Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Policenaut posted:

One of the best parts about buying PS5 to me was finally being able to pass down the DS4 to my gaming PC/RetroPie without worry. Now I can play all this stuff with a comfy DS4 instead if a crappy generic gamepad.
A much cheaper way to do that is to get a second DS4 (but I still agree - now I can use my good DS4 for my PC gaming instead of my lovely one with a flimsy trigger and plastic stick protectors due to flaking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I've been thinking of picking up an 8bitdo for my sister. Maybe one of the snes like ones because she isn't going to be using the sticks much (helps that those are cheaper).

But DS4 is kinda the ultimate pc controller for me becuase of how much extra key mapping you can do with the touchpad. Sometimes I just have media controls there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I've been thinking of picking up an 8bitdo for my sister. Maybe one of the snes like ones because she isn't going to be using the sticks much (helps that those are cheaper).

I have the 8BitDo SNES controller, it’s excellent. I used it for my RetroPi for a while but I liked it so much I now use it as my main Switch controller.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ghostinmyshell posted:

This has happened to me twice and it was for usually whatever $100 bundle of CoD or Battlefield they were advertising. Sony refunded both twice since never launched them, probably because I said just give me credit and wasn't a jerk. After that I stopped using DS4s for PC related things.

I've had massive problems with this when going from a friend's PC to a PS4 to my PC/PS4/etc. to the point where we all just have our own extra controllers now. It's because after a certain update (I forget which/what year) the PS4 dual shock doesn't ACTUALLY fully disconnect from anything for real. And like if you use your controllers only on your PS4 that's great but uh :wtc: Even using a cable didn't make a difference.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I have the 8BitDo SNES controller, it’s excellent. I used it for my RetroPi for a while but I liked it so much I now use it as my main Switch controller.

The one with sticks? I'm guessing the sticks aren't comfortable to use for long periods given the lack of grips?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Akuma posted:

Oh wow The Ancient Gods Part One doesn't gently caress around.

I was worried that I suck rear end but I was seeing posts along the lines of folks cruising through the base game on Nightmare and even pulling some of the other harder challenge choices, but having to lower the difficulty on Ancient Gods. So it really is crazy.

I do appreciate it though, it really has me using every ability and quirk of how the doom slayer controls and almost every weapon mod just to get by.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

Rinkles posted:

But DS4 is kinda the ultimate pc controller for me becuase of how much extra key mapping you can do with the touchpad. Sometimes I just have media controls there.

After ditching the DS4 and xbone controllers I settled on the 8bitdo pads and have been very happy with them.

I have two of these for 99% PC gaming usage https://www.8bitdo.com/sn30-pro-plus/ and two of these for fighting games and the 3rd/4th players for 4 player games https://www.8bitdo.com/m30/

You can actually buy these at Best Buys so you could always try it out and return it if you don't like it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Neo Rasa posted:

I was worried that I suck rear end but I was seeing posts along the lines of folks cruising through the base game on Nightmare and even pulling some of the other harder challenge choices, but having to lower the difficulty on Ancient Gods. So it really is crazy.

I do appreciate it though, it really has me using every ability and quirk of how the doom slayer controls and almost every weapon mod just to get by.
I actually died once. That's hosed up.

I was playing on easy though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

rabidsquid posted:

i dont see the purpose in this, people have different taste and i don't see any reason to spend money reaffirming your own taste. but then again i also don't see why people feel the need to argue with others that actually they don't like things right, and that seems to be the crux of "game is bad" arguments so

Well I do try to approach these things with an open mind. The goal is not to reaffirm my own tastes, it's quite the opposite actually

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I've got a wired AmazonBasics Xbone controller for my PC that feels a little cheap (not awful, just not as good as the genuine wireless one I have) but works well. I use that for Fall Guys mostly.

I've also got a Steam Controller which owns for playing menu driven games on the couch (Sunless Seas/Skies) as well as Rocket League - took a little getting used to for the latter but now I can't go back to a regular controller. I bought a second one when Steam was closing them out for $2.50 each or whatever because I want a backup in case my original one ever breaks.

