Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Coming up to a century of prohibition and the hottest new idea is "what if we endangered children even more?"

e: 113 years ago Canada passed the Opium Act 1908, in response to violent anti-Chinese demonstrations. This created a black market that inevitably led to the followup 1911 act introducing imprisonment.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jan 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I can only assume the mindset is some 90's nonsense where drug dealers are just in it for the evil so obviously you can't use an adult because the child is a far more appealing target to sell drugs to, because children have lots of money for drugs.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://mobile.twitter.com/wrigh2uk/status/1351453903750111232

not watching nick Ferrari to find out if this is accurate, I'm just going to assume it is

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Thank you to all of you who voted for me in the Solidarity fund elections. I look forward to serving you all well.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

XMNN posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/wrigh2uk/status/1351453903750111232

not watching nick Ferrari to find out if this is accurate, I'm just going to assume it is
When I think of the problems of the drug war, the first thing that always comes to mind is that it has killed insufficient children.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its putting them to work, otherwise who knows what the little mites will get up to

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Communist Thoughts posted:

its putting them to work, otherwise who knows what the little mites will get up to
They might even end up involved in the drug trade

Voluntarily, I mean

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Information is a utility of immense socioeconomic value, and wholly unregulated free speech behaves exactly like any other wholly unregulated free market. That in and of itself should offer some clues about how leftists might want to approach it.

Yes, unregulated free speech is just a special case of badly-regulated speech, and who’s in favor of that?

Of course there are other forms of badly-regulated free speech, which suppress the truth instead of drowning it in a sea of lies. Those are bad too.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Our children used to have only 2 employment avenues - pickpocket gangs or chimneysweep. This is innovation

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Our children used to have only 2 employment avenues - pickpocket gangs or chimneysweep. This is innovation

Clear newsboy erasure, and I will not stand for it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Red Oktober posted:

Extra Extra! Newsboys "cancelled" by radical left! Read all about it!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Red Oktober posted:

And I actually only watched Newsies for the first time at the weekend!

For anyone who cares - Newsies is strongly recommended. Catchy songs about unionisation and the power of collective action, penned by Alan Menken, performed by Christian Bale, and then released by Disney. Seems impossible somehow, and I'm not surprised it never saw the light of day over here

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Mark Drakeford hosed it to be precise, his handling of the lockdown has been very unpopular.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
In a nervous kids voice "Hello, are you Mad Dog Mackers? I want to buy a few kilos of coke please."

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Is... this quote accurate?

E: I thought it was Starmer.

And the fact that I thought it was is telling in itself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

Yes, unregulated free speech is just a special case of badly-regulated speech, and who’s in favor of that?

Of course there are other forms of badly-regulated free speech, which suppress the truth instead of drowning it in a sea of lies. Those are bad too.
Of course, the current public argument about freedom of speech is nothing to do with actual freedom of speech, less still the truth, and is more a power struggle between various factions.

That's the only way to explain why thousands of hours of empirically truthful and mostly benign chemistry videos being pulled from youtube warranted barely any attention at all, but academic criticism of JK Rowling's brave and courageous wet turd is 'cancel culture', or why the Daily Mail getting Jörg Sprave's channel pulled and his home raided just to sell papers warranted barely any pushback, whereas Big Tech banning terrorists for talking about all the terrorism that they did is some grotesque overreach against freedom.

Mistaking any of that for freedom of speech is just falling into a lobster trap of their making.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Not So Fast posted:

Mark Drakeford hosed it to be precise, his handling of the lockdown has been very unpopular.
https://twitter.com/BBCr4today/status/1351081395293138945

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/GabrielScally/status/1351220798837678083?s=19

Has anyone said - Go Back 2 GBS (Great British Summer)?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Damp, drizzly, and mostly stuck inside?

Seems about right.

Guavanaut posted:

the Daily Mail getting Jörg Sprave's channel pulled and his home raided just to sell papers warranted barely any pushback

Wait what slingshot channel guy?

