Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
here's my takes on everyone from that list because I doubt a list of names and links is super helpful. just the ones who I know exist!

Quinn Curio - pretty good media analysis - output is super inconsistent, so I usually forget they exist, but I like the videos! she's kinda funny
https://www.youtube.com/c/QuinnCurio/videos

Jose - fantastic deep dives into old sitcoms! the rosanne one was really great, and he presented the clips in a way that I'm not going to lie, made me a bit misty. Jose is the only person on this list that does reviews of terrible books like Jenny does. I wish more people did terrible book videos because I've re-watched her book reviews... a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/c/Jos%C3%A9Tube/videos

Super Eyepatch Wolf - Irish anime guy, occasionally funny, but mostly informative. huge shounen fan, also big wrestlehead but you can skip those videos, even if your best friend wants you to watch them
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtGoikgbxP4F3rgI9PldI9g/videos

Struccimovies - Shannon Stucci has been involved in something you like, probably. she's no Neil Cicerega, but her name keeps popping up (most notably for viewers in this thread is that she collabs a lot with hbomberguy, and co-wrote his scanline series) Fake Friends is actually a must watch
https://www.youtube.com/c/StrucciMovies/videos

Bobvids - funniest goon, has the best takedown of cinemasins, and also made the best video
https://www.youtube.com/c/bobvids/videos

Jon Bois - likes to tell some Pretty Good stories (also check out Secret Base, the sbnation spinoff where he's creative director!)
https://www.youtube.com/user/jonbois/videos

Infranaut - really fantastic videos, mostly about examining media, but they just put out a great video about qanon
https://www.youtube.com/c/Infranaut/videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

egg tats posted:

Jon Bois - likes to tell some Pretty Good stories (also check out Secret Base, the sbnation spinoff where he's creative director!)
https://www.youtube.com/user/jonbois/videos

The later Pretty Good's are only on Secret Base as well. All round they make great content even for a non-sports lover like me, the dorktown history of the Seattle Mariners was maybe the best YouTube content of 2020. Jon just has a magnificent storyteller energy and he makes pretty much anything interesting to me.

Also some of the early Pretty Good's have been lost to petty copyright strikes so watch them while you can. Episode 4 is the only one you can't find with a bit of digging though.

e: If you like Jenny's content specifically then Sarah Z, Quinn Curio, and Quinton Reviews are good pulls. That said Breadsword's video on all the Scooby-Doo movies is very Jenny-esque.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egly8F-ZCaY

Queer Salutations fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 18, 2021

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

JordanKai posted:

I am once again begging all of you not to turn this into a PYF Bad Takes thread from people that aren't even online video producers. :negative:

im quoting this from 4 pages back to say i had those jimmy wales messages on wikipedia pop into my head reading it and it made me laugh and i decided to make this post saying so regardless of wherever this accursed thread is now as i catch up

thanks everyone

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Violen posted:

im quoting this from 4 pages back to say i had those jimmy wales messages on wikipedia pop into my head reading it and it made me laugh and i decided to make this post saying so regardless of wherever this accursed thread is now as i catch up

thanks everyone

The e-mails Jimmy Wales sends are even worse because they genuinely give off the air that he is about to kill himself if you don't send him donations.

The top one is from 2019 and I blocked Jimmy after receiving it because it really shocked me for a moment. And from what I understand Wikipedia isn't in dire financial straits at all, so they have no business sending guilt trip messages like this.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Thanks for arguing about fan fiction. It was fun to read.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Thanks folks, so far I'm enjoying Quinn Curio and Sphere Hunter. I will decline to mention which two I have switched off of after 5 minutes of video :v:

egg tats posted:

Jose - fantastic deep dives into old sitcoms! the rosanne one was really great, and he presented the clips in a way that I'm not going to lie, made me a bit misty. Jose is the only person on this list that does reviews of terrible books like Jenny does. I wish more people did terrible book videos because I've re-watched her book reviews... a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/c/Jos%C3%A9Tube/videos

drat I hope I enjoy this guy as a content creator when I get around to him, sitcom deep dives sounds very fun.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Since she didn't make the big list, I'll give a little shoutout to Strange Aeons too. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrq3JYirgV-BLluzTF6X_7A

She does a mix of bad book reviews, little dives into weird Internet stuff and dives into Tumblr to give old millennials like me a brief look at what the zoomers are getting up to. Her energy might be a little too high or ironic, but she's not shouty and probably one of the few that actually captures Jenny's tone of being really dry and ironic without being too mean or cynical.