Need to get around to figuring out a good button map for Crusader Kings sometime.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

fridge corn posted:

Well I do try to approach these things with an open mind. The goal is not to reaffirm my own tastes, it's quite the opposite actually

nope youre a dingus too just face to how none of us are as dumb as all of us

o wait that other guy is so much worse

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Rinkles posted:

This is sort of unrelated, but the wireless adapter 8bitdo makes works so well with everything I’ve tried it with, and also makes basically any controller compatible with whatever. I got it so I could use a DS4 with my switch, but it turned out to be easier to use it to connect the DS4 to my PC as well instead of messing with software to get it working and i can also play PS3 games with a DS4 using it. Maybe the DS4 isn’t as much of a pain to get working with a computer now, but I remember when Sekiro came out there were tons of forum posts and Steam threads about the DS4 just not working at all for Sekiro, and I tried the 8bitdo and it worked somehow. But yeah, I highly recommend this if you do want to use a dual shock 4 with some other console, at least, and it says it works with ‘most controllers’.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/8bitdo...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

So now having played through Doom Eternal and some of TAGP1 I have some Marauder opinions! My opinions are that they're fun to fight and I enjoyed it when they turned up. Forcing me to use a specific gun in a specific way didn't bother me at all because there's only a handful of them in the entire game and I get to use whatever weapon I want in whatever way I want with literally every other one of the hundreds of enemies.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I HAVE OPINIONS ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Casnorf posted:

I HAVE OPINIONS ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS
Oh poo poo

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Well poo poo, I'm glad I'm not alone, and thank you guys. I can't talk on the phone cuz my mouth is all swollen up, but I did manage to use the live support chat thing and looks like I'm getting the refund for the $33.

I actually loved Just Cause 3 as it was the first game I ever bought digitally when I got this console, and so I was kinda looking forward to buying JC4 eventually. But seriously $32 STILL for the expansion? Pfft. Thanks guys!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was on sale recently when JC4 was on PS+

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Akuma posted:

So now having played through Doom Eternal and some of TAGP1 I have some Marauder opinions! My opinions are that they're fun to fight and I enjoyed it when they turned up. Forcing me to use a specific gun in a specific way didn't bother me at all because there's only a handful of them in the entire game and I get to use whatever weapon I want in whatever way I want with literally every other one of the hundreds of enemies.

I had a really tough time with the very first encounter in the base game but in general I liked them too and they weren't overused.

There's two particular encounters in Ancient Gods that are like uh wow really? The way they're setup lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
The whole world behaves as if society has BPD. It seems to me to be extremely rare these days to acknowledge something has good and bad sides.

Cyberpunk is an extremely good game, but it was also released broken and lacks a bunch of things that your ubisoft or Rockstar wouldn't have forgotten to put in

But, since we're all "splitting" now, lots of people will tut tut at you if you say that, because ubisoft did the sex crimes and Rockstar did a crunch so we have to demonize them while deifying CDPR.

And, if you say stuff like I'm saying now, some people will rake you over the coals for trying to "both sides" it.

Humans are weird and hosed up; groups of humans doubly so. Very few people "are" good or bad. They're usually both.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Simone Magus posted:

Cyberpunk is an extremely good game, but it was also released broken and lacks a bunch of things that your ubisoft or Rockstar wouldn't have forgotten to put in
I don’t understand why those things you mentioned aren’t part of your evaluation of it as an “extremely good game”. Are you only counting the things that did right and not the things that it did wrong?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Akuma posted:

Oh poo poo

I don't like the use of Marauder
Eternal; they're tacked on with solder
If they work for you
Then for you that's what's true
My dissent don't mean more than DOOM fodder

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don’t understand why those things you mentioned aren’t part of your evaluation of it as an “extremely good game”. Are you only counting the things that did right and not the things that it did wrong?

You can enjoy a game and also note that it has flaws, something SA in general very often forgets

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

You can enjoy a game and also note that it has flaws, something SA in general very often forgets

nuh unh

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

i don't know if other countries pronounce solder different but the rhyme only works if you say it like i do

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

It wasn’t phrased as personal enjoyment though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I suppose it depends on whether you're talking about it as a game or as a product.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

Things can be extremely enjoyable and objectively flawed at the same time, I think.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I honestly dont know how to respond to that other than making a sort of deflating balloon noise so I'm going to sleep

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Am I playing wrong? Is it because i have the game set to hard mode? I don't mind having to use status effects or whatever, and i don't feel underleveled because I'm roughly the same level as the persona I am fighting, but it just feels like the game can't really be balanced in such a way that you can just be instantly killed by a massive AoE attack before youre given a chance to do anything, can it? Does every palace have an enemy like this or the armored angel? I don't wanna bump the game down to normal if I can help it, but I would love to know if there's a mechanic i'm missing that causes every fight to actually be a 4 round attrition match that ends in getting one-shot anyway.

