Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Powerful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Gripweed posted:

This is Paladinus's room

The UK really does have a uniquly awful political consensus among the european nation states

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bodies is pretty dehumanizing, I don't get why it took off.

iirc there were two "plasticized human bodies as a museum exhibit" setups going around and one involved bodies of normal people who donated their carcasses/organs with full understanding that they'd get preserved and shown off as museum exhibits, whereas the other was extremely suspect of using the bodies of chinese political prisoners. The one using prisoners went around first but I think it was the second that really took off because it had more access.

but by all means let's have a long-rear end derail about whether the harms in imprisonment of dissidents outweigh the benefits to China.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/LabSpecEth/status/1351262531893952514

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Yeah the environmental impact of cremation services is kinda major, hence why I’ve reconsidered it whereas I’d really want my body destroyed on death

perhaps I can be sunk to the bottom of the Atlantic like the Decepticons, maybe feed some deep sea critters

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

A Russian troll farm posted:

god i hate the word bodies

it seems really demeaning and dehumanizing, idk why people would want to use terms like that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

indigi posted:

it seems really demeaning and dehumanizing, idk why people would want to use terms like that

to play at sounding academic and thus derive authority over your posting enemies

someone did a writeup about it in cspam someplace

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1350974973544947713

FAUXTON posted:

iirc there were two "plasticized human bodies as a museum exhibit" setups going around and one involved bodies of normal people who donated their carcasses/organs with full understanding that they'd get preserved and shown off as museum exhibits, whereas the other was extremely suspect of using the bodies of chinese political prisoners. The one using prisoners went around first but I think it was the second that really took off because it had more access.

but by all means let's have a long-rear end derail about whether the harms in imprisonment of dissidents outweigh the benefits to China.

and virgins ITT get hopping mad about my low-effort derails

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

the other was extremely suspect of using the bodies of chinese political prisoners

suspected by who? the oldest source I can find on this is an NPR article that says

quote:

He says that he obtains them all only through trusted sources, but no outsider has verified that they might not be, in a worst-case scenario, dissidents killed in a Chinese prison, then sold through a body broker to a medical school, and then displayed to the public.

which seems to be entirely sinophobic supposition

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Who wrote The Iron Heel?

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

A Russian troll farm posted:

god i hate the word bodies

second time i'm having to bring up Frantz Fanon on this forum, you guys should really read up on your black liberation marxists, the 'bodies' category is important and also adds rhetorical shock value, here in brazil people even use "black meat". Here's a starter article;

quote:

The Traumatized Object

Objectification is achieved literally. Beginning with the most personal, Fanon points out “In the white world the man of color encounters difficulties in the development of his bodily schema. Consciousness of the body is solely a negating activity. It is a third-person consciousness.”[i] The external stimulus of a child who says “Look, a Negro!” has compelled a physical reaction for the objectified person. One becomes disoriented, and one has to evaluate one’s own “bodily schema.” Most importantly, one sees their own body as an object, free floating in space, a separation between self and world. This hyper-awareness of one’s body produces traumatic effects. It produces a self-objectification, where one feels oneself as an object, and the more this is repeated the more objectification seems an acceptable thing. This is the daily ontological crisis experienced by bodies lacking ‘presence.’ In Fanon’s situation, the experienced lack is of whiteness. As a parallel, for the woman, the experienced lack is of the penis. The significance of this lack is completely imagined. But for the traumatized object, it is felt as a reality. “Look, a Negro!” is akin to saying ‘Look, a monster!’ or better yet ‘Look, a funny picture!’ In being forced to confirm his own bodily presence, Fanon is forced to ask himself, ‘Am I really here?’ Yes, one sees oneself as present, yet one concurrently feels empty of the qualifications to experience being through others. One is stripped of everything but a bodily schema.