Also maybe Movie Nights (Allison Pregler): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrq3JYirgV-BLluzTF6X_7A

I haven't watched as much of her since deep dives into Baywatch and Charmed didn't interest me as much, but her videos on a terrible celebrity ghost hunting game show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GxA7ou3WDs and a shockingly bad Bigfoot documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i3jNneYwRI are close to Jenny's videos.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Zhara deserves more views, she does pretty good deep dives into media not a lot of people are covering. I think she's going on a break for a while tho.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
In case anyone wants this again: if you add this code as a bookmark url, then click on it, it'll only show the posts in this thread (or any SA thread) that have links to youtube videos/embedded youtube videos:

code:
(function(){ $('table.post').filter(function() { return $(this).find('.postbody > iframe.youtube-player, .postbody > a[href*="youtu"]').length === 0 }).hide() })()
People will post interesting videos in this thread a lot and then there'll be 100 new posts by the time I'm ready to check them out. Makes them easier to find if you do this.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

I like Jenny more but swell entertainment has a pretty similar tone and often subject matter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuukF24LY_k

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

A dapper guy who reviews various garbage super cheap alcohols. The gimmick is he's an unemployed sommelier so the reviews are in that style (though they lean much more into jokey territory)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX6mpxuYig8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7EDDm9cJI

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Casey Finnigan posted:

In case anyone wants this again: if you add this code as a bookmark url, then click on it, it'll only show the posts in this thread (or any SA thread) that have links to youtube videos/embedded youtube videos:

code:
(function(){ $('table.post').filter(function() { return $(this).find('.postbody > iframe.youtube-player, .postbody > a[href*="youtu"]').length === 0 }).hide() })()
People will post interesting videos in this thread a lot and then there'll be 100 new posts by the time I'm ready to check them out. Makes them easier to find if you do this.

Watching people's heads spin around, detach from their bodies, and fly off with their digestive tracts in tow over inane tweets is one of the most delightful parts of this thread.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Farm Frenzy posted:

I like Jenny more but swell entertainment has a pretty similar tone and often subject matter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuukF24LY_k

I can't believe two different videos about bad Bigfoot documentaries just got linked on the same page hahaha.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Does anyone know if Frozen Particle is a chud or something? Their doom vids popped up in my recommended page and I can never get enough doom

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
This doesn't quite fall into the realm of this thread, but I do think it's an interesting look into why Cyperpunk ad a genre feels so inert.

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1351450749167951872?s=19

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DrVenkman posted:

This doesn't quite fall into the realm of this thread, but I do think it's an interesting look into why Cyperpunk ad a genre feels so inert.

My hot take on that is because most people are only invested in it on a purely superficial level and tend to actively get angry with it when it tries to say or do anything that isn't "cyberpunk" with "cyberpunk" having been reduced to, basically, that image in that tweet: pink and blue. Maybe a pixel car driving into the horizon if you want to add some sweet retro into the mix. I genuinely don't know where the pink and blue comes from, honestly; a lot of the media I'd consumed over the years that would be considered Cyberpunk didn't really do that, certainly a lot of them had bright neon colours but typically they weren't faded pastels and were often used in contrast with the landscape.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cyberpunk cannot be sold as anything but an aesthetic because the master will not allow his tools to be used to dismantle the house.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I don't think there's as much popular stuff that tries to grapple with the near-future as there used to be in general. Seems like everything is about being nostalgic right now.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

cyberpunk has never gotten that popular unless you have a really broad definition of it because its very easily diluted into other sci fi or just standard hollywood action movies

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I always enjoyed the cyberpunk aesthetic partly out of nostalgia and partly cause it fits the fashion sense that I've developed over the years. On a deeper level I find postcyberpunk to be a lot more interesting when it comes to the world and how characters interact with the world.

