Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

As a kid I was so smitten with those flip up knight visors when they introduced them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guzwar
Feb 21, 2006
Everything's coming up Milhouse!

The knight with the glow in the dark ghost was one of the first Knight sets I ever got and I've loved it ever since. Lego should update that to an entire haunted castle (minimum 4000 pieces, please) full of knights on a quest to rid it of ghosts.

As for Miami Vaporwave Paradisa: just do Moonbeam City sets, with brick-built neon backgrounds.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
UCS Glow-in-the-Dark Ghost.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bij posted:

This dude is why Black Knights are best knights.

:hai:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I lost my ghost :(

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
As a kid the the greatest piece was the big wearable jetpack.

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Lizard Combatant posted:

As a kid the the greatest piece was the big wearable jetpack.

As an adult the greatest piece is still the big wearable jetpack.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
dunno what jetpack y'all are talking about but the twin shoulder mounted cannon rig was pretty sweet

Turkson
Mar 30, 2011

Straight White Shark posted:

dunno what jetpack y'all are talking about but the twin shoulder mounted cannon rig was pretty sweet

Same piece

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The shoulder cannons were part of the appeal of said jetpack.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's the joke

Also:

Deceptive Thinker posted:

If M:TRON doesn't win then the majority of lego fans have no soul

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I agree and I never had any. :(

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Guzwar posted:

The knight with the glow in the dark ghost was one of the first Knight sets I ever got and I've loved it ever since. Lego should update that to an entire haunted castle (minimum 4000 pieces, please) full of knights on a quest to rid it of ghosts.

As for Miami Vaporwave Paradisa: just do Moonbeam City sets, with brick-built neon backgrounds.

Castle are my favorite sets by far. The last great set we had was Kingdoms Joust in 2012. Thats 9 years ago. I really hope the blacksmith and the rumored castle this year can scratch that itch.

engessa fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 19, 2021

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Literally the only castle/knight type set i have.
If this set existed nowadays i'd get 50 of them and make a knight army.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Blacksmith is up on the official site.

2164 pieces, £134.99 / $149.99 USD / $199.99 CAD / €149.99 / 250 AUD

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

"Ooooooh, a tan horsie."- Me, a grown-rear end man.

I like it more now than when I first saw it. Dunno why.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Captain Invictus posted:

That's the joke

Also:

touche
my 3 were Ice Planet, M Tron, and Aquazone

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I picked blacktron, m:tron, and bionicle.

if they revive bionicle, I hope they go more for the spirit of the earlier sets, which were more mechanical in design and less organic/rubbery. the Metru Nui figures were really solid, though they could use a bit more variation. If they just do, like, better versions of the OG Toa, that'd be perfect for me. The original designs are simple and fantastic, but the original figures are very rigid compared to the highly articulated stuff later on.

edit: like one of the original promo shots of the six heroes shows them doing stuff they literally can't, like...looking anywhere but straight ahead. They do that with minifigs and stuff, bending them in spots they can't actually bend, it's always been a pet peeve of mine with lego promo images.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jan 19, 2021

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Guzwar posted:

I'm pretty sure I already had a post about how good that set was, possibly even in response to you.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The real original Bionicle is Slizer/Throwbot.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Oh wow, higher piece count / price then I expected.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Oh wow, higher piece count / price then I expected.
Somehow it's getting close to Barracuda Bay in both which I really did not expect.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Oxyclean posted:

The real original Bionicle is Slizer/Throwbot.
ah, the failed prototypes.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Website seems down. Does everyone want the blacksmith?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Ninjago Gardens arrived yesterday. Outside of the city sets I've never been terribly interested in the theme, but the Golden Wu fig is triggering my Pokemon instincts... I gotta catch 'em all.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

engessa posted:

Website seems down. Does everyone want the blacksmith?