Furthermore, when one seeks a psychoanalyst for treatment, the method is to trace the symptom back to the trauma. But Fanon shows us the reverse. He shows us trauma that produces a symptom that reproduces more trauma. Objectification is thoroughly achieved, inside and out. Fanon continues: “…assailed at various points, the corporeal schema crumbled, its place taken by a racial epidermal schema. In the train it was no longer a question of being aware of my body in the third person but in a triple person.”[ii] His play on words is important here. There is a difference in experiencing oneself in the third person and experiencing triple consciousness. The traumatized object is not only objectified literally but is broken into different modes of being. Consciousness is split. One must exist in a sense for oneself, yet differently in another sense, as seen by an opposing world. And, thirdly, one must exist to fulfill the other’s idealization of them. One can imagine the dissociative effects of this daily double-trauma. How can one know oneself if one has to constantly relive a shattered existence? To see oneself as a broken object in the distance, to begin to accept this position of nothingness, is the tremendous accomplishment of a psychotic society whose obsessive compulsion is domination.

the terminology is used because in context it's part of a larger denouncement of society, if you think it calling it out using the 'bodies' term contributes more to dehumanization than :decorum: feel free to contact these people and change their minds

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I always thought the idea behind calling people bodies was the implication that while their bodies could be enslaved or destroyed, their spirits remained free and carried on. But that's purely my speculation. Sounds weird either way.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://twitter.com/RollingStone/status/1350974973544947713

and virgins ITT get hopping mad about my low-effort derails

https://twitter.com/caranatar/status/1350989874317430791?s=19

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Paladinus posted:

I always thought the idea behind calling people bodies was the implication that while their bodies could be enslaved or destroyed, their spirits remained free and carried on. But that's purely my speculation. Sounds weird either way.

It is explicitly calling out that fact. It does sound weird on the mouths of white liberals cargo culting discourse, but afaik it's a term usage coined by black liberation theorists.

anyway this is the pics thread, have some cool fanon fanart

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

bagual posted:

adds rhetorical shock value

I guess I can see the strategy here, but this isn’t what it does to me. it obfuscates the truth behind a layer of euphemistic language. it’s like referring to people as resources or capital. I sincerely doubt the intended audience is going to be shocked instead of confused by using the word “bodies” to mean “people”

indigi has issued a correction as of 23:01 on Jan 18, 2021

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

They say she carved it herself... from a bigger spoon.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/DeanBrowningPA/status/1351267937055887360

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I also think the term bodies doesn't achieve its rhetorical aims because it's ultimately an ironic usage but most people I hear use it sincerely which is what makes it weird

black meat would be much more clearly ironic and impossible to use sincerely

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

ayo imma committin genocide ova hea

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

bagual posted:

It is explicitly calling out that fact. It does sound weird on the mouths of white liberals cargo culting discourse, but afaik it's a term usage coined by black liberation theorists.

Well, I get that there's obviously context, or people wouldn't be using it at all, but the language is also changing. I've just googled to learn more about this, and the second link is a black person who is also baffled by the word bodies being used to refer to black and brown people.
https://medium.com/age-of-awareness/can-we-stop-referring-to-black-people-as-black-bodies-a1f636d27658
So it might just be a tad obscure or muddled with white lib woke speak to serve its intended purpose, I don't know. Like, if it's meant to be shocking, it's too wide-spread now for that, and most people, I imagine, are not particularly disturbed by its usage, but rather confused by it.

The third link in google, by the way, is about a term in physics that refers to a body that absorbs all incident electromagnetic radiation.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i was gonna dig up his old tweet but the comments have us covered lol

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

indigi posted:

I guess I can see the strategy here, but this isn’t what it does to me. it obfuscates the truth behind a layer of euphemistic language. it’s like referring to people as m resources or capital. I sincerely doubt the intended audience is going to be shocked instead of confused by using the word “bodies” to mean “people”

that's why in brazil we talk about the state throwing black bones into the grinder, black meat is the cheapest on the market (re: salaries), police just stack up dead black people like thrash, etc. it's a way to denounce society by calling it's relation to black people like it is, dehumanizing and cruel.

black liberation theorists in the 60's were not using it euphemistically, they were drawing attention to the fact that the white supremacist state still sees black people as soulless bodies in a continuity of racism that goes back to colonial enslavement of black africans where priests literally convinced people they had no souls. if it sounds weird to you it's ok, maybe it's a term that stuck around and doesn't carry as much weight as when it was first introduced, i'm just telling you it's grounded in black liberation theory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeNSeVoHJ44

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Antonymous posted:

black meat would be much more clearly ironic and impossible to use sincerely

yah

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Chuck Tingle, the early years

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

indigi posted:

suspected by who? the oldest source I can find on this is an NPR article that says

which seems to be entirely sinophobic supposition

Idk if you read my post or the article you linked but like I said, there's another traveling exhibit, which is the one with the sketchy provenance, and the article even points it out:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

bagual posted:

that's why in brazil we talk about the state throwing black bones into the grinder, black meat is the cheapest on the market (re: salaries), police just stack up dead black people like thrash, etc. it's a way to denounce society by calling it's relation to black people like it is, dehumanizing and cruel.

black liberation theorists in the 60's were not using it euphemistically, they were drawing attention to the fact that the white supremacist state still sees black people as soulless bodies in a continuity of racism that goes back to colonial enslavement of black africans where priests literally convinced people they had no souls. if it sounds weird to you it's ok, maybe it's a term that stuck around and doesn't carry as much weight as when it was first introduced, i'm just telling you it's grounded in black liberation theory.

