Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I use Ikea BILLY bookcases and they work great. they have adjustable shelves so I can fit pretty much anything as long as one dimension is 10-13 inches.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/billy-bookcase-black-brown-40263848/

I think you can fit more games in BILLYs vs KALLAX

Billys are really shallow though. I have a few in my house as well.

Looking them up:
Billy - 11" deep
Kallax - 15 3/8" deep
Ivar (the deeper version) - 19 5/8" deep
(Shallow Ivar is 12" apparently)

Roads and Boats fits flush with the front of my shelves. You'd be balancing it on the top of a Billy probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Billys also bow with enough games on a shelf. The Kallax spacing and assembly helps keep them very sturdy for particle board.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The person who programed the Calico Solo game online also implemented many other mostly unofficial board game automata to turn multiplayer games into solo games.

https://myautoma.github.io/

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Unfortunately my closest IKEA is like 2 hours :(

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah, a buddy of mine lives in Central PA, and he's looking at $350 to get an Ikea bookshelf and have it delivered. And it's not even for boardgames it's for action figures! That's kind of a non-starter. I never thought of Target for furniture, I'll pass that on.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Bottom Liner posted:

It adds new cards (all good), harbor tiles (good), 5p components (good), end game rules (very good), and the season module (Ok at lower player counts). The most important module being the endgame trigger and you can backport it. Harbors are my second favorite module because they make for some interesting maps and movement possibilities.

What does it do for end game rules? I really liked the original Inis end game rules and don't see how you can improve it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It doesn't change the win conditions it just stops ties from dragging the game indefinitely

Basically after a round ends with two or more players hitting a victory condition the next round will be the last one definitively.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

fischtick posted:

Yeah, a buddy of mine lives in Central PA, and he's looking at $350 to get an Ikea bookshelf and have it delivered. And it's not even for boardgames it's for action figures! That's kind of a non-starter. I never thought of Target for furniture, I'll pass that on.

Lowes and Home Depot should also have Kallax-like clones, with maybe slightly different dimensions and thinner inner walls. Never tried them for board games, but my brother got a few for holding random bins of poo poo and is happy with them. They're in the home organization zone, usually near the wall opposite lumber? I dunno what the section is called and it's hard to describe otherwise. Same place you find ventilated shelving (the white vinyl covered metal grill grate shelves) so it should hopefully stand out.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

dwarf74 posted:

I ordered billys online. It might take a month though.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Kallaxes are great. I'm having trouble with smaller games though. I've got a bunch and they're awkwardly taking up a whole cube. Ikea makes a divider that splits it into four mini cubes, but the closest one is 45 minutes away and I can't drive two hours round trip to get one. If they were even in stock in that store, which they aren't right now.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

LifeLynx posted:

Kallaxes are great. I'm having trouble with smaller games though. I've got a bunch and they're awkwardly taking up a whole cube. Ikea makes a divider that splits it into four mini cubes, but the closest one is 45 minutes away and I can't drive two hours round trip to get one. If they were even in stock in that store, which they aren't right now.

My closest Ikea is an hour away, and we still go there a few times a year. Not for a single thing obviously, but there's a lot of good house-y stuff there. Plus, a tasty and cheap lunch.

Haven't gone since the pandemic though.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Yeah ours is relatively close but that place is way too crowded for me at this time. Particularly since there’s no ICU space here.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Mine's also close but I cannot fathom going except when you've just moved into a new place and need a table for a corner. How many swing-top jars do you go through?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

I've got a couple of their fabric kallax cubes for my smaller games. Id be amazed if you couldn't find one that fits in another store. They seem pretty generic.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LifeLynx posted:

I was having the same problem and I ended up just buying a standard bookshelf to sit next to my 5x5 Kallax to hold Codenames-sized boxes, tiny epics, roll-and-write’s, etc. It’s worked out incredibly well.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

tofes posted:

That reminds me, did that new version of Kemet come out and was it any good?

It hasn't released yet. Other than uproar about some component changes, I think it will be a more solid product than previous Kemet plus expansion. It bakes in some of the cooler aspects of Ta Seti without the board no one used. Even the Cthulhu expansion (that got rethemed) looked pretty swell and rules light.

