have been broken. They're aware of it but somehow this simple issue is not fixable in 2 weeks despite being a huge user issue and reported many times. There is no ETA from them. I'm a software dev and this is the kind of bug that should be fixable in an hour or two. You would think it would be high priority since it effects listening.

On Safari, right now you cannot always add tracks or albums to your cart. I am using chrome now, but this is just another example of the most critical functions of the site not working.

On tablets, the playlist drawer is gone and the volume slider doesn't work.

It's especially unfortunate that even with these issues, it's still a better site to use than the competitors...

My absolute fav bport thing is always having to login every visit, remember me never ever works

The new downloader is pretty bad too, I can only do one track at a time or it fucks up

I've been using bandcamp mostly now but it's hard to discover new music on the site

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Whenever I log into Beatport it has a song in the player I don't ever remember listening to, one called I Kill Everything I gently caress. Mildly disconcerting.

*edit: it has been this way for several years despite playing other tunes in the meantime. No idea what the hell is going on with it at all.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hello.

I just need somewhere to post that I am really tired of maintaining the driver that lets you use Hercules DJ controllers with Mixxx in Linux.

Thanks for your attention.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Using anything not designed for Linux seems like an exercise in frustration, getting some software to work on operating systems the thing is designed for can be bad enough.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

The controllers are actually very well designed, but for some reason rather than send MIDI over USB, they send MIDI over the USB bulk interface. Maybe it saved them 5¢ per unit or something, I don't know. But it means I'm stuck maintaining this thing until judgement day and trumpets sound.

This is the high cost of curiosity, folks. If you find yourself asking "how hard could it be", it's time to find a new line of inquiry!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Dealing with controllers/ software is one of the things that led me to just buy turntables and start collecting vinyl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I've got a new mix up

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-rocktober/

All vinyl (mostly) live. Little bit of weirdness, rock, ambient and hiphop.