Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah he was with the Whitebeard Pirates simply because he judged that they had the best shot at finding the fruit. If he himself was the one to find it and have a claim on it, great, but being higher up wouldn't have affected that (Thatch had the claim because he found it, not because of his position iirc) and someone else finding it obviously wasn't going to be an impediment to him taking it either.

I also imagine just being a crewmember allowed him the option of flitting between ships and divisions a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

He was also trying to stay under the radar iirc

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Luffy and Zoro are on the main stage but it seems early for the final showdown. I don't believe we've had a situation where the big bad was defeated before most of the underlings had been dealt with

Onigashima is floating while this is all happening and everyone is still inside. Which is a plot point that needs to be resolved before beating Kaido

Also I feel like Momo and Yamato need to show up and give a big speech to Kaido before this can end

we're probably going to get cutaways from the fight like we usually do. luffy started fighting lucci parway into the arc and after several fights had already established.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
that's fair, we also had the same thing with the Katakuri fight

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

You do, that's what Shanks told Whitebeard. Of course, Shanks learnt that the hard way, since Blackbeard was the one to give him the scars above his eye, after Shanks underestimated him during a fight between Redhaird Pirates and Whitebeard Pirates.

Blackbeard was an absolute unknown with a bounty of zero before becoming a Warlord of the Sea, and that was by choice.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
blackbeard is such a cool character

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Warden posted:

You do, that's what Shanks told Whitebeard. Of course, Shanks learnt that the hard way, since Blackbeard was the one to give him the scars above his eye, after Shanks underestimated him during a fight between Redhaird Pirates and Whitebeard Pirates.

Blackbeard was an absolute unknown with a bounty of zero before becoming a Warlord of the Sea, and that was by choice.

I think Shanks specifically says that he wasn't underestimating Teach.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Yeah, his overall plan was to get the darkness fruit and then go off and become the Pirate King. He was using Whitebeard and didn't want to be tied to him after he got what he wanted. So the best thing for his plans was to be a background character in the Whitebeard pirates, getting all the benefits but none of the responsibility.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I bet we have a scene where someone tries to sabotage Luffy and Kaido executes them. Hoping it's Perospero.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Sub Harrison posted:

I bet we have a scene where someone tries to sabotage Luffy and Kaido executes them. Hoping it's Perospero.

nah perospero is carrots fight

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Perospero is being eviscerated by a dog and rabbit tag team as we speak.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Law’s so fuckin funny I’m going to die.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Perospero is being eviscerated by a dog and rabbit tag team as we speak.

:hmmyes:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I just learned that the English dub has only just hit Dressrosa. :psyduck: Holy balls, that is a long way back.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I just learned that the English dub has only just hit Dressrosa. :psyduck: Holy balls, that is a long way back.

They only just came back recently, prior to that they were stalled for a while after finishing Fishman Island for some reason (though they still dubbed some of the specials and movies that came in between that)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think they slowed way down on the not-movie stuff cause, yeah, selling the OP anime for money and not just as a thing that comes with a Crunchyroll sub is a pretty unenviable task so its sales slowed down more and more as the filler gets worse. I think they dubbed Punk Hazard way back in 2019 but yeah, covid adjustments and all.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

https://i.imgur.com/ejXc8bK.mp4

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy loving poo poo that is amazing.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
that owns

thats probably my favorite oda face fault and finding new diegetic reasons for characters to use it specifically over whatever expression kills me

when that was linked in a spoiler a while back i genuinely thought it was someones well-drawn fanart bc idk i guess my brain just didnt process it happening in the high stakes payoff the chapter was clearly going to be which is a frankly embarrassing fail for a supposed op fan tbh........

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

:eyepop:

I wonder if there's gonna be another one for Kidd too

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Coming to this thread just now was the best choice of my life. :allears:

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Caidin posted:

From his dialogue I thought he was going to hit Kaido with that Radioknife or whatever thing he hit Doflamingo with that shreds you internally but the he just like... hit with him with rocks I think?

I mean it kinda does matter that he threw incredibly sharp rocks at him, everyone is pretending like he just threw round rocks at him lol

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Fuckin Law, i'm dead, besto emoboy

Also re-read this chapter 5 times or so by now and this chapter is basically Oda doing Bleach 1 billion times better than Bleach and at a pace of a Bleach chapter per page. This entire chapter is basically just all the god drat Bleach tropes, except done well. We got surprise attack from behind, times two! We got villain with so much spirit pressure he can't even be scratched unless you're Ichigo. We got villain taking hits and erupting from cloud of smoke basically unharmed. We got dumb midfight jokes with idiot heroes. If you include last chapter then we got main hero just arriving from running up and down snake road and unleashing his new bankai attack after training for weeks. We got so many ridiculously cool poses, but they were effortlessly drawn without being overdone and didn't take up full spreads so not sure that counts as Bleach. Man gently caress Bleach!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I kept thinking Law was being shown with a weird dark look on his face because he was going to betray them but it turns out he was just getting progressively more annoyed that he was looking like a subordinate and finally decided he couldn’t let it go in the middle of a fight with emperors. That’s some awesome characterization.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Bisse posted:

Fuckin Law, i'm dead, besto emoboy

Also re-read this chapter 5 times or so by now and this chapter is basically Oda doing Bleach 1 billion times better than Bleach and at a pace of a Bleach chapter per page. This entire chapter is basically just all the god drat Bleach tropes, except done well. We got surprise attack from behind, times two! We got villain with so much spirit pressure he can't even be scratched unless you're Ichigo. We got villain taking hits and erupting from cloud of smoke basically unharmed. We got dumb midfight jokes with idiot heroes. If you include last chapter then we got main hero just arriving from running up and down snake road and unleashing his new bankai attack after training for weeks. We got so many ridiculously cool poses, but they were effortlessly drawn without being overdone and didn't take up full spreads so not sure that counts as Bleach. Man gently caress Bleach!