Plus player aids for each player. That's beautiful alone.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

LifeLynx posted:

They also make (made? can't find it now) a sheet metal mail holder with removable shelves that fits into a Kallax hole.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So BGG is looking for someone of color to moderate a People of Color forum. Thoughts? I think that'd be a 24 hour job?! I told them I can't tolerate the stupid so it's not a job for me. Be pretty funny if they got Tanscini to moderate it. Let's put that apology to the test!!!!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah hell no. reminds me of the people that had to moderate Facebook reports all getting severe depression and having ptsd from it.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, moderation are a hellish occupation especially if it's for the love of the and/or without being paid.

Just yesterday funagaingames showed it's rear end defending the ,quote unquote, brilliant Phil Eklund by insulting Heavy cardboard affiliated people.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Quixotic1 posted:

Yeah, moderation are a hellish occupation especially if it's for the love of the and/or without being paid.

Just yesterday funagaingames showed it's rear end defending the ,quote unquote, brilliant Phil Eklund by insulting Heavy cardboard affiliated people.

I've met the owner of Funagain several times. He's a ding dong. Maybe he'll shut up now.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

FulsomFrank posted:

And finally, got a 5p game of 18MEX in over the weekend. I had my best game ever and didn't own a company until the last part of the game. I think being an investor and keeping an eye on the market to ensure you don't get stuck with a dog company is the way to win these games but maybe that's just how our groups have been playing it. Either way, 18MEX is great. Love it. 18xx.games is a wonderful website.

This depends on the game but being an investor means you have to guard priority deal through the train rush as it’s usually easy to dump on you. Also depends on the group meta, if people tolerate running good companies with a bad share distribution then investor is stronger. Usually you need to own companies though cause games are won on share appreciaton and president double shares are powerful

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Anyone who has experience with Spirit Island, see if you can help my friends and I with a goofy interaction:

Russia's level 2 ability is A Sense for Impending Disaster: "The first time each Action would Destroy Explorers: If possible, 1 of those Explorers is instead Pushed; 1 Fear when you do so."
Someone is playing Ocean's Hungry Grasp, who has two special rules: Ocean in Play: "..you Drown any Invaders or Dahan moved to [the] Oceans." and Drowning: "Destroys Drowned pieces..."

Let's say someone plays a power that destroys an Explorer on a coast. Per the above, it gets pushed instead and 1 fear generated. The player pushes it into an Ocean, which is a legal space when someone is playing OHG (in most circumstances). What happens to that Explorer? Clarifications in the latest rulebook state that a piece spared destruction from an action cannot later be destroyed by some mechanism of that same action. Is Drowning its own action? Can OHG ever Drown a single explorer? If not, would spitting it out onto a coast generate another Fear?

As I type this out, it gets a little clearer, but it seems incredibly harsh to OHG to never get to eat singular explorers.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

To me the reading is the first time the Explorer gets destroyed he gets pushed, that push could result in his destruction as well. He's not immune to being destroyed, just the first time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Aramoro posted:

To me the reading is the first time the Explorer gets destroyed he gets pushed, that push could result in his destruction as well. He's not immune to being destroyed, just the first time.

That's the rub. There are other scenarios where that isn't true. Take someone playing Volcano: they effectively deal damage in two places with their innate power (where they target, and through destroying their presence) and the FAQ explicitly calls out that they can't destroy an explorer in the target that was pushed there from being destroyed in the first land (it will in fact stay put and not get pushed a second time).

vvvvvvv Then in THAT case, Drowning is an action of OHG and thus is subject to the Level 2 rule in its own right, where it is pushed and generates another fear. Which would actually be a decent consolation tbh

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jan 20, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It's not "some mechanism of that same action" in this case though, if the action of a different player causes the push, and OHG causes the drowning. That would be my read anyway, but I'm not sure if that's what's intended.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SettingSun posted:

That's the rub. There are other scenarios where that isn't true. Take someone playing Volcano: they effectively deal damage in two places with their innate power (where they target, and through destroying their presence) and the FAQ explicitly calls out that they can't destroy an explorer in the target that was pushed there from being destroyed in the first land (it will in fact stay put and not get pushed a second time).

vvvvvvv Then in THAT case, Drowning is an action of OHG and thus is subject to the Level 2 rule in its own right, where it is pushed and generates another fear. Which would actually be a decent consolation tbh

The drowning is a different action and thus triggers Russia's thing. I think in that example the Explorer swims back to shore, and generates extra fear because he's just had a very, VERY bad day.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Fat Samurai posted:

The drowning is a different action and thus triggers Russia's thing. I think in that example the Explorer swims back to shore, and generates extra fear because he's just had a very, VERY bad day.