Nuebot posted:

My hot take on that is because most people are only invested in it on a purely superficial level and tend to actively get angry with it when it tries to say or do anything that isn't "cyberpunk" with "cyberpunk" having been reduced to, basically, that image in that tweet: pink and blue. Maybe a pixel car driving into the horizon if you want to add some sweet retro into the mix. I genuinely don't know where the pink and blue comes from, honestly; a lot of the media I'd consumed over the years that would be considered Cyberpunk didn't really do that, certainly a lot of them had bright neon colours but typically they weren't faded pastels and were often used in contrast with the landscape.

Probably an influence from the Cybergoth fashion when a raver tripped and fell into the cyberpunk vat.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Honestly, if the game had turned out as good as it promised, folks might all be having a very different conversation right now.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Well the original article (from 2018. Not sure why it’s being tweeted about now) got its head stuck up its rear end a little at the end. “We need to keep paying attention”, blah blah blah; it was never going to have that kind of effect on the world. Very, very few works of fiction ever do, and even they mostly just serve as focal points for cultural shifts that were going to happen anyway. People really need to stop expecting movies to have this massive effect on other people’s worldviews. What they can do is give someone an outlet for beliefs they already hold, and that's still important but it's not going to change anything.

Nevertheless Cyberpunk was, and still is, a niche genre but one with perennial appeal. Neon-lit nights packed with mystery and danger, and urban outlaws forging their own paths in the face of a corrupt and uncaring world, will never not be cool to imagine. It’s just that you can’t hang an entire story on just those broad concepts, which is what a lot of imitators don’t realize. And this is hardly unique to cyberpunk; it’s the same problem most creatives stumble into when they consciously try to ape a style that has become iconic, which is that they end up copying the surface elements but not the underlying heart that made it work.

Watch Bennett the Sage’s videos on the Ghost in the Shell remake and you’ll see over and over again where the filmmakers brought in the iconography of the anime, but severed from its original context, and thus rendered worthless. Like cargo cultists building something that looks sort of like an airfield and hoping that’ll make planes appear.

But the reverse of this is also true, in that wallpapering over a badly-written story with a novel aesthetic won’t magically fix it. And that’s what the stuff in that tweet thread amounts to. “Gulf Futurism, Sino Futurism, Afro Futurism” amount to just changes in visual design, while “contemporary sociopolitical ills” seems like shorthand for shallow references to contemporary pop culture because the main sociopolitical concerns reflected in 80s cyberpunk; about poverty, environmental destruction, increasing corporate power and so on, are as relevant today as they were then.

Tl;dr: If you make a good retro-style cyberpunk story today, people will love it. But first it has to be a good story.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jan 19, 2021

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BrianWilly posted:

Honestly, if the game had turned out as good as it promised, folks might all be having a very different conversation right now.

whats funny is the game is GOOD, its just unfinished and you can see where they took a scalpel to stuff. basically from the jason article and others. cdpr feel into the bioware magic hole but with other issues too. witcher 3 had similar issues technically and poo poo when it first came out and now its amazing thanks to addons and lots of patches and etc.

on cyberpunk . the game is the way it is because its based on a pen and paper game from the 80s/90s that was more of a dude combining stuff he liked from the genre and trying to write American 2000 AD type setting. CDPR put their own spin on that by toning down/up a bunch of stuff and rewriting johnny silverhands character a bunch.

on the genre. i think its because most people have only heard of blade runner/ghost in the shell and maybe Neuromancer, so alot of folks just "go with what they know" its kind of like how alot of fantasy are some sort of Tolkien type place or GRRM type stuff now. people see the surface level poo poo and either like it or bounce off. like i bounce off most fantasy for various reasons outside like the witcher because that doesn't "feel" like fantasy. i feel like its the same way with cyberpunk stuff.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 19, 2021

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
cyberpunk is when someone says "i'm going to jack in" instead of "i'm going to jack off"

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

DrVenkman posted:

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1351450749167951872?s=19

Yaaaaasssssss

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

whats funny is the game is GOOD, its just unfinished and you can see where they took a scalpel to stuff. basically from the jason article and others. cdpr feel into the bioware magic hole but with other issues too. witcher 3 had similar issues technically and poo poo when it first came out and now its amazing thanks to addons and lots of patches and etc.

on cyberpunk . the game is the way it is because its based on a pen and paper game from the 80s/90s that was more of a dude combining stuff he liked from the genre and trying to write American 2000 AD type setting. CDPR put their own spin on that by toning down/up a bunch of stuff and rewriting johnny silverhands character a bunch.

on the genre. i think its because most people have only heard of blade runner/ghost in the shell and maybe Neuromancer, so alot of folks just "go with what they know" its kind of like how alot of fantasy are some sort of Tolkien type place or GRRM type stuff now. people see the surface level poo poo and either like it or bounce off. like i bounce off most fantasy for various reasons outside like the witcher because that doesn't "feel" like fantasy. i feel like its the same way with cyberpunk stuff.

I mean you need to add a lot of stuff to punk. Like a non poo poo crafting system, the story they said they were doing but didn’t, and a functioning AI.

Also the tech stuff as well, probably

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
I still like the name neonliberal. They are hopeful stories where capitalism continues unrestrained and anyone can get rich with enough hustle. Cyber-hustle.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
cyberpunk is when a cyber-cop employed by a global megacorporation kills an old man who was illegally using his cyber-heart after failing to renew his subscription for it and says "i didn't feel good about icing the old Skeeter1, but i'll feel better after i go home and jack in"

1. cyber-slang for old people who use cyber-organs

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
cyberpunk is a group of men sitting in the lobby of a holo-brothel, wearing goggles, sucking on vape pens

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
i'd buy that for a dollar!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean you need to add a lot of stuff to punk. Like a non poo poo crafting system, the story they said they were doing but didn’t, and a functioning AI.

Also the tech stuff as well, probably

agreed. it wouldnt shock me if they do fix and expand poo poo because their company is on the line now. i guess i am overly soft because alot of games i loved came out as broken unfinished messes and were than transformed into better/great games.

Also. is robocop cyberpunk because i love 1 and 2.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the assorted 'punk' genres always have some pretty strong ~discourse~ in them about how 'punk' they actually are vs how the label is meant to be and all. This is kinda a gray area in, say, Steampunk where yes it is 100% true that it's extremely not-punk that 90% of steampunk cosplay and art is clearly using upper class fashion and characters and all but also most 'classical steampunk' stuff also was like that so I'd argue the genre just doesn't deserve a punk label to begin with rather than it needing to be decided what elements of it get it.

In cyberpunk, though, it's super clear that the point is the dystopia and the focus on people struggling and all, as well as the synthesis of cultures that globalized worlds make. So yea poo poo like Cyberpunk 2027 just treating all that as, at best, set dressing makes it less 'cyberpunk' and more the term I've grown to absolutely adore for this poo poo, 'neonliberal'. Cyberpunk probably is the genre that suffers the most from having its aesthetic stripped and sanitized, because the commentary is so crucial to the genre as a whole. Even if you don't politically align with the idea that capitalism inherently creates evil you wind up still missing any kind of...bite...to the setting if it's just 'wow cool katanas and neon lights and time to JACK IN to my HOLONET'. Like, without the commentary it's just a generic action setting with at best the occasional cool computer sequence? At least if you take away the grand drama of 'space opera' that divide it from generic space set sci-fi you still have cool space naval fights and all to scatter in and keep things interesting, and I'd consider space opera number two on the list of 'you can't just strip-mine this for style you need to understand it'. That's how big the jump is when you gently caress up cyberpunk!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Civvie finally does it. He's gone and done Half Life

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH7bxHHJsy4

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Cyberpunk purism: Neuromancer is cyberpunk
Cyberpunk rebel: Mega Man Battle Network is cyberpunk

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

JordanKai posted:

Battle Network is literally one of the most cyberpunk creations of the modern day and in this essay I will...

