Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Alacron posted:

My favorite (minor) detail? At some point in the past Chainsaw Man erased all Nazi's from existence

Mine is related to that moment, when the list of things he's erased from existence also includes the four possible conclusions other than death at the end of life.

That's such an evocative statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Squidster posted:

If you like that kind of thing, you might dig Undead Unluck. It's about superpowered rulebreakers; each of the protagonsts is UN-something. Undead is immune to death; the rule means nothing to him. Unluck triggers an improbable, unsurvivable act of random chance when she touches anyone. They're perfect for each other.

It's got a rough few starting chapters, but it quickly goes full-bore bonkers.

I'm making steady progress through pretty much every currently running Jump comic, so I'll probably get to that one sooner or later.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Phy posted:

If Zechs Merquise tells you to attack and dethrone God, you attack and dethrone God.

I understand why you did that, and I and my lord Char Aznable forgive you, but you will still have to be punished.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Savage Avengers #15: Wherein the bad guy learns that immortality is a poo poo power if you don't have some other ones to back it up.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Lol is there a Marvel supervillain called Knull? That's gently caress in Swedish :gizz:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Lol is there a Marvel supervillain called Knull? That's gently caress in Swedish :gizz:

Yeah.

He's the symbiote god or something and his schtick is essentially taking over everything, literally. It's a boring villain concept and I'll be glad when he's gone forever.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
All the things they could'a done with a god of symbiotes, and that's what they go with? Ugh.

Good use of a wood chipper, also.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Keep talking like that and Knull will show up in your favorite comic book.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Keep talking like that and Knull will show up in your favorite comic book.

He's gonna Knull it all up.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Alacron posted:

I'm making steady progress through pretty much every currently running Jump comic, so I'll probably get to that one sooner or later.

Speaking as someone who is in the middle of a sixty year readthrough, that sounds completely miserable.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Random Stranger posted:

Speaking as someone who is in the middle of a sixty year readthrough, that sounds completely miserable.

Not as bad as you might think. I'm only really reading at work during my breaks and I can easily get through 10-15 issues of a given comic a day. They're mostly pretty breezy reads by design and it beats most of the other things I used to do on breaks.

Of course, so far I've only gone deep on stuff I already like or have heard good things about so I'm bound to run into some stinkers sooner or later.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

TwoPair posted:

Savage Avengers #15: Wherein the bad guy learns that immortality is a poo poo power if you don't have some other ones to back it up.

loving Jesus Christ this is grim.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nilbop posted:

Imagine the pitch meeting for that one. "how do you beat an immortal?" "I have an idea." [...] "...you'd better put in a drat good reason for the guy to deserve that."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So is that guy dead or....i mean, how extensive is his immortality

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I mean, if his powers don't also include regeneration (i.e. the Death Becomes her type of immortality), it probably doesn't matter how immortal he is.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

:eng101: Immortality and invincibility are not the same thing! Make sure you double-check the fine print on which one you're getting when you make pacts with otherworldly entities!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nilbop posted:

Well, it's not called "The Cuddly Avengers"

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Savage Avengers kicks so much rear end, every issue is a delight.

Knull is probably going to be here for a while. He had a huge build up and is most likely going to be over exposed like the batman who laughs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/paulsmithdraws/status/1351568518534344709

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:eng101: Immortality and invincibility are not the same thing! Make sure you double-check the fine print on which one you're getting when you make pacts with otherworldly entities!

If your invincibility doesn't come with some basic mobility powers you can end up in some pretty horrifying scenarios as well. Like the time in that What If the Juggernaut got tossed into space and kept going forever.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Isn't that also one of the plot points in an early Dragonball story?

Some villain wishes for immortality and they toss him into another dimension/a wormhole or something since they can't destroy his body?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

condescendingly That was one of the movies.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Isn't that also one of the plot points in an early Dragonball story?

Some villain wishes for immortality and they toss him into another dimension/a wormhole or something since they can't destroy his body?
It's also how the Battle Tendency arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure ends. Nothing on earth can kill Kars, so they get yoten off of earth.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's also how the Battle Tendency arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure ends. Nothing on earth can kill Kars, so they get yoten off of earth.

