Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bodies is pretty dehumanizing, I don't get why it took off.

:thejoke:

it’s also central language in Ta-Nehisi Coates’ Between the World and Me which was v. good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It makes sense when you explain it, white people have seen black people as not human, just bodies without souls, and so on. But white people, afaik, don't articulate that by calling black people bodies. So just saying bodies doesn't make the listener think of dehumanization unless you've already told them that's what you're going for. And even then it won't produce the desired visceral response because unless the listener is immersed in that language they will have a slight delay as their brain switches from the standard use of bodies (a euphemism for corpses) to the more complex sociological meaning.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/baphometadata/status/1351237941910241289?s=19

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Gripweed posted:

It makes sense when you explain it, white people have seen black people as not human, just bodies without souls, and so on. But white people, afaik, don't articulate that by calling black people bodies. So just saying bodies doesn't make the listener think of dehumanization unless you've already told them that's what you're going for. And even then it won't produce the desired visceral response because unless the listener is immersed in that language they will have a slight delay as their brain switches from the standard use of bodies (a euphemism for corpses) to the more complex sociological meaning.

I think reducing it to corpses also misses part of the point- it’s about reminding people that the physical cost of toil, the physical wear of labor, the physical effects of violence and neglect are borne by people with physical human bodies.

It’s a means of trying to prompt empathy—and, yes, possibly do a bit of Brechtian alienation—to get people who might otherwise have a rote well-intentioned message go in through one ear and out the other to stop and think for a second. People can empathize with physical pain, they can think of their own aches and pains borne over a lifetime. They can think of how they have felt when injured, overworked, sick, and extrapolate it to experiences of exploitation and violence that may otherwise become too obfuscated by polite language and/or abstractified.

It’s also worth mentioning that it’s a means of getting people to think a certain way without laying it out at a time/in a medium where graphic language and frank descriptions of brutality may not have always been acceptable. By throwing “bodies” into otherwise academic language, you get people thinking “what’s a bad thing/what’s the worst thing you could do to somebody’s body?” That allows you to then convey a more honest account of, say—racial violence, than you might otherwise get away with in a 1965 NYT opinion column.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Right they are doing background checks but it's not to weed out democrats or Republicans or whatever

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

What kind of person takes a look at everything from anime to zoology and settles on spoon carving as their thing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

cenotaph posted:

They say she carved it herself... from a bigger spoon.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i was gonna dig up his old tweet but the comments have us covered lol

Didn't they, as weird as this sounds, figure out that tweet was legit from a gay black fan of his and he somehow dumped in his Twitter vice retweeting it or whatever?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/jaynooch/status/1351240617226080260?s=20

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ominous

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Slippery posted:

Didn't they, as weird as this sounds, figure out that tweet was legit from a gay black fan of his and he somehow dumped in his Twitter vice retweeting it or whatever?
no?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Slippery posted:

no

dude was trying to run a sockpuppet campaign of some sort

quote:

There were suspicions that Browning’s tweet sounded similar to the thoughts of another Twitter account, whose owner identified himself as a gay Black man and Trump fan.

The owner of that account, under the name Dan Purdy, posted a video, insisting that he was a real person and that Browning’s tweet was a message Purdy had sent to Browning.

“Dean accidentally posted somehow and that’s the end of the story," Purdy said in the video.

Twitter then suspended the The Purdy account, which is owned by William Holte, a nephew to famed Philly singer Patti LaBelle. Holte, in a series of text messages with Clout, claimed the suspension was due to his support for Trump. He acknowledged this is the second Twitter account he has had suspended.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Nevemind. Beaten with a more thorough explanation.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lmao for almost falling for that one

Also wrt pardons, last year on this very forum the resounding take was that a pardon means you had a conviction. I guess goons read up on it and became legal scholars in that time?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

the David Lynch Presidency does not end with Trump!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

This is the second time today I've seen this Biden-Gaga photo and the first time it was captioned something like "You just have to come to terms with the fact your father and I are together."

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i loving loathe gaga

i see right through that forced 'i am l'arteeeeeeest, so aloof' persona

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Lib and let die posted:

i loving loathe gaga

okay

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I like her music but she was collaborating with R. Kelly in loving 2013 and is definitely an awful piece of poo poo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lib and let die posted:

i loving loathe gaga

I like some of her songs. Don't really care about what she's doing outside of singing.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
She was pretty dope in American horror story

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

smug jeebus posted:

I like her music but she was collaborating with R. Kelly in loving 2013 and is definitely an awful piece of poo poo

She did acknowledge she hosed up by doing that and had the song permanently removed from streaming services and all future physical releases, at least.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/paddingtonrocks/status/1351342047857422336?s=20

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lib and let die posted:

i loving loathe gaga

hoo boy wait until you hear about Every Single Other Musician

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I like some of her songs. Don't really care about what she's doing outside of singing.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

no

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Gaga slaps

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

What?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lady Gaga supporting an austerity-loving racist warmonger is more than enough of an indictment. She's willing to throw R Kelly under the bus but backs another kiddy-diddling rapist anyway? gently caress off.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The only celebrity I ever had to give up on due to political disagreements was Andrew Lloyd Hitler.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I liked that Rain On Me song she did with Ariana Grande, and because I was Literally A Child when her 'big songs' were out (you know, Just Dance, Poker Face, Alejandro, Bad Romance, Telephone, etc.) I have nostalgia for that because I remember when I was happy and it was when I was ignorant of politics

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

they didn’t miss him the first time around

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lady Gaga supporting an austerity-loving racist warmonger is more than enough of an indictment. She's willing to throw R Kelly under the bus but backs another kiddy-diddling rapist anyway? gently caress off.

Taint Runner, you forgot to switch accounts.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

this is great

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

don’t do Gaga dirty like this

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Taint Runner, you forgot to switch accounts.

I’m glad that others are finally seeing the light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Breakfast All Day posted:

thats a 23rd century uniform IDIOT

gently caress gently caress fuckin REPORTED