You can't order it until Feb 1st, it seems.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
The wait for double points begins! Want that gardens and blacksmith. Once double points begins I hope to grab both.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This guy holds my phone charging cord at my desk at work.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Blacksmith is a definite improvement over the original entry, and the price is doable. I doubt I’ll get it though, but this would be a cool set for anyone who missed out on Medieval Market Village, which outside of an actual castle like Black Knights Castle (so good they re-released it alongside the original BSB in 2001) is probably the best castle-themed set of all time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The actual best lego ghost came with a staff that's a used lollipop stick. :colbert:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I like it, but I don't love it. It's definitely nicer than the original design. Much slicker, much better scale, super visually interesting. The fine detailing is... sort of there. It's exceptionally good for a civilian Castle set, which I think everyone wants more of. I'm definitely happy with the price point, too. Good set, but I'm unsure it'll break into anybody's top 5 IDEAS set lists outside of the dedicated Castle fans.

Also, I saw this today and I'm still picking the pieces of my blown mind up off the floor. It's such a meticulous, technical build by someone who clearly has a comprehensive knowledge of LEGO math and the result is so drat beautiful. This is one of those one-in-a-million MOCs that I actually want a copy of for myself to sit on my shelf.

Also, streaming at noon CST (about 2 hours out) and today's topic is illegal build techniques: what they are and who gives a poo poo

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Carbohydrates posted:

Also, I saw this today and I'm still picking the pieces of my blown mind up off the floor. It's such a meticulous, technical build by someone who clearly has a comprehensive knowledge of LEGO math and the result is so drat beautiful. This is one of those one-in-a-million MOCs that I actually want a copy of for myself to sit on my shelf.

How is the diagonal above the rear wheel possible? Painted?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's definitely an awesome build, it's so over the top chunky it's like it's a piece of bismuth.

And yet it also has me wishing (yet again) lego would give in and make tile versions of all those wedge pieces. They're obviously super popular with building surfaces and yet there's nothing that can be done about the studs.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Prophet of Nixon posted:

How is the diagonal above the rear wheel possible? Painted?

On some pics it kinda looks like black tape as you can slightly see the gap in the middle. Though I'd assume it would be super hard to match the color with tape that well?

The pic I mean:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's something like electrician's tape it's pretty easy to cut to exact shapes.

But my first guess is it's black construction paper held on with rubber cement.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Carbohydrates posted:

illegal build techniques: what they are and who gives a SNOT
:)

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Nth Doctor posted:

Ninjago Gardens arrived yesterday. Outside of the city sets I've never been terribly interested in the theme, but the Golden Wu fig is triggering my Pokemon instincts... I gotta catch 'em all.

I finished off the pagoda garden portion of the set this morning. I really do think it's better than Ninjago City. I don't think it's clear from the promo images, but there are two balconies built at the very end of the set that extend over the pagoda garden that make a huge difference in tying it together once all three of them are connected, and it should be trivial to either build another balcony at the 2nd tier street level on Docks (next to the news stand in my layout, or to remove the balcony from Gardens and convert it into a bridge between the two sets overtop of the garden.

I have mine displayed City - Docks - pagoda garden - Gardens left to right.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 19, 2021

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Mine hasn't even shipped yet. That's kind of odd for a set released by itself. My Jan 1 orders shipped within a couple days and LEGO was totally slammed for those.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Carbohydrates posted:

I like it, but I don't love it. It's definitely nicer than the original design. Much slicker, much better scale, super visually interesting. The fine detailing is... sort of there. It's exceptionally good for a civilian Castle set, which I think everyone wants more of. I'm definitely happy with the price point, too. Good set, but I'm unsure it'll break into anybody's top 5 IDEAS set lists outside of the dedicated Castle fans.

Also, streaming at noon CST (about 2 hours out) and today's topic is illegal build techniques: what they are and who gives a poo poo

A Good stream. I just finished watching the VOD for the bits I missed due to actual work poo poo.

Hey Carbohydrates, I wrote a dumb little C# app to track internet connectivity going up and down over time, if that'll help you with figuring out if your still online or night. Shoot me a PM if'n you're interested.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

Can someone post the link to the website that has a database of the various snot connections and stuff? Or any rescources like that. I know ive seen it here before but havent found the link in my search yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

ptkfvk posted:

Can someone post the link to the website that has a database of the various snot connections and stuff? Or any rescources like that. I know ive seen it here before but havent found the link in my search yet.

Found this neat PDF:
https://joncraton.org/media/files/UnofficialLEGOAdvancedBuildingTechniquesGuide.pdf

This is a good read on part size ratios:
https://swooshable.com/how-to-start-building-lego

And this might be the site you remember:
https://swooshable.com/snot