Yeah, and Dio Brando spent close to a century trapped in a coffin at the bottom of the sea

Actually I think that happens a fair bit to vampires

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Lurdiak posted:

condescendingly That was one of the movies.

It's both! :eng101:

Garlic Jr. was originally a movie villain, but they brought him back for a filler arc in DBZ and beat him the exact same way. It was dreadful.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

If your invincibility doesn't come with some basic mobility powers you can end up in some pretty horrifying scenarios as well. Like the time in that What If the Juggernaut got tossed into space and kept going forever.

Yeah that is honestly why I wouldn't actually want immortality. Even assuming your rear end didn't end up on a blasted ruin of a planet alone for eternity there is going to come a point where you are left floating, forever, in a completely empty void with no way to possibly escape.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
Immortality with the caveat that you can turn it off is better IMO.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah that is honestly why I wouldn't actually want immortality. Even assuming your rear end didn't end up on a blasted ruin of a planet alone for eternity there is going to come a point where you are left floating, forever, in a completely empty void with no way to possibly escape.

After Hours did a whole thing on this even limiting yourself to earth means that eventually you end up at a bottom of a mine shaft for all eternity (or under a pile of rubble) because as time goes on the chances of something awful happening where you are shot up to 100%.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

I think that What If was actually an idea suggested by fellow Goon and What If? lover, Gavok.

Speaking of Immortality, one of my favorite examples of it was in Bleach.

Basically one of the super bad guys, Grantz (An Arrancar) was a mad scientist type who invented a bunch of potions and body modifications. He had a bunch of crazy powers, the maddest of which was that if his body died, he could infect a nearby body and take it over and turn it into a duplicate of his old body. He bragged about how it made him immortal.
He ends up fighting a Shinigami (the super good guys. Sort of) and fights their mad scientist type, Kurotsuchi. He uses his ability to take over Kurotsuchi's sidekick.

However he was unaware that her blood contained a drug that speed up a persons perception. And he had gotten such a dose that seconds felt like years. And while Grantz could feel everything that happened to his body, he couldn't actually move it. So when Kurotsuchi runs him through with his sword, Grantz feels it.

Basically the question of "how do you kill someone who can recreate his body with a thought?" is "break his spirit."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ImpAtom posted:

Hey now, if you're really lucky one day eventually the universe will suddenly collapse and explode into a new big bang and then you're Galactus

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Cabbit posted:

It's both! :eng101:

Garlic Jr. was originally a movie villain, but they brought him back for a filler arc in DBZ and beat him the exact same way. It was dreadful.

Dead Zone? More like Dreadful Zone. Ha, gottem!

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

Basically the question of "how do you kill someone who can recreate his body with a thought?" is "break his spirit."

Bleach was really weird with how Mayuri was basically Josef Mengele in kabuki makeup and also on the heroes side and nobody batted an eye.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

skaianDestiny posted:

Immortality with the caveat that you can turn it off is better IMO.

Hob Gadling flavor of immortality.

made better by the fact that there is a afterlife in the DCU.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Alacron posted:

Bleach was really weird with how Mayuri was basically Josef Mengele in kabuki makeup and also on the heroes side and nobody batted an eye.
Oh they batted lots of eyes, iirc they just figured it was better to keep him where they could keep an eye on him instead of letting him run his own experiments god knows where on god knows who. Not a single drat person likes him and they trust him even less, but he can be useful.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Alacron posted:

True. Then again Bleach had that thing where the character who looks like a 12 year old boy inexplicably became the most popular character in the show, in a sort of creepy way.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The Question IRL posted:

True. Then again Bleach had that thing where the character who looks like a 12 year old boy inexplicably became the most popular character in the show, in a sort of creepy way.

it's OK he's only a boy because he was holding back his true bankai power or something

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The original example of this is Tithonus in Greek mythology who got eternal life... but not eternal youth.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

The original example of this is Tithonus in Greek mythology who got eternal life... but not eternal youth.

Eventually turned into a grasshopper(locust?) if I recall.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

"I'm not old! I'm not old!" I say as I gradually shrink and turn into a locust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Angry Salami posted:

They did this at the end of the JLU episode Kids' Stuff where after Morgan Le Fay's son Mordred makes himself older, it breaks his eternal youth and at the end Morgan's taking care of his ancient rear end. It was a dark ending for an otherwise fun episode.