Or to put it another way, youtubers' union guy?

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 19, 2021

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I can only assume the mindset is some 90's nonsense where drug dealers are just in it for the evil so obviously you can't use an adult because the child is a far more appealing target to sell drugs to, because children have lots of money for drugs.

We already figured out the solution for that years ago, just send this guy in

I think he had a friend with a red outfit too?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Not So Fast posted:

From what I see on facebook (I live in Wales) people who post complaining he has done really badly seem to be mostly anti-maskers, anti-lockdown, covid is a myth types.

(Not that I'm saying he has handled it perfectly and the Welsh health boards seem to have cocked up - I posted a few days ago about people not being able to get through to cancel appointments made for places they can't get to and sometimes multiple appointment invites when they already had the vaccination - today I saw a message from the Aneurin Bevan health board saying they had cocked up the phone number and email to cancel. Given that in my block of 18 flats, only 3 of us have email as most of the others are in their 80s and don't have internet or emails - though some of them do and don't realize it! eg Sky and husbands ordering things off amazon who obviously haven't conveyed this info to their wives!).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 19, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Holy gently caress Narc, i hadn't thought about that game in years. The Pixies did the theme for that one!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Matt Hancock is now self isolating due to a notification from the app. I wonder if it was from hanging out at the park on the weekend.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Updated version has a level set entirely within Michael Gove's sinuses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Convex posted:

Been on the colloidal silver has he?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Perfect Element posted:

Matt Hancock is now self isolating due to a notification from the app. I wonder if it was from hanging out at the park on the weekend.

I'm mildly surprised he still has the app installed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's not the NHS app, it's the Matt Hancock Official Meet Your MP app that's recommending that he isolates.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

It's not the NHS app, it's the Matt Hancock Official Meet Your MP app that's recommending that he isolates.

I was going to post that :argh:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Hancockr

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

More than likely Keith will abstain on the vote over whether they have to do their homework and go to bed early.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Convex posted:

That copy slaps.

Although I'm sad that I misread 'canine yappies' as 'canine yuppies' and that turned out not to be the case.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Mistaking any of that for freedom of speech is just falling into a lobster trap of their making.

The current situation is indeed terrible; a sea of lies where the only land is occupied by company towns and cult compounds.

Presumably something better is possible; the details would require a bit of work. Picking a side in a war between the modern equivalents of the East India Conpany and the Thugees is probably not a useful part of that work.

radmonger fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 19, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Does the UK even have freedom of speech? Doesn't it come with like a million asterixes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol cool

https://twitter.com/AsaWinstanley/status/1351480634523398144?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Lol

quote:

His LinkedIn profile states that he was deputy head of the Israeli Labor Party’s campaign for the April 2019 general election to the country’s parliament, the Knesset.

That election saw the once dominant Israeli Labor Party collapse to just six seats.

The perfect guy for controlled opposition labour

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

I'd be wary of drawing conclusions from that. 8200 is, I think, the largest unit in the IDF and has about a billion different roles people can do. Like most army units, a lot of them are really lame bookkeeping stuff. This guy probably isn't a super spy, and 5 years in the IDF is the standard draft + 1 officer term which is.. Really standard in Israel. Could have just written 'hired an Israeli'.

The perfect guy for controlled opposition labour

This is really funny though, because the Israeli Labour party is so so poo poo it's amazing, and they've somehow gotten worse over the last couple of elections (which happened over the last 2 years)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Holy gently caress Narc, i hadn't thought about that game in years. The Pixies did the theme for that one!

They didn't, it was Brian Schmidt. Frank Black just liked it so much that the Pixies recorded their own version.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
one of them childer snooping around drug barons could become skilled and be a mi6 james bond top spy, if they don't get murdered

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
We're locking down for ages

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1351313981894483970?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
these people are psychopaths

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1351315081502580737