See, all those phrases work (at least to my ear), because they paint some pretty vivid and provocative images. 'Oppressing black bodies' sound extremely sterile to me and misses the mark. Although one could reflect on that sterility, too, I suppose.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Paladinus posted:

See, all those phrases work (at least to my ear), because they paint some pretty vivid and provocative images. 'Oppressing black bodies' sound extremely sterile to me and misses the mark. Although one could reflect on that sterility, too, I suppose.

well this is freestyle sociology but one could suppose black intellectuals were trying to own academia in the 60's without breaking academic decorum because otherwise they'd just go unheard, and the term stuck around but eventually got normalized to the point it doesn't elicit provocation anymore

don't fret if black activists who did their homework drop it now and then, but those art exhibits really are kinda hosed and disrespectful imo, reminds me of european human zoos

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

Idk if you read my post or the article you linked but like I said, there's another traveling exhibit, which is the one with the sketchy provenance, and the article even points it out:

that's also admitting to a complete lack of evidence. do you have any sources?

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/ICEgov/status/1351180549449265153

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

The Cameo posted:

second and third paragraphs of the actual story:

it’s AP using as poo poo a headline as they could get away with to entice people to click on it

Yeah, looks boilerplate to me.

Monitoring for insider threats is day-to-day stuff.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

seems like that’s just inviting chaos at the inauguration

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL7-CKirWZE

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I have seen bodies thrown around in a non-racial sense in HR terms. Especially in regards to manual labour. e.g a new building is running behind schedule, throw more bodies at the problem(Hire more labourers). It seems to be another example of capitalism dehumanising the worker and just seeing the person as a resource on a balance sheet.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Varkk posted:

I have seen bodies thrown around in a non-racial sense in HR terms. Especially in regards to manual labour. e.g a new building is running behind schedule, throw more bodies at the problem(Hire more labourers). It seems to be another example of capitalism dehumanising the worker and just seeing the person as a resource on a balance sheet.

Human Resources wouldn't callously dehumanize workers.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

goddamn i am actually angry at a tweet. this must be what liberals feel like all the time.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

goddamn i am actually angry at a tweet. this must be what liberals feel like all the time.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
my neighbor set up a couple of those by his sidewalk, of the planter variety

anyway the plants died and it's just dirt now

:toot:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

indigi posted:

I guess I can see the strategy here, but this isn’t what it does to me. it obfuscates the truth behind a layer of euphemistic language. it’s like referring to people as resources or capital. I sincerely doubt the intended audience is going to be shocked instead of confused by using the word “bodies” to mean “people”

it’s about re-contextualizing the products of exploitation by reminding people of their physical, material cost. It’s about shortening the metaphoric distance between the victims of oppression and the Western consumers of said oppression’s fruits.

For example- take a bar of chocolate on a supermarket counter. To the shopper, who knows nothing of its provenance, that bar is just a sweet. It’s a pretty rectangle in bright, happy paper that costs two bucks, and maybe it’ll brighten up a dreary afternoon in a small way. The amount of consideration that a person gives a bar of chocolate, or a banana, or a pair of sneakers is infinitesimally small compared to the amount of brutality required to birth it into existence.

So it’s one thing to tell that person “ya know, that chocolate was harvested using slave labor” in an oblique sort of way, and something else entirely to be like “an eight year old child picked cacao beans for thirteen straight hours to make that bar of chocolate, when he couldn’t pick any more from exhaustion he was beaten until the blood ran down his back and legs. Then later that night at the barracks he was sexually abused by one of the company foremen. He will never escape this life and at 24 he’ll be dead.”

To give a different example, it would be like telling a northerner in 1963 that police were brutalizing black civil rights marchers, vs showing them the images of kids being firehosed and mauled by dogs.

at least that’s how the thought behind it was also explained to me.