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

sexpig by night posted:

Yea the assorted 'punk' genres always have some pretty strong ~discourse~ in them about how 'punk' they actually are vs how the label is meant to be and all. This is kinda a gray area in, say, Steampunk where yes it is 100% true that it's extremely not-punk that 90% of steampunk cosplay and art is clearly using upper class fashion and characters and all but also most 'classical steampunk' stuff also was like that so I'd argue the genre just doesn't deserve a punk label to begin with rather than it needing to be decided what elements of it get it.

In cyberpunk, though, it's super clear that the point is the dystopia and the focus on people struggling and all, as well as the synthesis of cultures that globalized worlds make. So yea poo poo like Cyberpunk 2027 just treating all that as, at best, set dressing makes it less 'cyberpunk' and more the term I've grown to absolutely adore for this poo poo, 'neonliberal'. Cyberpunk probably is the genre that suffers the most from having its aesthetic stripped and sanitized, because the commentary is so crucial to the genre as a whole. Even if you don't politically align with the idea that capitalism inherently creates evil you wind up still missing any kind of...bite...to the setting if it's just 'wow cool katanas and neon lights and time to JACK IN to my HOLONET'. Like, without the commentary it's just a generic action setting with at best the occasional cool computer sequence? At least if you take away the grand drama of 'space opera' that divide it from generic space set sci-fi you still have cool space naval fights and all to scatter in and keep things interesting, and I'd consider space opera number two on the list of 'you can't just strip-mine this for style you need to understand it'. That's how big the jump is when you gently caress up cyberpunk!

"You can't tell a robot from a human, but you can tell a rich man from a poor one" etc etc.

Also imo any cyperpunk setting should feel hopeless. The corporations are so rich, so powerful, and have so thoroughly neutered any means of resistance to their pseudo-rule by either the masses or governments that nothing even the most accomplished street samurai crew can throw at them will do more than vaguely irritate them. Even if you pull off the biggest heist and steal the deepest darkest secret of the most powerful corp around... well you'll maybe get their CEO or more likely a few underlings blamed for it all to resign, maybe they'll agree to pay some pittance of a fee if they're feeling generous, but ultimately they'll still be around and all you'll get for your efforts is a lifetime of being hunted for temporarily embarrassing them. There is no overthrowing or really affecting any meaningful change on the systems of power, because they are just too entrenched and stagnate.

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Some More News - Orange Man Indeed Bad: 100 Years of Trump

https://youtu.be/amBAOAPLj-M

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

JordanKai posted:

One of the major plots in MMBN is that because everything is online, it's possible for hackers to hold people hostage in their own homes by hijacking the stove/ventilation/water. Also Mega Man was a human boy who died as a baby and then his dad uploaded his ghost to a smartphone, and then he spends the next decade pretending to be a glorified Siri. No word on if his Mom had any say in the matter. It's an interesting concept that is never addressed by the story in any satisfying way. Is it Cyberpunk? Heck if I know.

E: I guess it's more that the premise has the bones of a Cyberpunk story but the general tone is "Capcom GBA spinoff for children" so it never goes anywhere.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jan 19, 2021

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The aesthetic is more generic retro 80's than it is Cyberpunk but The Protomen absolutely nail the futuristic dystopia thing. They even created a sense of unending hopelessness in a meta sense by teasing Act III for over a decade but never releasing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Cyberpunk probably is the genre that suffers the most from having its aesthetic stripped and sanitized, because the commentary is so crucial to the genre as a whole. Even if you don't politically align with the idea that capitalism inherently creates evil you wind up still missing any kind of...bite...to the setting if it's just 'wow cool katanas and neon lights and time to JACK IN to my HOLONET'. Like, without the commentary it's just a generic action setting with at best the occasional cool computer sequence?

I feel like the relative success of the Shadowpunk RPGs, or at least it seemed like they went over pretty well, was due to this. They didn't go particularly hard on a revolutionary spirit, other than a few jabs at the nightmare of the megacorps and missions beating up the future KKK, but it still had a distinct story and setting because they went all on it, especially the relative hopeless of greater change.