You should be fusing personas to counter your weaknesses, especially on hard. If you're getting killed by that AoE attack, it's time to go back and get a resist/null phys persona. But also, you're probably a bit underleveled, the tengus shouldn't be a problem if you're already in the treasure room (mabufu + all-out attack and you're done in one turn)

EDIT: Also, go and buy some armor if you haven't. The stock in the gun store gets refreshed every palace and it can help a lot.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 19, 2021

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Simone Magus posted:

Things can be extremely enjoyable and objectively flawed at the same time, I think.

The problem seems to be that people can’t accept that some see those flaws as making it a bad game. Assuming you have to look past the flaws as the default reaction instead of being deal breaking

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

it's a video game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm happy I don't have to give CP77 a grade because I wouldn't want to give such a busted game high marks, and yet personally that's what I feel it deserves.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CP2077 is a highly uneven game so it's not surprising that it would generate many polarizing opinions in people.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I tend to think of that kind of thing in terms of the difference between 'chess' the game and 'a chessboard' as in the thing you pay money for. Chess is chess, there's nothing about its quality as a game that can really be argued with. A chessboard that is so badly made that you can barely tell the squares apart and which has malformed pieces that can barely even stand up straight isn't something that most people would say is fit for its purpose, though, or worth the money they paid for it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cardiovorax posted:

I tend to think of that kind of thing in terms of the difference between 'chess' the game and 'a chessboard' as in the thing you pay money for. Chess is chess, there's nothing about its quality as a game that can really be argued with. A chessboard that is so badly made that you can barely tell the squares apart and which has malformed pieces that can barely even stand up straight isn't something that most people would say is fit for its purpose, though, or worth the money they paid for it.
There’s no way to argue about chess’s quality as a game? I’m not a chess expert but I highly doubt that. I’ve read analyses of all kinds of board games and you can absolutely argue points about them, and I doubt chess is an exception.

Edit: Googling, I wonder if chess is a sacred cow and no one has seriously analyzed its weaknesses as a game? I’ve read analyses of Go that were like that.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 19, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem seems to be that people can’t accept that some see those flaws as making it a bad game. Assuming you have to look past the flaws as the default reaction instead of being deal breaking

I think part of the problem is that it's possible to acknowledge flaws that don't actually bother you.

Like, if the game's flaws bothered me, I'd have a much worse opinion of it. I'm not looking past those flaws; they're just flaws that don't bother me.

Robert Anton Wilson suggested writing in what he termed "English Prime", which was English without any forms of the word "is". Instead of saying "Cyberpunk is a bad game", one might say "Cyberpunk does not seem to me to be a good game" or "I do not enjoy Cyberpunk".

This obsession with saying what things are seems to me to be a flawed and boring kind of game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Simone Magus posted:

I think part of the problem is that it's possible to acknowledge flaws that don't actually bother you.

Like, if the game's flaws bothered me, I'd have a much worse opinion of it. I'm not looking past those flaws; they're just flaws that don't bother me.

Robert Anton Wilson suggested writing in what he termed "English Prime", which was English without any forms of the word "is". Instead of saying "Cyberpunk is a bad game", one might say "Cyberpunk does not seem to me to be a good game" or "I do not enjoy Cyberpunk".

This obsession with saying what things are seems to me to be a flawed and boring kind of game.
Yeah, I agree with this. I know that some people aren’t used to making a distinction between expressing things as preferences and values, or as positions that they intend to back up with facts, but other people are, so they clash.

Edit: sort of? I’m not completely sure I understand the last part.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jan 19, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

There’s no way to argue about chess’s quality as a game? I’m not a chess expert but I highly doubt that. I’ve read analyses of all kinds of board games and you can absolutely argue points about them, and I doubt chess is an exception.

Edit: Googling, I wonder if chess is a sacred cow and no one has seriously analyzed its weaknesses as a game? I’ve read analyses of Go that were like that.
I suppose I could have phrased that better. Alright, it can be argued about, but I think you get my point there: when you argue about chess as a game, you're basically arguing about an abstract, not about how playable it is on any given chessboard. Video games tend to blur the line of that because unlike more traditional games, they're basically only ever made once - there's not really any such thing as a badly-made individual copy of a game, because they're all the same anyway. Even if it's what you'd consider a good game on paper, it can still be a bad product as a piece of software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Samurai Sanders posted:

Chess' primary weakness as a game stems from the fact that it is inferrior to Stratego on every level yet still manages to command far more respect :blastu: