Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

January 4th. Two more days until Tinsley/Fishman forgets Trump or conservatives-in-general exist. They'll either do some boring evergreen complaint criticism of the left or some apolitical "joke" about a moment in the grocery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

toanoradian posted:

I seem to have heard NRA having severe financial difficulties for years now. Will this one knock the organization now?

The NRA has always been a perpetual motion graft machine that'll be kept solvent as long as it's a radicalisation engine.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Samurai Sanders posted:

So even in 2019 she believed that she should’ve won the basketball game because she got more baskets. What a loving idiot.

Kinda, yeah.

The electoral college is bullshit and needs to be abolished, but the fact remains that it is the current win condition and has been for well over a century, so it isn't like it was some One Weird Trick that she couldn't anticipate.

To go with your metaphor, she didn't have more baskets. She had more fans in the crowd, but Trump scored more points than she did.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

the_steve posted:

Kinda, yeah.

The electoral college is bullshit and needs to be abolished, but the fact remains that it is the current win condition and has been for well over a century, so it isn't like it was some One Weird Trick that she couldn't anticipate.

To go with your metaphor, she didn't have more baskets. She had more fans in the crowd, but Trump scored more points than she did.

Hmm no. The baskets metaphor fits way better, because the amount of fans is absolutely distinct from the outcome of the game.

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

Have a Politico article. Just this once. It won't hurt.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

cant cook creole bream posted:

Hmm no. The baskets metaphor fits way better, because the amount of fans is absolutely distinct from the outcome of the game.

That's only reinforcing my point.
The OP's post is literally "She thinks she should have won just because she got more points" whenever she did not, in fact, have more points according to how the game is scored.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

the_steve posted:

That's only reinforcing my point.
The OP's post is literally "She thinks she should have won just because she got more points" whenever she did not, in fact, have more points according to how the game is scored.

Basketball scoring isn't a strict count of the number of times you dunked a ball. The analogy is to a team saying that their ten one-point baskets should have won over the one that got four three-point baskets.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Tenebrais posted:

Basketball scoring isn't a strict count of the number of times you dunked a ball. The analogy is to a team saying that their ten one-point baskets should have won over the one that got four three-point baskets.

Yes. This.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
You guys are all morons. What happened is like if Hillary and Trump had had 50 basketball games where she overall scored more baskets but the games in which Trump scored more baskets had less baskets overall and then from each game a number of basketball players were elected and they played a Basketball College where the players each got to score a basket but the number of basketball players scoring a basket was not perfectly proportional and also uhh the senate was like, uh, a football game and also uh, the primaries, which were golf except the golf ball was a volleyball which represents the DNC and a hockey puck which represents Bernie Sanders which was thrown at a tennis racquet which is Twitter, Twitter is the tennis racquet and then

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Needs a baseball bat labelled 'debt'.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
If no one’s stepping up, could someone familiar with the processPM me what’s needed for the annual awards thread?

Hitler B. Natural
Feb 11, 2014

I'm starting to have weathervane flashbacks

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Tenebrais posted:

Except that's literally not how the game is played and hasn't been since the 1800s.
It's still a 10-12 loss for her in that analogy as per the clearly defined rules of the game.

How it should be is irrelevant to how it actually currently is

the_steve fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 19, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

In general it's just the constant liberal instinct to try to WELL ACTUALLY their way into changing reality.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

the_steve posted:

Except that's literally not how the game is played and hasn't been since the 1800s.
It's still a 10-12 loss for her in that analogy as per the clearly defined rules of the game.

How it should be is irrelevant to how it actually currently is

Yeah I don't think we're in disagreement here.

Trump did win the election by the rules of the election and you can only call it illegitimate by calling the electoral college process illegitimate.
Which might have been Clinton's point, or at least the point she was thinking and trying not to say outright.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If she was claiming that Trump was an illegitimate president even though he was elected by the laws of the US, that would represent a claim that any head of state in the whole world was illegitimate because she felt that they were. I can’t believe someone like that thought that she could be the president.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

In general it's just the constant liberal instinct to try to WELL ACTUALLY their way into changing reality.

It’s amazing to watch leftists go from saying that W’s victory in 2000 was illegitimate because Gore won the popular vote to insisting that Trump’s 3 million vote loss was a perfectly legitimate win because the alternative would be giving Hillary Clinton even an ounce of credit

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

skeleton warrior posted:

It’s amazing to watch leftists go from saying that W’s victory in 2000 was illegitimate because Gore won the popular vote to insisting that Trump’s 3 million vote loss was a perfectly legitimate win because the alternative would be giving Hillary Clinton even an ounce of credit

I don't think the popular vote is why anyone thinks that W's victory was illegitimate.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

skeleton warrior posted:

Give an example of this.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

skeleton warrior posted:

P sure Bush's win was illegitimate because Gore won Florida, and his brother and his dad's friends on the supreme court stole it

It was also illegitimate in the more general sense that all US presidents are illegitimate because our system of government is designed to disenfranchise the masses and insulate the government from accountability to the people, but that would have included Hillary's win too if she hadn't lost under a system that was supposed to be rigged for people like her lololololol

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Hillary didn't even say she won in that interview she said Trump is still obsessed with her because he knows she won. It's an important distinction to make because Trump himself obviously also thinks the popular vote is all that matters seeing as he contested the results of the election he technically won. Also your basketball metaphor doesn't work because the scoring system wasn't put in place to protect slave owners.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Samurai Sanders posted:

If she was claiming that Trump was an illegitimate president even though he was elected by the laws of the US, that would represent a claim that any head of state in the whole world was illegitimate because she felt that they were. I can’t believe someone like that thought that she could be the president.

Hillary is genuinely completely brainbroken from 2016, like she's doing podcasts literally today saying 'I bet Trump was on the phone with Putin during the capital riot'

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I'm not going to blame anyone, even people I generally disagree with on a lot, for having mental health issues after losing a national election, especially when doing so ushered in an age of cruelty unseen for a long time.

I think it was Walter Mondale who said "after I lost the election I slept like a baby; I woke up every few hours crying."

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

rodbeard posted:

Also your basketball metaphor doesn't work because the scoring system wasn't put in place to protect slave owners.

u sure?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm not going to blame anyone, even people I generally disagree with on a lot, for having mental health issues after losing a national election, especially when doing so ushered in an age of cruelty unseen for a long time.

I think it was Walter Mondale who said "after I lost the election I slept like a baby; I woke up every few hours crying."

You don’t need to feel sorry for Hillary fuckin clinton

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

You don’t need to feel sorry for Hillary fuckin clinton

No, I don't need to. But I do, at least in some areas. Feeling empathy for people's objectively difficult times in life is okay and not the same as saying "this person is all good." Do you not feel bad for Biden losing his first wife, daughter, and then son even if you didn't want him to win the primary?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

The twitter link at the bottom is my favorite part of this.

'Be sure to follow me and all my unedited views on this evil platform that is censoring me!'

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Moon Slayer posted:

He's leaving DC Wednesday morning while he still can take Air Force One and have it called Air Force One. He tried to get some kind of red carpet send-off with a military band but instead will probably just slink away with a crowd of sycophants praising him while he's still in earshot.

This means that instead of the guy with the nuclear football walking out of the room with the new president they have to deactivate one briefcase and set of codes and activate another at noon.

I firmly believe that they deactivated the football some time in the last two weeks, if not earlier. That, or other steps were taken to make sure Trump can't use it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Yeah I think right after the insurrection there was a story about Pelosi calling the chairman of the Joint Chiefs to talk about doing something like that. It's wild to think about the fact that for the last two weeks we're not really sure who has been in charge of the US military.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah I think right after the insurrection there was a story about Pelosi calling the chairman of the Joint Chiefs to talk about doing something like that. It's wild to think about the fact that for the last two weeks we're not really sure who has been in charge of the US military.
Simple inertia.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Moon Slayer posted:

I'm sure they can steal/waste tax money and do war crimes on their own just fine

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

toanoradian posted:

I seem to have heard NRA having severe financial difficulties for years now. Will this one knock the organization now?

No, they're doing it to try to escape the NYS lawsuit while they set up shop in TX.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While I appreciate the sentiment, the constant swipes at The Libs isn't really contributing much to the conversation.

skeleton warrior posted:

Same thing with trying to score a cheap dunk on The Leftists.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. The 2000 election was illegitimate because the Supreme Court kramered in to invalidate enough votes for W to take it.
2016, Hillary got beat by Trump because he was able to thread the needle and game the system.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That comparison is made in such bad faith.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Umm, sorry to disappoint you, but that's pretty much how being in ultimate charge of the CIA works.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

the_steve posted:

While I appreciate the sentiment, the constant swipes at The Libs isn't really contributing much to the conversation.

Same thing with trying to score a cheap dunk on The Leftists.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. The 2000 election was illegitimate because the Supreme Court kramered in to invalidate enough votes for W to take it.
2016, Hillary got beat by Trump because he was able to thread the needle and game the system.

Uh, no, there was a lot of anger about the popular vote being against Bush, a lot more than there is now. Not My President was a common refrain and it was typically backed up by references to the popular vote. No one outside professional political circles had really thought much about the Electoral College since it had been over a century since it had thrown an election.

The Supreme Court also didn't invalidate any votes. It stopped the recount, which had been ruled by the FL supreme court to be warranted.

Anger about Florida coalesced around the FL SoS and her rather blatant voter suppression tactics. Those had a far greater impact on the election than anything else.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 19, 2021

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The Supreme Court also didn't invalidate any votes. It stopped the recount, which had been ruled by the FL supreme court to be warranted.

In other words, stealing it, since

quote:

The project's goal was to determine the reliability and accuracy of the systems used in the voting process, including how different systems correlated with voter mistakes. The total number of undervotes and overvotes in Florida amounted to 3% of all votes cast in the state. The review's findings were reported in the media during the week after November 12, 2001, by the organizations that funded the recount: Associated Press, CNN, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, The Washington Post, The St. Petersburg Times, The Palm Beach Post and Tribune Publishing, which included the Los Angeles Times, South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Orlando Sentinel and Chicago Tribune.[75][76]

Based on the NORC review, the media group concluded that if the disputes over the validity of all the ballots in question had been consistently resolved and any uniform standard applied, the electoral result would have been reversed and Gore would have won by 60 to 171 votes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_United_States_presidential_election_recount_in_Florida#Media_recounts

More people voted for Gore, inescapable fact

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It also kind of does depend on what you mean by illegitimate, since I don't think it's unreasonable to say that a purportedly democratic system that's so fundamentally undemocratic isn't legitimate, and winning through a path against someone who got more votes isn't justifiable, even if it's legal. I'm guessing a lot of people who say that Trump is illegitimate would still say that he did win according to the rules, but the rules themselves are the problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

"Big-City Governor."