There's an example in the rulebook of this situation and this is exactly what happens.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fellis posted:

This depends on the game but being an investor means you have to guard priority deal through the train rush as it’s usually easy to dump on you. Also depends on the group meta, if people tolerate running good companies with a bad share distribution then investor is stronger. Usually you need to own companies though cause games are won on share appreciaton and president double shares are powerful

I understand the vulnerability to being dumped on but can you explain the second part about "running good companies with bad share distribution"?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

I understand the vulnerability to being dumped on but can you explain the second part about "running good companies with bad share distribution"?

Say in a 4 player game your holdings in your best company are 4-3-2-1 or 4-2-2-2 or the like, you're only making minimal margin over the other players. There can be other considerations (eg the TSI in 2038 or the nationals in 1837, basically any game where certain companies are guaranteed to have outsized share value at the end of the game, or maybe holdings are distributed such that the minority shareholders are the ones that are weaker positioned) but if you're running the best company in the game and you don't have personal density in it that's typically not a good position.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Straight White Shark posted:

There's an example in the rulebook of this situation and this is exactly what happens.

Goddamn there is. I thought I ran through this whole thing but didn't give a hard enough look to the triggered action examples. Thanks for all the input everyone!

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

FulsomFrank posted:

And finally, got a 5p game of 18MEX in over the weekend. I had my best game ever and didn't own a company until the last part of the game. I think being an investor and keeping an eye on the market to ensure you don't get stuck with a dog company is the way to win these games but maybe that's just how our groups have been playing it. Either way, 18MEX is great. Love it. 18xx.games is a wonderful website.

18MEX is probably the funnest 18xx game to invest in, especially when you have the NdM.

And yeah 18xx.games is killing it right now. The last month or so they've added 1867, 1860, 18CO :swoon: , and even 18Mag which just finished the Kickstarter 2 days ago!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Bellmaker posted:

and even 18Mag which just finished the Kickstarter 2 days ago!

Some may say they added it too late.

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I was inspired by that one post to make mount some of my game boards on the wall... my place doesn't have much room on the walls, so I made a frame I can swap out boards if/when I want.

The boards are held on by 3M command strips, and there's holes in the back to remove them.

Thanks for the idea board games thread!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I guess sleeving the board itself was the inevitable next step.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If they fit in the laminators they would have done it already!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Eh, a sealant and a couple layers of varnish is usually good enough!

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

FulsomFrank posted:

What taser rates said pretty much but for my take: your score is how much money you earn, but if the company is making money for everyone then your gains are the differential between you and the other players. (For 4 players)The ideal is like 6-2-1-1, if you get a good company with that distribution, you probably have a strong position for winning. But consider a less ideal situation 5-3-2-0: if the player with the second-most shares is also in contention for winning, you arent gaining much over them and possibly should be looking for opportunity to dump the company and start/take over/invest in something else.

Its not always the case that you can make that opportunity happen, but if there’s an investor in the game, there should be extra companies around as well. Like dumping a company doesnt always have to be a devastating blow with a forced train buy, sometimes you can just waste some money on tokens/tile lays and then drop the share price and start a new company to continue the train rush.

It is very dependent on game state to make these plays, so being able to determine the game state or where its going is also neccesary. That requires some experience with 18xx for everyone at the table. Like it’s easy to get into status quo with an 18xx game, and once you do so, a winner is likely determined. If that’s you, great! If it’s not, you better do something to disrupt the game, and usually getting liquid cash helps do disruptive things.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

killer crane posted:

I was inspired by that one post to make mount some of my game boards on the wall... my place doesn't have much room on the walls, so I made a frame I can swap out boards if/when I

The boards are held on by 3M command strips, and there's holes in the back to remove them.

Thanks for the idea board games thread!

What version of Pandemic is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jewmanji posted:

What version of Pandemic is that?

the pandemic 10th anniversary edition.