Lol more like the peak bleach was copying mid -tier OP.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

About Law's choice to attack with rocks instead of his other cooler moves, just wanna nerd out a little on it here, his power while cool was buffed into being OP and unmanageable from a writer perspective in Punk Hazard, his magical-ish skill set has really been scaled down since then. You could probably argue for Haki blocking magical attacks like the soul swap just because we haven't seen those attempt to get prevented in any manner yet, but the whole Vergo encounter really kills all those arguments when it comes to just his basic Room and Chambres. Tough skin doesn't seem like it should matter for using his cutting moves they way they have been presented before.

That said, I can see some valid reasons why he wouldn't use them here.

The main thing to keep in mind is that Law is a glass cannon. Luffy just took a hit from Kaido and recovered, Kidd and the sword dudes could probably survive it, but I feel like Law would just be loving pancaked and die on the spot. He could probably do something to avoid Big Mom, but Kaido is literally so fast that, when close, you can't dodge him even when predicting his moves, so being targeted by Kaido here would be death for Law. So Law really needs to stay in a support role at a safe distance and avoid be targeted by Kaido specifically.

That means:

- Using his slicing/chambers moves as attacks would be suicide.
They could possibly maybe work, depending on how you want to read the Vergo encounter and apply it here. But they do not do actual damage. Using it on Big Mom is pointless because she has her souls to still attack and also help put her back together. Using it on Kaido could maybe work as a momentary one-time emergency trick if necessary, but he can transform back and forth to probably undo the effect, and even without that I feel like a Kaido without legs could still Lightning Bagua you from a mile away through just sheer arm strength.
But the main drawback is it makes Law more of a target. So he would be accomplishing nothing and putting himself in the spotlight by using them.

- Same logic behind position swapping the emperors.
Good as an emergency measure one time, after that he's got a bigger target on his back. The one offensive use here would be causing the Emperors to hit each other, but they just spent two loving days doing literally exactly that and then came right back to drink beer and party so ha ha ha uh naah idk

- Trying to use the Radio Knife(?) move he used on Doflamingo would also be suicide and also possibly not work.
...because it seems to require him getting close and physically touching Kaido. That tells me that it is an attack that needs to pierce through the skin, which could fail or reduce its effectivity against Kaido. If Kaido survives the attack or at least is not instantly knocked out (Keep in mind Doflamingo took severe damage but did not get knocked out and would have taken a bit of time to die), Law will then be right next to a fully awake Kaido, which is suicide for him.

- Soul Swap, I'm gonna give Oda the benefit of doubt here on this dumb comedy move and hazard a guess it would just fail because Haki or something.

Piercing Rock Slam Attack is a much better choice in this situation because it keeps Law at a safe distance, while hopefully dealing some actual physical damage unlike all his other long-distance moves. It is also a good move here because Kaido is testing their strength, so while braindead idiots like Luffy and Kidd come in blowing their strongest poo poo right away and giving the opponent too much information, Law can use a decent attack now and save his better tricks for finishing moves or emergency situations.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 18, 2021

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

My general take is that functionally there is very little difference between Law's Big Lump of Rocks and Kidd's Big Lump of Metal because ultimately they're just things that are heavy as poo poo that Law and Kidd can get good velocity behind via their respective powers. One method is just has more form to it than the other.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah obviously the main difference between the two is that Kidd's scrap metal mecha is extremely rad while sharp rocks are just kinda boring.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I figure Law’s not trying to cut Big Mom or Kaido in half because doing so would only inconvenience them at most and it would drain so much of his stamina that it would take him out of the fight completely.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I've always assumed that Law's powers are based on his own physical strength - if he can cut something in half with his sword, then he can cut it in half with Room. It probably doesn't work on Kaido for the same reason that everyone else can't hurt Kaido.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
in any case itd be nice if oda said what the limitation here is. it could be any of these really

i do like the idea that he just has stronger haki than vergo but nothing close to kaido and would get owned super hard by a straight up attack here

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
The way I remember it, Vergo straight up says that his Haki will make him immune to Law's power and Law is like "I've leveled up since then, rear end in a top hat". I can see not using it on two people who are normally indestructible.

Also lol, of course Law isn't gonna use SOUL swapping on Big Mom, that's maybe the stupidest thing he could do.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Didn't Law also cut the island in half when he cut virgo on punk hazard

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah but imagine not being able to cut through rock or metal in the New World, you'd have to be a complete scrub to be unable to do that.

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Even if the Room teleporting thing is instant, Law has to have some insane reaction time if he's able to snatch up Luffy mid-swing.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I always imagined it’s a mental fortitude thing. He says during Dressrosa that bigger rooms drain him more, perhaps it’s because he’s having to mentally track everything inside of the room. That’s gotta be draining if that’s the case, like needing to keep on top of twenty dynamically updating spreadsheets.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

There's a physical aspect to it too. When Law hit Doffy with the gamma knife he said the effort of maintaining a Room so big that the edges weren't visible was shortening his life. I assume that's why the immortality procedure kills the user, the operation is so complex that nobody can survive the drain.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Lmao that chapter fukkin owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
love how the new generations are all prideful morons in their own ways (and in the same ways)